Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/11/2008, 1:28 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Post The End of an Era: MADtv Has Been Cancelled

Well if you have been tuning into the forum the past few days you all most likely have heard the news that Fox is canceling MADtv. Many of us knew that this day was coming, although it doesn't make it any easier to swallow. For years the rumour mill surrounding MADtv's fate have been churning, and the show has for the past 2 seasons narrowly escaped cancelltion. When season 13 aired many thought that it was the end, but with the upcoming election, Fox decided to give the show one last chance, and even a new setting, but it was not to be. The reason for the canceling as told by Fox is due to economic reasons, which roughly means that the show was becoming too expensive to produce.

Though the show is now on borrowed time on FOX, this may not be the end for our favourite sketch show. QDE Boss and MADtv Executive Producer David Salzman, has released statements stating that he wants to shop the show around to another network and see if there is any interest. Salzman states "We've had a number of networks inquire as to whether the show was coming off FOX and saying that they'd be interested. We have not started to talk to them yet, but now is the time to begin those conversations. I think we have real prospects, but you never know, especially given the economy."

In order to shop the show around Salzman is trying to find some ways to cut costs. Salzman also credits Fox for announcing the cancellation of the show now, and not in May as it gives the show some time to look for a new home. So by this news MADtv may not be dead just yet, it may just be moving to a new home.

The early announcement also means that it will make it possible for the show to go out with a bang. Salzman states "This will give us a proper sendoff, a chance to promote the finale and bring back old cast members". The reruns on Comedy Central will also be coming to an end at the end of this year - which Salzman thinks could be a blessing if a network were to express interest in both new episodes and the shows extensive back-catalogue, or just one of the options.

For 14 years MADtv has been a staple on Saturday nights. In a world that was solely dominated by one sketch show (Saturday Night Live) MADtv showed the world that there is an alternative. Many networks had tried to face the big giant, but always fell short, most of the times with the shows not getting past a first season. MADtv not only passed it's first season, it went the distance, maintaining a a core audience for 14 years which is a tremendous feat for a show that has recieved minimal promotion from its network, continual budget cuts and format changes. The day when MADtv goes off the air will be a big loss for the television community, as it will be the end of one of televisions greatest institutions.

Last edited by tvmanismadformad; 11/13/2008 at 2:04 PM.

Old 11/11/2008, 1:28 PM
Fresh Meat

Default MadTV Canceled

It will be announced soon, but Fox is canceling MadTV. They're still deciding when the final episode will be, but it's coming soon sorry to say...
Old 11/11/2008, 1:38 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

I'm going to ask people not to believe this. I always want to say this when this is brought or seen by an nonfactual source. There needs to be a link to an article, or some notice by someone who has contacts for it to be true.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)
Old 11/11/2008, 1:41 PM
Fresh Meat

I don't blame you for being skeptical... I almost didn't post because there's really no reason for you to believe me. I can't post an article because it's not public yet, but I work on the show and they just let us know. That's all I can tell you because of the NDAs they have us sign.

But I agree, take it with a grain of salt...unfortunately you'll see soon enough.
Old 11/11/2008, 1:51 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

You know what? I don't have any reason to believe this, but I'm not surprised if it's true, seeing how they just axed King of the Hill.

Old 11/11/2008, 1:52 PM
Fresh Meat

I'm told they're moving Talk Show up earlier into our spot.
Old 11/11/2008, 1:56 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

THAT seems a little illogical to me. If MADtv is getting axed, TalkShow should be axed too. The ratings for that show were always terrible.

That being said, it's still somewhat believable. Spike Feresten doesn't need as big a budget as MADtv.

Old 11/11/2008, 1:58 PM
Fresh Meat

And I'd imagine Fox will be making a push for Leno, which means they need to see what's Spike's really made of if he's gonna follow a big dog like that. Oh well, they have some funny stuff on that show. I wish them no ill will, it sounds like our show's undoing was on its own, and had nothing to do with Talk Show or any other show. Some of us have seen this coming for a while.
Old 11/11/2008, 2:01 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADfan2004 View Post
You know what? I don't have any reason to believe this, but I'm not surprised if it's true, seeing how they just axed King of the Hill.
That's what I was thinking too, and they also but Brad Garret's show on hiadus and brought back American Dad, so I question why they would make this decision 11 days after this.

