Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 8 (2002-2003)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/13/2004, 5:32 AM
26/07/16!!

Default Re: #811 Review

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Cockhurtz
Encore: V.D. What a Drag (#722) - This was the best sketch of the night and probably one of my favourite sketches ever. Everyone put in good performances in this sketch and I thought the cast gelled together extremely well. It reminds me of why I love MADtv so much. It was good to see Taran and Will again, excellent performances. Ahh, it was just perfect. I loved it.
Will: "Oh goodness, oh my goodness" ROTFL
That whole sketch was too damn funny.

Old 05/13/2004, 5:14 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Default #811 Review

Opening: Scrabble's 50th Anniversary: - I guess this okay, and it was a nice change to see one of Aries more underused impressions, Bill Cosby, that wasn't utterly annoying. The other 3: Don King, Evander Holyfield and Little Richard were boring, overused/ lame and okay in that order. The concept of the sketch was okay, but I don't particularly enjoy Aries impressions so I can't rate this one too highly. Some of the words were funny.
/5

Celebrity New Year's Resolution #1: John Madden - At this point the Madden impression is so overused that even if sketches are remotely funny, I can't appreciate them too much because it seems as though the show is being lazy by putting in this character that Frank seems to do every other week, when there are literally HUNDREDS of other characters that would have been well suited to this sketch that he could have done. Don't get me wrong, the quick pop popcorn popper is a great sketch, but no John Madden sketch since then has emulated that one, because they seem to all be the same now.
/5

Oprahís Cash Giveaway! - I can't help but love Oprah. Debra really channels her in these sketches. Some of the ideas were funny, like her way onto the stage (making out with one guy, knocking another out) and the first bit with the money. It got weird when the stripper came on, although I was still pretty amused. I was happy to see Jill again, but she had such a small role in this sketch that I wasn't really worthwhile. Stephnie and Mo put in good performances, and Debra did, as always.
:/5

Celebrity New Year's Resolution #2: Shaquille O'Neal - I don't like this impression all that much. There were a few things funny about this, but for the most part it was pretty repetitive of this "character".
/5

Real Mother****ing Talk: News - I really liked this one. Excellent use of a guest star here, he was the best thing about this sketch. Debra was great too and Aries was good. My favourite part was the question about hockey, and how they all just sat there looking clueless. I love how Debra's eyes just widen right up in some sketches.
/5

Alcoholic support -This sketch was okay, although I'm not quite as enthusiastic about it as others. I love when they do one off sketches, but there was something missing in this sketch. I thought Ron was great here though.
/5

Celebrity New Year's Resolution #3: Madonna - This one was so much better than the first 2, but it's annoying that this one was so short and the other 2 seemed so long. Great, underused impression.
/5

Jenny Jones Show: Clips - By the end of this sketch, I was almost ready to give up on this episode, because this sketch was pretty annoying. Jenny Jones is a great segment, but this seemed like a wasted opportunity and I was getting annoyed by the same 2 lines being said over and over. If Jenny Jones really makes those noises that Mo makes during this sketch, I can see why her talk show was cancelled. Overall, a wasted sketch that during which I felt like throwing my remote at my TV.
/5

Encore: V.D. What a Drag (#722) - This was the best sketch of the night and probably one of my favourite sketches ever. Everyone put in good performances in this sketch and I thought the cast gelled together extremely well. It reminds me of why I love MADtv so much. It was good to see Taran and Will again, excellent performances. Ahh, it was just perfect. I loved it. It kinda reminds me of "Funkavision" the way the screen keeps cutting out. I need to get some of this sketch as a signature, post haste. My favourite lines: "Honey, our son has V.D" [Mom] "I'm gonna kill myself!" and [Doctor Littledove] "Vagina Vagina gina may fly away"
+/5

Musical Performance: Queens of the stoneage - I like QOTS, but these songs are so old by now it wasn't worth watching.

Overall rating - There were some good new sketches here, like Real Mother****ing News, Oprah's cash giveaway and Madonna's New Years Resolution, but the best sketch of the night was the encore, and there were 2 musical performances. That doesn't bode well In my opinion.
/10

Old 05/11/2004, 5:05 PM
26/07/16!!

Default Episode #811

Scrabble's 50th Anniversary
A reasonable sketch. The Litte Richard and Bill Cosby impressions were good, the Don King one was mediocre and the Evander Holyfield one was just annoying. The words that they made up were funny ("Whoooo"), this reminded me of the Klumps sketch Aries did back in the earlier seasons.
3/5

Celebrity New Year's Resolution #1: John Madden
We get the point that John Madden draws too much, they could have been more creative in this. Frank should of used his Robin Williams impression more and around the time of this episode it would have been topical with his movies like Insomnia and One Hour Photo (the show never really capitalised on that impression, only really featuring it in minor roles: the Insomnia talk sketch from #803 being the best).
2/5

Oprahís Cash Giveaway!
I didnt enjoy this one, it seemed sloppily written. Although there were admittedly some good parts (Mo's performance and whenever Oprah emphasizes words its always funny reminds me of the actual Oprah) still this wasnt enough to save it from being bland.
2/5

Celebrity New Year's Resolution #2: Shaquille O'Neal
I actually didnt mind this one. I dont really like the Shaq impression that much but some of the lines here were funny (now if i could remember them i would post some quotes, anyone?)
3/5

