Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > TV Shows
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/15/2006, 1:54 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by elscorcho
Hmm I don't want Kellie Pickler to win. She has a good voice and all but she's a country singer so I wouldn't listen to her music if she won. I HOPE THAT YOU ARE DEAD WRONG, SIR!
I am, and I've known that since the first week of the Top 24. Kellie's raw talent is impressive to be sure, but next to the trained pipes of a Katharine or a Mandisa, the poor girl simply doesn't have a prayer. I didn't realize just how large the vocal discrepancy was until they tossed everyone together, and that will likely be my downfall this season. Personality has carried the Pickster far, but I have a feeling tonight just might be the end of her journey. One way or the other, her days are numbered.

Fortunately, this is the first year I've had alternate favorites.
  • Based on personality, Kellie wins.
  • Based on vocals, Katharine wins.
  • Based on performance, Chris wins.
  • Based on the Justin Guarini pretty-boy vote, Ace wins.
Overall, I think it has to go to Katharine. She seems to be the rare blend of talent, looks, and personality we haven't seen since Kelly Clarkson. While she may not be able to touch Pickler in the personality department, I suspect some would argue that's a good thing. She's very Kellie-esque, minus the airhead quality, y'all. If she doesn't at *least* make the Top 2, I'll be *extremely* surprised.

Ultimately, I'd love to see another vocals vs. performance showdown in the finale -- Carrie vs. Bo last year, and now Katharine vs. Chris. Should it come to that, whichever way the public votes, I have a feeling we'll be hearing from both of them for years to come. I know *I'll* be buying (read: downloading) their albums.

Old 03/21/2006, 11:41 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I've been watching every week so far, and for the first time in American Idol history, I think that the finalists are all pretty strong in their own way. My favorites are Chris, Mandisa, Taylor and Paris. At this point, if I had to guess who I think will win, I'm betting it's Chris. His live performances have been incredible week after week and I can really see him doing well in the music industry.

I'm not such a Kellie Pickler fan. I feel like her voice is kinda mediocre and she plays up her personality, charm and cutseyness to compensate for her lacking performances. Simon loves her because he wants to bang her. She seems sweet, but I just don't think that she is a great singer. My least favorite of the guys is Ace, he's really obnoxious. If I had to rank the girls and they guys, it would be as follows.

Girls:
1) Mandisa
2) Paris
3) Katherine
4) Lisa
5) Kellie

Guys:
1) Chris
2) Taylor
3) Elliott
4) Kevin
5) Bucky
6) Ace

What do you guys think?

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 03/22/2006, 1:23 AM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Hey, don't you guys know by now that you are required to start a new, completely superfluous thread each time you want to discuss "American Idol"? Sheesh, have the n00bs taught you nothing?

On a serious note, I must applaud the decision to bring in Barry Manilow to coach these guys during '50s week. After all, when one thinks of classic '50s rock-and-roll, the first name that immediately comes to mind is...Barry Manilow's.

On an even more serious note, I made sure that I voted for mah man Taylor this week. His performance this week was definitely one of his weakest in terms of vocals, but as always, he made up for it with what Simon has referred to as Taylor's "drunken father at a wedding" showmanship. He may not be "the fave" to win "A.I. 5," but since when has that triviality ever stopped me for rooting for someone? *Cough!* *Bobby and Ike!* *Cough!*

P.S.: Gedeon wuz robbed!

P.P.S.:

Guys:
Taylor
Chris
Elliott
Ace
Bucky
Kevin

Gals:
Mandisa
Katherine
Paris
Lisa
Kellie

"We can dig it!"
Old 03/22/2006, 2:15 AM

Guys:
1.) Elliot
2.) Taylor
3.) Ace
4.) Chris (could switch Chris and Ace around; they're both good)
5.) Bucky
6.) Kevin

Girls:
1.) Lisa
2.) Katharine
3.) Mandisa
4.) Kellie
5.) Paris

So my favorites overall are Elliot, Taylor, and Lisa. Lisa's actually the only girl I like left. The others just don't impress me. Katharine can sing, but I just don't see anything in her. Mandisa has a powerful voice, but is nothing special. Still can't believe Simon loves her so much. And then I couldn't care less for Kellie and Paris, who are both trying way too hard trying to seem cute with their personalities. I can see right throug both of them. I mean, Kellie going on and on...and on...and on...about her eyelashes last week, and this week, gosh, just the things she says... And I know it's a SINGING competition, but at this point everyone can sing, and certain personalities just put me off so much.

