Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 14 (2008-2009)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your Favourite Sketch of 1407?
Opening: Soup Kitchen Nightmares #1-2 8 34.78%
New Music 4 17.39%
Nacho Buys Rock Solid Bank #1-2 3 13.04%
Lap Dancing with the Stars #1-3 1 4.35%
Black Racket 0 0%
Too into Guitar Hero 3 13.04%
Bae Sung: Superbowl Halftime Show 2 8.70%
A Brittle Brit British 1 4.35%
Closing: Crista and Cast 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03/06/2009, 3:59 AM
Hardcore Fan

Yeah, it is. WTF is up with the wig?

Three months later, and this episode is every bit as good as it was the first time around. I absolutely loved #1407. This is exactly how the show should be every week (well, not exactly, but you know what I mean, okay?) Every sketch was fantastic (other than Bae Sung and Black Racket) and I really got to laugh my ass off. It was like #1406 (only without the suck). Thankfully Crista got a lot of airtime here, as did Nicole, Keegan, Eric, Matt, and Johnny. What more can I ask for (other than Crista getting her contract renewed for three more years--last paranthesee, promise)?

9/10

Old 02/07/2009, 3:40 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

I wasn't sure about this originally but after doing more searching, I have a question to ask. Is the Lily Allen Arden did in a Brittle Brit British the same Lily Allen I am thinking of? I ask mostly because of the hair. By what I have seen, she does not have pink hair.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)

Old 12/23/2008, 9:10 PM
Hardcore Fan

A couple points I want to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADfan2004 View Post
Closing: Crista and Cast: What, no thank you to Serena Williams? That was the first time all season where they didn't thank the guest star at the end.
I think this was because the closing for #1407 was done with #1403, and Serena's sketch was filmed AFTER they shot the ending.

Also tvman I noticed that your review actually totals out to 23 stars out of 35, not 20. I was wondering how there was only one really bad sketch in the episode and it still got a fairly low score. Just pointing out

Old 11/21/2008, 4:02 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

I try not to think about comparing the episodes with other episodes, rather rating them via my own liking. I mostly don't think about the previous episodes, just enjoy what we have now.

Old 11/21/2008, 3:05 AM
Hardcore Fan

You know, do you feel like half of us think the season is getting better as it goes along and half of us think it's getting worse?

Old 11/21/2008, 2:43 AM
Hardcore Fan

Soup Kitchen Nightmares- Thank you for listening to my suggestion (I hope? ) and thank you for making this sketch great. All good parodies must be able to not stand just on the real show's, but they must also work on their own merits. This DID, and for that (and Bobby's outfit) I can't give this anything less than 5 stars. Excellent.

New Music- So, good concept, good performances, and good execution! To be honest, this one's a little weird to rate, since it fluctuates between drop-dead hilarious and just funny every time I watch it. I must say I liked the shots of British Crista and Drag Bobby. Since I go between 5/4 stars on this, why not average it out?

Soup Kitchen: Eaten- 30 seconds long, dark, and wickedly funny.

Nacho Hernandez Buys Rock Solid Bank- They're running out of characters. How do I know? Because they took Nacho from #1403 and aired him a mere 4 episodes later. This one was just decent, some of the bits were funny, such as Nacho's "homes" and Erica's little-by-little description of the selling and repossession of Rock Solid Banks, but there's not enough to justify anything more than this:

Lap Dancing With The Stars #1- Another excellent concept, with solid performances put in by Nicole, Eric, Johnny, Lauren, Bobby, and (dare I say it after last week's Goldie Hawn?) Arden. The sexy par......I mean, the dances could have been longer here, just like in SYTYCD. Coincidence? 5 stars, minus half for not being sufficiently orgasmic, plus half for Nicole's Samantha Harris.

Black Racket- I was expecting this to be shit, but there was enough humor around this time, like the puns and Matt in drag. The idea seems kind of...weird, though, and I HATED that annoying theme song. Not only does it suck, but it's just so CATCHY!

Lap Dancing With The Stars #2- The second round of Lap Dancing began with a brilliant Gilbert Godfried impression, solid writing, and excellent lap dancing. It ended with a 5 star rating. (I'd give plus 1 for the lap dance, but I'm planning on saving my only 6-star rating for next week.)

Nacho Hernandez Buys Rock Solid Bank #2- Thankfully, they put some variety into this character before his news act got stale (I see it staling right now...). This was solid.

Too Into Guitar Hero- I actually liked this. It shows how connected everyone's been this season. Everyone gave off nice performances, it didn't drag, and it actually got me laughing at points. 4 stars, minus half for the slightly contrived ending.