Real Mother****ing Talk: News
An interesting change from the usual format, nothing really much to write home about here. Tommy Davidson was good as Woogie and the part where they were silent for ages was funny, the best part of the sketch IMO.
2.5/5

Alcoholic Support
This sketch was very good, the performances by all the cast in this were great.
4/5

Celebrity New Year's Resolution #3: Madonna
This is really only a one joke sketch (Madonna saying she would not do movies anymore) thats basically all it was. It was funny how they showed various real life footage of people clapping.
3/5

Jenny Jones Show: Clips
All they really needed to do was to have another Jenny Jones sketch with one of those interesting topics and it would have succeeded but NOOOO they had to try something different. This was just stupid IMO, too repetitive.
2/5

Encore: V.D. What a Drag (#722)
A great sketch, very funny stuff. I liked all the editing and the parents reactions to there son having VD. Thumbs up, i also noticed it was written by Michael Hitchcock and some other guy.
4/5

Musical Performance: Queens of the Stone Age
This wasnt so bad i dont mind this song but i still didnt actually watch it lol.
3/5

Close: Musical Performance: Queens of the Stone Age
Interesting, instead of having a funny clever ending to the show they go with another musical performance. Why would you do that?
0/5

Overall
Not that the greatest episode ive ever seen, it seemed disjointed in places with all of the sketches being sub par, apart from a couple with the encore being one of the best (not a good thing).
5/10

*All sketch names appear courtesy of Mysteres Episode Guide

Old 01/29/2003, 6:08 AM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Scrabble's 50th Anniversary - Little Richard (Aries Spears) is in a commercial, promoting the 50th anniversary of the Scrabble game. Then, he plays the game with Bill Cosby, Evander Holyfield, and Don King, which are all played by Aries. I don't know why Aries has tons of sketches that showcases so many of his impressions simultaneously this season (#806's Spears on Sports, #809's Lords of the Bling, now this). Usually, Aries isn't that great of an impressionist, but the Bill Cosby impression is excellent, one of my favorite impressions this season; the Little Richard impression is also quite good, the Don King and Evander Holyfield ones are okay. This is definitely the best of Aries's multi-impressions sketches, probably because that horrible Shaq impression isn't used. It's actually a higher point of this episode. The premise here was pretty weird, but overall it was a good sketch. The Bill Cosby impression is very funny, and the parts with Little Richard spelling out words ("lop-dop-doo", "whoooooo") made me laugh a lot too. Good sketch, overall, but definitely not the best opener segment of the season.
/5

Celebrity New Year's Resolution #1: John Madden - In the first installment of the Celebrity New Year's Resolution segment, John Madden (Frank Caliendo) promises to stop drawing on that TV thing that he always draws on to give opinions on plays. As he's saying this, he's drawing ways that he'll stop doing it. There have been better Madden sketches (my favorite so far being the Popcorn one in #805), but this was still good. And the part with him drawing the naked women was pretty funny.
/5

Oprah: Cash Giveaway - Oprah (Debra Wilson) is having a cash giveaway on her show, as part of her Angel Network. She starts off by having a woman, Enid Traylor (Mo Collins) read off her story, and when she says that Oprah is so much to her, that she calls her "MY Oprah", then Oprah gives her $10K. Another woman, Melanie Herbstron (Stephnie Weir), comes on, and tells her sad story, but says her "faith" let her get through it. Because she said her faith was in God, not Oprah, Oprah doesn't give her any cash. Another woman, Sheila (Jill-Michele Melean), comes on, but Oprah "just doesn't feel this one", and tells her to sit down right away. She gives money to random people, and promises to give some to two old ladies if they fight there on the spot. Then, an underwear model comes on, strips, and Oprah tells him he can get the watch if he gets it out of her vagina. Finally, someone pulls Oprah's finger, and a huge burst of money erupts out of her ass. I still love the Oprah impression and find it to be very funny, but, like Madden, there have been MUCH better Oprah sketches. It was very uneven with good and bad things, and overall the things combined turned out an okay sketch. Certain parts, like when Enid was lip-syncing her story behind the curtain, were very funny. But this was still really weird, and the writing is lacking. But, again, overall this was okay, not awesome though.
/5

Celebrity New Year's Resolution: Shaquille O'Neal - Shaq (Aries) makes dumb resolutions like quitting rapping and smiling twice a year. I still really dislike this impression, I find it to be the worst of the season actually, and I think it's already overused. His voice still droned on, but it wasn't as bad. This is actually probably the best Shaq sketch so far. I expected this to be horrible, but there were actually some funny lines here. So that makes it pretty good, although the weakest of the Resolution sketches.
/5

Real Motherƒucking Talk: News - Dollarbill Montgomery (Aries) now has a news show. His guest co-hosts are Nautica Brown (Debra) and Woogie Jones Johnson (guest star Tommy Davidson from "In Living Color"). They discuss North Korea, a huge tax cut, the whole Clonaid/Raelin cloned baby issue, and who will win the Stanley Hockey Cup. This segment wasn't anywhere as good as the excellent Real Mofo Talk sketch in #804, but this was still okay, and still better than its bad season seven segments. Aries and Debra were both subpar in this one, but Tommy Davidson was very good; his experience in sketch comedy really shows here. I found the part where they were trying to talk about the Stanley Cup to be very funny, but other than that, nothing is hilarious. It ran a little too long, the awesome interaction in the #804 sketch is gone here, and there aren't as many clever lines. Still, the Stanley Cup part was very funny, and I really enjoyed Tommy Davidson. Like the Oprah sketch, the good and the bad pretty much equaled here, making for an overall okay sketch.
/5

