Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Movies
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08/06/2005, 6:39 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

I watched Constantine this morning. It was ok. As far as these types of movies go (exorcisms, demons, angels etc.) I thought it was better than most because they stuck with the genre and stayed away from trying to integrate comedy within horror. I hate that. Keanu Reeves is cool, maaaaan.

Old 08/06/2005, 8:20 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Originally posted by newt007
I just got done watching Sin City. It was a verrry good movie with a good plot. The only thinkg that ruined me was the whole black and white thing. I really hated that, so it made it a lot worse than it could have been.
Sin City is a comic book series so i think black and white was very fitting. I actually thought it made the movie have much more of a gritty, noir feel, but that's just me.

I watched The Butterfly Effect today. It's another one of those, "a change in history affects the future" movies.
I figured that out before watching it by the title. It reminded me of a short story about how a man time travels to the past and accidentally steps on a butterfly which changes his whole future.
I gotta say, it was actually pretty good IMO. I mean, no one in this movie was outstanding (acting wise) but I really liked the story.

-------------------------------
"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 08/08/2005, 9:42 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

I loved Sin City's cinematography. =(

I saw The Butterfly Effect too (not recently, it was a year and a half ago) and I was surprised at how good it was. I thought the actors/actresses did a good job (which I was surprised at.)

Just got finished watching Female Trouble. ...yeah. It's bizzare which is what I was anticipating it to be.
Old 08/09/2005, 12:39 AM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Today I watched the extras on my DVDs of Reservoir Dogs and From Dusk Till Dawn

Both had regular type stuff...deleted scenes, pictures, trailers, interviews with the cast and featurettes..

But Reservoir Dogs had the "ear scene" re-enacted with action figures and a guide to film noir.

Dust Till Dawn came with Full Tilt Boogie, a feature length doc on the making of the movie. This is hilarious! if you're a Tarantino/Rodriguez fan, find it and watch it.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 08/09/2005, 11:37 AM
D2F

I saw Hide and Seek the other day because my parents ordered it on pay per view. I was really disappointed in it. The whole lead up to the big story twist was slow as hell and the big twist was SUCH a cop-out and was pretty much stolen verbatim from The Secret Window, which was mediocre at best.

Im rapidly losing my respect for Robert Dinero. I wish he would just take the money he made off his GOOD movies and stayed out of film until he sees a script that can stand up to his other work.

Before that I did see Million Dollar Baby a week or so ago. I couldn't have been more impressed by this movie. This movie and Cinderella Man really surprise me because I don't like boxing but they have such great stories and characters. I was a little annoyed by Clint Eastwood's character in the beginning because its like he was trying too hard to be gruff and hardened.

Oh and don't see Constantine. I saw it but I can't even justify renting it just for the special effects. The story makes very little sense, and not because its complicated, because its poorly written. Im quite tired of Keanu playing the quiet tough guy characters. That's quite enough of that.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 08/09/2005, 7:27 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

I saw Crash today.

Amazing is the only adjective that I can describe it with. The cast, script, sound score, cinematography, direction...everything about it was just amazing.

It's tied with Sin City as the best movies I've seen this year.
Old 08/12/2005, 9:31 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

I saw Hustle & Flow yesterday and I loved it. Great movie! I hurried out to the Virgin Megastore and got my free t shirt and bought the soundtrack =D

....and I saw The Aristocrats today.

I knew it'd be disgusting which I was prepared for because I'm not at all easily offended and I get annoyed with people who do but this movie was annoying and way too over the top.

It was just sh*t and incest joke OVER and OVER. Literally.

What's so funny about that? So now sh*t jokes are the "in" thing?

Me didn't like The Aristocrats and it's the first movie I've ever walked out of.
Old 08/12/2005, 9:55 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Originally posted by Caffeine King

It was just sh*t and incest joke OVER and OVER. Literally.
That's the point, the joke is that the family does a disgusting act and they call themselves "The Aristocrats" which would be the opposite.

But really IMO, the documentary is just about how a joke can be interpreted different ways, it's the oldest "dirty" joke in vaudeville and every stand up knows it, but each one is different.

If you knew the joke and knew 100 comics were going to deliver their versions, then I don't understand how you could go without thinking "Hmm...will this be redundant at all?"

As for walking out thats a whole different story... tsk tsk! lol

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 08/14/2005, 10:10 AM
I'm back, bitchesss!

Last night I watched Scary Movie. It was very hilarious but after seeing the other 2, I don't think it was as good. I loved the part in the beginning with Carmen Electra. That was just too funny.

"What do you want?" -Carmen

(looking at Playboy) "To see your insides" -Killer

"Turn to page 56." -Carmen.

That was great. And I love when the people get hit by cars in this movie. The way they flip all Kafunkafied! (yeah I made that up) And I was glad to see this movie because it reminded me of a lot of things in the past. Like Scream, I know what you did last Summer, and those Beer commercials where everyone was like "Wasssssssssup!" It took me awhile to remember what movie was being poked fun of because it is an older movie. But I do remember in Scream when the girl tried to go through the garage and got killed. When they did that with the fat girl trying to squeeze through that little cat hole I laughed for a good minute straight. Hilarious. The sex scene was very funny too. OMGZ Cindy's got a freak-ay side to her. Cant wait to see the 4th one.

