Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/06/2008, 8:48 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Default Who's your Favourite MADtv Writer

Who is/are you favourite MADtv writers. You can choose them because of the sketches they have written, or an appearance they have made on the show that was funny, or you like them because they did work on another show that you liked. I wouldn't mind knowing.

I have 3 favourites.

Michael Hitchcock
Simian is always great, but it was much more than that. He was a great writer on the show and I am really sad that he is no longer there.

Jim Wise
I have always been a fan of Jim Wise even before I started watching MADtv because of his role on the show Even Steven which I loved as a kid (and too young to watch MAD), he is a great musical director (directing almost every musical themed episode of a Disney Channel show by what I have seen on his bio on IMDb) and that includes some MADtv song sketches, and he apparently has a great singing voice, which you can sort of see from the Fuddermuckers sketches. I am so glad that he is still on the show today!

Steven Cragg
I like Steven Cragg just because of how dedicated to the show he was. I could really see that he cared about the show from the sketches he wrote and the appearances that he made. I was sad when I heard that he was not back for season 14, and he was truly the unknown loss of the season 13.

What are your picks?

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)

Old 10/06/2008, 10:23 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

Actually, to me, I didn't even care about the writers when I first watched the show. In fact, I usually skip over the credits!

But after watching Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip, I realised how important the writers were to the success of the show.

Sadly, I still don't recognize any of the writers from MADtv, but I have to say my favourite is the writer who tries to make a sex tape of himself with his wife in a sketch. That was hilarious!

Old 10/06/2008, 12:50 PM
n4yr

Since the credits don't tell us which sketch each writer writes, it's hard to tell which one to choose. I'm gonna pick three whose names I like the sound of

Dino Stamatopolous
Sultan Pepper
Fax Bahr

Old 10/06/2008, 2:09 PM
Hardcore Fan

Sultan Pepper? Really?
Old 10/06/2008, 2:14 PM
n4yr

It's a real name. Check Writers Listing Thread and scroll down to season 8.

Old 10/06/2008, 2:16 PM
Hardcore Fan

Definitely not a given name though
Old 10/06/2008, 4:36 PM
Casual Fan

Sultan Pepper is a woman, she wrote for "The Ben Stiller Show" in the early 90s, I didnt know she wrote for Mad.

Dino Stamatopolous is also pretty well known in the comedy world, he's written for tons of sketch comedy shows and he's the creator of Adult Swim's Moral Orel which starts it's third season this week, hilarious show.

I'm gonna go with Patton Oswalt, he was a writer in the first two seasons. I'm a big fan of his stand-up comedy and other projects.
Old 10/06/2008, 5:17 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

oh yeah, I like Patton too. I loved him on King of Queens

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)
Old 10/06/2008, 8:09 PM
Fresh Meat

Default favourite writer

Pat Oswalt is the most recognizable but I think he only wrote one episode
Old 10/28/2008, 3:45 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Most of the writers have appeared on the show in some form. Colton Dunn appeared as an extra in Season 10, in the show opening with Nicole Sullivan and Ike Barinholtz. He didn't become a writer until later on.

Michael Hitchcock is pretty recognisable. He's definitely the funniest of the writers in my opinion. In terms of writers who I know have written sketches, I really like the writing duo of Ryan SMith and Brian D. Bradley. They co-wrote "Tickle Me Emo" and "I Shouldn't Be Alive" among other sketches. Michael Hitchcock told me that John Crane and someone else, I believe it was Jim Wise, were responsible for the Sesame Street sketches, so that gets them some kudos from me.

My other 2 favourite writers on the show have been Stephnie Weir and Nicole Parker. Even though they are castmembers, they've both written some amazing sketches for themselves over the years.