Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04/19/2009, 12:11 AM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Default Match Game '09: Take Two

"Boo-doomp, boomp-da-doomp...BWOUNT! Boom....Boo-doomp, boomp-da-doomp...BWOUNT!"

(Ah, the '70s!)

The ghosts of Gene Rayburn, Brett Somers, and Charles Nelson Reilly, as well as the dry wit of Richard Dawson, live on in "Match Game '09." At this moment, we have seven players:
  • MADfan (MADfan2004)
  • MIML (Planned Disaster)
  • Morgie (PitaPockets)
  • Sean (seanmathis26)
  • STT (StopThatTicking)
  • Tara (tarzapam)
  • tvman (tvmanismadformad)

Ideally, I would like to have at least eight players overall; however, I'll settle for at least six. That way, at any given point in the game, we can have two "contestants" and four to six "celebrity panelists." (More on that in a minute.) Anyway, if y'all's is interested in participating, then jump on in; and I'll add your name to the above list. I'll give this a few days before I begin the game proper; so if you have already signed up, then please just bear with me until I can get a few more comrades to join.

Those of you who are already familiar with "Match Game" do not need to read the following part between the dotted lines. However, for anyone who is unfamiliar with "Match Game" (i.e., anyone who has never had the pleasure to watch a hilarious episode), I'll give you a breakdown of the show's format. Basically, there are two parts to "Match Game":

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • There is the "regular" game, if you will, in which two contestants are given a series of fill-in-the-blank questions. The panel of celebrities (six in the '70s incarnation of "Match Game") write their responses on cards; and the contestant to whom the question has been assigned tries to guess the panelists' responses. The contestants are given two chances to match each panelist, and the one who matches the most celebrities goes on to play the Super Match. (More on that later.) The questions are always goofy; and a contestant's best chance to match the panelists is a double-entendre answer, or at least a semi-witty pun. Here's a sample question:

"T-shirts are getting really wild these days. The other day, I saw a woman with a souvenir shirt from Hawaii. She had the biggest ________s I've ever seen!"

Naturally, the double entendre being implied here pertains to the woman's upper frontals; therefore, some feasible responses would be "coconuts," "pineapples," "volcanoes," etc. In other words, the better you are at things like word association and puns, the better your chances are to match the panelists. If a contestant guesses something mundane (or what host Gene Rayburn loved to refer to as a "rotten answer"), then he or she will likely not match anyone. The rule of thumb here? Outrageous answers normally equal success, at least if the panelists themselves haven't given rotten answers. (It happens -- trust me.)

• The second part of the game is the Super Match. The contestant who wins the regular game is first given a sample fill-in-the-blank question, only this time, the question is a phrase, such as "________ station." (Some plausible responses would be "gas station, "weigh station," "police station," and so forth.) Before the show, a studio audience from a prior episode had been polled for their responses. For the first part of the Super Match, the current contestant solicits the panelists for some help in trying to guess the most popular response from that prior audience poll. Once the contestant settles on an answer, the three most popular answers are revealed; and the contestant is awarded a certain amount of money based on how high his or her answer is on the list of three. Also, the more popular the answer, the more money the contestant is able to try for in the final part of the Super Match. For this final part, the contestant calls on a celebrity panelist of his or her choice; and again, the host reads off a phrase such as the above example. If the contestant matches the response that the chosen panelist has given, then he or she wins the big money. It's just...that...easy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For our purposes, allow me to explain the format I have in mind. (After you read this, feel free to make any suggestions which you think might help make the game run more smoothly; this is just my initial idea.) I will choose two of you at a time (probably with a random generator of some kind) to be contestants; and the rest of you will function as panelists. For the regular game, each time a contestant matches a panelist, he or she will receive one point; and each panelist who matches the contestant will also receive one point. (This way, the panelists will have some stake in determining their own scores, not just the contestants', and won't give ridiculous answers just to throw the game. None of that, please. ) All of this will naturally be handled via PM. As we proceed with the game, you should catch on quickly to how this will work out.

For the first part of the Super Match (i.e., the poll-the-audience scenario mentioned above), I will ask all of the panelists to PM me their responses to the sample phrase (e.g., the "______ station" example above). The contestant (i.e., the one who won the regular match) will be awarded two points for each panelist whom he or she matches; and the panelists themselves will get two points each if they match the contestant. For example, if the contestant matches three panelists, then he or she would be awarded six points.

For the second part of the Super Match, the contestant will play for twice the number of points he or she has obtained in the first part of the Super Match. For example, if a contestant obtains six points in the first part, then he or she will play for twelve points in the Super Match. If the chosen panelist matches the contestant, then the contestant will be awarded those twelve points; and the panelist who matched him or her successfully will be awarded six points. Important note for this example: six points for the panelist, not twelve. I think this point distribution is fair because it somewhat negates any unnecessary advantage that the chosen panelist will have over the other panelists who are *not* chosen; yet it still gives the chosen panelist some kind of "reward," if you will, for being selected in the first place. The panelist still receives some points, however; and in the overall spirit of the competition, the contestant gets *more* points. After all, if you are the contestant, then it stands to reason that your round of competition should receive a higher payoff than those of the panelists for that given round, right? (That said, feel free to suggest otherwise if you disagree; otherwise, this is what I intend to do.)

As for how many games each of you will get to play as a contestant versus the number of games for which you will be asked to serve as a panelist, that scenario is still up in the air. If I get an even number of players, then two contestants can square off at a time for, say, two games each. If I get an odd number of players, then perhaps I can do a round robin of sorts -- we'll see. Also, I have to allow for the fact that a few of you may choose, for whatever reason, to withdraw at some point. While I do want *some* structure to this game, I don't want *too* much; after all, the purpose here is to have fun, right? We can play X number of predetermined games, or we can just keep going until everyone gets bored; I'm very flexible here. At any rate, join up if you haven't done so already; and get ready for a bunch of laughs and stuff. Or so I hope.

"We can dig it!"

Last edited by mizzimad; 04/19/2009 at 9:30 PM.

Old 04/19/2009, 1:11 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

?? I guess I will have to see how it is played. I think this is why I don't get people to play my games. I don't put as much effort into the rules. But can you really blame me? I spend so much time on things like episode summaries that I don't really have the time.

I do have a suggestion however. I think the game could be more fun if the panelists were celebrities. We would state who we are in the PM, and then each contestant has to guess what that celebrity would say. You would state who each celebrity is on the page. For example, take your question you posted. Let's say I was playing Miley Cyrus. I would answer that question with something like Sweet Nibblets, because that's what she says on her show a lot (and for you idiots out there wondering how I knew that, look at my name jack holes!). I think this could add a little more fun to the game, and keep it going longer because we wouldn't get board playing the same person over and over again.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)
Old 04/19/2009, 1:12 AM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Give me a Cliff Notes version of that shit and MAYBE I'll sign up.

Old 04/19/2009, 2:13 AM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmanismadformad View Post
I do have a suggestion however. I think the game could be more fun if the panelists were celebrities. We would state who we are in the PM, and then each contestant has to guess what that celebrity would say. You would state who each celebrity is on the page. For example, take your question you posted. Let's say I was playing Miley Cyrus. I would answer that question with something like Sweet Nibblets, because that's what she says on her show a lot (and for you idiots out there wondering how I knew that, look at my name jack holes!). I think this could add a little more fun to the game, and keep it going longer because we wouldn't get board playing the same person over and over again.
I had that idea in the back of my mind (somewhere ), but that's one of those creative liberties that I suppose is best left up to you guys. Yeah, that would be a great way to maintain interest in the game. Just one minor caveat: don't get so caught up in the characterizations that you forget to match the contestants. Good day, tvman. I SAID, "GOOD DAY"! HOO! (Never seen the show before in my life. ) Seriously, though, A+ suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADfan2004 View Post
Give me a Cliff Notes version of that shit and MAYBE I'll sign up.
That *was* the Cliffs Notes version. Seriously, that's about as concise as I can make it without leaving anything out. Okay, how this? At any given time in the game, you are either a contestant or a panelist. If you're a panelist, then you try to match your answers with the contestants'; if you're a contestant, then you try to match your answers with the panelists'. Just leave the points, the flow of the game, and all of the other major details to me. Besides, once we get started, you guys should catch on pretty quickly anyway. Now join, already! Um, please?

(Apparently, I'm in a smilie mood again.)

