Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 8 (2002-2003)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/02/2003, 8:03 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by MADMADMAD
BTW, HiVolt, nice avatar. It's from the "Kenny Rogers and Pappy" sketch from season four, isn't it? :p
Yep, indeed. I needed a change, and needed something funny.. Kenny always cracked me up....

Old 02/02/2003, 8:06 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by HiVolt

Yep, indeed. I needed a change, and needed something funny.. Kenny always cracked me up....
Same with me... Hehe... That sketch was pretty hilarious... The impression was far from accurate, but as long as you treat him as a recurring character, there's no problem with that.

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Reality Check: Dreamin' of Denzel Washington...

(my favorite Reality Check sketch)
Old 02/03/2003, 6:03 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
I thought Christina was great last night! She has great acting skills, looks very versitile and i loved the way she acted like Sandra Bullock in the beginning.
Um...I don't remember Sandra Bullock appearing in this episode. When did this happen?

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 02/03/2003, 7:38 AM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Was I just seeing things or did they show a promo for next week's episode with Marvin Tikvah and Fightin' Ron in the same sketch together?

As for the episode, I didn't think it was nearly as good as some of the past ones. But most sketches had their moments, like the Dating Game one. I was pretty let down by the Kylie sketch and feuding neighbors thing.

I did really like the Trading Spaces sketch though, LOL! The Hooked on Phonics and Connie Chung sketch were good too.

But between the encore (even though it was funny), the musical performance, and the Kylie/neighbors sketches, the overall episode didn't do much for me. That last half hour was pretty dull. Oh well, there's always next week.

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 02/03/2003, 12:40 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
i loved the way she acted like Sandra Bullock
I never said she looks like Sandra Bullock.

Old 02/04/2003, 5:15 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Okay, I just saw the two sketches I missed. Martin, thanks so much again for the vidcaps, that was so nice of you. I'll ask you to delete them in maybe an hour or so, because my mom and sister need to see them (they watch the show as well). I'll let you know when I'm done with them, which is to say very soon. You were very prompt in giving those to me, thanks, and sorry I wasn't able to see them sooner (busy)

As for my opinions..

The Phonics one was pretty good. Funny premise, and Stephnie put in a great performance as usual, and the video game sequence was funny. But yet again the show the writers thought they were being REALLY cutting-edge and sharp, when they honestly weren't being THAT funny. Not to say it was bad though, it was quite good.

The Dating Game.. the performances were exceptional, especially Ron's Hussein impressions and Stephnie's reactions, but the writing really wasn't. More lame season-seven-like terrorism satire. The performances were definitely there, the writing wasn't. Okay, overall.

I will post a full review tomorrow.
Old 02/04/2003, 5:44 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

No prob, glad I could help...

Old 02/05/2003, 4:50 PM

I'll get started.. I know my sketches are slightly out of order, please correct me.. I'm going to add the star graphics later.

Hooked on Phonics Video Game - A woman (Stephnie Weir) is frustrated with her son, who doesn't know how to read or write, and he only likes to play really violent video games. So she gets the Hooked on Phonics video game, where you bloodily mutilate people with big words on them. This had a funny premise, and Stephnie did a great job as always, and the extra playing the kid also did a surprisingly good job. The writers thought they were being smarter than they really were, that really shined through. Still, overall, this was quite a good sketch.
4/5

The Dating Game - A beach bum (Ike Barinholtz), Saddam Hussein (Ron Pederson), and Kim Jong Il of North Korea (Bobby Lee) are all bachelors on "The Dating Game", with a girl asking the questions (Stephnie). Josh Meyers plays the host, Chuck Woolerey. Obviously, there was a lot of terrorism material here. All the performances here were very good - Josh actually does a better impression of Woolerey than Pat Kilbane, Ike nailed the part of a typical beach bum, Ron's impression was amazing, Bobby's impression was very funny, and Stephnie was her usual great self. But the writing pretty much sucked, it was season six and seven quality. They were pretty succesful in the way of satirizing how the questioner acts (like "oooh kinky" and "sounds like a par-tay!"), but the terrorism was incredibly lame as it usually turns out to be, particularly when it came to Hussein's lines. Still, despite the horrible terrorism writing, all the performances were very good here and a few lines (particularly Stephnie's) got me to laugh, so overall it was a watchable sketch.
3/5

Music Video Parody: "Love Me Better" by LL Cool J - LL Cool J (Aries Spears) raps about how he'll take steroids for better love-making. Debra Wilson plays his mistress or something. Aries actually makes a fairly strong contribution here; his impression is still very generic as most of his are, but it actually got me to laugh. Overall, I expected this to be terrible but it was, surprisingly, pretty good.
4/5

