Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Movies
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12/29/2007, 7:49 PM
D2F

Default Juno

I saw this one last night after much anticipation and after hearing so many good things about it, but I hate to say I was pretty let down after actually seeing it.

I first feel compelled to say that there are some people who will absolutely love this movie. I think your chances of liking this movie go up if you are a younger and female and down if you're male.

Anyways, the story is about a 16 year-old girl named Juno who gets pregnant by her long time friend played by Michael Cera. She comes to the decision that rather than aborting the baby or just giving it straight to an adoption service, she will find a childless couple and give the baby a good home.

I went to see this movie for the most part because of Michael Cera, who has really great comedic talent, but he was pretty underutilized in this movie. The star of this film, Ellen Page, has a tendency to just read lines or is given lines that don't sound believable when delivered (see Hard Candy) and this was no exception.

I felt that far too much effort was put into trying to make quotable lines to appeal to a younger indy film crowd (much like Napoleon Dynamite did a few years ago). While that would have been good in moderation, the whole quirky angle was overdone and seemed very contrived. I also felt this turned out to be more of a "chick flick" than the trailers led on.

Anywho, there is some decent comedy in there, and overall the film wasn't really bad, it just wasn't very good. I can only speak for myself but I didn't really find myself LOLing so much as just smiling and maybe chuckling a bit at a few scenes, but then again I'm dead inside so your results may vary

THE LONG AND SHORT OF IT
Go see this movie if:
  • You have a vagina
  • You've worn out your DVD of Napoleon Dynamite
  • You're a big fan of Ellen Page's acting.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent

Old 12/29/2007, 10:24 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

I've actually been wanting to see this for a while, but I don't have anyone to go with me. I don't want to see this alone, especially since it's pretty chick-flicky.

I saw a review on the film that said pretty much what you said. I still want to see it though, but I think I better just find a torrent (and hopefully, not another Dom Player scam).

Old 12/30/2007, 8:06 PM
Hawt bytch
Staff Alumnus

I loveeed this movieeee
and i'm pretty sure i have no vagina
i liked ellen's wit. it was very sarah silvermanesque

Selena Luna = Best. Castmember. Ever.
Old 12/30/2007, 8:41 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I saw it today and thoroughly enjoyed it despite nem's critiques, which I actually agree with to an extent.
Old 12/31/2007, 2:07 AM
0ld sk00l

I know there are plenty of people who say that the dialogue in this movie is unrealistic, and that a 16 year old girl wouldn't talk that way, come up with such snappy comebacks, and make references to things before she was born.

However, I am 16 and I know people who do have such wit and snappy combacks and do in fact like things that occurred before they were born..so I don't really understand why people have such a hard time believing that people actually might talk like that.

Rainn Wilson however, was very underutilized.....jeez I think Michael Cera was too, but Rainn pretty much got one or two lines and then poof. He was gone.

But anyways, I really really loved this movie. The lines were so well scripted and really made me laugh and enjoy myself quite a bit. I'd have to say Juno is one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

My Fanfics
Old 12/31/2007, 12:43 PM
D2F

It's not that her dialog is inconceivable for a 16 year old to say, at least that wasn't the point I was making. They just seem arranged and/or delivered in a way that seemed very deliberate and forced to me. And of course the other factor were the lines that were made to be quotable. Michael Cera's character saying "wizard" all the time, that dude who plays Schrute with "This is one diddle you can't undo home skillet." That whole thing started to bug me and I saw that at least in the theater I went to people were not responding positively to it.

Don't get me wrong though there were some definitely great, sarcastic lines from Juno that I liked, I just think the writer went way overboard on far too many occasions with it.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Old 12/31/2007, 12:59 PM
0ld sk00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post
It's not that her dialog is inconceivable for a 16 year old to say, at least that wasn't the point I was making. They just seem arranged and/or delivered in a way that seemed very deliberate and forced to me. And of course the other factor were the lines that were made to be quotable. Michael Cera's character saying "wizard" all the time, that dude who plays Schrute with "This is one diddle you can't undo home skillet." That whole thing started to bug me and I saw that at least in the theater I went to people were not responding positively to it.

