Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/19/2008, 11:40 AM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Exclamation Judgment Day: Dan Oster

So, he put in his four episodes, and as of #1311, his contract has now been officially fulfilled. As we speak, the powers that be are deciding his fate over martinis and a friendly game of baccarat. Simple question: Has Dan earned himself a permanent slot in the cast? In the interests of encouraging discussion, I chose not to make this a poll. Be sure to respond, and be sure to back up your answer.

Old 02/19/2008, 12:27 PM
zlolz

To be honest, Dan hasn't really blown me away yet. His intro sketch was good, as was the Bill Cosby sketch, but neither were outstanding, and the 24 parody was the definition of lame. Even still, I think he has a lot of potential - although I have to say, his humor does seem to go dangerously close to the border of funny and just flat out stupid.

I'm not quite sure what to think of him yet, but MADtv seems to have confidence in him, and I think he'll be kept until the end of the season, at the very least.

Old 02/19/2008, 12:39 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

I like Dan. He's already proven to me that he's better at playing the straight man than Ike Barinholtz (see the Dragon Hunter II sketch) and besides the weird 24 sketch, hasn't done anything that has made me think he's terrible. I also think his acting skills are definitely up to scratch -- not everyone could deliver his novel monologue/thing as well as he did.

He's a keeper.

Old 02/19/2008, 1:03 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I'm pro-keeping Dan Oster on the show 100%.

Dan has proven to me that he has the potential to push forward a unique style of comedy that, in the long run, will aid the show. Out of the 3 featured players, he's the one that truly stood out to me and in a good way. While his 24 parody wasn't stellar or breath-taking, he managed to utilize his energy which is something the other cast members have lost this season (for the moment at least). He's not overly great, but he isn't terrible either. He's good though, so I say keep him.

Old 02/19/2008, 3:17 PM
Season 14 is Here!

Dan is someone I just didn't really like from the very begining. His internet videos didn't impress me and I always felt he would turn out to be a bad castmember. His monologue was okay and I really hated that 24 sketch. Dan is liked around here though, even to go as far as giving sketchs he appeared in extra points, but I'm being hypocritical *I know its spelled wrong* I do the same when Anjelah appears in a sketch . I don't know but I just don't like him and I don't know why, he just annoys me, but that doesn't mean he is horrible. No he is much better than Johnny. I haven't seen anything from him that was laughout loud, but I say keep him, and I'm pretty sure they will.

Old 02/19/2008, 6:09 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

I'd say he'll be around, especially since they have a shortage of white males in the cast, and Michael is potentially leaving. And, yeah, he's MUCH better than Ike.

Actually, I don't think any of the cast members at this point are likely to get cut. I think this could be the first season since Season 11 where all the new cast members returned (assuming MADtv lasts that long, yadda, yadda, yadda)

Old 02/19/2008, 7:08 PM
Hardcore Fan

Keep Dan Oster. I think he has excellent potential, though I'm a little worried about some of his work this year on the show. I'm not a big fan of his YouTube work- but I'm in the minority here. I'd kind of agree with Rurry here.
Old 04/29/2008, 6:54 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

I like Dan Oster. He's funny, and entertaining to watch. I see him having a long and prosperous future on this show (if the show goes that long).
Old 04/29/2008, 9:35 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Hell, I thought I'd replied to this already. Yeah, of course Dan has earned a permanent spot in the cast! Because I'm too hungry right now to think up 23432516134641364136 examples, I'll just name some winners that come immediately to mind: "24," the Bill Cosby sketch, his Jeff Conaway impression in "Celebrity Rehab," the double entendre sketch with Bobby and Johnny, and some of his more memorable "host" roles ("1 and a Million" and the "Moment of Truth" parody). That's pretty damn impressive for any featured player, let alone one who came along during a season as fraught with drama and danger as our beloved S13. That Dan -- such a survivor!

"We can dig it!"
Old 04/30/2008, 2:37 PM
Hardcore Fan

The Fact that Dan has had as much airtime as all of the Repertory Players tells me that he is staying. The only difference between him and the repertory cast has been the name (and the pay)
Old 05/05/2008, 4:17 AM
Casual Fan

He is better then Johnny.

I've seen a few videos of him in Boom Chicago and I must admit he is very good. We may be looking at the new and improved Ike Barinholtz people.

Everyone from Boom Chicago who appeared on MADtv has impressed me (Josh Meyers, Ike Barinholtz, Jordan Peele & Nicole Parker) and I have faith that Dan will be a brilliant addition.

ѕтєρнηιє ωєιя
ραυℓ νσgт
ηισℓє ѕυℓℓιναη
яση ρє∂єяѕση
∂євяα ωιℓѕση
COME BACK I MISS YOU!