Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/25/2003, 3:11 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Exclamation Marilyn Manson

http://charmedagain.free.fr/

Old 03/26/2003, 4:24 PM
Travis aka... God!

Hmm, no sound sucks. Not that I'm really into Manson or anything. I just want to listen to music online.

Old 03/26/2003, 5:08 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Is this the full meal deal in 192kbps?

Old 03/26/2003, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blackwind
Is this the full meal deal in 192kbps?
I dunno.. lol sorry, I don't know computers too well. Is that a file size? I was wrong, there is one track missing.. the last one, which I believe is "Obesquey".

new link: http://www.evilwolf.com/revolvingsheep/me/ that should have the files

BTW, Matt, what's an ftp? Could you provide a link to a program of it if possible? Thanks in advance
Old 03/26/2003, 8:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I dunno.. lol sorry, I don't know computers too well. Is that a file size?
It's the bitrate, actually. MP3 bitrate determines the quality of the recording -- the higher the better. 128kbps has long been considered "CD quality", but any audiophile will tell you that's a load of crap. If you're burning CDs, you want at *least* 192. Hence, the reason I asked.

Quote:
new link: http://www.evilwolf.com/revolvingsheep/me/ that should have the files
This one is missing Obesquey too, in addition to the intro track. Doh!

Quote:
BTW, Matt, what's an ftp? Could you provide a link to a program of it if possible? Thanks in advance
FTP is a protocol through which files are transferred. A File Transfer Protocol, if you will. SmartFTP is probably the best freeware FTP client around, so I'd recommend checking that one out.

Old 03/26/2003, 8:28 PM

Actually, you're not missing much on the Intro. I listened to it in the original link, it's only 1:08 minutes long, and it's pretty bare. It's not even like "Prelude" from Portrait of an American Family, no lyrics, just next to nothing. So far, no site has been able to turn up "Obesquey" for some reason.

Anyway, I think that it's the best around when it comes to quality. It's SUPER slow, yes, but it's better than nothing I suppose

Thanks for the link BTW The guy who originally had the files (the first link I posted) said he would said them to me over ftp.. so hopefully it'll be better quality, and I can share them with you
Old 03/26/2003, 9:16 PM
Geometry Sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by blackwind
FTP is a protocol through which files are transferred. A File Transfer Protocol, if you will. SmartFTP is probably the best freeware FTP client around, so I'd recommend checking that one out.
Finally, an alternative to WS_FTP Pro that someone trustworthy can recommend. I stopped using WS_FTP Pro after corrupted downloads drove me nuts, it's extremely hard to find anything decent on freeware nowadys.
Old 03/26/2003, 9:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Actually, you're not missing much on the Intro. I listened to it in the original link, it's only 1:08 minutes long, and it's pretty bare. It's not even like "Prelude" from Portrait of an American Family, no lyrics, just next to nothing.
True, but I'd hate to waste a CD on an incomplete album. I'm very, very poor here.

Quote:
Thanks for the link BTW The guy who originally had the files (the first link I posted) said he would said them to me over ftp.. so hopefully it'll be better quality, and I can share them with you
That'd be great! Thanks!

Old 03/27/2003, 3:57 PM

Okie dokie, I've downloaded the program, and I'm downloading each song one by one. Right now, I have "Intro" (which is actually much better than I remembered it to be) and "This is the New $hit" downloaded, and in the middle of "mOBSCENE" (which is the first single). "Obesquy the Death of Art", the final track, is still unavailable however.

I'm unsure of how to transfer these to you though. I can't do email, because I have Yahoo and that doesn't let you attach files that large. I tried attaching it here, and when I FINALLY figured it out (lol), it said I can't attach a WMA file. Apparently I can only do this as a moderator or something.. you could make me a temporary mod just so I can attach the files, and I'll happily go back to just being a poster

Anyway, let me know.
Old 03/27/2003, 4:25 PM

BTW.. here's the full tracklisting:

01.) "Intro"
02.) "This is the New $hit"
03.) "mOBSCENE"
04.) "Doll-Dagga Buzz-Buzz Ziggety-Zag"
05.) "Use Your Fist and Not Your Mouth"
06.) "The Golden Age of Grotesque"
07.) "sAINT"
08.) "Ka-Boom Ka-Boom"
09.) "Slutgarden"
10.) "Spade"
11.) "Para-noir"
12.) "The Bright Young Things"
13.) "Better of Two Evils"
14.) "Vodevil"
15.) "Obesquy the Death of Art"
Old 03/28/2003, 1:54 AM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i wouldn't mind having a listen to some of the tracks

that'd be cool
Old 03/28/2003, 10:39 AM

My three favorite tracks so far are "This is the New $hit", "Slutgarden", and "The Better of Two Evils". To tell you the truth, I'm VERY surprised that "mOBSCENE" will be the first single.. it's one of the weaker, if not the weakest track.. there's just not much to it, and plus it sounds too "The Fight Song"-ish.. I don't like it much, and I don't think it will catch on to radio.
Old 03/28/2003, 2:54 PM

UPDATE: I've downloaded all the tracks through "sAINT" onto the Planet MADtv server, with "Kaboom Kaboom" currently downloading. I doubt I will be able to upload any of the songs tonight, and I don't think I'll be online at all tomorrow, so you'd have to wait until at least Sunday. Two reasons for this 1.) I don't have much more time today 2.) "Para-noir" is a VERY long track, and at six minutes it takes forever to transfer.
Old 03/28/2003, 3:23 PM

"Slutgarden" and "Spade" added. So, the first 10 tracks are uploaded. Track 11 is "Para-noir", and I already explained that, I g2g now. But there's only four more to go, so I've got the majority of the album uploaded.
Old 03/29/2003, 3:45 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the update!

