Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 9 (2003-2004)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01/11/2004, 2:20 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Thank you Hivolt for posting the episode online. It takes about 10 hours to download for me to watch the entire thing (Dial Up ) , but I am EXTREMELY grateful because this is the only way I get to see the episode. Who knows when Mad TV will screen here again in New Zealand. Thank you once again Hivolt! I really do appreciate it!

Old 01/11/2004, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jIM_cOCKHURTz
Someone (Rockstar?) told us that at the beginning of the live taping, they roll the credits, and they applaud the cast when their photo/ name comes up. What I want to know, is if at last nights taping, Mo was included in the cast. I thought that once she had left the show and stopped filming sketches, they wouldn't include her, but I guess they will keep showing her till all her sketches have aired on TV (Which will probably be at the end of the season )
Yeah, Mo's name was on the credits last night. You're probably right,she'll still be part of the credits until all of her sketches are done

Old 01/11/2004, 2:39 AM
UC Davis Aggie Alumnus

Neverland Ranch: I liked the song that they parodied here, so I found this enjoyable. If they were going to target Michael Jackson, I'd perfer the more recent event of how he claims that the cops thatarrested him were giving him bad treatment such as handcuffing too tight, or putting him in a cell w/ feces smeared on the walls. Nevertheless, I liked this sketch. 4.5/5

Text Messaging: This is one I can relate to. I hate predictive text on cell phones, and I hate text messaging all together. Both Aries and Melissa were great here. Best of all, it didn't drag and didn't run the point to the ground. 5/5

The Simpler Life: This was pretty good in the fact that Saddam got tired of Nicole Richie talking and was revealing his location to the US. Nicole Richie was pretty good here. 4/5

Missing Film Strip: I seem to like sketches were they go back in time. This one was really funny since they showed the parents doing all the bad stuff, while the kids just watch and were shocked about their parents' actions. 5/5

OnStar (Britney Spears): LOL. I'm glad that they did a sketch about Britney's so called wedding. It was funny b/c at my work, we were talking about why Britney got married, and all the ideas we mentioned were addressed. For instance she was drunk and got hammered and married. This one sketch is one I gotta show my co-workers. 4/5

Drama Queen's Dinner Theatre: It's great to see Drama Queen back. I like the situations which Dorothy is put in. This one was better than others, because it showed cast interaction a lot better, especially Nicole. Great props (cardboard box=someone's house). 4.5/5

Celebrity Injustice: I found Paul a bit annoying in this one, but they do that in the real show too after each event flashes by. Aries as the announcer was good too. The events seem to be recent enough and makes me wonder how recently they shot this, especially since the landing in Mars was the most recent this that happened and that was fairly recent. 4/5

Flu Sex: Are they supposed to be the same couple that did the bad habits sketch last season, b/c I found it interesting the Michael's character was named Brian (again). Anyways, this was funny in the fact that Michael was horny and would indirectly do acts toward sex, like rubbing her back (butt). 4.5/5

Snow White Audition: I found this funny b/c my co-worker is a seasonal worker at Disneyland and we were talking about her job recently. Anyways, Nicole being Snow White was funny and how she acted like her and even dressed like her. Aries playing the 'colorized' Snow White was funny too. This was my favorite sketch of the night. Also, Snow White reminds me of Trina before Trina got weird. As for what my co-worker and I were talking about, she was saying how in the break room it was funny to see some of the characters talking to each other while in costume and she said that one time she saw Pocahontas talking to Dopey, Donald Duck and Goofy. 5/5

Dot On Oprah: I saw the encore sign on this one, but it happened to be on the lower-left hand corner, which I almost didn't saw, but I caught it while I was getting a slice of pizza out of my plate. Anyways, this was one of my favorite Dot sketches, except for the fact that this originally aired when Alex was gone already, so it kinda made me sad. As mentioned by other people before, this was aired to fill the void of Mo's absenece. Great to see Debra. 3.5/5

The Simpler Life Closing: Saddam trying to take advantage of Nicole Richie was interesting. This was a decent closing, but I didn't find it that funny. 3.5/5

I'm glad that Nicole Richie wasn't a waste. I think this episode did very well considering that there was no Ron, Bobby and Ike. I'm not saying that the show can't do w/o these three, but I'm really glad that they are finding a balance of male and female appearances. This has to be my favorite episode in a while this season, considering the last episode I liked so much was the 200th. After my calculation, I got an 8.6/10, but I'm willing to round up to 9/10, only b/c IMO, nothing really bombed.