Alcoholic Support - A man (Michael McDonald) arrives at home to find his whole family (Mo, Stephnie, Ron Pederson, and Simon Helberg) sitting there with a substance abuse conselor (Debra). They say that they're there to discuss his alcoholism; but he reveals that he's been succesfully taking part in a 12-step substance abuse program, and hasn't had a drink in weeks. The whole family flips out, because they put in so much effort, planning, and money into this meeting. They get mad, and they encourage him to start drinking again so that they can go ahead with it as planned. This was definitely the best sketch of the night. Great performances from all, and it's a nice ensemble sketch. Overall, an excellent sketch and it shows that "MadTV" can still excel when it comes to writing when they try.
/5

Celebrity New Year's Resolution: Madonna - Madonna (Mo) promises that she will stop making films. It then shows huge crowds from the biggest political events in history with wild applause. This was by far the best of the Resolution sketches; the impression is very good and the makeup department did a good job making Mo look like Mo (one of Madonna's nicknames heh), much better than the impression of the "Movies" music video in episode #602, which although was still a good sketch overall, the impression wasn't good and the makeup department did a terrible job. Short, sweet, excellent segment.
/5

Jenny Jones Show: Clips - Jenny Jones (Mo) starts off the show by showing a clip from last week's show, which shows a clip from the show in 1999, which shows a clip from 1967, so on and so forth from 1865, 1332, the gladiator days, to caveman days, to the big bang, where she tries to show an earlier clip, but it isn't possible because it's the very beginning of time. This was basically a one-joke sketch, but it was still a great one. The impression is still very good. It went on kind of long, but seeing all the transformations of Jenny was very funny. And the topics from older times were funny too (1332: "a mother who thinks her daughter's armor is too revealing", gladiator days: "a mother who thinks her daughter has been spending too much time in the vomitorium", etc.) Overall, this was quite a good sketch, although it's weaker than past Jenny Jones segments.
/5

MADtv ENCORE - V.D. What a Drag (#722) - NO!!! That was one thing that I was impressed with season eight, not reairing sketches!!! This better damn be a rare case for the season. But regardless, this was a very good choice to reair; it's one of my favorite season seven parodies, actually. A parody of the Joe Namath's Young Body Films in the mid-70s; special guest appearances by Will Sasso, Jill, and Taran Killam, who are no longer on the show, and Bobby Lee, who is absent from all the new material in this episode. It spoofs how they always had horrible acting and editing. He starts off by asking various kids (Frank, Jill, Bobby Lee) what they think are the causes of VD, and they say ridiculous stuff like "from hookers and doorknobs", "from drinking cups and water fountains", and "nice kids don't get VD!" He says they're all correct. He then asks a doctor (Debra), "who is a wonderful lover", about the side effects of VD, and because of the horrible editing, her dialogue gets chopped up and she says things like "will cut off the penis" and "your vagina will fly away". Joe then says that if you have VD, your parents will not be calm; he then shows a skit in which a guy (Taran Killam) tells his parents (Will Sasso and Stephnie) that he has VD, and they react very calmly, "I'll get the penicillin". Then Joe says that your parents will probably react very angrily; so he shows a sketch in which the guy tells his parents, and they have a fit, "I'm going to kill myself!" So he says it's better to not tell your parents at all. Superb performances from everyone, even including Will, which was very rare for him in seasons six and seven, mainly because he didn't end up screaming like he always did; Michael, Taran, and Stephnie are especially good here. Even though I'm massively disappointed to see an Encore, this was just an awesome sketch, and a very accurate parody of those filmstrips, one of the best parodies from season seven. Better than all of the new material in this episode, actually.
/5

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE - Queens of the Stone Age - Although I'm even more disappointed to see an Encore AND musical performance, I actually enjoyed this. I expected this to be really bad, but this is probably the third-best performance of the season, behind Shaggy in #805 and Sum41 in #808. It's a very catchy little song, and I thought the bassist and guitarist were very talented. I think it ran a little long though, but still quite enjoyable.

CLOSE: MUSICAL PERFORMANCE - Queens of the Stone Age - GODDAMMIT, I just KNEW they were going to do this. Even when the Strokes performed twice in #806, they still had a closing segment. The improved closings was something I was really glad with season eight about too. But they didn't even have that here. Still, this was okay, not as good as the first, but still watchable. Usually when there's two musical performances, they're terrible (i.e. TenaciousD and Strokes), but at least that wasn't the case here.

