Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/22/2008, 10:10 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Post Season 14 of MADtv: Update #4

After the shocking news regarding old McDonald, do I dare ask if it is okay to hit you with another Season 14 "MADtv" update so soon? Just hold my hand, and I promise you that we will get through this difficult time together. While it will be nearly impossible for us to top that H-bomb from the last update, our bag of surprises is far from empty. When we left you last time, we were still awaiting confirmation on five established cast members; suffice it to say that we are now down to three. In "American Idol" lingo, one of the two cast members mentioned in this report is safely through to Season 14; the other is going home. Consider your agony no longer prolonged, for it is now time to reveal their fates.

How many diehard Johnny Sanchez fans do we have out there? Ah, I see the hands of two family members -- good, good. Well, your prayers have been answered; for your man will definitely be returning for Season 14. Seriously, though, Johnny began showing some real promise and even a little diversity toward the end of Season 13; so not all is lost. (Would he therefore be a "Johnny come lately"? I will take my beatings now, thank you.) At any rate, here's hoping that he can continue that winning streak next season. Whether he will remains to be seen; still, it might behoove us "MADtv" fans to remain optimistic until we see evidence to the contrary. Then again, it might not -- your call. Nevertheless, rest assured that Mr. Sanchez will have another full season to carve his "MADtv" niche; that is, if fourteen episodes can indeed be called a "full season." Johnny, despite the ribbing, we at Planet MADtv do wish you the best of luck with your second season.

Depending on your perspective, the following news on the aforementioned departing cast member may or may not be terribly shocking; however, I dare say that it will ruffle a few collars just the same. Ladies and gentlemen, I am dismayed to report to you that the unfortunate axe of doom swings in the direction of talented Season 13 featured player Dan Oster. Since there is only one appropriate response to this ousting, I hope that I am at liberty to speak for all of you Dan fans when I say, "Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!" Apparently, being the one featured player who was signed on for more than four Season 13 episodes does not count for much in the land of "MADtv." Would I sound overly bitter and whiny if I noted that those who begin as full-fledged cast members have an automatic edge over the featured folks, no matter how well the latter prove themselves? Even if you answered in the negative, then you will likely refute that claim anyway by agreeing that Dan seemed almost a shoo-in for full-time status next season. While it would not be fair to begrudge Johnny his Season 14 confirmation, one has to admit that the show's decision to send Danny Boy packing is a head-scratcher, the likes of which will no doubt make serious contemplators go bald. If we were keeping score in golf, then "MADtv" would have just racked up another quadruple bogey in a round already rife with them. (There is a "par for the course" reference there that is just dying to manifest itself.) Dan, we at Planet MADtv wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors; it's just a crying shame that the fourteenth season of FOX's Saturday night sketch comedy series will not factor among them.

Chew on these developments while you can, folks. Before you know it, we will be serving up another heaping platter of bewildering Season 14 information. If you can handle the bitter truth, then stay tuned to Planet MADtv for further updates!

"We can dig it!"

Old 06/22/2008, 11:19 PM
Obsessed!

Are you kidding me right now? They actually got rid of Dan? NO offense Johnny, I didn't enjoy your humor much personally, hopefully it will grow on me more next season, but I wont say your not talented because you are, but I thought Dan was hilarious, and showed a lot promise and he had that style of comedy that I thought fit in well with the old Mad Tv and the current cast. They better be keeping Daheli, if not I...I don't know what....are you stupid Mad?

Are these 100% confirmed reports? (I know the answer is yes, since these have been right every season basically, but i just need to ask)

You said we are down to three. Is Anjelah 100% out? I know they didn't ask her back for more episodes, but is there a chance she is coming back? Is the three Bobby, Daheli, and Anjelah?

- "He looka lika man." - Bunny Swan
-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Tcha...ya know what? Huh-uh!" - The Vancome Lady
-"You're so sexy!" - 2-Litre Beth
-"Look how little my gloves are!" - Dot Goddard
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
-"Look what I can do!" ~ Stuart
Old 06/22/2008, 11:32 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by potroastpig View Post
Are these 100% confirmed reports? (I know the answer is yes, since these have been right every season basically, but i just need to ask)
The best questions are the ones for which you can supply your own answers. They make our job that much easier.

Quote:
You said we are down to three. Is Anjelah 100% out? I know they didn't ask her back for more episodes, but is there a chance she is coming back? Is the three Bobby, Daheli, and Anjelah?
Bobby, Daheli, and Jordan are the three for whom we are awaiting 100% confirmation. Anjelah is looooooooooooong gone, I'm afraid.

"We can dig it!"
Old 06/22/2008, 11:41 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Damn, you guys are churning these out pretty fast now!