Bunifa: Trading Spaces - Bunifa (Debra) and a man (Michael McDonald) redecorate each others' rooms on the show "Trading Spaces". Frank Caliendo and Bobby Lee both appear as gay interior decoraters, and Mo Collins as Paige Davis, the host. Bunifa decorates the man's room just like hers, whereas the man nicely decorates Bunifa's room in a way most people would be content with, but obviously not Bunifa. Bunifa did the "oh my God" thing WAY too much at the end. Other than that though, this was awesome. The highlight of this sketch actually wasn't Bunifa, it was Mo's hilarious impression of the eccentric Paige. Frank was also quite funny, and Debra as well. Overall, an awesome sketch brought to life by Mo's impression.
5/5

Boys Gone Wild - A parody of the Girls Gone Wild video series, in which guys are the ones that flash their boobs, show their thongs, and make out, but it's still censored in the commercial. Aries, Ike, Josh, Bobby, and Ron Pederson all appear. This was very funny as well, the parodies here hit their targets VERY well. Excellent, overall.
5/5
Old 02/06/2003, 8:27 AM

Connie Chung Live: Joe Millionaire and The Bachelorette - Evan Marriot of "Joe Millionaire" (Ike) and Trista Rhae of "The Bachelorrete" (Christina Moore) guest star on Connie Chung's (Bobby) news program. Connie is clueless throughout, only really caring if they think she's pretty or not. Whenever they say something, she just automatically responds "thank you" or "I agree", no matter what they say. It took a little while for the premise to be clear, and it ran a little long, but otherwise it was good. Bobby in particular was hilarious ("isn't it ironic that your name is Joe Millionaire and you ARE a millionaire?"), but Ike and Christine made strong contributions as well. Overall, this was quite good.
4/5

Dr. Kylie: Colonoscopy - In this sketch, Dr. Kylie (Stephnie) gives a colonoscopy to a man (Paul Vogt). Frank appears as a nurse, and Bobby as a medical student. As usual, Kylie is so humored and casual about her procedure, and makes several hilarious remarks. At the end, a male stripper comes in because it's Kylie's birthday, and they take a picture with the butt camera. Several hilarious moments here, Kylie is so ridiculous, she's hilarious. Stephnie has really wittled the character to perfection, and this is only the third Kylie sketch. Frank and Bobby were also good, Frank in particular. Paul was his usual unspectacular self, but fortunately he was given very few lines and wasn't too annoying.
5/5

The Dispute - A couple (Michael and Mo) get in a fight with another couple (guest star Jamie Kennedy and Stephnie), and yell at each other with their video cameras over the others' Christmas decorations and big satellite dish. Finally the one couples' son says he'll shoot them if they don't stop fighting. This was awful. It started out funny with the criticism of the "Family Circus" cartoon, but after a few seconds it started going downhill really fast. The writing is rock bottom here, it's embarrasing to the show. What's even worse here is the performances. Mo was excellent, and provided the only laughs of the sketch. But Jamie Kennedy was really bad and annoying here; which is really disappointing because I like Jamie and think he is very funny and versatile, but that's not the case with this sketch. Michael is even worse here, the whole time he is overpompous and makes weird "angry" faces the whole time, and just has some really bad lines. Even Stephnie was bad here, and that's really saying something; this is the first performance she's given all season that's moderately flawed, although I think it was more the material she had to work with. Overall, terrible, terrible sketch with really bad performances (except Mo).
1/5

MADtv Encore - Lorraine: The Price is Right (#707) - Lorraine (Mo) appears on "The Price is Right", competing against a guy with a fetish for soldier uniforms (Taran Killam) and a woman whose top keeps falling off (Debra). Frank plays Rod Roddy, and Michael plays Bob Barker. Lorraine wins the bid, and the game she plays as well; throughout, she does various things including an Oompa-Loompa impression. This was just genius, I still can't believe that this was from season seven. Mo is superb, Frank's impression is dead-on, and Debra is downright hilarious; Taran and Michael were good too. This is also a very direct and excellent parody of the "Price is Right" show. Not only is this the best season seven sketch, it's the best Lorraine sketch, and possibly my favorite MADtv sketch ever. ƒucking brilliant, that's what it is.
5+/5

Musical Performance: Nelly - Nelly and seemingly 100 other rappers all perform. This was bad, they had way too many people rapping at once, and it got really annoying.
2/5

Close - Connie Chung Continued - Connie Chung (Bobby) is once again asking Evan (who she keeps calling "Joe") if he thinks she's pretty, and she exposes herself to him. This was pretty funny.
4/5
Old 02/06/2003, 8:41 AM

Overall - Like the last episode, this was uneven, and although it wasn't as good as the last one, it was still quite good. There was one terrible sketch, an okay sketch, and a bad musical performance. The rest ranged from quite good to excellent, even the Encore. Jill was absent, and I'm afraid that all of her remaining taped sketches have already been shown, which is disappointing. For once, Debra didn't dominate the episode; Stephnie and Bobby did. In my opinion, one cast member really shined in my eyes: Bobby. I initially didn't like him, but he's eventually proven to be quite funny. One also really stunk in this episode: Michael McDonald, who seems to be getting really stale. As far as new cast member Christine Moore goes, it's hard to judge because she only appeared once (briefly); the guest star, Jamie Kennedy, was disappointingly bad. Overall though, this was quite a good show. 8/10
Old 05/18/2004, 5:54 PM
26/07/16!!