Overall - This episode is the most solid of the season so far. Every sketch was okay, but nothing was excellent except for the Alcoholism sketch and the Madonna one, but that was less than a minute long; the Jenny Jones one was quite good, and the rest were just okay. Even the Shaq one was okay. But, like I said before, the episode wasn't filled to the brim with some really standout pieces, like #802 or #808 (although not a single one was bad or even close to it). So that knocks it down to a 8/10 so far. Mo, Aries, and Debra dominated the episode (it's pretty typical for Debra to dominate an episode this season, which is good), whereas Frank, Michael, Jill got only one sketch (Jill's was only a few seconds long), if you don't include the Encore (Jill's and Bobby's roles was still very very minute there though), and Stephnie only briefly appeared twice, which is disappointing. Jill is back in this episode, but I'm really disappointed in how the show has handled her; at this point though, I'm glad to see her in any role. Bobby was completely absent in the material for the second episode in a row, which is disappointing because he has really improved as the season has gone on. Josh wasn't in this episode again, and the show isn't as good without him; he's either a tiny role or none at all on the show in the past five episodes, which is disappointing because he was really impressive in the first six. Ike obviously wasn't here either then, but I'm not very fond of him, although his roles in #807-809 were surprisingly much better than most of his other work in earlier episodes. There were only eight new sketches here, three of them being very short, leaving only five regular-length sketch. I was HUGELY disappointed to see not only an Encore here, but TWO musical performances!! It's been almost a month since a new episode, could they really only come up with this little new material? Why don't they realize that people don't give a FLYING ƒUCK about some band's performances in a damn SKETCH COMEDY SHOW?!?! Let alone two of them! At the start of season eight, you could tell that the show was focused on improving, and they gave five stellar episodes. But the episodes following (except #808 and #809) were quite inferior, and I think it's because they're not focused as much, because they think they've solved all the problems and can start getting lazy again. Overall, nothing here bombed or was even not very good, but most were only okay sketches; although we got an excellent one and two quite good ones. And the episode was horribly structured, but it was very solid. Okay sketches, okay episode.

7/10

Old 01/23/2003, 7:34 AM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

I'm going to leave the detailed reviews to other people, since they're so good at them. So, here's my quickie:

The only sketch I really loved was the intervention one. I know I'm becoming a broken record here, but I love when they do these stand-alone original sketches. I wish they'd do more!

As for the rest...nothing really stood out. The New Year's resolutions for John Madden and Madonna weren't bad. The encore was actually a good choice, imo.

The Oprah, Real M****News, and Jenny Jones sketches started out good, but then went downhill quickly. They were just too long and drawn out.

Hopefully this week's ep will be better.

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy

Old 01/22/2003, 4:01 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Starring Aries
Scrabble: This sketch was basically a way to fit in another Clumps-like sketch. In this case it worked. The only complaint I have is that it didn't work as nicely as it could with the scrabble game, something seemed to not gel together. Overall, Aries strengths shined and it was a good way to open the show.
3 STARS

Starring Frank
New Years Resolutions #1- John Madden: This sketch I thought started out okay and ended fairly funny. But something was wrong. Then I realised SNL already did this a few years back where a dildo was drawn on the screen. I blame the writers, not Frank for this sketch's failure. Copying ends in a mark of zero.
1 STAR

Starring Debra, Mo, Stephnie, Jill-Michele
Oprah's Cash Givaway: This sketch featured the talents of the zanny Oprah at her best and worst. The Oprah sketches now days just carry themselves into a ridiculas show and ends quickly leaving your jaw hanging. Not a bad idea but it seemed to disjointed for some reason. But the efforts of the cast carried it.
4 STARS

Starring Aries
New Years Resolution #2- Shaquille O'Neal: This sketch I didn't like. I don't like the impression, it's not funny. The end.
1 STAR

Starring Aries, Debra, Tommy Davidson
Real Mother****ing News: Another Aries sketch taking the talk show of Dollarbill Montgomery and combining a news sketch. This wasn't bad but like the other skits, this drags on too long so sharpness is lost in the writing. The efforts of all were excellent and a good special guest.
3 STARS

Starring Michael, Ron, Stephnie, Mo, Debra, Simon
Alcohalism Family Support: This sketch was excellent. It proved that the cast this season, even the featured players have gelled together and can perform a great ensemble sketch. The writing was sharp and it didn't drag out. Top class.
5 STARS

Starring Mo or Jill-Michele?
New Years Resolution #3- Madonna: After two failing grade resolution sketches, we finally have a good one. Heck this was great! The impression was funny, the idea smart and it didn't drag.
4 STARS

Starring Mo
Jenny Jones- Old Episodes: I like Mo's impression. I like this parody of the show. However, this was paling in comparison to the first and third one (I missed the second) The joke was repeated too many times and was kinda dumb. There were a few good lines like the old topics Jenny Jones covered but that's all. i was a little dispointed.
2 STARS

Starring Michael, Debra, Taran, Stephnie, Will, Frank, Jill-Michele, Bobby
ENCORE- 70's Health Film Strip: I was a little disapointing to see an Encore but considering they've been rare this season, I totally didn't mind. And a good choice too. The only reason this wasn't funny was of the season 7 writing problems and it wasn't as good as the 1950's ones. But I still found it a very funny although it did think it was more clever than it could have been. Overall good sketch.
3 STARS

Queens of the Stone Age Performance #1

Queens of the Stone Age Performance #2/ Closing

OVERALL: Very disjointed episode. It started with 7 sketches for the first half. Then the second half went downhill with a not so hot Jenny Jones sketch and an Encore (a good choice at least) and to top it off, 2 musical performances. For the most part sketches were okay and good. The Alcohal one was the only excellent one with Oprah and Madonna just behind. The efforts of the cast were for the most part great but some writing flaws were evident (John Madden, which copied SNL) and a disapointing Jenny Jones sketch. We had a good guest star (In Living Color's Tommy Davidson) and great featured player performances. But 1/2 of the show only was new (good) material which was weighed down by the final four acts (the Encore wasn't bad except with that and two music shows, come on)
6/10

Last edited by Mad Dog; 01/23/2003 at 9:52 AM.

