Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Movies
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08/23/2005, 8:46 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

Yeah, but Deuce Bigalow (both films) have flopped (critically & financially)

Old 08/23/2005, 11:22 PM
w00t!

I know...very unfortunate for The Great Raid...but I POOP ON DEUCE BIGALO lol.

but seriously i hate the deuce bigalo movies.

***Winner of Worst Username in the '05 Planet MADtv Awards***
Old 08/24/2005, 9:45 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Today I watched The Exorcist with my mom. I don't think much of it as a movie, but maybe that because it's not new to me.

-------------------------------
"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 08/24/2005, 9:50 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

Quote:
Originally posted by PitaPockets
Today I watched The Exorcist with my mom. I don't think much of it as a movie, but maybe that because it's not new to me.
Once again another person who doesn't find The Exorcist scary. I don't get it!

Earlier I watched Igby Goes Down. I really liked it, it was funny & sad and very very good.

Susan Sarandon was very funny in it.

[EDIT: i use the adjective very alot. it is an adjective, right?]
Old 08/24/2005, 11:09 PM
w00t!

Quote:
Originally posted by Caffeine King

Once again another person who doesn't find The Exorcist scary. I don't get it!

Earlier I watched Igby Goes Down. I really liked it, it was funny & sad and very very good.

Susan Sarandon was very funny in it.

[EDIT: i use the adjective very alot. it is an adjective, right?]
im pretty sure a lot is an adjective...but theres a space in it

i loooooved exorcist i thot it was really creepy.

***Winner of Worst Username in the '05 Planet MADtv Awards***
Old 08/24/2005, 11:14 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobophobia89

im pretty sure a lot is an adjective...but theres a space in it

i loooooved exorcist i thot it was really creepy.
Not alot, very was what I was referring to.
Old 08/25/2005, 12:45 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

It can be an adjective, but when used to give emphasis, such as the context you used it in, I'm pretty sure it's an adverb. I dunno, ask Mizzimad.

I've been on an 'old school' kick this week. Last weekend, I (coincidentally) watched the Exorcist from my video collection, which I don't think is 'scary', but is easily one of the best horror movies of all time. I can't think of any movies I consider 'scary' since I've started studying film, although alot of really good horror movies have the creepy factor, which has a totally different meaning to me.

I watched The Searcher earlier this week, which is a western from 1956 starring John Wayne. His family gets murdered by a tribe of indians and they kidnap his young niece, so his 'mission' for the next half decade is to try and find her. The suspense is in whether or not he is going to kill her when he finds her, because the common ideology of that period was that once a white woman has been assimilated into an indian tribe, she becomes a savage. Excellent movie, but a little un-pc, which I like.

I also watched Some Like it Hot with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Marilyn Monroe for my film class. Think "Sorority Boys" or "White Chicks" except it's from the 50's, in black and white, is a lot less vulgar than its immitators and is a lot funnier.

And then today I watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane which was just brilliant. From IMDb: Baby Jane was a child star. When she grows up she is forgotten by the public. Instead her sister Blanche gets famous as a Hollywood actress. Blanche gets physically handicapped after a mysterious car accident. She lives in a room and Jane has to take care of Blanche. But Jane hates Blanche ...

Such a great movie. I missed bits of it though because the guy sitting next to me was watching Citizen Kane and the cinematography kept distracting me.

Oh, and this isn't a movie, but I saw (and luckily taped) the season finale of CSI that Tarantino wrote and directed. Best CSI ever.
Old 08/25/2005, 10:06 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Originally posted by Dartanian

And then today I watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane which was just brilliant.
Hahaha, YES!
This movie is the best. So creepy...

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 08/26/2005, 9:20 AM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

I've been dying to see Whatever Happened To Baby Jane. Many people have told me that I'll love it once I finally get to see it.

Last night I watched To Kill A Mockingbird for the first time and I love it. It's now one of my favorites movies
Old 08/26/2005, 8:06 PM
D2F

In my film class we started watching the movie Baraka. We didn't see all of it but we saw a good sized chunk of it. Of course this is a high-school english elective so very few kids seemed mature enough to really enjoy it but I liked it and borrowed it from the teacher.

There isn't a story or a narration, its these really interesting/beautiful video clips that kind of blend into eachother of different cultures. They show these amazing buddha monuments and people in rituals and stuff and has really fitting and emotive (if thats the right word). Some parts are downright bizarre, but I thought the movie was really sort of moving and cool. I wouldn't say buy it but definitely rent it if you think you might like it.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 08/27/2005, 11:06 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Since I watched The Exorcist last weekend, I decided I should Watch The Exorcist III last night. It's not a classic by any standards, but I think it's still a good movie. I bought the video box set a few years ago, but I've only seen parts II and III once each because I didn't think much of them the first time. Anyway, it has its merits. There is this one scene that is a long shot of a hallway in a hospital and it's just two really long takes. You see a nurse hearing noises and she investigates a couple of the rooms. You know that 'it' is coming, but even when 'it' happens, it still freaks me out every time. There are a couple of pretty creepy scenes in the movie, and Brad Dourif is as creepy as ever as the Gemini Killer.

I also rented some DVDs this weekend. The House of Flying Daggers, which I liked, but not nearly as much as Hero, which is one of my favourite foreign films. Ziyi Zhang is great as always, and it has good cinematography, but its too 'Romeo and Juliet'-ish for me.

