Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Movies
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09/02/2004, 6:06 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Default Top 10 Horror Movies?

I love horror movies, which I know is cliche because most people love horror movies, but I wanted to know what everyone else's favourite are. I can't rank them, but here are 10 of my favourites.

The Exorcist- An amazing film with great acting, and terrifying-without-being-over-the-top twists. Part II sucked, part III was ok IMO< and the jury is still out on part IV which is currently in theatres now.

Stephen King's "IT"- Since the first time I saw this movie, I have been terrified of clowns. For life. I saw it back in the mid-90's, and while it lost some of it's original spark for me when I saw it again last year, the clown still scares the hell out of me.

Silence of the Lambs- I think the scariest thing about this movie is the acting from the 2 leading characters. Anthony Hopkins and Ted Levine as Hannibal Lecter and Buffalo Bill respectively, were amazing, believeable characters.

The Witches of Eastwick- The scene with the lady puking up the plums, and the ending with Satan's (Jack Nicholson's) mostrous body

The Blair Witch Project- I saw this for the first time when I was 14, and I thought it was real. 'Nuff said.

Halloween- I didn't really like any of the sequel Halloween movies, with the exception of H20 which I personally thought was pretty good, but the original was amazing.

Final Destination- I really thought the first one was amazing. FOr an original script, I thought it was well thought out, and nowhere near as cliche as most of the blonde-cheerleaders-running-from-man-in-mask "horror" that was produced in the late 90's early 00's thanks to Wes Craven mainly. I like that things were resolved, and that eventually (ie the second movie) it is discovered that there are no survivors. Few movies have a main protagonist that doesn't last for more than a few sequels, and although I didn't like the 2nd as much as the first, it's good to see a movie that doesn't follow the conventional genre that is outlined in todays Movie Culture.

Nightmare on Elm Street- Freddy. My neighbour had a huge poster of the wall of his bedroom and I swear to God, everytime I went over there, Freddy would move when I walked in. Scared the hell out of me. When I finally got to see the movie, it was even worse.

And for 10... I have to go with alot of Stephen King stuff not including "IT" listed earlier. I think alot of his recent stuff (That I have seen anyway) like "Rose Red" and "Dreamcatcher" started out good, but as the hours wore on, became unbearably bad. That said, Sleepwalkers, Misery, Tommyknockers, The Shining and the Langoliers remain some of my favourite King horrors.

-------------------------------------------

I think horror at it's purest is what affects you as a child. As you get older, and learn the true face value of movies, it's alot harder to be frightened, but when you are young, you are much more easily drawn into the text. Most of the films I listed I saw in the 90's, and rarely these days do I find a new horror movie that I really enjoy.

Last edited by Dartanian; 09/02/2004 at 5:16 PM.

Old 09/02/2004, 9:47 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

I remember when i was in grade 7 and 8, you were considered more 'cool' if you had seen more horror movies than most people. So I rented a bunch and now they all seem to suck. The only 2 movies that made me ever jump were Signs and the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre (saw that one in the theatres)

Old 09/02/2004, 10:39 AM
Resident Movie Snob <3

1. The Silence of the Lambs
2. Se7en
3. Secret Window (Does that count?)
4. From Hell (That too?)
5. Hannibal
6. The Shining
7. Child's Play
8. Alien
9. The Snake Pit
10. Session 9

...I thought 'Nightmare on Elm St.' was the one with Freddy? But I dunno, I'm not really into Wes Craven stuff.

-------------------------------
"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 09/06/2004, 7:27 PM
Get SPUN,baby.

1.Halloween
2.Freddy Vs.Jason
3.Wishmaker
4.Child's Play
5.Texas Chainsaw Massacre
6.Blair Witch project
7.Finald Destination
8.The Silence of the Lambs
9.13 Ghosts
10.Hannible
Old 09/12/2004, 5:43 AM
Regular

Horror movies are the best, my uncle used to make my cousins and I watch them when I was like 7, scared the crap out of us. And we even made our own home made ones, really cheesy and funny though *L*

So 10...that's tough...

1: Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness, more comical than scary but I loved it.

2: Nightmare on Elm St - 1 & 4, first one was scary and the rest kinda sucked but in the fourth how often is it you get to see three hot guys in one movie!

3: Lost Boys - Great movie and more so because it was about vampires.

4: Hellraiser 2 - Hellbound, Pinhead and the cenobites, the fact that it's not your average vamp, zombie, werewolf kind of movie...Clive Barker writes great stuff.

5: Interview with a Vampire - I'm a big Anne Rice fan as some of you may tell from my username and on the whole this movie stayed pretty true to the book. Unfortunately the makers of Queen of the Damned in the next movie, chose not to have her involved and maybe a quarter of it actually came from the book, all in all a **** sequel as most tend to be.

6: Aliens - A big fan of H.R.Giger, who created the Alien creature. Cool movie, nuff said.

7: It - Yes the clown freaked me out a lot! But I saw Rocky Horror awhile after and from then on I couldn't get Tim Curry singing "sweet transvestite" out of my head when I watched It again and tada no more scary clown. *L*

8: Exorcist - A classic.

9: Day of the Dead - Lots of blood, lots of guts Tom Savini is king.

