Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04/27/2008, 2:58 AM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Exclamation Judgment Day: Daheli Hall

So, she put in her four episodes, and as of #1315, her contract has now been officially fulfilled. As we speak, the powers that be are deciding her fate over martinis and a friendly game of baccarat. Simple question: Has Daheli earned herself a permanent slot in the cast? In the interests of encouraging discussion, I chose not to make this a poll. Be sure to respond, be sure to back up your answer, and be sure not to call me out for this lazy copy/paste job.

Old 04/27/2008, 4:21 AM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Wow, this post turned out to be long even for me (and surprisingly quick to type, for a change). Oh well, you know where the scroll is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I initially had high hopes for Daheli, it pains me to the core of my ego to admit that, no, she hasn't done nearly enough to earn herself a permanent slot in the cast. The eternal question again rears its ugly, freckled, red-headed...um...head: is the show or Daheli herself to blame? Although it can be argued that she came along at a rough time for "MADtv" (at least in terms of the surrounding chaos if not the quality of the season itself), it can be likewise argued that Johnny Boy, Danny Boy, and Anjie...um...Girl were all aboard the same leaky raft, thus putting a real premium on their talent for sketch comedy. Although I refuse to believe that Daheli's talent hasn't been good enough thus far, there's obviously a good reason or ten as to why she's been such a dud cast member during her allotted four-episode run. Let's examine at length, shall we?

For comparison's sake (and because I love to pretend that I know WTF I'm talking about ), I'll make a categorically lame attempt to summarize the efforts of all four newbies. First, with genuinely funny sketches like the "24" parody and the double-entendre bit with Bobby and Johnny, Dan has more than earned a permanent spot, even if he's in some early danger of being typecast as the go-to "host" character. Next, even though I don't feel that Johnny hasn't done nearly enough to warrant his status as a full-time repertory player, I could have easily made the same argument concerning my dear Arden after her embarrassing S11. (And S12 and S13, but who's counting? ) Still, he's had one or two gems and has shown at times that he can rise above the stereotypes and the follow-the-Buddha-belly roles that "MADtv" seems all too happy to pigeonhole him into. Anjelah shone in Bon Qui Qui but wasn't given much else to do. Again, her fault or the show's? Because I would like to believe that "MADtv" still has a modicum of sound judgment in deciding these things, I'll defer to them on this, just as I will regarding what will likely be Daheli's imminent demise.

With the exception of one comedy bit which she lifted from a standup routine, Daheli really hasn't done squat, has she? (Again, I'm feeling lots and lots o' pain here, folks. ) Her Oprah impression, though passable, ain't exactly the second coming of Debra Wilson; and I can't help thinking of the fate of our last Oprah impressionist, NRJ, who to her credit followed a lackluster S11 with a very entertaining S12 only to be handed the dreaded season-ending, salmon-colored slip. Then again, during S11, NRJ at least had a solid character, Ka-Son, to fall back on. Unfortunately, we haven't seen similar promise from Daheli; thus, I fear that "MADtv" isn't going to be nearly as "generous" to her as it was to NRJ.

Granted, Daheli has had considerably less time than NRJ did to prove herself; however, my hunch tells me that the abbreviated make-it-or-break-it time isn't going to matter one hill of Boston Baked Beans to the producers. They were obviously looking for her to prove herself quickly, and she simply hasn't followed through. It's a shame, really, because I still feel that Daheli could have brought some much-needed intelligence to the show, especially as a writer. The reason I picked her early on as a potential success story is that, given the chance, she could (there's that word again ) have created some noteworthy roles that would have touched on the very race, gender, and other social issues that seem to permeate her other work. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Then again, the quandary remains: how does one bring such things to a show that seems forever willing to sabotage itself by going for the easy joke? Either "MADtv" didn't want to go the intelligent route with Daheli and therefore shot down all of her ideas, or she herself was content just to follow the established "easy joke" route of the series and to bide her time until she could prove herself in some way that would have been acceptable to everyone concerned. Still, given the fact that 95% of her "MADtv" roles to date have been sheer filler, I have to believe that something went horribly wrong along the way: her own lack of ambition (not likely), her inability to do much with what was given to her, or just an inability to be noticed. At any rate, could, would, and should are four-letter words (I'm such a potty mouth...hahahaha ); and in Daheli's case, I'm afraid that the only other four-letter word that can apply at this stage is exit, right out the left door.

The verdict? Guilty of mediocrity! Piss-shaw.

"We can dig it!"