Bae Sung: Halftime Show- I've never seen a Bae Sung in my life, but from the way everyone was hating on it, I was also expecting this to be shit. It actually wasn't bad at all; in fact, it was great! The chain at the beginning was hilarious, and I loved the ending bit as well. All-around 3.5 stars.

A Brittle Brit British- When Erica pushed Crista down and slammed her, I was literally floored (what a pun). Like adam said, it went from great to bad to great. 4.5 stars, plus half for Nicole's aMaZiNg Amy Winehouse.

Lap Dancing With The Stars #3- You guys really just love dark humor, huh?

Extras- They didn't exist this time around, haha.

nutshelled: Until #1405 changes my mind, this is the best episode of the season so far. Plenty of solid performances, lots of one-offs, no extras, and no filler? What can I really say at this point? Do even better next week. The episode received 50.5/60 (55.5/65 with the extras ), or 8.5/10. Even with the first rocky bits of Season 14, you guys are really turning your act around! Nice work!

MVP: There's too many people who did a great job tonight (hell, EVERYONE did a great job tonight), but as the standout of the entire episode, I have no choice but to hand this week over to Nicole. Whether she'll be absent or present next week is unknown. It isn't known if that'll affect the quality of #1408 either, but looking at this episode for reference, my clear guess is NO.

Old 11/20/2008, 8:29 PM
Casual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post

Too into Guitar Hero:
Matt was great as the over-obsessed Guitar Hero player, but my favourite was Crista's sarcastic and sharp comments.
"no, don't go."

Old 11/20/2008, 6:04 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

I'm not going to give reviews anymore, just an overview of what I liked. I guess it's just better for me to enjoy the show more without finding weak points.

Soup Kitchen Nightmares:
Everyone was awesome here. Eric did a great impression of Gordon Ramsey, I must say. I loved the part where Bobby came out in his new attire.

New Music:
I don't really have much to say about this...

Nacho Buys Rock Solid Bank #1-2: Nacho! One of my favourite characters! It was cool to see him introduce his crew. Same jokes, sure, but it's still pretty funny to me.

Lap Dancing With the Stars #1-3: Nicole was funny as a clueless Samantha Harris. I don't know who Gilbert Godfried is . Mostly I found Bobby's pervert businessman act better than all of the 'contestants'. I don't watch the show, so... Yeah.

Black Racket: Only parts I liked; Bobby asking a man to stand up so he could sit down, saying hi to Nicole at an awkward moment, and Matt's 'You're going to be toast. French Toast.'

Too into Guitar Hero:
Matt was great as the over-obsessed Guitar Hero player, but my favourite was Crista's sarcastic and sharp comments.

Bae Sung: Super Bowl Halftime Show: I never understood Bae Sung, and I don't think I ever will. Useless point: I'm Chinese and I totally understood what that Zhang Yi Mou guy said.

A Brittle Brit British: I'm not a big fan of this, but at least there was Eric's Gordon Ramsey. Plus, I don't even know who are those other celebrities.

Last Point: Anyone notice whenever a character turns around or appears, the crowd will go wild?

Old 11/20/2008, 3:41 AM
Hardcore Fan

Holy shit, this was the best episode of the season! No bad sketches, plenty of one-offs, no annoying recurring bits, and even Bae Sung was okay. I could potentially go as high as 8.5/10 right now.

Review to come tomorrow or over the weekend.

Old 11/17/2008, 8:36 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

Episodes only on an average of about 1 per month? That's depressing...

Old 11/17/2008, 3:09 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

This wasn't a fantastic episode by any means, but it was enjoyable.

- The lack of Arden was refreshing after last week's episode.
- Lauren remains underused. The interactions between Jo Frost and whoever Bobby was playing was hilarious. I was disappointed that she just used the same lines from her first outing as this character. More of her please.
- Crista's Gilbert Godfried impression = hilarious.
- I found Matt annoying in every role he had in this episode, bar his French tennis playing sasquatch character. Unfortunate.
- Eric is amazing. Loved the Soup Kitchen Knightmares, especially the follow up. It was darkly delicious.
- Johnny is easily my second favourite male on this show. I enjoy his performances in almost all his roles, like the guy in the Lapdancing with the stars sketch. Nacho was hilarious as well.
- I liked the open. Pretty clever.
- The Brittle Brit British sketch was funny. The Amy Winehouse and Kate Moss impressions provided serious laffos.
- The Lily Allen impression, however, did not.
- Bae Sung was the only sketch I wanted to fast forward through.
- I actually enjoyed the Black Racket sketch. Serena Williams was surprisingly good, although the premise was just like the Condi Comes to Harlem sketch + tennis references.
- Capt Dope is the nickname of one of the writers, Colton Dunn. I'm guessing he wrote the Guitar Hero sketch? If so, it pretty much sucked.