I'm not surprised Johnny's coming back. I don't know why anybody would be. Dan, however, I'm very surprised about. I definitely thought they would keep him around. But everyone said he was being pigeonholed into the host role that Josh Meyers and Pat Kilbane were. So I'm seeing a pattern here: Pat was on for three seasons, Josh for two, and Dan for only one. I'm guessing the next person to get that role will never actually appear on the show (Ted Michael anyone?).

Old 06/22/2008, 11:42 PM
Obsessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzimad View Post
Bobby, Daheli, and Jordan are the three for whom we are awaiting 100% confirmation. Anjelah is looooooooooooong gone, I'm afraid.
I didn't realize Jordan wasn't confirmed. I thought he was a long time ago. The things you learn lol.

I always hate seeing good featured players getting axed, Lisa D, Taran K, Kathryn F, and Gillian V, and now Dan O, prob. a matter of opinion but still it bothers me.

-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
Old 06/22/2008, 11:56 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

What the ! What is wrong with the people making these contracts on MAD! You keep Johnny, but you axe Dan, again what the ! Dan did much better than Johnny this season. Johnny's not bad, he just wasn't as good as Dan. I hate this, I am so mad at MAD (believe me, no pun inteneded, this is not a joking situation) right now. With Michael gone, and now Dan, I have never been so angry and scared for/at MADtv as I am now. God, Bhudda, Sun God Ra, every god out there, please help our show in it's time of need!

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)
Old 06/23/2008, 12:24 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

It's official, this show is seriously fucked up right now and yes I said it so sue me. I'm speechless and words can't describe shocked I am to hear that Dan is not being offered a contract renewal for S14. So I'm guessing next season is just going to be like 5 returning castmembers, and 7 new people? Just guesstimating right now.

Old 06/23/2008, 12:32 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

This show is in trouble. We are in deep shit here (I think it is appropriate for us all to sware right now). I don't understand why they wouldn't hire Dan. With a possible 6 castmembers (Nicole, Keegan, Bobby if he comes back for half a season, Eric Price, and Matt Braunger if they don't perform well) leaving next season, with a show that needs all the talent they can get, why not bring him back. What is the deal. I truly believe now that Fox is trying to commit television genocide on one of it's own, long-running shows. MAD deserves better than this. All of us deserve better than this!

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)
Old 06/23/2008, 1:27 AM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

simma down now everyone.its WAY too early to be hitting panic buttons.give the new cast a chance to prove themselves.

like many of you,i'm bummed dan has been axed and that johnny has been kept.I don't think johnny did anything good during his ep run,whilst dan definitely showed more promise and potential in his eps.I really don't get it.
But i won't give up on the show.
Remember after season 2 almost all of the original cast left and there were so many new people,a lot of whom turned in to all time fan favourites(alex borstein,anyone?)
Stop stressing and dissing the show(and new/returning cast) until they have actually put some eps to air.
Old 06/23/2008, 1:59 AM
26/07/16!!

They just seem to be in a constant rebuilding phase over the last few seasons with them not letting any new cast members settle into the show. Quite ridiculous they got rid of Dan I hope these new cast members can justify that decision.

Old 06/23/2008, 2:35 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

If you've read any of my episode reviews, losing Dan is a good step. I will admit that that actually losing a cast member is sad, and their presence is often missed, hell, I missed Ike this season, that means there's room for potentially more experienced people to step in. However, I do wish him the best in his career.

We've gotten rid of two white males, and replaced them with two new ones. I don't forsee any new male additions, and you can't tell me that Casey Wilson (SNL's new girl) is the only funny lady in the sketch comedy world. Get us some talented women! Daheli is has not proved herself to be one of them.

I still can't understand how we lost Nicole RJ. I can't tell you how many people I know who quote "Can I getchyo number!" My dorm ran rampant with "the back of your head is ridiculous!" Seriously, MADtv, Nicole was gold. I've seen a number of Facebook bumper stickers with her face on it and quotes from the sketch in the top "most bumper stickered" section. But enough on that topic...

I think MAD thinks every season might be their last. Why hire on someone for more money if you're just going to be canceled next year? It's a cost saver, possibly brings a new voice and writer to the staff, without actually costing them all that much. So Dan's dump could be a cost measure, or maybe the new guys they found are more talented.

Don't be a Season 13, Season 14.
Old 06/23/2008, 2:44 AM
Casual Fan

I'll tell you what - if someone were to round up all the quality comedians who ahve been axed by MADtv over the years and put them in a show, that show would be VERY funny.

This decision just stuns me...in a bad way
Old 06/23/2008, 6:14 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

What on earth?! Michael is gone, and now Dan is gone?! This is atrocious! An outrage! A controversy! Dan has shown so much promise, outshining Daheli and yet he still got cut! I smell a case of office politics here...

