Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > TV Shows
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/13/2008, 3:21 PM
i'm an institution

Irish girl = awesome

Fat guy singing Hairspray = wtf? youre not big blonde and beautiful. just big.

Kid with glasses who sung Josh Groban = potentially the worlds new Sanjaya, meaning if he makes it, I give up on the season

oh hey, this place is different

Old 02/13/2008, 6:59 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Poor, poor Cardin.

Old 02/13/2008, 7:35 PM
zlolz

Solid top 24.

I'm really excited about this season. I already have quite a few people I really like. Unless the producers screw it up, this season could potentially be on Season 5 levels of quality.

Old 02/13/2008, 8:02 PM
i'm an institution

oo yeah, the top 24 seems pretty strong this year. getting a little excited hehe, theres a LOT of diversity.

Old 02/13/2008, 9:43 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

There are a few rockers (or at least potential rockers) among the males, so perhaps that bodes well. However, in the interest of repeating myself (something I just love to do ), I once again find the girls to be a somewhat more impressive lot. Early faves among them: Amanda, Syesha, Carly, Ramiele, and...err...umm...gulp...Joanne. Sorry, bw. Hey, why am I apologizing? You've got enough Carrie Underwood-ish eye candy this season to keep you more than happy for a while.

"We can dig it!"
Old 02/13/2008, 11:31 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i don't know who the top 24 is...argh.the ep is on in 2hrs...
But i watched the top 100(aka 19238763)
i wasn't too impressed with the aussie guy,but hey...my national pride makes me support him.i really like the irish chick,she better make it through
that nerdy guy who is an actual nerd and can not actually sing....should die
Old 02/14/2008, 3:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzimad View Post
Early faves among them: Amanda, Syesha, Carly, Ramiele, and...err...umm...gulp...Joanne. Sorry, bw. Hey, why am I apologizing? You've got enough Carrie Underwood-ish eye candy this season to keep you more than happy for a while.
Oftentimes, I get the feeling that you and MADfan specifically go out of your way to choose the least desirable of all available options just to irritate the rest of us. How's that 28-disc Blu-ray collector's edition of Waterworld, by the way? Should I drop by Walmart tomorrow to pick up the new Paris Hilton album? Oh, and before I forget, I'm thinking about attending the upcoming Dennis Kucinich presidential rally; by any chance, do either of you have a spare ticket?

Anyway, mizz's legendary lack of taste aside (at least until he next opens that Super Poligrip-oozing mouth of his), let's see what we have here:

Alaina: With the far-more-experienced Kristy around to (theoretically) eclipse her talent-wise, I don't think we'll be seeing much of the all-too-similar Alaina. Best case scenario, I'd expect her to last no longer than the final round of the Top 24. I guess it all depends on what these no-name Cardin placeholders like what's-her-face and whoosits () are able to bring to the table.

Kady: So, uh... who *is* this girl? Why haven't we seen her at all since premiere night? I'm leaning heavily in Kady's direction at the moment, but only by default. For all we know, by her own merits, she could still be a complete and total dud without even the faintest hint of talent (or, even worse, the next Taylor Hicks! ).

Kristy: If Kady doesn't pan out, I suppose this is where I'll end up -- again, though, only by default. As much as I enjoy my eye candy, I didn't even want to root for a country girl the *first* time around! It's hard to get behind someone who's sure to sing the worst kind of garbage week after week, and then, if she hits the Top 5, jump into the studio, twang her banjo for a month or two, and drop an even bigger deuce on the un(?)suspecting public shortly thereafter. Still... better Kristy than what we were given last season, I guess.

As for Cardin, her original audition was, to me, the most impressive of the four. Like the others, she lacked the upfront "pop" of a Kelly Clarkson, but, given enough screen-time to make an impression, I was expecting her to quickly become my favorite. She'll be sorely missed.