Old 01/21/2003, 2:57 PM

I was thinking that was Jill.. but you know, the MJ in there was almost as tall as Josh. Josh is very tall, Jill is quite short. And this MJ is much too thin to be Aries. I think that maybe it was an extra, but I dunno, still coulda been Jill.

Old 01/21/2003, 1:56 PM
I'm Content With Losing

Speaking of Michael Jackson, Jill did an impression in the "Like I Am You" video, but no one noticed. Nice job makeup department on that one

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream Iím in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As weíre laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november

Old 01/21/2003, 3:45 AM
Get down tonight!

Don't forget the likes of Celine Dion and HIllary Clinton, although that only kind of counts as Nicole keep buggering off for lengthy amounts of time.

Old 01/20/2003, 9:54 PM
26/07/16!!

Quote:
Plus, it's just rare to have a cast member replace a recurring impression by a cast member that's still on the show. I don't think it's ever happened, actually.
I think i remember Aries doing a Michael Jackson impression sometime after Phil left, but of course a cast member trying to replace a former cast members impression of someone is never the same.

Old 01/20/2003, 6:53 PM

I'm not so sure Mad Dog. I think with camera angles they had her look shorter, because Madonna is actually pretty short, and they did such a terrible job making Mo look like Madonna in #602, so they tried harder. Her voice is very Mo-ish. And it looks like Mo. They can add "fatter" cheeks, look at Debra and Aries in Reality Check lol.
Plus, it's just rare to have a cast member replace a recurring impression by a cast member that's still on the show. I don't think it's ever happened, actually.

Old 01/20/2003, 3:01 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Um, wow maybe the makeup department did way too good a job on Madonna considering Mo wasn't the one playing her. Jill-Michele Melean did. Notice the shortness, big boobs, fatter cheeks, slightly different voice from Mo's. Shame to you all, you've been tricked!
Are you serious!?!? I had NO idea that was Jill. I guess I just assumed that since Mo was Madonna before, it was Mo again. Wow, weird.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson

Old 01/20/2003, 2:56 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Um, wow maybe the makeup department did way too good a job on Madonna considering Mo wasn't the one playing her. Jill-Michele Melean did. Notice the shortness, big boobs, fatter cheeks, slightly different voice from Mo's. Shame to you all, you've been tricked!

Old 01/20/2003, 6:43 AM

Well, I do agree with you on a lot of things, Cat.

First of all, this DEFINITELY felt like a season seven show, although it was better than a big bulk of the shows from then.

This was DEFINITELY one of the weakest ones this season. Not the worst, that would be #806, but it's probably third- or fourth- worst. It just doesn't match up to the first five episodes and #808-809. I've said it many times before, but they're starting to become unfocused again.

I'm beginning to wonder myself if Bobby has left as well, maybe Jill coaxed him to leave because of the race thing. But I'm sure he would at least still have tapes of sketches left, a lot more than Jill. I actually think Bobby has done better roles this season than last, but I agree with you that they give Jill better roles last season in her two episodes than they're letting her this season. Damn producers..

When I say that everything constitutes a "good", I mean where it's just breaking my likeness. None of the sketches were great, except the Alcoholism one and kinda the Jenny Jones one.

The Shaq impression indeed blows chunks.

The writing here is some of the weakest of the season.

The Oprah sketch was indeed far-fetched. The whole vagina thing.. come on! It still got me to laugh, but I thought on the whole the Oprah sketch was cheap laughs, and just didn't compared to the Oprah and Phil sketches in #802 and #806, and great ones in season seven (#707, #716, etc.)

A lot of the humor around the Real Mofo Talk segments is indeed the excessive language, and I agree that it just isn't funny. That was the central humor of season seven's installments of this, but it wasn't in #804, there were actually a lot of non-curse lines in it, and that's what made it excellent. But they kinda went back to the old mode, and it just didn't compare AT ALL to its installment in #804.

The Jenny Jones sketch this episode was definitely the weakest of all Jenny Jones segments.

BTW, I understand what you're saying about the musical guests, but I think they should just try to utilize them in SKETCH COMEDY, considering that "MadTV" is a sketch comedy show. Unfortunately, that's a downfall for season eight.. they don't utilize their guest stars this season like they used to with, like, Susan Sarandon.

Old 01/20/2003, 12:42 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Why don't they realize that people don't give a FLYING ÉUCK about some band's performances in a damn SKETCH COMEDY SHOW?!?!
Actually, I think it is necessary. It draws a lot of attention to the show from fans who otherwise would never even think to watch MADtv. I know for instance, I'm a big fan of No Doubt. If they are playing live on a show, I watch it, even if it's a show I normally don't watch. So, if a fan of Queens of the Stone Age decided to watch MADtv this week just for the band and ended up liking the show, then they gained an audience member. Get what I'm saying?

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson

Old 01/19/2003, 11:22 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

I missed this episode... But it's scary to think that ANY show in season eight could be a 3/10. It's almost like deja vu from season seven.

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Reality Check: Dreamin' of Denzel Washington...

(my favorite Reality Check sketch)

Old 01/19/2003, 10:40 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I'm going to have to disagree with Ian. I thought this episode was pure crap. I would say this was by far the worst of the season. And yes, I will give reasons.