"We can dig it!"
Old 04/19/2009, 3:31 AM
Hardcore Fan

i love the gene rayburn avatar. gene was so awesome

Quote:
I think the game could be more fun if the panelists were celebrities. We would state who we are in the PM, and then each contestant has to guess what that celebrity would say.
on match game, most of the time all of the celebrities came up with similar answers anyway, so i'm not sure if it makes sense for the contestant to guess each celebrity's answer

i think it would be fine to have celebrity panelists, but in most cases i think that it will probably not have much of an effect on the answers we come up with. for example, for "____ station", would miley cyrus say "gas station", "police station", or "fire station"? there's really not any type of station that is specific to miley cyrus, so it's probably just best to answer with the first thing that comes to your mind
Old 04/19/2009, 3:48 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

The celebrity thing would work better with the longer questions.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 04/19/2009, 8:44 AM
n4yr

Yeah, I'll join. I've heard of this show before but never actually seen it (this was on TV way before my time), Your rules are a little complex but I'm surre I'll catch on.

Old 04/19/2009, 10:41 AM
MADtv Fan Since 1995 EST.

Since Mizzimad is the 'BEST' Super Mod and the most respectful forum member on here i would be honor to be in the new season of the MATCH GAME 2009.
Old 04/19/2009, 1:36 PM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopThatTicking View Post
i love the gene rayburn avatar. gene was so awesome
Thanks. Yes, yes, he was.

Quote:
on match game, most of the time all of the celebrities came up with similar answers anyway, so i'm not sure if it makes sense for the contestant to guess each celebrity's answer
I think I should clarify this for anyone who's confused (err, most of you? ) The contestant supplies only *one* answer to a given question; from there, we'll determine how many panelists he or she has matched. I'm sensing that you understood this already, STT; I just want to make sure that the others understand. Again, folks, this will all make much more sense as we get into the game; so if you're reading the rather detailed rules and going "hurrrrh?," then don't feel bad. This is actually the easiest game on the planet -- oh, and the most fun.

Mo' homies fo' da game! I'll add y'all'ses to da list. Mm-hmm.

"We can dig it!"
Old 04/19/2009, 2:13 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Eh, screw it, I'm in. This may very well be the last game we ever get to play on Planet MADtv.

Old 04/19/2009, 3:57 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

What about the MADtv Awards, the MADtv Lifetime Achevement Awards, and the Planet MADtv series?

Rise from the Dead!

Old 04/19/2009, 9:29 PM
Staff Alumnus

If I can get one mo' gangsta to join, then we'll have our eight. Come on wit' it, now!

Those of who have already joined may want to think about which impression you would like to adopt as a panelist; that is, if you want one. Oh, and Gene Rayburn is already taken. Sorry.

"We can dig it!"
Old 04/20/2009, 10:37 AM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Charles Nelson Riley! lol

No wait, we're doing actual Match Game panelists or just celebs in general?

-------------------------------
"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 04/20/2009, 12:35 PM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitaPockets View Post
Charles Nelson Riley! lol

No wait, we're doing actual Match Game panelists or just celebs in general?
Either -- it's entirely up to you. Naturally, I think you've made an exquisite choice. Now if someone else will be Brett, then it'll seem like old times. Sorta. (I'm beginning to wish that I were on the other side of this game and that someone else were hosting.)

I think I've found a way that we can do this game quite effectively with an odd number of players; still, one more person may surprise me between now and the game's start. Although I would like to begin the game tomorrow, I'm also going to be very busy. Definitely plan on a Wednesday start, however...or Thursday, more than likely, in Australian time.

"We can dig it!"
Old 04/20/2009, 1:24 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzimad View Post
(I'm beginning to wish that I were on the other side of this game and that someone else were hosting.)
You can be. Once we get the game going and everyone understands what he/she is doing, you can maybe pass the hosting roles onto someone like me or sean or something whenever you want to play, and we will just rotate it around to anyone who wants to do it. Instead of PMing you, we would PM the labled host.

I'm still not quite sure how this goes, but if I have to choose a celebrity I will choose Terry "Hulk Hogan" Bollea. I think I could do a lot with this one, plus I don't know any of the celebrities that were actually on the 70's show, so I wouldn't know there personality.

I'll have to look around youtube to find clips of the show so I can get a firm understanding of the show.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 04/20/2009, 2:26 PM
n4yr

I think this question has already been asked but I'll readress it anyway.

When somebody is a celebrity, does that person say what they think that particular celeberty would say or what they would say themselves, because its kinda hard for me to come up with what any celeb would really say to a question.

Old 04/20/2009, 2:43 PM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planned Disaster View Post
I think this question has already been asked but I'll readress it anyway.

When somebody is a celebrity, does that person say what they think that particular celeberty would say or what they would say themselves, because its kinda hard for me to come up with what any celeb would really say to a question.
The main object of the game is to come up with matching answers; that should take precedence over everything else. The whole celebrity thing is just a way to make the game more fun by allowing you guys to adopt different personas. In the case of, say, tvman's Hulk Hogan impression, he could answer the Hawaiian T-shirt question with a PM like this: "I've always loved violence: when I'm in the ring, I erupt with anger. That's why my answer is 'volcanoes.'" Or he could choose to go a completely unexpected route, one that's not necessarily what you might expect from that celebrity: "I've always been a fan of that song 'I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts,'" so I said 'coconuts.'" (Lame examples, but they get the point across.) I hope that clears things up a bit. Still, you don't even have to choose an impression if you don't want one; it's all up to you. Again, the matching is the important thing.

Quote:
You can be. Once we get the game going and everyone understands what he/she is doing, you can maybe pass the hosting roles onto someone like me or sean or something whenever you want to play, and we will just rotate it around to anyone who wants to do it. Instead of PMing you, we would PM the labled host.
This is the scenario I'm ultimately hoping for. This way, ahem, "I get the beeeeest of both worrrrrlds." (I have simply GOT to stop the "HM" references. )

"We can dig it!"
Old 04/20/2009, 3:43 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Yeah I was thinking Brett or Charles.

"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 04/21/2009, 5:59 PM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzimad View Post
Those of who have already joined may want to think about which impression you would like to adopt as a panelist; that is, if you want one.
i wanna be leroy, the cocaine kingpin!

huh? nevermind

at least for the first round, i'm just going to do an impression of myself
Old 04/22/2009, 12:31 AM
Staff Alumnus

'Kay, after running y'all's asses through a random-sequence generator -- don't you feel used? -- I have determined the following playing order for our first seven games:

Game 1: MADfan and Tara
Game 2: MIML (Planned Disaster) and Morgie
Game 3: Sean and tvman
Game 4: STT (StopThatTicking) and MADfan
Game 5: Tara and MIML
Game 6: Morgie and Sean
Game 7: tvman and STT

And with that, we're on in 5, 4, 3, 2....PLACES!

"Boo-doomp, boomp-ba-doomp...BWOUNT! Boom...boo-doomp, boomp-ba-doomp...BWOUNT! Boom...."

Announcer: "Get ready to match the stars....
  • Planned Disaster
  • Charles Nelson Reilly (or maybe Brett Somers...heh) [Morgie]
  • from 'MADtv,' seanmathis26
  • StopThatTicking
  • and from 'American Gladiators,' Hulk Hogan [tvman]

...as we play the star-studded, big-money...

...with the star of 'Match Game '09,' Mizzimad Rayburn!"

*thunderous applause (naturally)*

Welcome, one and all, to "Match Game '09!" No, you're not seeing double; no graves have been dug up. I am in fact the grandson of the original "Match Game" host, Gene Rayburn; and what we are attempting to do here is to revive an old game show that is a favorite to many of you out there. Fortunately, this time around, we don't have to worry about censors; and with that in mind, I would like to start out our debut episode with the following:

[bleeped out]@#$#!@$^$#^#!$#@#$#$@#$$!@#%%%%$^$^@#$@#$[/bleeped out] And that's what I think about it, you bunch of dingbats!

And now, speaking of dingbats, I would like you to welcome our panel of celebrities.

*thunderous applause (but still not as thunderous as the host's)*

And we can't have a game without our contestants, so let's bring out MADfan and Tara!

*The little whirlywhatchamahoozits wheels them around as the applause continues.*

I would ask you to tell us a little about yourselves, but time is money. We have no sponsors; and besides, Charles Nelson Reilly would just yawn through it all anyway. Now, for those of you who are unfamiliar with "Match Game," a little explanation is in order here. We will play two rounds. In each round, the contestants will be presented with two questions, as shown here:

For each question, the contestant will supply one answer that he or she thinks will match the replies that the celebrities have written. Each time a celebrity matches the contestants' answer, both the contestant and that celebrity will receive one point. (The celebrities' points will be important down the line.) The contestant (either MADfan or Tara) who matches the most celebrities will go on to our Super Match, where he or she can win many more points. And with that, MADfan, since you won the coin toss backstage, you will get to go first in this round. At this time, we ask you to choose either Question A or Question B.

(And no, you don't get to see the questions beforehand; that's part of the fun. So choose, MADfan.)

"We can dig it!"
Closed Thread