Last edited by mizzimad; 04/28/2008 at 8:23 PM. Reason: I noticed something else that didn't make much sense. (That's what I get for trying to rush the first time. ;|)
Old 04/27/2008, 8:22 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

In reality, it's difficult for me to pose an opinion about Daheli because I'm literally on the fence when it comes to her.

With Anjelah, it was very clear she wouldn't make it; the girl appeared only once in each of the episodes she was featured in. Dan has proven to everyone that he deserved a spot on the show. Regardless of whether he's going to be pigeonholed as "the host" guy, Dan has brought his own brand of unique humor to the show, something that is once again needed if MADtv plans on sticking around for a few more years.

Johnny...he used to annoy me in the beginning of S13, but after watching his Nacho Hernandez bit last night, I'm beginning to give that opinion some second thoughts. As mentioned before, he does have the potential to break out of the stereotypical role that MADtv loves to throw its castmembers in.

But as far as Daheli goes, she has not truly done much to stand out from the rest. I give her credit for trying, though, as she hopped on board a very catastrophic time for the show. The things that I did like on her behalf were the Alphabetology sketch, and her appearance as Oprah. Yeah that's right I said it, I enjoyed her Oprah--scary looking, yet enjoyable. It may not be Debra Wilson's, but at least it was better than NRJ and Daniele Gaither. Unlike mizzimad, however, I'm going to pin about 90% of the blame on MADtv. I say that because while it's true that they wanted her to prove herself quickly, she could have had more episodes to do such a thing had the production number of episode not been cut down from 18 to 12. At the same token, she (like the three other newbies) knew that going into this, she would be fighting for her slot on the cast. Based on what we've seen so far, there isn't too much for her to fall back on. Nicole RJ had Ka-Son at least, and Daniele, well Daniele was Daniele. I think the biggest problem is that MADtv waited WAY TOO LONG to debut her; seriously, instead of bringing in comedians like Steve Byrne and Jon Reep on the show, they could have had Daheli perform her material--this way us viewers could get a bit more out of her, and judgment day wouldn't be such a hassle.

Unfortunately my verdict is the equivalent of a hung jury. If she appears in #1316 (because the Ray-Ray at the Obama Rally sketch hasn't aired yet), then I'll finally decide.

Old 04/27/2008, 1:12 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

I think she's gone, honestly. Especially since they cut her sketch last night. Though JustG had it right--as far as airtime goes, she's somewhere in between Dan and Anjelah, so I'm not 100% sure on that. But she hasn't really done all that much, and if Lisa was any indication, spreading the four episodes all the way until the end of the season probably means she won't be back.

Old 04/28/2008, 12:28 AM
Casual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADfan2004 View Post
I think she's gone, honestly. Especially since they cut her sketch last night. Though JustG had it right--as far as airtime goes, she's somewhere in between Dan and Anjelah, so I'm not 100% sure on that. But she hasn't really done all that much, and if Lisa was any indication, spreading the four episodes all the way until the end of the season probably means she won't be back.
I agree.

I like Daheli, and whilst I have faith in her that if she makes it past Judgment Day she will contribute a whole load more, I dont think she has done enough to easily slide into a cast member slot like Dan has.

I would'nt be suprised to hear 'Starring Crista Flanagan, Keegan Michael Key' on next seasons opening.

ѕтєρнηιє ωєιя
ραυℓ νσgт
ηισℓє ѕυℓℓιναη
яση ρє∂єяѕση
∂євяα ωιℓѕση
COME BACK I MISS YOU!
Old 04/28/2008, 5:32 AM
Casual Fan

Well, i like her.

I think that she's had an incredibly tough time (they all have - cept Johnny, who has not had to prove himself - i bet more people are aware of Dan than they are of Johnny - Dan has, after all, given far more laughs!)

But she has really made an effort - correct me if wrong, but Daheli has brought more material than Johnny? Sista Rev, lil mama, Ray Ray, Oprah....what has Johnny brought?

On a purely practical level - are they gonna sack the black female AGAIN??? It's ridiculous. Imagine if they gave Debra Wilson 4 eps...

Give her a freaking chance! I think she's very funny, and a great castmember.

I hope she stays

MADoz
Old 04/28/2008, 5:59 AM
Hardcore Fan

Well, it looks like she's been kept for the rest of S13 at least... given her 5 seconds in 1315.
Old 04/28/2008, 9:37 AM
Obsessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADoz View Post

On a purely practical level - are they gonna sack the black female AGAIN??? It's ridiculous. Imagine if they gave Debra Wilson 4 eps...

Give her a freaking chance! I think she's very funny, and a great castmember.

