Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/22/2003, 8:21 AM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Default Debra's leaving announcement may not be true

From Frank Caliendo, a regular cast member who I would think would be on in this:

as for the debra stuff....

i never heard this announcement. i know she could leave if she felt it was time... but i wouldn't count her out completely from next season....

that's just my take...i may not know the whole story, though...

if i talk to debra, and she says something.... i'll let ya know.
fc

There ya have it. Special thanks to Frank too!

I asked about other cast members leaving, and he didn't mention anyone else (the reason why he discussed Debra is because I asked about her in particular), so I'm assuming all the regulars are staying for season nine, as I predicted.

Old 03/22/2003, 8:47 PM
Right-wing rocker

Default Re: Debra's leaving announcement may not be true

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
From Frank Caliendo, a regular cast member who I would think would be on in this:

as for the debra stuff....

i never heard this announcement. i know she could leave if she felt it was time... but i wouldn't count her out completely from next season....

that's just my take...i may not know the whole story, though...

if i talk to debra, and she says something.... i'll let ya know.
fc

There ya have it. Special thanks to Frank too!

I asked about other cast members leaving, and he didn't mention anyone else (the reason why he discussed Debra is because I asked about her in particular), so I'm assuming all the regulars are staying for season nine, as I predicted.
Thanks for pointing that out, Ian! I was wondering about that. Thanks to Frank too.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 03/24/2003, 7:06 AM
Travis aka... God!

Are you kidding, or am I missing some kind of joke here? lol

Old 03/24/2003, 7:44 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

IMO he has proved to be the strongest overall male cast member this season. My opinion of him has greatly improved.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 03/24/2003, 10:54 AM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Why do you say that Cartman? It's impossible for a cast member to kill a show by themself. Will Sasso nearly did that in season seven, but there were numerous other problems that brought the season down, you can blame the badness of season seven solely on Will.

And I agree with Matt.. Frank is the strongest, and by far the most talented. The male cast hasn't had really talented people in it since Phil in season four (he was barely there in season five and it showed really badly) up until Frank. Don't get me wrong, the other three can do good jobs, and I actually like Bobby real well now, Michael's much better this season than last (plus he was great in his first three seasons), and Aries can be very good even though this season has been pretty bland for him. But none of them are all that versatile.. well, it's hard to tell with Bobby cuz he hasn't been around as long, but from what I can see anyway.
Old 03/24/2003, 2:48 PM
Travis aka... God!

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
Why do you say that Cartman? It's impossible for a cast member to kill a show by themself. Will Sasso nearly did that in season seven, but there were numerous other problems that brought the season down, you can blame the badness of season seven solely on Will.
Yeah, I really don't get that . He's not killing the show. IMO he's doing exactly the opposite. I hope he stays on it for a long time.

Old 03/24/2003, 6:10 PM
Right-wing rocker

Why do you say that, Cartman? I'll admit, I wasn't too crazy about him at first either, but now I think he's one of the strongest cast members on right now. I'm not bashing your opinion, I'm just curious as to why you think that.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 03/24/2003, 9:07 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Cartman....you're not going to like this but you're either going to have to explain that comment thoroughly or be forced to delete that post because it's just mean otherwise if you can't back it up. Are we all clear?

Old 03/24/2003, 10:11 PM
Geometry Sucks.

I'm not even going to comment on this. This is ridiculous; I'm tired of people using new castmembers as scapegoats for the disappearances of Will, Nicole, and Alex.
Old 03/24/2003, 11:14 PM
Right-wing rocker

Quote:
Originally posted by MADMADMAD
I'm not even going to comment on this. This is ridiculous; I'm tired of people using new castmembers as scapegoats for the disappearances of Will, Nicole, and Alex.
That's why I hate the ignorant comments at "Jump the Shark." With a sketch comedy show, cast members leave, and new ones come in. Since there are no "set" characters, the shows can do this pretty well. Of course there will always be personal favorites, but the new people can be great too, when given a chance. Just look at Stephnie -- I couldn't stand her at first, but now she's one of my all-time favorite cast members. She excels at writing and her acting. People are going to have to accept the fact that on a sketch comedy show, no one cast member is going to stay on forever. If that had happened with "SNL" Chevy Chase would be pissing his "Depends" every sketch! It's not that we won't always love Nicole, or Alex, or Dave. But they left the show, and people need to get over it. There are new, excellent cast members, like Frank and Stephnie, and people refuse to keep watching and give 'em a chance because "their favorite" left the show. Sorry this was such a rant, but I'm tired of it too.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 03/24/2003, 11:38 PM
Travis aka... God!

Yeah, I agree with that. And besides, change can be good. The same cast all the time could easily get old after 8 years IMO. Maybe you might disagree with me there, but oh well. As long as they get some quality replacement and come up with good skits I don't see a problem.

Old 03/25/2003, 8:01 AM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Cartman, I have deleted your most recent post from this thread. If you would like to repost something similar to it, please back up your opinion.

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 03/25/2003, 9:47 AM
Travis aka... God!

What about where his post was quoted?

Old 03/25/2003, 1:50 PM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicolesbiotch
What about where his post was quoted?
Thanks for pointing that out. I just fixed that as well.

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 03/26/2003, 7:20 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

damn....i missed the controversal post
:p
Old 03/27/2003, 11:14 AM
Get down tonight!

I read it, but I've forgotten what it said.

Damn this feeble mind of mine.

Old 03/27/2003, 11:32 AM
Hardcore Fan

What I was saying is that Frank Caliendo is not funny and he is only good at doing impressions. Look some of the other cast members who joined the past two years also kind of helped him kill MADtv also because he and she were not funny. Also compare an episode from the first 5 seasons and then comapre it to another episode from the past 2 1/2 seasons. You will probaly laugh more at the first one then the recent one.
Old 03/27/2003, 12:44 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by cartman2002
What I was saying is that Frank Caliendo is not funny and he is only good at doing impressions. Look some of the other cast members who joined the past two years also kind of helped him kill MADtv also because he and she were not funny. Also compare an episode from the first 5 seasons and then comapre it to another episode from the past 2 1/2 seasons. You will probaly laugh more at the first one then the recent one.
Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has their own. I too had my doubts about Frank last season and early this season, but he has improved greatly in my opinion, and I like him a lot more that I used to. I was the same way with Stephnie Weir, but she has been great this season... And yes, I do miss the old castmembers from several seasons ago, but times change and people move on...

Old 03/27/2003, 8:14 PM
Geometry Sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by cartman2002
Well, not necessarily. Some episodes of season eight were even better than a couple from seasons 1-5; the humor's changed quite a bit, but I laughed the same. And you can't say that Frank is good at nothing but impressions just because he uses them a lot on the show.
Old 03/28/2003, 4:09 PM
Right-wing rocker

Quote:
Originally posted by HiVolt

Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has their own. I too had my doubts about Frank last season and early this season, but he has improved greatly in my opinion, and I like him a lot more that I used to. I was the same way with Stephnie Weir, but she has been great this season... And yes, I do miss the old castmembers from several seasons ago, but times change and people move on...
Same here. I'll admit, I'm a big culprit of jumping the gun on judging cast members. I didn't like Frank all that much at first, but now he's one of my all-time favorit cast members. I did the same thing with Stephnie and Josh. Give him some time, and maybe he'll grow on you.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )