Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/06/2008, 12:39 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Post Parker Goes Green For Broadway

In a not-so-surprising turn of events, Nicole Parker -- whose 6 year tenure on MADtv will shortly be coming to an end -- has landed herself a once in a lifetime role. And it's not on television.

On January 13th 2009, Nicole will be debuting her impression of a well known, green skinned young witch named Elphaba in the Broadway production of Gregory Maguires "Wicked". For those of you unfamiliar with the show, it's basically one of the greatest and most popular musical productions of all time and is shown all over the world. The Broadway show is the original, and apparently greatest, of all its incarnations. So great that you need to book tickets 6 months in advance.

Those of us who have watched Nicole's career blossom over the past 6 years should have seen subtle hints as to where her career was ultimately headed, the role that she so rightly deserves, and a role that millions of girls all over the world would kill for. Lets look at the signs, shall we?

1) Prior to MADtv, she established a musical theatre company called Waterwell Production.
2) Seasons 9 and 10 of MADtv saw frequent and regular parodies of the Wizard of Oz, the story that inspired the author of Wicked to pen his novel about the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West.
3) Nicole's recent foray into Broadway, in the short-lived "Fame Becomes Me" was a clue that she was dipping her toes in the Broadway pond.
4) And finally, prior to Parker-Insider Zesty's announcement that Nicole was joining the show, there was the youtube video circulating of Nicole as Sarah Palin performing a parody of the song "Defying Gravity".

Nicole's blatently obvious musical genius and all the factors that tie into this role make me think that she was destined to play the Wicked Witch. And just so everyone knows, Elphaba is the star of Wicked - the Broadway show is ALL ABOUT HER. So Nicole is going to be the STAR of the biggest show on Broadway. This is an amazing recognition of her talent, and there is no doubt in my mind that any fans she is yet to convert will be easily be swayed by the intoxicating beauty of her voice. Let's all take this moment to congratulate Nicole on all the success she has had thus far, all the success that is no doubt waiting for her in years to come, and finally, since she will in some form have the contents of this thread relayed to her...

thank her for providing us with 6 years of incredible laughs, astounding impressions and amazing musical performances on MADtv.

As a person who has been an unfaltering fans for the last 6 years, all I can say is Nicole, you are truly one of a kind. You will be sorely missed.

Old 11/06/2008, 12:54 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

It feels like we have watched her grow, all of us, and now she is spreading her wings and flying off to do better things. This does make me sad because I will most likely never go to New York so I will never see her in this.
The ending of this is sad. I think that is one of the worst things about a castmember leaving mid-season. Unlike leaving abruptly at the end of the season where you don't see it coming, when someones time on the show is known as a fact to have almost an exact end date I think it's harder, because it's like watching a family member on there death bed. You know how much time they have, and your dreading the day it comes.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)
Old 11/06/2008, 1:58 AM
Obsessed!

Here's a link to the official play bill article: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/123053.html

This is so exciting! I'm so sad she's leaving Mad, but I really really want to get over to New York to see her in Wicked!!!! She is so talented! Congrats Nicole! You deserve it!

- "He looka lika man." - Bunny Swan
-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Tcha...ya know what? Huh-uh!" - The Vancome Lady
-"You're so sexy!" - 2-Litre Beth
-"Look how little my gloves are!" - Dot Goddard
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
-"Look what I can do!" ~ Stuart
Old 11/06/2008, 2:20 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

She's the star of Wicked? Fantabulous!

I thought she just got a part in the play, but landing the star role... That's amazing!

Old 11/06/2008, 3:14 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I saw Wicked back when it started out in San Francisco in 2003, and never thought it would reach the fame that it would. And then Nicole Parker is joining the cast in the leading role on Broadway, truly amazing. I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said, but I'm incredibly pleased to hear this.

All I have is a thousand congratulations for all the laughs on MADtv, and I hope the best for Nicole in her future. She definitely is on the path towards becoming one of the most well known alumni post-MADtv. Only the best!
Old 11/06/2008, 6:05 AM
Hardcore Fan

Wow, this is amazing. Go Nicole!
Old 11/06/2008, 9:03 AM
Groggy

Finally! She deserves nothing less with her talents and passions in acting and singing. Congratulations Nicole!

All the best for the future!
Old 11/06/2008, 4:43 PM
Totally F****able

That is so freakin amazing!

And Wicked is such a huge musical, every girl on broadway dreams of being elphaba....so unbelievably awesome.

Congrats Nicole!

Old 11/07/2008, 3:54 AM
Hardcore Fan

so, wonder where nicoleparkerfan is to celebrate this breakthrough.
Old 11/08/2008, 6:55 PM
dfsvrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_light_888 View Post
so, wonder where nicoleparkerfan is to celebrate this breakthrough.
I'M BUSY ORDERING TICKETS! Man, I already screamed so loud, I'm surprised you couldn't hear it over there in Korea!

I'm so fucking excited!!!!!!!!!! Great. Now I sound like a preppy bitch.

Old 11/09/2008, 8:07 PM
Fresh Meat

Default So Excited she is going GREEN

AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited she is going to be playing the role of Elphaba!!! I got my tickets already. Front row baby!!!! I have heard her sing a mock version of Defying Gravity as Sarah Palin and she sounded pretty good. I can't wait to see what she will do with the role. I know she will be great
Old 11/09/2008, 11:06 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i'm wanting to travel round america again,but i'm sure by the time i have the time and $$$ to do it,nicole won't be there anymore
Old 11/10/2008, 5:53 PM
dfsvrg

I told all my friends at school about this and how I was really really really really happy and excited and they were like "WTF?? You are so not into this stuff. And when are you happy?"

Exact words.

I told them to go to hell.

Old 11/10/2008, 10:00 PM
Groggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleparkerfan8 View Post
I told them to go to hell.
Good for you

All the best for the future!
Old 11/11/2008, 3:17 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

At first I didn't understand why the title was 'Green For Broadway.'

Then I realised she was playing a green-skinned witch *slaps self on head*.

Old 11/24/2008, 4:27 PM
dfsvrg

I was having a little trouble picturing her all green, so I took the liberty of making this picture:

Nicole all green.JPG

Old 11/25/2008, 6:03 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

That picture is just...

Old 11/25/2008, 2:30 PM
dfsvrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
That picture is just...
Helpful. I know...

Old 12/14/2008, 2:27 PM
Fresh Meat

Default Great news!

As disappointed as I am that MadTV is soon to be disappearing into TV history, I really look forward to seeing the future careers of the cast, and Nicole in particular. There seems to be no end to her range and her uninhibited style has kept me laughing for years.

My anger and disappointment at the end of MadTV MIGHT be ameliorated if they get off their chairwarmers and put out some DVDs of past seasons.

Old 01/24/2009, 12:46 PM
Totally F****able

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...vr65/npwicked/

pictures I saved from the Broadway behind the scenes paragraph of Nicole's first week of performances in "Wicked"

Also someone posted audio on YouTube of Nicole singing "Defying Gravity" during her 3rd performance. Some of the comments that people left are pretty cruel but I think she did a good job considering she had her normal rehearsal time cut in half

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAvPk6PtHyE