Bunifa: Yo, Yo, Yo. Who you callin' a bitch? Do I look like yo momma?
Old 01/11/2004, 2:54 AM
Mr. Egoist

All right, this is my first time at bat when it comes to MADtv episode reviews, and since I was on the phone during the opening and juggling between it and SNL... *Dodges tomatos*... during the second half, but I think I got a very good idea of everything this time around...

Neverland Ranch - Can you say predictable and dated? The Chingy stuff was sort of funny, but oi. I miss Phil LaMarr's Michael Jackson, really, I do.

Text Messaging- The joke's been done before but it's still a good one. Thumbs leaning up.

The Simpler Life - Very, very good. This actually blew SNL's take on Saddam's capture out of the water as they just decided to put Jimmy Fallon and Horatio Sanz in a ten minute sketch and watch as they giggle and blow every line. Nicole Ritchie was surprisingly great here, far better than Paris on SNL, and Michael did an amusing Saddam, even if it's just the Depressed Persian Tow Truck Guy with a bigger beard.

OnStar (Britney Spears) - Eh. This time SNL wins in terms of handling the Britney/Jason Alexander marriage. This was kind of funny but just felt rushed and weak.

Flu Sex- Bah. This just didn't work. It felt more like I was watching a third-rate romantic comedy sitcom than anything else.

Snow White Audition- I'm not even going to bother, as I was admittedly focused on SNL for some ungodly reason (I believe they were airing the stupid paparazzi skit here), and all I really saw was the last thirty seconds, but it was an awesome thirty seconds so it gets a thumbs up from me.

Celebrity Injustice- Ouch, h-a-r-s-h. But funny. Hilariously cruel, this was a winner from start to finish.

Drama Dinner Theatre- Uh-huh. See, it was funny when Jon Lovitz was the Master Thespian. But now? Uhhhhhh, NO. Molly Shannon tried it, it sucked. Now you guys're doing it, and guess what? It sucked. Sketch comedy, LET IT GO! It's lightning in a bottle! It worked once, it's not gonna work again! So, yeah, this was bad.

Missing Film Strip- Hnn. I'm on the fence here. It wasn't BAD, but it wasn't overly good either. Ah, well. Thumbs in the middle.

Dot On Oprah- Bravo, bravo, encore, encore, oi. "See? Mo's on this show! Honest!"

The Simpler Life Closing- Solid closing, which was to be expected considering how good the Simpler Life sketch was.

Overall - Disjointed and bizarre, this episode reeked of wasted talent and fallout from Mo leaving. Her departure has left MadTV with only one recognizable woman on the cast in Stephanie Weir, who simply cannot carry the fairer sex's role on the show on her own. Bobby Lee was absolutely nowhere to be found, despite the fact that he's one of the best they have. No matter how overexposed Connie Chung is, at least it gets him on TV and it's still pretty funny. There were good sketches; Simpler Life, Celebrity Injustice, Snow White, and the text messaging commercial were all funny. However, the bad outweighed the good and so the show ended up only mediocre. 6/10.
Old 01/11/2004, 3:28 AM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

I really enjoyed your review GoGo Yubari! I hope you're here to stay.

Quote:
Originally posted by MADtv Watcher Flu Sex: Are they supposed to be the same couple that did the bad habits sketch last season, b/c I found it interesting the Michael's character was named Brian (again).[/B]
I didn't find any "Michael's character was named Brian" from season 8. Exactly what episode was that?