Old 02/14/2008, 12:08 PM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
Oftentimes, I get the feeling that you and MADfan specifically go out of your way to choose the least desirable of all available options just to irritate the rest of us.
As I often wonder if the rest of you immediately zero in on the pretty faces with little or no consideration for actual talent? In all seriousness, though, I haven't definitively made up my mind about any of the contestants thus far. It's way too early to do so, and I can't honestly say that I even remember half of the 24 at this point. Therefore, if any of the cookie-cutter picks you mention manages to delight my eardrums and soul, not just my gonads, then I'll gladly let you know.

Quote:
How's that 28-disc Blu-ray collector's edition of Waterworld, by the way?
It's not nearly as good as the 56-disk 3-D Home Theater Experience version.

Quote:
Should I drop by Walmart tomorrow to pick up the new Paris Hilton album?
Nah, Wal-Mart carries only the clean version. Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Oh, and before I forget, I'm thinking about attending the upcoming Dennis Kucinich presidential rally; by any chance, do either of you have a spare ticket?
Okay, now you're just testing me.

"We can dig it!"
Old 02/14/2008, 3:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzimad View Post
As I often wonder if the rest of you immediately zero in on the pretty faces with little or no consideration for actual talent?
On the contrary, you should know by now that, first and foremost, I, for one, am all about the adorable personalities. Is it my fault the two almost always go hand-in-hand? Given the choice between two performers of near-equal talent (a Kristy or a Carly, a Kat or a Paris, a Crista or a Nicole, a Reiko or... well, not an Elisha -- that's for damn sure!), all other things being equal, you'll always find me standing behind she who makes me feel the warmest and fuzziest inside. Again, chicken soup for the soul. There's a lot to be said for the likeable. Besides, I'll *gladly* take these ladies over the same cookie-cutter overweight gospel singers, sassy black women, and token male duds we seem to end up with each and every season. The cookie-cutter street goes both ways, bucko.

In any event, I look forward to Kady crushing my expectations next week just like Kellie did, and I also look forward to at least one or two others catching my eye. For what it's worth, on the male end of things, I'm quite partial to the Aussie as well. Of all those for whom I'm *not* packing about a half a stack of dimes, he's certainly the current front-runner.

Old 02/14/2008, 9:57 PM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
I'll *gladly* take these ladies over the same cookie-cutter overweight gospel singers, sassy black women, and token male duds we seem to end up with each and every season. The cookie-cutter street goes both ways, bucko.
Well, for me, the "musical cookies" taste much better when there's some substance (read "life") to the performances. If Kady and company can provide some of that, then so much the better for this season as far as I'm concerned. Fair enough, though: you enjoy that chicken soup and all the warm fuzzies it gives you, and I'll be hunkerin' down on some o' that good ol' deep-fried soul food. (The inevitable jokes about hardened arteries and the detrimental effects of cholesterol at my age may now commence in earnest.)

"We can dig it!"
Old 02/15/2008, 11:05 AM
Totally F****able

Looks like Carly already had her shot at stardom.........and failed miserably:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/rea...ns-secret-past

Old 02/15/2008, 12:44 PM
zlolz

Yeah, that's old news. She sold like 300 copies. I don't really see the problem, it's not like she was a big star or anything.

Anyway, Kady is definitely the hottest of the bunch, but I'm afraid a lack of airtime could hurt her

Old 02/15/2008, 1:05 PM
Totally F****able

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurry View Post
Yeah, that's old news. She sold like 300 copies. I don't really see the problem, it's not like she was a big star or anything.

i think it does give a bit of a disadvantage to the others because she's got some experience now in how things work and what kind of sound she has to have to make it I guess

Old 02/17/2008, 4:03 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i can't even remember any of the peoples names.they just get nicknames based on any part of them i can remember...like..irish....fag...super fag...asia..you get the point
Old 02/20/2008, 1:15 PM
zlolz

Why the HELL did they do a theme for the semifinals

David Arch and Michael were definitely the best last night, and they are definitely my two favorite guys. Now I just need a girl favorite. I'm hoping that Kady and/or Alaina will do well tonight so that I can officially call one of them my girl favorite

Old 02/20/2008, 2:59 PM
i'm an institution

theme = lame

this season = boring

I was actually home to watch it, and after the first three guys, I stopped caring. Snoozefest.