Memento, which is a really crazy but extremely well made movie. Definitely a thinking man's (or woman's) movie. You can't look away for even a second because you might miss something important. I had no clue as to how it would end, the secrets were well kept. Newt's favourite gap-toothed-ho is in it, and she dies. Repeatedly.

And I watched Big Fish this morning, which I've been wanting to see for a while now. Another very good movie. I don't have much else to say about this one, but I liked it.

Old 08/27/2005, 11:14 PM
D2F

Yeah so my mom and I went to hollywood video and rented a bunch of Al Pachino movies.

The afternoon started with the movie Two-Bits. It was about this kid who has Pachino for a grandfather during the depression and is trying to earn a quarter to go to the opening of a new cineplex in his town. His grandfather talks to this little kid about dying all the time because he knows that he is not long for this world. Anyways, the movie itself is good and its enjoyable, but if you don't enjoy movies that can be described as 'heartwarming' you might not like it.

After that I went to my room and after I got my dvd drive to stop being a piece of crap by upgrading its firmware, I watched Sin City. Piece of CRAP. Going into this movie I espected that Id really only like the interesting cinematography they did that got so much attention. If anyone has ever played any of the games in the Max Payne series which parodies the whole 'gritty underbelly of a city, gruff-voiced inner monologues' schtick, you will find that this movie is a texbook example of this played-out film noir bullcrap. Everyone gets shot 50 times and doesn't die, everyone smokes like a chimney, and all males in the movie feel the need to talk in a very deep tone, pausing often in an attempt to seem serious.

Okay so maybe I'm being harsh, but this movie has nothing going for it. They sold this movie by name dropping because its riddled with some very recogniseable faces. A good movie this does not make! I am sorry ladies and gentlemen but the prospect of seeing Jessica Alba's ass in tight pants wasn't enough to make me go out and see Fantastic Four, and it certainly isn't enough to make me overlook how cheesy and overdone Sin City was.

Ok so moving on, I just saw And Justice For All with Pachino. Awesome movie. I noticed that Pachino started playing a character very similar to Serpico in which he found himself in a career (this time a lawer, in Serpico a cop) because he wanted to make a difference but found nothing but corruption. Pachino does a great job emoting his frustration with all the ways the justice system is letting down the people its supposed to protect. Go see it today, if you haven't already.

I will be watching some more of Pachino's movies tomorrow. Expect some more lengthy comments on the movies. Alrighty I'm done.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 08/27/2005, 11:27 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

I literally just saw The Brothers Grim. I would give you a plot summary but frankly, I don't know what the hell I just saw!
Um... can't even begin to tell you. It was confusing and bad. I didn't walk out though. lol

I also watched But I'm a Cheerleader! earlier today. It's about a girl who is sent to "straight camp" because her family believes she's a lesbian. It's really funny and kinda odd.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 08/27/2005, 11:38 PM
I'm back, bitchesss!

I just watched 'Red Eye', and this is one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life. I never really pay much attention to who directs and writes the films, but West Crave, (I think that's right) is excellent. I heard he also did 'Nightmare On Elm Street' but I've never seen that. Red Eye was so perfect. The acting and plot was great. Definatly hoping to hear the this movie's name at the Oscars.

Member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 08/28/2005, 12:01 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by PitaPockets
I also watched But I'm a Cheerleader! earlier today. It's about a girl who is sent to "straight camp" because her family believes she's a lesbian. It's really funny and kinda odd.
Ahh! haha I've seen that movie twice in the past few weeks. It's hilarious! That one girl who plays her "love interest" seems to play a lot of lesbian roles.
Old 08/28/2005, 7:24 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

I just got done watching The Upside of Anger.

It was alright...I wasn't impressed with it and it didn't live up to my expectations.

Unlike many people, I thought that Joan Allen was OK but didn't give an Oscar worthy performance.
Old 08/28/2005, 9:34 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

I watched The Fisher King today. Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams are in it. It's about a radio DJ that stopped working after a comment he made was taken too seriously by a listener. He meets a dellusional bum who thinks he is a knight in search of the Holy Grail.
It was a really good movie. It was really bizarre but in a good way.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 08/28/2005, 11:30 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

About an hour ago I got finished watching The Notebook

I thought it was really good & really sweet.

I'm surprised it wasn't nominated for any Oscars (the cinematography was amazing!) Also Rachel McAdams gave a great performance!
Old 08/29/2005, 4:57 PM
<3 True Love <3

I saw Stewie Griffin: the Untold Story it was quite funny and someparts were WTF!? funny...but it's great if you are a family guy person...

i also just watched Air Bud...and I was being very critical about it...like it's a good movie for family time but I was confused because the Kid Leaves Buddy on some island and leaves for the game then when Buddy comes to the game the kid is excited that the dog came back...I mean He wanted the dog to stay there so much he threw a basketball to bait him away, but then he's all happy when the dog returns....maijor WTF moment there...and plus the kid is soo mean to the dog...but whatever, I guess Children wouldn't get the harm he does....

*disclaimer: this post is not intendid to offend male homosexuals due to it's flamboyancy...any discrepencies from this post need be discussed in a pm to the poster thank you!

Old 08/29/2005, 7:32 PM
0ld sk00l

The last movie I watched was Taxi Driver I liked it. It was very interesting, and it was cool seeing Jodie Foster when she was like..14 years old. haha. Yeah, well I liked the gory parts. hehe. but it was a good movie overall. Very convincing acting.

My Fanfics