Mizzimad, I applaud your efforts to make Johnny sound even the slightest bit of good in your first post. I mean, so the executives can give him another chance to do better, but they can't bring back Dan, who is better? What the hell is this?! This is ridiculous.

So far, Season 14 is looking to be a downer. With every update it seems more bad news are coming in. Anyone else get the feeling someone out there is deliberately screwing MADtv up?
Old 06/23/2008, 9:24 AM
MADtv Fan Since 1995 EST.

i am just not liking how the show is going, Michael Leaves the damn show and now dan is gone that is bull crap...too me i feel like the fans have been screwed....

we had a writers strike right?

why don't everyone come back for this season too make up the episodes..so if bobby was leaving, he can leave...and now look Michael the guy that no one thought he would leave is gone...that is the most shocking thing i have heard since i do not know what..at this moment they need experience talent and too me at least the regulars should have came back.

overall this is the most shocking season ever losing Michael McDonald and some people saying he is not a big loss when he is...losing Dan which is really huge, losing Nicole Parker after 8 Episodes where is bad too, and just as well Jordan Peele and Daheil might be gone, excuse me but that is crap and i believe something needs to be change because i have been watching the show since 1995 and i have never seen them do something so dumb before...at this moment the show is doing horrible in my book.
Old 06/23/2008, 10:44 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

This show is going south. Period. Seems like everyone's leaving, especially the old-timers. Bobby, Michael, Nicole. You might hate them, but you have to admit, they brought the show to a new level. With them leaving, I'm not sure what is going to attract us fans anymore. And what about Crista, Jordan, and Keegan? Season 14 will be the Season that they will finish their contracts. Will they continue to stay, or depart? If so, the widespread change of cast in a possible Season 15 might turn people off, because at this point, there is no indication that Johnny and Arden can retain a fanbase by themselves.
Old 06/23/2008, 10:48 AM
Obsessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post

I still can't understand how we lost Nicole RJ. I can't tell you how many people I know who quote "Can I getchyo number!" My dorm ran rampant with "the back of your head is ridiculous!" Seriously, MADtv, Nicole was gold. I've seen a number of Facebook bumper stickers with her face on it and quotes from the sketch in the top "most bumper stickered" section. But enough on that topic...

100% agree. Nicole RJ was amazing, to add to that, I think they should of left both her and Danielle Gaither on the show. I think they both worked together well, (I loved the Nanny's sketch from season 11). But I wont go into my Danielle speech, but Nicole RJ's "can I getch yo number" character was popular. When non-mad tv fans talk about, recently, my one friend always quotes Stuart and Ms Swan, but started quoting that on too. As much as I loved some of the newer ex-castmembers (Lisa, Frank C, now Dan) letting Nicole go was their biggest mistake to date.

Old 06/23/2008, 12:15 PM
MADtv Fan Since 1995 EST.

i am just hoping Michael McDonald can just come back.
Old 06/23/2008, 1:29 PM
zlolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
If you've read any of my episode reviews, losing Dan is a good step. I will admit that that actually losing a cast member is sad, and their presence is often missed, hell, I missed Ike this season, that means there's room for potentially more experienced people to step in. However, I do wish him the best in his career.

We've gotten rid of two white males, and replaced them with two new ones. I don't forsee any new male additions, and you can't tell me that Casey Wilson (SNL's new girl) is the only funny lady in the sketch comedy world. Get us some talented women! Daheli is has not proved herself to be one of them.

I think MAD thinks every season might be their last. Why hire on someone for more money if you're just going to be canceled next year? It's a cost saver, possibly brings a new voice and writer to the staff, without actually costing them all that much. So Dan's dump could be a cost measure, or maybe the new guys they found are more talented.

Agreed on the Nicole RJ thing. I don't really watch MADtv anymore but I hear people quoting that character all the time, (s)he had to be the most popular character since Ms. Swan. Why MADtv let Nicole RJ go is beyond me. From what I saw of S13, all of the new cast members were pretty mediocre too so it's not like she was replaced with anyone great. They really effed themselves up this year. I'm surprised that they even got a S14.

On an unrelated note, this thread is kind of reminding me of that thread last year, when BW announced half of the cast was getting fired and that Crista might be gone. Everyone's reactions were pretty much the same, ell oh ellz.
Old 06/23/2008, 2:38 PM
Hardcore Fan

I have a weird that this season of MADtv will end in December
Old 06/23/2008, 7:33 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Based on the schedule from FOX, MADtv has it's time slot for the Spring 09 half of the TV year. Of course with FOX, you never know how things are going to turn out. And in reality I see where most people are coming from about how it's not the end of the world if Michael and Dan are gone. Michael departing doesn't surprise me because of S13's turnout, but Dan's departure is very shocking. I mean it's true; MADtv for the past couple of years isn't letting any of its newer faces settle in, and it almost feels like they're purposely making these drastic changes.