Old 01/11/2004, 3:41 AM
Mr. Egoist

Thank you. I'll definitely try to do more as my schedule and location permits. Now that I'm looking at MADtv more and getting an idea of what the show's like and how it's done, it's actually quite different and interesting. Of course, they do have the same problems that SNL frequently has, and that is in terms of building up new stars to replace the old. Some of the women, featured players all whose names I haven't really learned yet, have quite a bit of talent and would do quite well for themselves once they get some signature characters and time to shine. However, SNL's learned from past mistakes, and when watching, it's incredibly easy to identify the cast members (with the exceptions of a couple of the newer guys like Will Forte and Fred Armisen) and enjoy them, and that's what MADtv needs to focus on. Michael, Aries, and Stephanie won't be around forever, and while those three, as the three remaining major cast members, should be in the spotlight, it shouldn't be theirs and theirs alone. But, of course, I'm just now getting serious about watching and following MADtv, so maybe my opinion's a bit skewed.

Anyone still reading after all that?
Old 01/11/2004, 3:49 AM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by GoGo Yubari Anyone still reading after all that? [/B]
I'm with you, but that's probably cuz I'm the one up the latest on sat nights. I sometimes have a hard time telling the difference with all the featured blondes on the show nowadays. lol.

Old 01/11/2004, 7:15 AM
WHERE'S MY BROTHER?!

Quote:
Originally posted by MADtv Watcher
[B]I'm glad that Nicole Richie wasn't a waste. I think this episode did very well considering that there was no Ron, Bobby and Ike.
yeah, where were they?

Cake. It comes in flavors like chocolate and regular.
Cake. DON'T FORGET THE FROSTING.
Cake. Share it with a friend.
[/color]

Old 01/11/2004, 7:27 AM
Regular

wow yeah.. half the cast was gone.

but at least stephnie and frank got a damn break.. they havent been very prominant this season and its good to see them get good roles again.
Old 01/11/2004, 8:42 AM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystere
I didn't find any "Michael's character was named Brian" from season 8. Exactly what episode was that?
I think its the one where Michael just keeps doing some gross stuff, with his wife in bed getting ready to sleep. Pickin' his ass, farting, pissin' in the toilet with the door open, etc... I dont remember which one it was but it was definitely season 8. It seems like it was the same bedroom set if I can remember...

Old 01/11/2004, 8:44 AM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by jIM_cOCKHURTz
Thank you Hivolt for posting the episode online. It takes about 10 hours to download for me to watch the entire thing (Dial Up ) , but I am EXTREMELY grateful because this is the only way I get to see the episode. Who knows when Mad TV will screen here again in New Zealand. Thank you once again Hivolt! I really do appreciate it!
You're welcome dude. I know funny guy gets them too for the same reason, but he hasn't been around since new years...

Old 01/11/2004, 10:14 AM
Fresh Meat

I thought this was a solid, funny episode. I agree that Phil LaMarr was a much better Michael Jackson impersonator than Aries Spears, but the Neverland Ranch video parody was really funny and moved right along. I'm always pleased to see these music videos. MAD does them well, they look fantastic, and they're something that SNL rarely, if never does.

The Sprint text messaging: funny and nicely-paced. I hate text messaging, so it hit home for me.

The Simple Life with Nicole Ritchie and Saddam: not a bad little parody. Nicole was cute and funny, and I loved the way they had to hang out the entire time in Saddam's underground hole. I agree Michael was basically the tow truck driver character, but he's so funny that it worked for me.

The 1960's home movies of Stephnie smoking, drinking, etc. while pregnant: really well-done and again, great production values that SNL only rarely attempts. Stephnie is a comedy genius, and I noticed she wrote it. Very cool.

ONSTAR commercial - funny and short. I really like these shorter pieces that MAD is doing lately.

Michael McDonald trying to get sex while Stephnie is sick: okay; a little long and familiar terrirtory, but they both make me laugh so I went along with it. My least favorite skit of the night, but still passable.