Member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 08/14/2005, 10:49 AM
D2F

I just saw kung fu hustle last night. I guess the first thing I should say is WTF?! That was one of the weirdest damn movies I've ever seen. Its about these 2 guys, a skinny sort of cowardly guy and a fat...cowardly guy that are trying to join this notorious "Axe Gang", a gang of guys that wear black suits and top hats and kill people with hand axes.

Yeah so the whole film takes place pretty much in a town called the Pig Stye Town or something similar, where there are some funny characters like an overweight landlady in a mumu of sorts with curlers in her hair and a cigarette perpetually hanging from the side of her mouth. Theres also a really strange barber guy who always has his pants hanging half off his ass, as a running gag.

Im not going to spoil the odd story but the main character, the skinny guy, wants to join the axe gang because something bad happened when he was a kid and he decided that nice guys get nowhere in life. The problem is he (seeemingly) can't fight for crap. Anywho, the axe gang quickly discovers that this Pig Stye Town is home to some excellent fighters, 1 who fights with hands/feet, 1 who uses an "Iron Fist" technique where he puts iron rings around his wrists, and 1 that uses all kind of spears/wooden poles. I think this part is where the film is at its best because the scenes these guys are in are just god damn awesome.

Yeah so my feelings were that this movie has some AWESOME kung fu, but sometimes I think that they didn't quite have enough of it. When people aren't fighting there is usually comedy going on, but since this film is from Hong Kong, I think there is a bit of a cultural difference between comedy over there and over here. There are some parts in the film that I found quite funny, but I wish there was more fighting. Also the dubbing makes the film funnier because they have some (hopefully deliberately) over-exaggerated and strange voice acting in the english dubbing.

Good kung-fu, really strange story, not my type of comedy. Kind of made me want to rent house of 1000 daggers if its out.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Old 08/14/2005, 12:57 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Quote:

What's so funny about that? So now sh*t jokes are the "in" thing?
Mmmm... You do know that this is one of the oldest jokes around right? Its not like its some new made up "fad"

Anyways, I agree with Pita on this one. I like the fact that they show all of the different spins on the joke, by different comedians.. I myself haven't seen it--its not playing ANYWHERE near me-- but I really want to.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 08/14/2005, 9:10 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

Quote:
Originally posted by ef_7

Mmmm... You do know that this is one of the oldest jokes around right? Its not like its some new made up "fad"
me knows.

I don't know maybe I just didnt like the joke itself....that's probably it.

Because I hated The Aristocrats but I'm a fan of John Waters' films
Old 08/15/2005, 10:28 AM
I'm watching you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Potora
Last night I watched Scary Movie. It was very hilarious but after seeing the other 2, I don't think it was as good. I loved the part in the beginning with Carmen Electra. That was just too funny.
Agreed! But IMO, i think Scary Movie 2 was the best!!! You've gotta love Hanson the Caretaker! That was some serious funny s*ht! And that really funny parody of The Exorcist??? I practically laughed my ass to hell and came back alive.

Back on topic, the last show i watched was The Amityville Horror. It wasnt exactly scary. But rather entertaining at some points. However, i didnt quite like the acting. Im looking forward to the Exorcism of Emily Rose. That should rock from the looks of the trailer.
Old 08/15/2005, 10:57 AM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

I watched Dukes of Hazzard last week. It was a pretty funny movie. Nowhere close to the classic episodes, but I don't think it was meant to be.

Old 08/15/2005, 3:47 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

I watched bits of The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies!!?

I fast forwarded through most of it. It was pointless & boring..no campyness whatsoever, maybe a few tiny bits here & there but nothing like I was expecting it to be.
Old 08/15/2005, 7:36 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Today I watched Wag the Dog with Robert De Niro and Dustin Hoffman. It's about how the government hires a producer to make a fake war in Albania to distract the public from a sex scandal.
I had seen this before on Bravo but the commercial breaks and editing ruined it. This time it was the full version. I think this movie is hilarious, I think Dustin Hoffman is great in it.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 08/15/2005, 7:56 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Today I watched one of my favourite movies Earth Girls are Easy starring Geena Davis, Jeff Goldblum, Damon Wayans, and Jim Carrey... Classic 80's movie I highly recommend it!!!

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 08/16/2005, 9:11 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

Vera Drake

it was sad. the characters felt real and the acting was real to (like they didn't have to force anything, just talk)
Old 08/16/2005, 9:23 PM
D2F

Quote:
Vera Drake

it was sad. the characters felt real and the acting was real to (like they didn't have to force anything, just talk)
Yeah I saw this movie a number of months ago. Wasn't the character who played Vera really good? Her reactions to when she got in trouble and stuff was absolutely heartbreaking. Definitely not a movie with a happy ending. Such is life.

Old 08/17/2005, 12:05 AM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

Quote:
Originally posted by NemesisDesign

Yeah I saw this movie a number of months ago. Wasn't the character who played Vera really good? Her reactions to when she got in trouble and stuff was absolutely heartbreaking. Definitely not a movie with a happy ending. Such is life.
Yeah. Imelda Staunton was amazing as Vera.

Hilary Swank was great in Million Dollar Baby but she already has an Oscar (for Boys Don't Cry, where she was also amazing) but once somebody wins one I think the Academy should give it to somebody who hasn't won an Oscar yet (that being Imelda Staunton) or they could've had a tie (do they do that anymore? I know they've done it dozens of times in the past.

Though everyone knows that lots of times the Academey doesnt get it right