I hope she stays

MADoz
AGREED! I thought she was doing a great job, and reading this thread put me down. I'd say they should keep her for season 14. I mean I loved Debra and Danielle as soon as I saw them. NRJ grew on me fast. And I actually like Daheli, I loved her Macey Grey and Oprah (I don't think anyones will ever beat Debra's but still I liked it.) I think the bit roles I've seen her in are funny, I'd say give her a chance, imo I think she has shown a lot of potential and if we get a real season next season maybe she'll shine.

Anjelah wasn't even given a chance, same with Lisa Donavan last season. Plus they need to start keeping people because 5 members have reached or are past their 5 year mark and could leave the show soon: Michael (10), Bobby (7), Nicole (5), Keegan (5), and Jordan (5). Bobby already confirmed he's out, Nicole is only doing 8 episodes next season. Then we have the lovely Crista getting into her 5th season in 14. Which means if all of them left after their 5th season we'd have Arden and Johnny. I personally think the show works better when their is a good amount of consistency with the cast and not all old members and not all new members. I hope this makes sense, lol. I just think they need to start keeping around some of these newer cast members. Letting NRJ go I think was a mistake, she could of been a MAd Tv Great.

Anyways, I think Daheli should be kept, and that would be the smartest thing to do, she proved herself for what she was given.

- "He looka lika man." - Bunny Swan
-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Tcha...ya know what? Huh-uh!" - The Vancome Lady
-"You're so sexy!" - 2-Litre Beth
-"Look how little my gloves are!" - Dot Goddard
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
-"Look what I can do!" ~ Stuart
Old 04/29/2008, 3:38 AM
Casual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by potroastpig View Post
. Plus they need to start keeping people because 5 members have reached or are past their 5 year mark and could leave the show soon: Michael (10), Bobby (7), Nicole (5), Keegan (5), and Jordan (5). Bobby already confirmed he's out, Nicole is only doing 8 episodes next season. Then we have the lovely Crista getting into her 5th season in 14. Which means if all of them left after their 5th season we'd have Arden and Johnny. I personally think the show works better when their is a good amount of consistency with the cast and not all old members and not all new members. I hope this makes sense, lol. I just think they need to start keeping around some of these newer cast members. Letting NRJ go I think was a mistake, she could of been a MAd Tv Great.

VERY TRUE!

THey need to realise that by season 15 the shwo will be an almost entirely different cast. Will we really see Arden as the 'senior' female cast member??? I shudder at the thought!

NRJ was a FANTASTIC cast member, and her sacking still has me shaking my head. THey can't leave things as they are: many people are leaving...and they MUST fill their spots! Sacking the new ast members is JUST.....NOT.....CLEVER!
Old 04/29/2008, 1:03 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Maybe if they got good new cast members, there wouldn't be that issue of having to replace them.

I think Daheli isn't much. Her Oprah wasn't that great and the rest of her appearances haven't been that great. If she showed up more, I'm sure she possible could be more impressive, but after they axed Nicole RJ, I'm bitter. I still don't understand the logic in getting rid of her. She had good characters! She was good!

In order to really judge Daheli. we need more time, but I don't think we're going to get any more of it out of her.
Old 04/29/2008, 6:52 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

She's gone. I'm sorry to say it without giving her a fair shot, but it's true.
Old 04/30/2008, 2:53 AM
Casual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Maybe if they got good new cast members, there wouldn't be that issue of having to replace them.

But they DO get good new cast members - NRJ being a perfect example...yet they sacked her.

THe big reason why so many seem ambivilant about Daheli is cos we have BARELY seen her!

If Debra Wilson was to be judged after just the first 4 eps of season 1, what would we have said?

It is simply not possible to really make the judgement. It seems an unfortunate side effect of the budget cut, that featured players don't get a season, appearing maybe every second ep, to make an impression (though the same happened to Lisa last year, before the budget cut, hmmm)

What still stuns me is that NRJ's wage was higher than teh wages of Johnny/Dan/Daheli & Angela...cos Bobby said the reason she was let go was cos of the budget limitations. ...yet hiring those people can't have been cheap...and they may not even keep them! At least with NRJ they knew they had a quality cast member

I don't knwo - a big part of me wants to create a rival sketch show featuring all the cast members who ahve been unfairly sacked over the years - i think it'd be pretty good!
Old 04/30/2008, 6:04 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i like daheli...i hope she stays on and has a chance to show a bit more of what she can do.Shes better then arden anyway...but like thats hard to do.
Old 05/03/2008, 3:51 PM
Casual Fan

another reason they shoudl keep Daheli: SHE CAN SING

Once Nicole leaves there won't be a strong female singer in the cast...unless Daheli stays...