Scrabble's 50th Anniversary - This one remided me of the skit where Aries played all of the Klumps having dinner in season 4. I normally don't think he's that multi-talented, but this skit shows that he can do a number of impressions quite well. Although it was poorly written, the impressions were excellent.

Celebrity New Year's Resolution #1: Frank's John Madden impression was good, but the skit was stupid. It was slightly amusing that he was drawing boobs, but not enough to get even a chuckle out of me.

Oprah: Cash Giveaway - Debra does a great Oprah, but this was another bad skit. It started out fine, but the writing was SO horrible. For instance, "Look, my butthole is an ATM!" Um...and I was supposed to laugh at that? Also, some of the things that Debra did just seemed way too far-fetched to be Oprah. You know what I mean? It's okay to exaggerate flaws in a person, but when she punched a guy and then began making out with another guy backstage, it just seemed like they were desparate for jokes.

Celebrity New Year's Resolution: Shaquille O'Neal - Aries can't do a Shaq impression well, so STOP recurring it! Badly written and he didn't even sound or act anything like the real Shaq. This is one impression Aries cannot do well and was a dissapointment after a strong opening segment from him.

Real Mother****ing Talk: News - The addition of Tommy Davidson as "Woogie Jones Johnson" and Debra Wilson as "Nautica Brown" was good. I'm not a big fan of these "Real Mother****ing Talk" sketches to begin with. I felt like most of the sketch was just repeating the word bitch back and forth without a whole lot of content. That's kind of how I feel with these sketches in general, just a bunch of cuss words being shouted back and forth. And I have no problem with any of the words, it's just that the skit is based on it and it never strikes me as funny. Maybe it's just me, I dunno. The performances were strong but the material, once again, was not.

Alcoholic Support - Probably the best sketch of the night. It reminded me of something that MADtv would have done in an earlier season, which was nice, and it was also one of the only skits not dealing with celebrity impressions. Good, solid performances by all cast members involved (Michael, Mo, Stephnie, Debra, Ron, Simon) and for once in the episode, some good, solid writing to work off of. I wouldn't say it was hillarious, but it had a good premise. It was funny at the end when the family, after forcing him to drink because they had put in so much effort, flipped out and Stephnie started reading the poem she wrote. By far the strongest skit of the episode.

Celebrity New Year's Resolution: Madonna - I love Mo's Madonna impression and I'm glad they brought her back. Cute, short segment where Madonna decides not to do any more movies. And the crowd goes wild! It was great and she looked very much like her. They even got the gaps in her teeth right.

Jenny Jones Show: Clips - Probably the worst Jenny Jones segment yet on MADtv. It was a good idea, going back to different time periods. But, they just repeated the same lines over and over in different ways. I think the writers got lazy here, there is practically no script! "Well, any day we're still on the air is a good day" and "let's go to a clip" were just repeated in every time period they went to. This would have been funny if they just showed some dialogue or guests or something from all of the different years. But, there was nothing. It was funny to see that her name was "Jenebelle Jones" and the part where they mention the armor being too short. Good performance, but mostly too repeditive.

MADtv ENCORE - V.D. What a Drag (#722) - I'm not even going to talk about this one. It was just another excuse to fit Jill and Bobby into the episode since Bobby was absent and Jill was basically just an extra in one other sketch. It was originally a funny sketch but, if MAD wants to air Encores they should air skits from earlier episodes than this. I thought they had stopped, but they are bringing them back again! I hope this is just a one time thing. But, now that they are trying to cover up Jill's dissapearance maybe they will air more.

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE - Didn't watch it, although Queens of the Stone Age aren't bad. I think we had flipped it to SNL at that point, which was actually better than anything on MADtv last night. And I think this is the first time I have ever said that.

CLOSE: MUSICAL PERFORMANCE - Queens of the Stone Age - An encore and 2 musical performances? AAAAAGGGGGHHHH! Damn them! They are too lazy to write some good, new material! This is what we get after waiting a month for a new episode?

Overall - There was about 20 minutes of new material, if you cut out commercials, encores, and musical performances. And it was for the most part, horrible. This is my pick for the worst episode of the season. Nothing was great, there were a few horrible sketches, plus our first Encore of the season and two musical performances. Almost all of the new material was celebrity related. Considering many of the celebrity impressions were bad, I almost longed for overused reccurring sketches that used to annoy me. Give me some Miss Swan or Stuart any day before an entire episode of pop culture parodies. Jill Michelle Melean and Bobby Lee were basically absent from this episode. Who knows, maybe Bobby left with Jill. Neither of them had any good material this season anyway. Their best stuff was in Season 7 as featured cast members. I think the Encore was just MADtv's way of incorporating them into the episode so that they could still use them in the opening credits. I'll give this a 3/10.