It scares me to think there may only be 7 episodes left, stretched over the next 6 months.

Old 11/16/2008, 10:01 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Point

Does Nicole's hair colour seem to change every episode.

Review

Soup Kitchen Nightmares #1-3: This was pretty good. A very creative parody and a great impression by Eric. I love him getting mad in a British accent. Very well done.

New Music: Eather the writers knew of the cancellation before we did, or it was a coincidence. Keegan does speak the truth though, they have worked a toiled for 14 years without any appreciation. Somebody give this show an award. Here's a crazy idea guys. Maybe we should make the Planet MADtv Award for Best Show Ever and give it to MADtv via e-mail or something. MADtv needs an award, and we should be the ones to give it to them. The sketch was ok.

Nacho Buys Rock Solid Bank #1-2: I'm already tired of Nacho, I still don't get him.

Lap Dancing With the Stars #1-3: The songs sung by Matt were good, and Nicole's Samantha Harris was funny even though I don't know who that is, but the rest of the sketch was pretty bad. People said they liked Crista's Gilbert, but I thought it was too wierd. Even in a good role spot Arden still sucks.

Black Racket: Not very funny. I wonder did Fox make a deal with Serena's agent that said that MADtv had to do a sketch with her in it and they just said alright we'll come up with something. I ask because I don't see how they would ever get the idea of Serena Williams as a guest star in their heads. I do like hearing Nicole in a Russian accent though.

Too into Guitar Hero: So funny! As a person who is bad at Guitar Hero I know how crazy people can get when you can't play. I am so sad for Matt that the show is being cancelled. He has shown great potential, and now it is all for not. I really think he could have been one of the great MADtv stars. If the show does move to another network, I hope he gets picked up. He will not be as popular as if he was on Fox but he will still be on MADtv.

Bae Sung: Super Bowl Halftime Show: Let's get over the fact that I thought they killed Bae Sung, turned him into hamburger and fed him to Bobby Lee, this sketch wasn't great. I just didn't laugh as much as I thought I would. I wish Bae had said more outragious things. He did that a little more like he did with the previous sketches of this kind. Did you hear the laughs when he said "uh-oh hot dog" they use to cheer for that. Now it was just a laugh. It could have been better.

Out of 35 stars this episode got 23 stars. That's about a C+. A seemingly empty episode for me. Maybe I miss the Extras more than I thought. I will say that MAD gets a pass this week for problems due to the news but they better make the last episodes the best we have ever seen.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)

Last edited by tvmanismadformad; 12/23/2008 at 9:26 PM.

Old 11/16/2008, 9:02 PM
Hardcore Fan

I called Lauren as the worst FP at the beginning... she hasn't really brought anything since. Just thought I'd add that

Old 11/16/2008, 8:25 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Opening: Soup Kitchen Nightmares #1-2: This one started out a little weak, but it got better as the sketch went on. Eric's Gordan Ramsey is actually very good. The reprise was a little pointless, though. 4/5

New Music: With the news of the show's cancellation, this one turned out to be more sad than it was funny. They're yelling out, "Please give us awards" when they should be yelling out, "Please don't cancel us." Had the show not been axed only three days before, I think my perception of the sketch would've been different. But if you look at it like that, it was pretty weak, and it went on for two long. 2/5

Nacho Buys Rock Solid Bank #1-2: Even though this appearance of Nacho Hernandez is only four episodes after the last one, I'm not sick of this character... yet. His schtick will probably get really old really fast, though, but for obvious reasons, I don't think that'll be much of a problem. Anyway, this one was pretty good, just like the last. I agree that the state of Raider Nation is very sad. Part two was MUCH better than part one, I thought, but for all intents and purposes, I'll grade them together. 4/5

Lap Dancing with the Stars #1-3: With the exception of The View sketch from 1405, I'm never a big fan of them doing sketches on the main stage like this (like Albania's Got Talent or SYTYCD: Presidential Edition). This one, however, was pretty nice. The lap dancing parts weren't that funny, though. The sketches really shined because of Nicole's Samantha Harris impression. I don't watch Dancing with the Stars, so I don't know who Samantha Harris is, but her impression was pretty funny. Matt's Tom Bergeron left much to be desired, though. 3/5