Old 02/20/2008, 3:04 PM
zlolz

I actually like this season, much better then the catastrophe that was AI6. But the theme weeks this early really suck, especially when it's a shitty theme like 60s night.

The girls are so much better this year anyway (as per usual.)

Old 02/21/2008, 9:37 AM
Administrator

Here are my observations of the week:
  • Daughtry set the rock bar waaaaaaay too high. None of this season's dweebs will ever live up to the standard he set, and frankly, I'd be shocked if *anyone* did ever again!
  • In lieu of an overweight gospel singer, it appears we have *two* sassy black women this season -- Alexandrea and Danny.
  • Of all the males, Michael "The Aussie" Johns is the only one who isn't a world-class douche. Talented, consistent, humble... I'm impressed.
  • Boy, did Kristy ever eat it hard this week! Thankfully, as the most attractive of the bunch (by a sizable margin, at that), she'll surely coast on her looks until her voice returns.
  • Not only is Joanne the lesser of the two talents, Cardin's voice would've been *far* better suited to this week's theme. She must be spinning in her career's grave right now.
  • Alaina exceeded my expectations by a mile last night. Looks like she might make the Top 12 after all!
  • I want to like Amanda, but I just can't. She's interesting, she's attractive with the appropriate covering of makeup, her personality is decent, but a rock chick? Sorry, doesn't work for me.
  • Brooke is a very respectable person, I like her a lot, but her look and her voice just aren't doing anything for me at this stage. Shame.
  • As boring as her song was, I thought Kady was actually quite good. She definitely needs to work on her personality, though. Why so sullen all of a sudden?
  • Carly has a big voice, but it's very raw and unpolished; she's attractive, but not overly so; she's being outclassed personality-wise, but I have nothing against her either. I'm still in wait-and-see mode.
As for my elimination picks, I'm going with Garrett, Luke, Amy, and Joanne. Ideal Top 12 at this time? Kady, Kristy, Alaina, Carly, Amanda, Syesha, Michael, Robbie, Jason Castro, and all three Davids.

Old 02/21/2008, 1:13 PM
zlolz

Alaina is probably my new girl favorite. Cute, performed well, and reminds me a lot of Carrie. PERFECT!

I was so pissed off when Randy called Carly the "best vocal of the entire top 24". Are you kidding? I could name about 4 girls who were better and 3-4 guys. Carly is great, but she was quite obviously sick and her performance was sub-par. Hell, vocally, Kady was much better then Carly, and Kady's performance was borrrring (though she's hot). Luckily Simon brought some sense to the panel there.

And holy CRAP get rid of top 24 themes.

And bw - how is David Archuleta a world-class douche by any means?

As for the early call on the top 12 - all I can say is out of As'iah, Syesha, and Alexandra, 2 will make the top 12 and one will be outsted right before (see: Sabrina, Melinda, and LaKisha last season). The same goes for Kady, Alaina, and Kristy - I can see Alaina making the top 12 and the other two will either a) both be eliminated or b) one of them will step up and be a darkhorse. But only 2 of them at the most will make the top 12.

Right now, I see it as David Arch, Michael, David C, Jason C, Robbie, and Danny for the guys, and Alaina, Amanda, Syesha, Carly, Brooke and Ramielle for the girls. For some reason, I have a feeling As'iah won't make top 12.

Old 02/21/2008, 1:28 PM
Administrator

He's the kid who's so tickled pink about everything that he barely had time to speak between bouts of laughter, right? If so, look no further than the question I just posed.