Also, Little Birdie, what do/did you do on MADtv, because if you know not only that it's being cancelled, but what's going in it's place, I really want to know your status (no offense at all).

Rise from the Dead!

Old 11/11/2008, 2:04 PM
Fresh Meat

None taken, but if I told you what I do then wouldn't that make it pretty easy for my bosses to figure out that I'm posting this before they release it?

The Talk Show rumor is floating around amongst everyone here. I don't have any special status, it's a small crew. Once one person hears something, we all hear it.
Old 11/11/2008, 2:23 PM
Hardcore Fan

That's a shame. It's really FOX's fault that S13 happened, and while S14 hasn't been stellar, it certainly shows that they are going somewhere. Unless FOX gets Leno, I REALLY don't see anything coming close to MAD's ratings opposite SNL.
Old 11/11/2008, 2:36 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Why I also think this isn't happening is because MADfan pointed out that on last Sunday's Family Guy had a MADtv preview in the commercials, which never happens.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 11/11/2008, 2:44 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
That's a shame. It's really FOX's fault that S13 happened, and while S14 hasn't been stellar, it certainly shows that they are going somewhere. Unless FOX gets Leno, I REALLY don't see anything coming close to MAD's ratings opposite SNL.
I agree wholeheartedly. But with that said, it's not like FOX has never purposely screwed over a show to try to kill it. MADtv probably got screwed the worst because, while they didn't get moved to a shitty timeslot, they got a HUGE format overhaul, which none of the other shows got.

I don't think FOX will get Leno, though. I think he'll just bow out of the talk show game once he leaves NBC. Assuming this is all true (because we don't have any concrete proof yet), I'd imagine that Spike Feresten would get MADtv's budget, and they'd start getting some actual decent caliber guests.

Old 11/11/2008, 2:45 PM
Hardcore Fan

But really, given the choice, SNL or a guy named Spike Feresten who you've likely never heard of who has a talk show? At least as it stands now a lot of people know what MADtv is, and have likely seen SOME MADtv material online.
Old 11/11/2008, 2:54 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

True enough. But I'd imagine Spike Feresten is making more ground with the Lil' Bill O'Reilly skits.

And they'd probably keep his show a half-hour, so there wouldn't be a drop-off in the ratings once SNL started. So their whole Saturday late night lineup will end at 11:30.

Old 11/11/2008, 3:41 PM
26/07/16!!

Its a bit of a joke if they cancel MADtv. The show should move to better network that actually promotes a show that has lasted 14 seasons which is quite disrespectful if you look at that fact. Im pretty sure MADtv has a much larger international audience than SNL as well, i hope this this rumour is not true!

Old 11/11/2008, 3:46 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funny_guy View Post
Im pretty sure MADtv has a much larger international audience than SNL as well
What makes you say that?

Old 11/11/2008, 4:35 PM
MADtv Fan Since 1995 EST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Birdie View Post
None taken, but if I told you what I do then wouldn't that make it pretty easy for my bosses to figure out that I'm posting this before they release it?

The Talk Show rumor is floating around amongst everyone here. I don't have any special status, it's a small crew. Once one person hears something, we all hear it.
As you know, i do not ever believe anything people say like you

you come on the site saying rumors, actually basically starting a rumor about a show and then when someone ask you what do you know and you won't say anything because you do not want to the bosses too see what you said before it releases makes you a asshole, do not come on here to disclose information like that if you are not going to provide any sources.
Old 11/11/2008, 4:41 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Thinking about sean's comments does make me wonder too. If this means that your getting laid off the show, then what does it matter if you tell us who you are?

Rise from the Dead!

Old 11/11/2008, 4:56 PM
MADtv Fan Since 1995 EST.

Now I'm pissed off because a show like MADtv never gets any type of NEWS time or respect should end its reign in Comedy, there is not allot of comedy today in Late Night and i will be damn if SNL be the only thing going. its BULLSHIT!!