Stephnie as the dramatic actress at the homeless shelter: I'm not usually crazy about this character, but she does it well. this was okay. (and by the way, i disagree that just because jon lotivz or whoever once did a dramatic guy that it's hands-off for the rest of the world. besides jon lotiz's Master Thespian on snl, there were overly dramatic actors on EVERY comedy show, i.e. sctv, kids in the hall, ben stiller, andy dick, and probably even milton berle so it's not exactly lightning in a bottle).

Celebrity Injustice: some great jokes about topical issues. The Ryan Seacrest jab was too true: how come that guy is working so much??? Nice to see MAD doing comedy topics that happened recently, i.e. mad cow disease, Mars landing, etc.

Dot on Oprah: good classic, and reminded me of how hilarious Debra Wilson's Oprah character was.

Saddam/Nicole Ritchie finish: really funny!

All in all, I've been really pleased with how this year is going. Shorter skits, smarter skits, some really well-shot stuff (like the home movies), and more topical issues. Good work, MAD!
Old 01/11/2004, 11:00 AM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

I liked this episode, even if Danielle was missing...
And I take back what I siad about Melissa, She can be very pretty (in regular clothes)
Is it just me or do we have a lot more SNL fans here than usual... Comedy Central is workin its magic!

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 01/11/2004, 11:20 AM
I'm Content With Losing

Quote:
Originally posted by HiVolt

I think its the one where Michael just keeps doing some gross stuff, with his wife in bed getting ready to sleep. Pickin' his ass, farting, pissin' in the toilet with the door open, etc... I dont remember which one it was but it was definitely season 8. It seems like it was the same bedroom set if I can remember...

Also the "Brian's secret skill" sketch where he farts and can change the scent of them

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream I’m in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As we’re laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november
Old 01/11/2004, 12:36 PM
UC Davis Aggie Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by ef_7

I liked this episode, even if Danielle was missing...
Ouch! I forgot that Daniele was missing from this episode and she is my favorite featured player so far.

Bunifa: Yo, Yo, Yo. Who you callin' a bitch? Do I look like yo momma?
Old 01/11/2004, 1:07 PM
Regular

Very good episode. I'm starting to love Nicole, really. I predict her becoming the next Nicole Sullivan.
The only truly terrible sketch was the Flu Sex sketch, really really boring.
The best part about this episode was that god-awful Danielle wasnt there to ruin anything. The worst part was that Paul WAS there to ruin things. He's so annoying.

4.5/5 stars, would be a solid 5 is Paul wasn't there, or if Bobby was there.
Old 01/11/2004, 1:17 PM
Fresh Meat

I won't go through the whole show, but I'll talk about the ones I really liked or had problems with:
-The text messaging commercial was great. I find text messaging so archaic and the punchline "HEY GANG RAPE TONIGHT" accompanied by Aries and Melissa's reactions was hilarious.
-The Simpilar Life was funny but it went on too long. But Nicole Richie held her own.
-I thought that the Film Strip scene had some good laughs. Anything showing me irresponsible parents is great.
-I was disappointed with the Drama Queen scene. But I think that's cuz I had high expectations, since I love the character.
-and finally, I just want to say that Aries is one of the scariest looking Michael Jackson's I've ever seen. He looks like MJ on 'roids.

Old 01/11/2004, 2:15 PM
It SaYz NiPpLe HoUnD!

I missed this episode last night cuz I was at a family party I'm glad Hivolt put it up so I can watch it I got to see like 2 sketches of it and that was when I went upstairs and turned the TV on and the Flu Sex sketch was on...it looked pretty good but it reminded me of the "Why Women Leave" sketch from episode #820.

Old 01/11/2004, 2:44 PM
I'm Content With Losing

In the home movies sketch, Gillian reminded me sooo much of Kathryn.

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream I’m in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As we’re laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november
Old 01/11/2004, 4:06 PM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by MADtv Watcher Flu Sex: Are they supposed to be the same couple that did the bad habits sketch last season, b/c I found it interesting the Michael's character was named Brian (again).
820 Why Women Leave

Are you sure Michael's character's name in this sketch was "Brian"? If so, this may be the first "new" recurring "character" sketch we've had in a while.