Old 01/19/2003, 10:24 AM

Scrabble's 50th Anniversary - Little Richard (Aries Spears) is in a commercial, promoting the 50th anniversary of the Scrabble game. Then, he plays the game with Bill Cosby, Evander Holyfield, and Don King, which are all played by Aries. I don't know why Aries has tons of sketches that showcases so many of his impressions simultaneously this season (#806's Spears on Sports, #809's Lords of the Bling, now this). Usually, Aries isn't that great of an impressionist, but the Bill Cosby impression is excellent, one of my favorite impressions this season; the Little Richard impression is also quite good, the Don King and Evander Holyfield ones are okay. This is definitely the best of Aries's multi-impressions sketches, probably because that horrible Shaq impression isn't used. It's actually a higher point of this episode. The premise here was pretty weird, but overall it was a good sketch. The Bill Cosby impression is very funny, and the parts with Little Richard spelling out words ("lop-dop-doo", "whoooooo") made me laugh a lot too. Good sketch, overall, but definitely not the best opener segment of the season.
/5

Celebrity New Year's Resolution #1: John Madden - In the first installment of the Celebrity New Year's Resolution segment, John Madden (Frank Caliendo) promises to stop drawing on that TV thing that he always draws on to give opinions on plays. As he's saying this, he's drawing ways that he'll stop doing it. There have been better Madden sketches (my favorite so far being the Popcorn one in #805), but this was still good. And the part with him drawing the naked women was pretty funny.
/5

Oprah: Cash Giveaway - Oprah (Debra Wilson) is having a cash giveaway on her show, as part of her Angel Network. She starts off by having a woman, Enid Traylor (Mo Collins) read off her story, and when she says that Oprah is so much to her, that she calls her "MY Oprah", then Oprah gives her $10K. Another woman, Melanie Herbstron (Stephnie Weir), comes on, and tells her sad story, but says her "faith" let her get through it. Because she said her faith was in God, not Oprah, Oprah doesn't give her any cash. Another woman, Sheila (Jill-Michele Melean), comes on, but Oprah "just doesn't feel this one", and tells her to sit down right away. She gives money to random people, and promises to give some to two old ladies if they fight there on the spot. Then, an underwear model comes on, strips, and Oprah tells him he can get the watch if he gets it out of her vagina. Finally, someone pulls Oprah's finger, and a huge burst of money erupts out of her ass. I still love the Oprah impression and find it to be very funny, but, like Madden, there have been MUCH better Oprah sketches. It was very uneven with good and bad things, and overall the things combined turned out an okay sketch. Certain parts, like when Enid was lip-syncing her story behind the curtain, were very funny. But this was still really weird, and the writing is lacking. But, again, overall this was okay, not awesome though.
/5

Celebrity New Year's Resolution: Shaquille O'Neal - Shaq (Aries) makes dumb resolutions like quitting rapping and smiling twice a year. I still really dislike this impression, I find it to be the worst of the season actually, and I think it's already overused. His voice still droned on, but it wasn't as bad. This is actually probably the best Shaq sketch so far. I expected this to be horrible, but there were actually some funny lines here. So that makes it pretty good, although the weakest of the Resolution sketches.
/5

Real MotherÉucking Talk: News - Dollarbill Montgomery (Aries) now has a news show. His guest co-hosts are Nautica Brown (Debra) and Woogie Jones Johnson (guest star Tommy Davidson from "In Living Color"). They discuss North Korea, a huge tax cut, the whole Clonaid/Raelin cloned baby issue, and who will win the Stanley Hockey Cup. This segment wasn't anywhere as good as the excellent Real Mofo Talk sketch in #804, but this was still okay, and still better than its bad season seven segments. Aries and Debra were both subpar in this one, but Tommy Davidson was very good; his experience in sketch comedy really shows here. I found the part where they were trying to talk about the Stanley Cup to be very funny, but other than that, nothing is hilarious. It ran a little too long, the awesome interaction in the #804 sketch is gone here, and there aren't as many clever lines. Still, the Stanley Cup part was very funny, and I really enjoyed Tommy Davidson. Like the Oprah sketch, the good and the bad pretty much equaled here, making for an overall okay sketch.
/5

Alcoholic Support - A man (Michael McDonald) arrives at home to find his whole family (Mo, Stephnie, Ron Pederson, and Simon Helberg) sitting there with a substance abuse conselor (Debra). They say that they're there to discuss his alcoholism; but he reveals that he's been succesfully taking part in a 12-step substance abuse program, and hasn't had a drink in weeks. The whole family flips out, because they put in so much effort, planning, and money into this meeting. They get mad, and they encourage him to start drinking again so that they can go ahead with it as planned. This was definitely the best sketch of the night. Great performances from all, and it's a nice ensemble sketch. Overall, an excellent sketch and it shows that "MadTV" can still excel when it comes to writing when they try.
/5

Celebrity New Year's Resolution: Madonna - Madonna (Mo) promises that she will stop making films. It then shows huge crowds from the biggest political events in history with wild applause. This was by far the best of the Resolution sketches; the impression is very good and the makeup department did a good job making Mo look like Mo (one of Madonna's nicknames heh), much better than the impression of the "Movies" music video in episode #602, which although was still a good sketch overall, the impression wasn't good and the makeup department did a terrible job. Short, sweet, excellent segment.
/5

Jenny Jones Show: Clips - Jenny Jones (Mo) starts off the show by showing a clip from last week's show, which shows a clip from the show in 1999, which shows a clip from 1967, so on and so forth from 1865, 1332, the gladiator days, to caveman days, to the big bang, where she tries to show an earlier clip, but it isn't possible because it's the very beginning of time. This was basically a one-joke sketch, but it was still a great one. The impression is still very good. It went on kind of long, but seeing all the transformations of Jenny was very funny. And the topics from older times were funny too (1332: "a mother who thinks her daughter's armor is too revealing", gladiator days: "a mother who thinks her daughter has been spending too much time in the vomitorium", etc.) Overall, this was quite a good sketch, although it's weaker than past Jenny Jones segments.
/5