Black Racket: Wow, this was fucking TERRIBLE. WTF? This didn't make any sense, it wasn't funny, and it was a terrible use of a guest star. Serena Williams did pretty good with what she was given, but this was pretty lame. There wasn't even a part that got me to even smile. This is the type of sketch where, if someone who hadn't seen the show in a while tuned in after hearing about the cancellation, would say to themselves, "God damn, no wonder this show is getting cancelled!" 1/5

Too into Guitar Hero: I was expecting this to just be some lame advertisement for Guitar Hero like the Toyota Yaris sketch from Season 12 (especially given the promo), but it wasn't, so that made me happy. I don't know why this was shot on a remote, though. They could have easily built a set for it. There was nothing too elaborate in the set at all. Anyway, as far as the sketch itself, it was pretty good. Matt got a pretty nice utilization, it didn't drag on, it was pretty funny, and it was a nice one-off. My only problems with it were when Johnny came in (his part seemed kind of pointless), and the ending when they all started playing all skillfully. 3.5/5

Bae Sung: Superbowl Halftime Show: This was a very interesting sketch. I think it's weird that they chose to bring Bae Sung back, especially after he died, but this was a pretty good one. It didn't follow the typical Bae Sung formula of neither one of them knowing what he was talking about, and then they both yell at him and call him an idiot. I thought it was great how Keegan's character actually thought Bae Sung was actually making sense AND thought that the shit he was making up was actually a good idea. My only issues with this one were that then ending was weird, the beginning part with the translator choking was a stupid way to set up Bae Sung, and shouldn't they have waited till February to air this sketch? 3.5/5

A Brittle Brit British: I missed most of this sketch because a Degrassi marathon was on, but it looked... decent, or at least, Nicole's Amy Winehouse did. N/A

Closing: Crista and Cast: What, no thank you to Serena Williams? That was the first time all season where they didn't thank the guest star at the end.

Final Thoughts: This was a weird episode. It wasn't too bad, but I don't know if too many people would like it. I definitely don't think it's the kind of episode you want to be showcasing to people who haven't seen the show in a while to start watching it again so they don't get cancelled. And I'm not sure it did a really good job of hooking in the people who saw the promo during Family Guy last Sunday.

As far as the episode itself, it was okay, though definitely inconsistent. There was nothing that was out-of-the-park hilarious, but most of the sketches got me to laugh. This probably would have been a much better episode had there not been "New Music" and "Black Racket." Also, I'm disappointed that they didn't play the "Phoning It In" sketch with Eric and Johnny. It actually looked really good. Hopefully they'll air it next week.

There were no extras this week, so I'm definitely happy about that. And there was a nice utilization of the featured cast, except Lauren, who hasn't really impressed me like the others have. Also, a surprisingly high amount of Nicole, considering she was only in one sketch last week. All in all, it was a decent ep. Nothing spectacular, but definitely better than some of the other episodes this season. And even if it WERE, I'd be somewhat willing to give them a free pass this week because this episode was made before the cancellation. /5

Old 11/16/2008, 8:12 PM
Fresh Meat

In my opinion, this was definitely the worst episode of the season. I did not laugh once. I don't even remember grinning. It's a shame, too. Because MADtv probably got more publicity this week because of all the news of the show being cancelled.

Old 11/16/2008, 12:23 PM
Fresh Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristaFan View Post
Seems to me that they have used Erica well the last few weeks

Ah, how nice it would be if we had say, Jordan here instead of Bobby. And Dan Oster instead of Johnny Sanchez. Who could replace Arden though? They haven't had a good new female cast member in a long time. And that's probably the only reason Arden's still here, to be used as an extra female cast member.
I'd love to see her as something more than just a reporter. The Condi skit, her little part as Naomi, all funny.

I wish they'd have kept Nicole RJ instead of Arden after season 12.
And it would be nice to see Jordan instead of Bobby, and even though I feel Johnny is getting better (That baseball skit made me laugh hard), I would've preferred they kept Dan too.

Old 11/16/2008, 12:13 PM
Hardcore Fan

soup kitchen nightmares
this was great throughout

new music
decently amusing

nacho buys rock solid bank
i haven't liked a nacho sketch yet, but this one was actually pretty funny throughout

lap dancing with the stars
i liked parts of this, nicole's awful hosting, that move arden did on the floor, but crista's gilbert gottfried was the real winner here. sure, there are a lot of people out there who can pull off a pretty good impression of gilbert gottfried's voice, but have you ever seen anyone pull off such a nearly identical impression of his face? magic!