Ohhh my God, please, they have to get rid of little Kevin. ASAP. All the 7-12 year olds out there have to stop voting for him. He is just so incredibly mediocre compared to the others. My family and I keep saying, you know, maybe he should win, it'd serve America right. And how would they show deal with him winning? We'd like to see that. Him getting this far already is similar to how far Scott Savol got last year.

Dream come true if the bottom three this week could be little Kevin, Bucky, and Paris (or Kellie - either one's fine with me). And if little Kevin left.

Old 03/22/2006, 4:44 AM
Administrator

Not a lot of love here for the Pickle, I see. I can understand how she might be a bit much for some, but to me, she seems nothing less than genuine -- for better or worse. I'm certain she understands the power of cute, but I don't believe she makes any attempt to exploit it beyond that which comes innately. To each their own, I guess.

List time!

GIRLS:
  1. Katharine: It's hard to compete with the total package. Just ask Guarini!
  2. Kellie: Simply adorable. What she lacks in training, she makes up for in performance -- both during and after the song.
  3. Mandisa: Amazing vocalist, but I can't see myself following her career beyond AI. Not my cup of stylistic tea.
  4. Melissa: Great rock voice. It's a shame she forgot her lyrics.
  5. Lisa: Talented, but forgettable. She'll likely be gone before Kellie due to lack of personality.
  6. Paris: Nothing more than Fantasia II. Talented, but about as appealing as nails on a chalkboard or a swift kick in the groin.
GUYS:
  1. Chris: The rocker that Bo and Constantine never were. He *could* take it all.
  2. Elliott: Great singer, but like Lisa, lack of personality will surely be his undoing.
  3. Ace: Gotta respect a guy who can pull off a Michael Jackson song.
  4. Taylor: I like him. I'd be disappointed if he left before Paris, Lisa, Bucky, and Kevin, but beyond that... eh.
  5. Kevin: Who knew the grandma vote was so powerful? Perhaps he should consider running for president instead.
  6. Bucky: No worse than Kevin, but unless it's coming from Carrie or Kellie, I'll take a pass on the country, thank you very much.
Speaking of robberies, I still think Ayla deserved a spot in the Top 12. She'd make a *damn* fine replacement for any of the bottom four on my list. What ever happened to the wildcard show?

Old 03/22/2006, 5:17 PM

Aah I know, I was so shocked that Ayla didn't get into the top 12. She was one of my favorites of the top 24. So ridiculous that she didn't get through, when ones like little Kevin did.

Old 03/22/2006, 6:13 PM
Hardcore Fan

Default Re: American Idol 5

Quote:
Originally posted by Pizzotty
American Idol 5 auditions started yesterday. Well I don't know if they started yesterday, but I know they had auditions in Chicago yesterday. Anyway, I cant believe this show is still on. It's gotten kind of boring to me. I didn't watch the fourth season, but I guess I might watch the 5th season. OMG who's gonna audition.

Not ME!!!

EDIT:

Auditions
  • Austin August 25, 2005
  • Boston August 29, 2005
  • Denver September 11, 2005
  • Chicago August 16, 2005

There is also another one, but I dont know where it's going to be held. Oh and if you have cingular and you plan on auditioning, you can enter some code which can let you cut in front of people in the line. Totally Legit. Yeah, here:

http://rucingular.com/txt2front.html
I'm not this season but me and my friend Alexis are probably next season.
Old 03/22/2006, 6:55 PM
Staff Alumnus

Whereas Ayla's failure to make the final twelve was maybe a misdemeanor at worst, Gedeon's was a first-degree felony--highway robbery, I tell ya! Sure, he was something of a braggart, and perhaps this trait proved his undoing; still, he had the chops to back up the boasts. At any rate, Grinnin' Gedeon certainly deserved the "final dozen" honor more than Bucky and--hehehe--"little Kevin," who, if I'm being "awnest," deserves life imprisonment for last week's embarrassing, though strangely entertaining, performance of Stevie Wonder's "Part Time Lover." Criminological/judicial extended metaphor over.