Don't get me wrong though there were some definitely great, sarcastic lines from Juno that I liked, I just think the writer went way overboard on far too many occasions with it.
Yeah I know that wasn't the point you were trying to make. I just saw on IMDB a lot of people felt that way so I decided to bring it up.
I guess I can see what you're saying, but I love Ellen Page so I didn't really notice that. My theatre laughed at like, every line.

It was so stupid though, these two retards in front of me, at the part when she's crying and pulls over on the street, one of them was like "OMG SHES GONNA DIE" and I was like....

My Fanfics
Old 12/31/2007, 4:55 PM
Hawt bytch
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickers View Post
It was so stupid though, these two retards in front of me, at the part when she's crying and pulls over on the street, one of them was like "OMG SHES GONNA DIE" and I was like....
i thought she was going to kill her baby at that point

Selena Luna = Best. Castmember. Ever.
Old 01/02/2008, 2:08 AM
D2F

lol I actually did have a thought in the back of my mind that she was going to go do a belly flop down a flight of stairs or something :O

Old 01/03/2008, 4:04 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i wanna see this
ellen page + jennifer garner = mmmm good times
Old 01/03/2008, 4:06 PM
D2F

Jennifer Garner looked really pretty in this movie but your pedo-ness for Ellen Page disturbs me

Old 01/03/2008, 4:24 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

how is it pedo-ness.shes like...20yrs old.
Old 01/03/2008, 4:36 PM
D2F

She's played NOTHING but loli though. Sure, you'd be ok in the eyes of the law but not IN THE EYES OF THE LAWD!

Old 01/03/2008, 5:35 PM
Bender: still great

And yet, you haven't even posted a single Pedobear pic. That's way out of character for you.

/I don't belong in this thread

Old 01/18/2008, 2:25 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i fulfill two of the three reasons why someone would like this movie(napolean dynamite was OVER RATED)
And i really really enjoyed this movie.Loved it,infact.
I was so worried that juno and whats-his-face-played-by-jason-bateman were gonna hook up.that woulda been wrong on many levels.
The songs got a bit repetative after a while,cause each different song basically sounded EXACTLY THE SAME
I don't really have many complaints other then that
can i just ask..wtf was up with her sister??
was it just me or was her head retarded? maybe she is retarded? i should feel bad for saying that,but hey...i'm curious
Old 01/18/2008, 2:58 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

I saw this the other day and I was kinda disappointed. I thought the underlying story was really good, you know, like the reasoning behind why she was so picky about the adopters. But I found the dialogue incredibly forced.
I don't doubt a 16 year old girl can have snappy comebacks, but throughout the whole movie it was just too much. I get they wanted the movie to be quirky, but it was forced and fake. I mean, if I found out I was preggers, the last thing i'd do is set up a mock living room on the baby-daddy's lawn.

-------------------------------
"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

-------------------------------
Old 01/18/2008, 3:39 PM
Totally F****able

I found out the other day that this movie was written by a former stripper.

Fun.

Old 01/18/2008, 4:47 PM
D2F

Yay, the resident movie snob somewhat agrees with me. I feel validated

Old 01/19/2008, 2:51 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

Yes,the writer is a former stripper.And she gave herself a kickass name.Diablo Cody...thats a pretty bitchin' name,right?
in some photos i'm like..she was a stripper???? and then in other photos of her shes smokin HOT!
Old 01/21/2008, 5:20 PM
i'm an institution

i just saw this today, and i gotta say, i really liked it haha. im totally over Napoleon Dynamite (it makes me want to shove a tater tot into my eye) and i thought this was a lot better. i thought it was funny but they definitely needed to use michael cera more

oh hey, this place is different