Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01/12/2003, 12:26 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Post MADtv's only Latina is GONE!

Thanks to koolboee cdmo87, who e-mailed MADtv cast member Jill-Michele Melean about her reduced presence on the show. Her response is as follows:
Hey Ian!

I had a great time on MADtv. I did nine episodes with the show but I will not be returning. I'm developing my own show for television and doing films. Thanks for being a fan and I'll keep everyone updated on my site!
It is still unclear whether or not she had done work in some future unaired episodes before her departure, or if the nine specified appearances include her work as a featured cast member last season. I know that this has been posted in the forum already, but I wanted to post it on the main news site. Thanks again for the info, Ian!

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson

Last edited by Cat_Named_CeCe; 01/12/2003 at 7:15 PM.

Old 01/12/2003, 3:01 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Oh god, does this suck... She was the ONLY latina castmember on the show, and now they're letting her go. Anyways, she was really underused, and she could have at least been DEVELOPED before they let her off on her own.

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Reality Check: Dreamin' of Denzel Washington...

(my favorite Reality Check sketch)
Old 01/12/2003, 4:18 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

That mean Kathryn Fiore's coming back!!!

Old 01/12/2003, 5:10 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

MADMADMAD, I totally agree with you. I don't know whether she was fired or chose to leave (probably the latter), but she should have stayed on longer, 'til it got to the point where she had established a couple characters and impressions (besides the Drew one). But at least in her last couple episodes, #808 and #809, she got a decent amount of roles for the first time (she actually dominated #809). So hopefully her remaining episode(s) will give her a nice sendoff.

Mad Dog, I don't see Kathryn returning. She left before the season was over as well. Her last episode that she attended was #719. They saved a small handful of sketches she was in, putting them all in #720, and one in #724. Jill was actually initially hired to replace Kathryn, because Kathryn was badly needed as the fourth female cast member since Alex wasn't around much at that point in the season. And they saved a few Kathryn sketches for future episodes because she was a fan favorite, which is rare for a featured player. This is why she appeared in almost every episode until #719, then barely appeared for the rest of the season.
#719 was Alex's last show as well; they saved a small handful of her sketches for episode #721.
Old 01/12/2003, 6:20 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Just to let you know, I also added this topic to the main page and credited Ian. :bow: Thanks SO much for finding that info! It's sad, she never really got a chance to shine.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 01/12/2003, 6:28 PM

Thanks for adding it to the news page, Cat!
Old 01/12/2003, 6:31 PM

Well, if you include her two featured player episodes, that's eight.. so we get at least one full episode of Jill. And again, they'll probably take the remainder of her sketches and spread them out during the season like they did with Phil LaMarr in season five. So we'll probably get at least a couple of episodes left with Jill.
Old 01/12/2003, 6:42 PM
Get down tonight!

I'm shocked to my very fondations. They better get another girl in quick, help pump up the oestrogen levels on the show a bit.

Old 01/12/2003, 6:49 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Thanks for adding it to the news page, Cat!
No problem.

Old 01/12/2003, 7:24 PM

Yeah, I don't know what they're going to do with her leaving. For whatever reason, they hired Paul Vogt in her place, but he's a guy. I guess they're going to try to make due with three women, like they did on the first two seasons, but it's harder that way. Ah well. The Debra, Mo, and Stephnie trio is even stronger than the great Debra, Mary, and Nicole trio; so if the first two season's female cast could do it, this female cast sure can.
Old 01/12/2003, 7:24 PM

BTW, do you prefer being called Cat or Matt? :o
Old 01/12/2003, 7:35 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Well, it would be nice if they had more female cast members; but we'll just have to do with Debra, Mo, and Stephnie. Looks like our only Latina castmember just flew out the door.

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Old 01/12/2003, 8:37 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
BTW, do you prefer being called Cat or Matt? :o
Matt. But, Cat is cool too. Plus, there is already a Matt on the board.

Old 01/12/2003, 8:40 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

I wonder why she's leaving before even doing ten episodes. Well, happy future for you outside MADtv, Jill Michelle-melean! Arrgh...

--Reality Check

Old 01/12/2003, 10:04 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Well, even more castmember hoopla... I think she got pissed that she was treated worse than the featured cast. Female cast is left down to Mo, Debra & Stephnie... Thats really bad. I say they pay Nicole $500000000000000 so she comes back HEHEHE.... god i only wish.

Old 01/13/2003, 12:41 AM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Threads have been merged. Ian's original post was deleted so as to make everything fit together as a whole, but here are the parts of his post that weren't explicitly stated on the front page story:

Quote:
Fortunately, she will still appear (barely) in future episode(s), as she has filmed nine episodes; although there have only been ten in the season so far, she has only been present in six. I'm not sure if the number she gave, nine, includes the two episodes she was in for season seven. But if she didn't include that (which I don't think she did), then they have three full episodes' worth of appearances for her. They will probably spread out her remaining taped appearances on the show throughout the season (like they did with Phil LaMarr in season five), to fill in the gap of only three female cast members. Since it seems that in the last couple of episodes she has been in, and appeared fairly heavily, she will probably be present in around three to five more episodes of the season.

So sad She was a very talented cast member, who was never given a chance IMO. She had tons of unused potential, which was sad to see, and I she did the straight woman roles excellently and did the best impressions of the female cast.

How her leave will be handled at this point is unsure. Because there are no female featured players this season, there's a good chance the female cast will have to just putter along without her, with only three cast members.

Old 01/13/2003, 6:50 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Threads have been merged. Ian's original post was deleted so as to make everything fit together as a whole
Thanks Matt! :bow:

Old 01/13/2003, 9:34 AM

HiVolt, I think you're right. She probably left because she was frustrated with the little-as-hell roles she got all the time. And who could blame her?

Anyway, I think if the female cast ever had to live through having so few members, this season's cast can do it. Stephnie's the best cast member on the show, Mo is the second-best, and Debra is awesome too.
Old 01/13/2003, 9:52 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Well, I'm going to do my usual snoopy investigation to stir a boiling pot a little more If plans go as usual, the world will be mine...err...Kathryn Fiore will be back.

Old 01/13/2003, 11:34 AM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Matt! :bow:
Not a problem! Thanks for posting this story in the first place while I was busy installing our home network!