MADtv ENCORE - V.D. What a Drag (#722) - NO!!! That was one thing that I was impressed with season eight, not reairing sketches!!! This better damn be a rare case for the season. But regardless, this was a very good choice to reair; it's one of my favorite season seven parodies, actually. A parody of the Joe Namath's Young Body Films in the mid-70s; special guest appearances by Will Sasso, Jill, and Taran Killam, who are no longer on the show, and Bobby Lee, who is absent from all the new material in this episode. It spoofs how they always had horrible acting and editing. He starts off by asking various kids (Frank, Jill, Bobby Lee) what they think are the causes of VD, and they say ridiculous stuff like "from hookers and doorknobs", "from drinking cups and water fountains", and "nice kids don't get VD!" He says they're all correct. He then asks a doctor (Debra), "who is a wonderful lover", about the side effects of VD, and because of the horrible editing, her dialogue gets chopped up and she says things like "will cut off the penis" and "your vagina will fly away". Joe then says that if you have VD, your parents will not be calm; he then shows a skit in which a guy (Taran Killam) tells his parents (Will Sasso and Stephnie) that he has VD, and they react very calmly, "I'll get the penicillin". Then Joe says that your parents will probably react very angrily; so he shows a sketch in which the guy tells his parents, and they have a fit, "I'm going to kill myself!" So he says it's better to not tell your parents at all. Superb performances from everyone, even including Will, which was very rare for him in seasons six and seven, mainly because he didn't end up screaming like he always did; Michael, Taran, and Stephnie are especially good here. Even though I'm massively disappointed to see an Encore, this was just an awesome sketch, and a very accurate parody of those filmstrips, one of the best parodies from season seven. Better than all of the new material in this episode, actually.
/5

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE - Queens of the Stone Age - Although I'm even more disappointed to see an Encore AND musical performance, I actually enjoyed this. I expected this to be really bad, but this is probably the third-best performance of the season, behind Shaggy in #805 and Sum41 in #808. It's a very catchy little song, and I thought the bassist and guitarist were very talented. I think it ran a little long though, but still quite enjoyable.

CLOSE: MUSICAL PERFORMANCE - Queens of the Stone Age - GODDAMMIT, I just KNEW they were going to do this. Even when the Strokes performed twice in #806, they still had a closing segment. The improved closings was something I was really glad with season eight about too. But they didn't even have that here. Still, this was okay, not as good as the first, but still watchable. Usually when there's two musical performances, they're terrible (i.e. TenaciousD and Strokes), but at least that wasn't the case here.

Overall - This episode is the most solid of the season so far. Every sketch was okay, but nothing was excellent except for the Alcoholism sketch and the Madonna one, but that was less than a minute long; the Jenny Jones one was quite good, and the rest were just okay. Even the Shaq one was okay. But, like I said before, the episode wasn't filled to the brim with some really standout pieces, like #802 or #808 (although not a single one was bad or even close to it). So that knocks it down to a 8/10 so far. Mo, Aries, and Debra dominated the episode (it's pretty typical for Debra to dominate an episode this season, which is good), whereas Frank, Michael, Jill got only one sketch (Jill's was only a few seconds long), if you don't include the Encore (Jill's and Bobby's roles was still very very minute there though), and Stephnie only briefly appeared twice, which is disappointing. Jill is back in this episode, but I'm really disappointed in how the show has handled her; at this point though, I'm glad to see her in any role. Bobby was completely absent in the material for the second episode in a row, which is disappointing because he has really improved as the season has gone on. Josh wasn't in this episode again, and the show isn't as good without him; he's either a tiny role or none at all on the show in the past five episodes, which is disappointing because he was really impressive in the first six. Ike obviously wasn't here either then, but I'm not very fond of him, although his roles in #807-809 were surprisingly much better than most of his other work in earlier episodes. There were only eight new sketches here, three of them being very short, leaving only five regular-length sketch. I was HUGELY disappointed to see not only an Encore here, but TWO musical performances!! It's been almost a month since a new episode, could they really only come up with this little new material? Why don't they realize that people don't give a FLYING ÉUCK about some band's performances in a damn SKETCH COMEDY SHOW?!?! Let alone two of them! At the start of season eight, you could tell that the show was focused on improving, and they gave five stellar episodes. But the episodes following (except #808 and #809) were quite inferior, and I think it's because they're not focused as much, because they think they've solved all the problems and can start getting lazy again. Overall, nothing here bombed or was even not very good, but most were only okay sketches; although we got an excellent one and two quite good ones. And the episode was horribly structured, but it was very solid. Okay sketches, okay episode.

/10

Last edited by koolboee cdmo87; 01/29/2003 at 6:06 AM.

Old 01/19/2003, 12:15 AM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

It was an ok episode I guess. I think it was the first time this season they used a "MADtv Encore". It was a sketch from Season 7 but I forgot what it was, heh. Will Sasso was in it. Jill was also in this episode, so its actually cool that they will show the ones they already taped that she's in.

Old 01/18/2003, 9:17 PM
I'm Content With Losing

Liking what I'm seeing.

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream Iím in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As weíre laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november