Quote:
To tell you the truth, I'm VERY surprised that "mOBSCENE" will be the first single.. it's one of the weaker, if not the weakest track.. there's just not much to it, and plus it sounds too "The Fight Song"-ish.. I don't like it much, and I don't think it will catch on to radio.
Ah, but it has the same kind of mainstream appeal as Beautiful People, Dope Show, and Disposable Teens. Given an entire Manson album, you can almost always figure out which track will become the first single. That said, I'm liking the song thus far. I wasn't a big fan at first, but after a few listens, I was hooked.

Old 03/29/2003, 10:31 AM

Yeah, but there has to be something that catches you for a first single. Which is why "Sweet Dreams", "The Beautiful People", "The Dope Show", and even "Disposable Teens" caught on, but "Get Your Gunn" didn't. "Sweet Dreams" was a VERY unique remake of a classic dance song, "The Beautiful People" had totally killer hooks, "The Dope Show" was catchy and had great bass and drums (not to mention a weirdass video), "Disposable Teens" (and Holy Wood for that matter) didn't catch on that well because the song was way too repetitive, but it DID have great guitaring courtesy of John5, so it got some attention. If ya ask me, there isn't all that much to "mOBSCENE" that's different from anything else, and, again, it's way too much like "The Fight Song", I think; "Use Your Fist Not Your Mouth" was originally the first single, which I think is much better.
Old 03/29/2003, 2:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, but there has to be something that catches you for a first single.
Personally, I think the "be obscene" chanting alone will be enough to hook anyone who enjoyed Beautiful People or Disposable Teens. All three songs have the same sort of vibe, in my opinion.

Quote:
Which is why "Sweet Dreams", "The Beautiful People", "The Dope Show", and even "Disposable Teens" caught on, but "Get Your Gunn" didn't.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dope Hat the first Portrait single?

Quote:
"Disposable Teens" (and Holy Wood for that matter) didn't catch on that well because the song was way too repetitive, but it DID have great guitaring courtesy of John5, so it got some attention.
To be fair, DT consists of the same five chords over and over and over, with a bit of harmonic screeching tossed in for good measure. It didn't even take one entire listen through for me to figure it out.

Quote:
If ya ask me, there isn't all that much to "mOBSCENE" that's different from anything else...
...and that's how he gets you. Disposable Teens, if you carefully observe the lyrical style, guitar riffs, and song layout, is really no different from Beautiful People. Over the years, I think Manson has realized just how well the formulaic approach works. He may never write another "Beautiful People", but then again, he doesn't have to.

Old 03/30/2003, 5:00 AM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

u uploaded them to the mad website???

where where
Old 03/30/2003, 6:44 PM

You're right, they do have the same sort of vibe - which I think proves that it's kind of recycled, and people catch on to that. Look at how well Mariah Carey's songs used to do.. she used the same formula, people (rightfully) accuse the songs of being nothing new, and they flop. I dunno, I like the song better than I did at first, but there's far better (and original) songs on the album.

I completely agree that "Disposable Teens" was in a way a re-write of "The Beautiful People". Hell, the background drum rythym is EXACTLY the same. He recycled a few parts on Holy Wood actually - for example, he reused (but tweaked) some of the "Coma White" keyboard parts on "Coma Black", which is considered by many to be his best song (including me), and I'm sure he was trying to ride on that a bit.

You're right - there are only 5 chords.. like I said, it's very repetitive. BUT, they're very jamworthy and catchy, which is why it managed to work.

BTW.. the FTP won't let me upload songs anymore. The only way I could upload "Better of Two Evils" and "Vodevil" are if I attached them here.
Old 04/03/2003, 2:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
You're right, they do have the same sort of vibe - which I think proves that it's kind of recycled, and people catch on to that. Look at how well Mariah Carey's songs used to do.. she used the same formula, people (rightfully) accuse the songs of being nothing new, and they flop. I dunno, I like the song better than I did at first, but there's far better (and original) songs on the album.
I couldn't agree more. Of the songs I've formed opinions on thus far, mOBSCENE ranks somewhere in the middle of my "best to worst list":
The Golden Age of Grotesque
Use Your Fist and Not Your Mouth
Doll-Dagga Buzz-Buzz Ziggety-Zag
mOBSCENE
Ka-Boom Ka-Boom
(s)AINT
This is the New S**t
Quote:
You're right - there are only 5 chords.. like I said, it's very repetitive. BUT, they're very jamworthy and catchy, which is why it managed to work.
True enough, true enough.

Quote:
BTW.. the FTP won't let me upload songs anymore. The only way I could upload "Better of Two Evils" and "Vodevil" are if I attached them here.
I'm not sure what the FTP's problem was, but don't worry about it. I snagged the rest from Kazaa a few days ago. Thanks for your help!