10: From Dusk Til Dawn - Vampires, Tarantino, Cheech, Salma....and Savini's great sfx as usual *yay*

Hmm 10 wasn't enough Jim!
Old 09/12/2004, 9:08 AM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Memnoch, I figured you liked Anne Rice because of you name. I agree, QotD did suck, i was very dissapointed since that is one of my favorite books by her.

Anyway, From Dusk till Dawn! I love that movie, Tarantino and Cloony were majorly funny.

-- What's in mexico?
-- Mexicans.

"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 09/12/2004, 4:14 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by PitaPockets
Memnoch, I figured you liked Anne Rice because of you name. I agree, QotD did suck, i was very dissapointed since that is one of my favorite books by her.

Anyway, From Dusk till Dawn! I love that movie, Tarantino and Cloony were majorly funny.

-- What's in mexico?
-- Mexicans.
Oh yeah I loved From Dusk Till Dawn! To be honest, I was about 14 or 15 the first time I saw it, and I didn't know what it was about. At first I thought it was just an action(ish) movie, and had no idea that it was about vampires until the first vampire changed in the "Titty Twister" bar. Awesome movie, I Tarantino (But not in a homosexual way, that's fer sure). He's one of my fave directors. I agree that Queen of the Damned sucked... I didn't read the book, but I still thought the moive was boring.

Old 09/12/2004, 8:36 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i'm not the biggest fan of horror so i don't really have a top 10
so i'll just roll off some names..

Braindead - Peter Jackson(aka Lord Of the Rings dude) made this low budget new zealand horror zombie flick ages ago,its funny,yet seriously gross

Scream - cause...just cause i like it ok

The Monster Squad - kind of a horror movie for kids,i loved this movie growing up

The Birds - Hitchcock movie,i've only seen it once but the idea of birds attacking people is GREAT!

The ring - good creepy movie...yep.my phone rang while i was watching the special features...which was the full length video that appears in the movie..FREAKY

Beetlejuice - more of a comedy,but still...its a great movie
Old 09/13/2004, 4:26 PM
<3 True Love <3

I've Seen Some But Not A Lot Of Horror Movies...But I Think THe Ones That Were Made In like the 70/80's Are The Best Cause Now Every thing is advanced sure But in the 70/80's They Had more Authenticity and They Just Seemed Better.

anyways Horror Movies I liked.

Candyman(Creepy!), Childern Of the Corn, Signs(I Liked it and Own It!) Any Friday The 13th movie that I've seen, Nightmare On Elm Street, Freddy Vs. Jason(Kicked Ass and Took MAJOR names!) The Haunting, It(Definitly), All Silence Of the Lambs Trilogy Movies, Epecially Red Dragon(LOVED IT!) and Then There Are Some more but I can't Remember them........

*disclaimer: this post is not intendid to offend male homosexuals due to it's flamboyancy...any discrepencies from this post need be discussed in a pm to the poster thank you!

Old 09/13/2004, 7:03 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tarzapam
i'm not the biggest fan of horror so i don't really have a top 10
so i'll just roll off some names..

Braindead - Peter Jackson(aka Lord Of the Rings dude) made this low budget new zealand horror zombie flick ages ago,its funny,yet seriously gross

Scream - cause...just cause i like it ok

The Monster Squad - kind of a horror movie for kids,i loved this movie growing up

The Birds - Hitchcock movie,i've only seen it once but the idea of birds attacking people is GREAT!

The ring - good creepy movie...yep.my phone rang while i was watching the special features...which was the full length video that appears in the movie..FREAKY

Beetlejuice - more of a comedy,but still...its a great movie
You have GREAT taste in movies Tarza!!! Anyone who thinks The Birds is a good movie is definitly a friend of mine.

Old 09/16/2004, 5:21 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

its more cause i loved watching people getting attacked by birds...and birds flying into glass panels...its great
Old 09/16/2004, 7:02 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Braindead was *so* funny. Especially Mother. I loved the scene with her walking up the stairs... so hilarious.

Old 09/18/2004, 10:09 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

the part that sticks in my mind is when two of the zombies make out and their lips and mouths just kinda rip off their heads and they have the zombie baby and the guy takes it for a walk and like smacks it into the pole,that bit was hi-LAR-ious
Old 09/18/2004, 10:32 PM
26/07/16!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tarzapam
the part that sticks in my mind is when two of the zombies make out and their lips and mouths just kinda rip off their heads and they have the zombie baby and the guy takes it for a walk and like smacks it into the pole,that bit was hi-LAR-ious
Lol that movie is very funny and messed up at the same time. He should make a big budget sequel to it, imagine that Have you guys seen Bad Taste? Its not as good as Braindead but its funny nevertheless.

Old 09/22/2004, 5:35 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i've heard about it...
and thats its more budgetless then braind dead
and also the fact that its only just been unbanned from censorship
oohh the intrigue
Old 09/29/2004, 5:12 PM
for the emperor

1.Day of the dead (1985)

2.Dawn of the dead (1978)

3.Dawn of the dead (2004)

4.Night of the living dead (1990)

5.Night of the living dead (1968)

6.28 Days later

7.a Nightmare on Elm street

8.The Exorcist

9.IT

10.The Stand

I'm back baby

In all my years I have never seen them do that!
Old 09/30/2004, 2:13 PM
Madguy

in not any order here are them
- 28 days Later
- The texas chainsaw massacre (the 2004 version)
- The ring
- the wishmaker
- Cabin fever
- crossroads (britney spears in a movie? thi has to count)