Default Episode #813

Hooked on Phonics Video Game
This was great, a good performance by Stephnie. It was funny when she was trying to get her son to read books: "Oh look this book's so exciting and lots of people are dying.....".
3.5/5

The Dating Game: Terrorists
I found this to be good especially Stephnie's reactions to the comments by the contestants; like one part where Saddam talks about decapitation and Stephnie goes: "Oh decapitation how kinky" lol. Overall this was a good sketch with most of the humour coming from Stephnie, the two lead impressions were good as well as solid performances by Ike and Josh.
3/5

Music Video: LL Cool J “Love Me Better”
I didn't really find this very funny. I know LL Cool J was suddenly all "buff" when he released his last album but him taking drugs and stuff to do this didnt really get many laughs from me, and the part with him having horse parts was just stupid. At least it was short and Aries impression wasn't so bad.
2/5

Bunifa: Trading Spaces
This was very good, great performances especially by Mo and Debra in this. It was funny how Bunifa flipped out at the end over all the new stuff in her room (ducks?). Also the last line of the sketch was funny too, Paige: "Does she love it or hate it?" Guy (Frank): "I can't tell, but i'm going home to my wife" Paige: "Your wife?"
4/5

Boys Gone Wild
The various words they came up with in this were probably the funniest part ("Boy Boobs", "Guy Jugs", "Man Nips"), the sketch overall felt like there was something missing but it was still a good attempt.
3/5

Connie Chung Tonight: Joe Millionaire and The Bachelorette
Bobby was good as Connie Chung in this, as he is in most other "Connie" segments. Ike's impression was good if not entirely accurate, Christina Moore's first appearance wasn't very impressive with her not doing anything that memorable. It was funny how Connie thought Evan Marriot's real name was Joe Millionaire. The sketch itself probably could of been slightly shorter but it was decent nevertheless.
3/5

Dr. Kylie: Colonoscopy
Stephnie puts in another very good performance this episode. This was very funny with Dr Kylie being her usual joking self in the face of serious situations. Thumbs up!
3.5/5

Homeowners Dispute
Interesting that they decided to recur the same characters from season 7 with the exception of Will Sasso's character who was replaced by the guest star Jamie Kennedy. This sketch wasn't as good as it's season 7 counterpart they tried the same old jokes again ("piss yellow house", climbing over the fence), other than that it was ok.
2.5/5

Encore: The Price is Lorright (#707)
This Lorraine sketch is one of my favorites, very funny stuff. Lorraine blowing the leaf blower into Bob Barker's face is the funniest part with a special mention to Debra and Taran who were also good in their roles.
4/5

Musical Performance: Nelly “Airforce One”
Blah.
0/5

Close - Connie Chung
This was just nasty, i'm happy i wasn't Joe Millionaire in that sketch
3/5

Overall
A pretty strong episode, with all the sketches being very good(apart from two). Stephnie definitely stole the show in this episode with three great performances and one mediocre one, well done.
7.5/10

*All sketch names appear courtesy of Mysteres Episode Guide

Old 05/20/2004, 12:07 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Default episode #813

Hooked on Phonics Video Game: OK
3.5/5

The Dating Game: Awful. Good impression by Josh, terrible annoying impression by Ron.
1/5

Music Video: LL Cool J:Boring.
2/5

Bunifa: Trading Spaces Okay, not as great as some previous reviewers made out In my opinion. I am sick of Bunifa screaming and yelling and by the end of this sketch, I felt like throwing my remote at the TV screen. Least favourite Bunifa sketch ever, although everyone else was good.
3/5

Boys Gone Wild: This one was hilarious, my favourite sketch of the night, which gives me hope for Ike (who wrote this sketch apparently). I was impressed by him in this episode. 5/5

Connie Chung Tonight: Ike and Bobby were VERY funny in this sketch, Christina Moore was kinda just... there. She didn't add anything to this. But I still thought this sketch was very funny, although at some points Connie's "clueless" opinions just seemed like lame attempts at funny jokes on the writers side. The closing was hilarious too.
4/5

Dr. Kylie: Colonoscopy This was okay, I was a little disappointed I guess, but I had seen this one before as a sketch of the week, so my opinion was probably somewhat lower. Still funny.
3.5/5

Homeowners Dispute: This was okay I guess, but what a horrible waste of such a talented guest star.
2.5/5

Encore: The Price is Lorright this was okay, not one of the "best sketches ever" by any standards IMO.
4/5

Musical Performance: Nelly "Airforce One"Crap.
0/5

Close - Connie ChungHilarious.
4/5

I guess this episode was alright, however my general interest in the show is waning at the moment, because nothing jumps out... it's all been pretty mediocre for the last few weeks IMO. 5/10

Old 05/20/2004, 11:09 AM
Totally F****able

LOL the only thing I liked about this ep was the Feuding Neighbors and Price Is Loright sektches............everything else pretty much sucked.