"We can dig it!"
Old 03/22/2006, 8:30 PM
Mets fan for life.

Yes!!! Chicken Little has been eleminated! Kevin finnaly got eleminated.

Old 03/29/2006, 12:19 AM
Staff Alumnus

I have to say that I was largely unimpressed by this week's performances. Taylor's is the only one that really stood out for me: he picked a decent song and sung it very well. Even though Taylor is my fave contestant, I have to admit that he was a little off last week; therefore, it's good to see him return to form, and with a song that many--yours truly included--are probably unfamiliar with. I felt, along with the judges, that many of the other performances were pale imitations of the originals, or, as Simon would say, too "karaoke." (He can do better, of course. ) Then again, in many cases, I don't care for the originals either. *Cough!**Creed!**Cough!* Anyway, I found the "dawg pound" quite empty this week--or should I say that I found it full of dog $#!+?:dog:

"We can dig it!"
Old 03/29/2006, 6:18 AM
Administrator

Hey, the Creed song wasn't *that* bad!

Tsk tsk, Lisa. After being in the bottom three two weeks in a row, choosing a song by a vocalist you don't have a *prayer* of outshining -- especially when that vocalist is a former winner of the show you're competing on -- is nothing short of suicide. That *could* be the final nail right there. Nonetheless, despite her king-sized blunder, I'd still be shocked if this wasn't Bucky's week. Like Kevin, he simply isn't in the same league as the rest of the finalists. Time to hit the ol' dusty trail there, cowboy.

I'd like to start seeing everyone's elimination predictions each week. Goodness knows this thread could use a little TLC.

Old 03/29/2006, 1:21 PM
Staff Alumnus

Well, I'll give Chris cred for at least trying to do justice to Creed. Ideally, Bucky should go this week, but I have a feeling that it could be Lisa who packs her bags. Bucky is this year's "skater" in that he seems to have come this far in the competition by relying on his "aw shucks" personality, so it wouldn't surprise me if he bought himself at least one more week. Lisa's personality isn't nearly as strong, and she carries the double curse of (a) having been the first to perform last night and (b) having offered up a vocal performance that truly paled next to Kelly's original. I'm going to fly in the face of the "horny teenage girl" vote by predicting that Ace will be the other "bottom three" person tonight. After what he did to a great song like "Drops of Jupiter," I feel the need to self-inflict a few of my own chest scars. (Morgie tells me that self-inflicted chest scars are "sooooooo goth," so I want to be cool like her. )

"We can dig it!"
Old 03/29/2006, 1:41 PM
Mets fan for life.

some of you may like this www.votefortheworst.com
Maybe this explains why Kevin was on for so long.

Old 03/29/2006, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by metsfan666
some of you may like this www.votefortheworst.com
Maybe this explains why Kevin was on for so long.
Well it definitely tells me that I was completely right about Kellie and her "innocent country girl" act. Woww, I agree with all of that so much that it was as if I wrote it.

Old 03/29/2006, 8:37 PM
Administrator

What a travesty that almost became!

Old 03/29/2006, 8:56 PM
Hardcore Fan

Ok did anyone else think that it was so sketch that Katharine was in the bottom 3. I think the people on the show rigged it for shock affect.
Old 03/30/2006, 1:42 AM
Staff Alumnus

Ah, and lest we forget, next week is country week, so don't be surprised to see Bucky skate yet again. Hehe, I'll bet that Chris is saying to himself, "Damn, why did I waste 'I Walk the Line' on '50s week?" Anyway, let's review the names of those who correctly picked this week's elimination, shall we? Hmm, let's see, here....Oh, hehe, guess it's a rather short list.