black racket
it's pretty bad when lame tennis puns are the best part of a sketch. a star for bobby lee tapping that guy on his shoulder and taking his seat

too into guitar hero
best line of the night: "no, i'm taking this way too seriously!" this was good

bae sung: superbowl halftime show
is there a cobbler in the room? haha. everything was going fine until bae sung showed up

a brittle brit british
nope

overall, i'm satisfied

Old 11/16/2008, 11:35 AM
n4yr

Awesome episode. Best of the season so far. This season seems to be gettting better as it goes. It wsa nice to see Lauren and Eric back. Nicole and Erica seemed to be every sketch and there was barely any Arden

Soup Kitchen Nightmares #1-2: The first was quite drole however the second part wasn't as great. Eric did a good impression. Nicole was fantabulous as the nun. A

New Music: Best sketch of the night IMO. A

Nacho Buys Rock Solid Bank #1-2: I'm not too crazy about this character and airing this installment so soon after the previous one. C

Lap Dancing with the Stars #1-3: Matt's Bergeron wasn't that good but I did love Nicole as Samantha. Crista's Gilbert Gottfried was amazing. And Lauren was amazing as the Super Nanny again. Of course Arden's Jaime Spears was awful. There wasn't that much lap dancing though B

Black Racket: I actually liked this one. Bobby barely said anything in this sketch. B

Too into Guitar Hero: Loved it B

Bae Sung: Superbowl Halftime Show: eric reminded me a bit of Ike in this sketch. Bae seemed really different in this one. He didn't talk the same and the audience barely laughed when he said "uh-oh hotdog". I didn't find it that irritating because we haven't seen this character in quite a while. C

A Brittle Brit British: Another good one. But I wanted to see more of Lauren's QEII. I want to see Eric do an impression of Prince Charles. Hey his 60th b-day was this week,. Anywayz Nicole's Winehouse- good, erica's Naomi campbell- fair, Arden's whatever she did, meh, Eric's Gordan ramsay- twice in one ep is kinda over doing it but still good, B

Old 11/16/2008, 11:05 AM
dfsvrg

Opening: Soup Kitchen Nightmares #1-2 - Nothing really special about this. It was funny though.

New Music - YES YES YES YES YES! This is what made the night for me. It was amazing.

Nacho Buys Rock Solid Bank #1-2 - I skipped right past this. They always suck so I didn't think it was worth it.

Lap Dancing with the Stars #1-3 - Nicole's Samantha Harris was DEAD ON. And seeing the nanny again was great. The concept was perfect.

Black Racket - What the fuck was this? It was terrible. But Matt and Nicole made the sketch worth it.

Too into Guitar Hero - This was okay. Like adamfishercox said, it was more like a commercial than a sketch.

Bae Sung: Superbowl Halftime Show - I'm glad to see him back. I always liked this character. And the people in hot dog costumes spelling out "uh-oh hot dog" was great.

A Brittle Brit British - This was great. And we got to see Erica's Naomi Campbell, which is perfect.

Closing: Crista and Cast - Great.

Overall:
No extras = Best episode of the season.

Old 11/16/2008, 10:49 AM
Hardcore Fan

Opening: Soup Kitchen Nightmares #1-2 - Loved it. Well done on the impressions and writing. Laughed out loud a couple times.

New Music - Interesting idea, but not terribly funny. It seems like show openings are a sticking point for every sketch show. Always sooo awkward.

Nacho Buys Rock Solid Bank #1-2 - I'm getting tired of him already, same old jokes, but I can't say they weren't clever.

Lap Dancing with the Stars #1-3 - Loved these. A star for Nicole's Samantha, one for Eric, and three for the totally unexpected and brilliant Gilbert Gottfried by Crista.

Black Racket - Better than I thought it would be, for a racially-named skit... I laughed at "Ping Pong" and the "I got shrapnel in my ass." Matt was great too. And by the way, the line said during the production card about French Toast was said by Matt in this skit.

Too into Guitar Hero - I think this would have been funnier if I hadn't known this was basically an ad. It was clearly written around Guitar Hero.

Bae Sung: Superbowl Halftime Show - Nowhere near as painful as I thought it might be, it moved long pretty fast. Loved the chain of doctor, pilot, cobbler at the beginning. Minus a star for Bobbly continuing to do this character he hates, and minus one for the weird computer graphics.

A Brittle Brit British - Great makeup. This one went from bad to good to bad to good. Too bad arden was in this. Pretty solid. They have a knack for making fun of Britain. (See: The BBC News sketch from S13. Hilarious.)

Closing: Crista and Cast - A closing. Pretty normal. I'll give it five stars for no extras.

Overall a very solid night, if not terribly laugh out loud, it was all clever. MVP of the night either Eric or Nicole, with runners up Matt and Crista. Plus, they filled it all with skits. NO EXTRAS!

Overall: