Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/10/2008, 2:36 PM
Fresh Meat

Default Frank Caliendo Blasts 'MADtv' Attack Humor

Frank Caliendo Blasts 'MADtv' Attack Humor
By Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith
Jun 20, 2008

With his comedy tour a hot ticket and his "Frank TV" series taping its second season -- having outperformed expectations at TBS on its initial limited run -- comic impressionist Frank Caliendo is feeling on top these days. He's also feeling relieved to be away from the mean antics often seen on his former place of funny business, Fox's sketch comedy show "MADtv.'"

"When I was at 'MADtv,' we would attack a lot. That's the reason why nobody wanted to do 'MADtv,'" he claims. "They ripped on people for no reason. They were outing Rosie O'Donnell ahead of time. Why, if you are a big actor or actress, would you want to be on a show that's being mean to people?" asks Caliendo, who says he often avoided going too far. "I wouldn't do a lot of stuff they asked me. I would just tell them I didn't feel comfortable with certain things."

As for his own sketch comedy show, returning this fall, Caliendo says they're just trying to have fun and have no intention of hurting anyone. "We try to take the smart route. We're not doing attack pieces."

In fact, Caliendo, who's most known for his dead ringer impersonations of George W. Bush and John Madden, says he has no ill will toward the people he imitates. "I like most of the people I do impersonations of, although John Madden hates me."

I think its funny that after he left the show he wants to bad talk it because he thought that the show was being to mean spirited to celebrities. He knew what he got into when he joined the show and if he felt like it was being to mean he shouldn't have signed to be on the show. I kinda see why he wasn't participating in a lot of sketches during his tenure and the only time he would show up is to do an impression or a skit that wasn't being to mean

Here's the link:
http://www.nationalledger.com/artman...72621140.shtml

Old 07/10/2008, 9:49 PM
Hardcore Fan

I wonder if Frank saw any MADtv episodes since he left? It is gone more vulgar.
Old 07/10/2008, 10:22 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

That's the whole point of the show. It's a parody show. Of course they're gonna attack people. Frank needs to grow some balls, man.

Old 07/10/2008, 11:51 PM
MADtv Fan Since 1995 EST.

MADFan2004 that is if he even has any, lol

yeah frank was on the show for 5 years and he know what the deal is
Old 07/11/2008, 12:00 AM
26/07/16!!

I sad thing for Frank is that most of us (including myself) want to see celebrities get attacked, especially when they deserve it lol. Although MADtv really does border on the ridiculous with some of the celebrity sketches but im pretty sure thats why a lot of people watch it. 13 seasons is hard to argue with BTW for any show!

An example being all the Oprah sketches done, i havent seen much SNL but i dont think they would attempt anything close to some of the stuff MADtv has done (Oprah being a vampire, exploding Dr Phil etc, crazy but damn funny!).

Old 07/11/2008, 10:24 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

What the-... Why is he dissing MADtv to promote his own show?

Old 07/11/2008, 12:56 PM
Cupcake: Celebrating S14!

I personally think that it's terrible for him to be dissing MAD after all of the fame that he gained from from the show. I loved his Madden and Bush impressions, and sometimes youjust need to realize that you are not trying to be mean to the people you are impersonating, you are just trying to make people laugh.

~Fatima~

Michael, Mo + Nicole Parker FOREVER!!!!
Old 07/11/2008, 1:40 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

That's a bit unprofessional if you ask me. I'm sure that other castmembers might have had their fair share of problems, but I don't recally any one of them dissing the show that gave them some form of popularity. Tsk tsk Frank.

Old 07/11/2008, 2:06 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

I saw this article a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe what he said, since he holds the record for more impressions than character ratio than any cast member in history. He says celebrities don't like going to a show where they make fun of people. Does Frank realize that his show on TBS is ALL ABOUT making fun of celebrities? So I guess by what he is saying is that if celebrities are made fun of on MADtv, it's bad, but on his show it's ok. He also said he refused roles a lot. If that was true, than why didn't he get out of there after season 3 or something. I think the Fox executives liked him a lot, so they kept him on the show. I think that's why he had few roles in season 10 and 11 (does anyone else feel that there were big gaps where he didn't appear at all), because the writers didn't want to write for him, because he was such a complainer. I still like him, but on this issue, he is way out of line.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)
Old 07/11/2008, 5:04 PM
Casual Fan

Yeah this seems a bit weird, you obviously can't take this show seriously, it's only for a laugh and to poke a bit of fun at celebrities! I wouldn't go as far as saying it "attacks" them..
Old 07/11/2008, 7:21 PM
MADtv Fan Since 1995 EST.

and having the most impression that is something to debate allot because stars like Will Ferrel and Michael McDonald have impressions and characters

CALIENDO needs to research before he talks because the last time i checked he was the one that was underused from season 7-11
Old 08/02/2008, 2:01 PM
Fresh Meat

I dont think Frank had a problem making fun of celebrities when he was on MADtv. What a freaking coward.
Old 08/03/2008, 1:12 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

Let's give the man 30 pieces of silver for his trouble and send him on his way.