"We can dig it!"
Old 03/30/2006, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debrafan
Ok did anyone else think that it was so sketch that Katharine was in the bottom 3. I think the people on the show rigged it for shock affect.
No, I don't think so... Her performance of "The Voice Within" was horrible, really. So many wrong notes that my family and I all actually cringed at points. Sad because that's one of my favorite songs. Simon even said during the results that it was a lot worse than he'd thought once he watched it later on TV.

Bucky so should have gone though, I can't believe it...

Old 04/05/2006, 12:17 AM
Staff Alumnus

Mah man Taylor has me worried this week. During country week, he goes with a song by John Denver? JOHN FRICKIN' DENVER?!? Taylor, you're from the South, f'Chrissakes, so I know you've heard at least a handful of good country songs in your life. (Yes, there is such a thing as good country music, folks; you just have to know where to look. ) You could have gone with a honky-tony tearjerker that would have suited your gravelly voice perfectly, but instead you give a forgettable performance of "Country Roads," by...by...JOHN FRICKIN' DENVER, who's about as country as Frank Sinatra?!? OOH, I'M DYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIING!!!!

Ahem, yeah, well, in all honesty, all of the songs these guys 'n' gals picked to sing were about as country as Frank Sinatra. Well, anyway, let me try in vain to pick a bottom three for this week; I'll do so by process of elimination. Kellie and Bucky will naturally make it through--yaaaaaaay--as will Katherine and Chris. Katherine was back to her old sexy self tonight, and Chris--yeah, right, as if he's going to be in the bottom three. My hunch tells me that Elliott will make it through, if only b/c the judges think he walks on water. (Yeah, maybe if that water has iced over.) Mandisa wasn't great, but sending her home now would make about as much sense as prematurely declaring Bucky this year's idol. So we're left with the bottom three: Paris; Ace; and, yes, Mr. Soul Patrol himself. (JOHN FRICKIN' DENVER?!?) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Taylor's irrepressible personality will be enough to help him skate at least one week--hell, the strategy has worked for Bucky and Pickle thus far. Between Ace and Paris, I'm picking Pretty Boy as this week's elimination. His performance, IMO, was clearly inferior to, and ultimately more forgettable than, Paris's. I realize that Paris's "little girl" voice puts some people off, but my hunch still says Ace.

JOHN FRICKIN'...oh, never mind.

"We can dig it!"
Old 04/05/2006, 5:22 AM
Administrator

I'm a little busy at the moment, so I'll make this a (relatively) quick one.

First off, Katharine and Chris were outstanding as usual. After last week, the McPheever...ites(?) will be voting in droves, and it's hard to imagine Chris will be in any sort of trouble until this season comes down to the wire. Safe and safe.

Kellie and -- dare I say it -- even Bucky were quite good as well. I'd go so far as to say that Bucky was *shockingly* good, but then, that comes as no real surprise on country week. Just wait for Chris' performance on rock week and Katharine's during the swimsuit competition! Oh, wait...

[To summarize, safe and safe by a longshot. ]

Elliott's performance I missed during a food break, and because his name isn't Katharine, Kellie, or Chris, I didn't bother tuning in to the west coast feed to catch it. Nonetheless, I'm sure he's safe for the time being.

Mandisa's performance, I think, must've been her worst thus far -- not that the genre gave her much to work with, mind you. Based on previous performances, she shouldn't have any trouble making the Top 3, but because the viewers are voting contestants *in* instead of out, I think she's very much in danger tonight.

Taylor is very *very* much in danger. I'll leave it at that.

Paris-wise, I honestly can't recall a single thing about her performance. I think I've finally programmed myself to tune that dreadful harpy out. In one ear, out the other...

As for Ace... it's a tough call. Once again, he's given his fanbase exactly what they want, but that hasn't saved him from the bottom three in the past. I'm guessing his status is entirely dependent upon whether or not Paris ate it this week (which I'm sure she didn't).

Ultimately, I think the bottom three has to consist of Taylor, Ace, and Mandisa. Brace yourself for "boo" impact! Ace will head back to the group first (opening the floor to even more boos), and from there... Taylor better hope that personality of his was enough.