Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 13 (2007-2008)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite sketch of #1308?
Barack Obama & Hillary Clinton: "Obama" 21 39.62%
Introducing Dan Oster 3 5.66%
Coach Hines: Post-Game Press Conference 8 15.09%
The Dangerous Jobs Channel 0 0%
My Life on the D-List: Entertaining the Troops 2 3.77%
Commercial: The New AT&T 2 3.77%
Rice & Beans Tour - Part III 0 0%
Bon Qui Qui at King Burger 14 26.42%
Adam Talks to the Police 2 3.77%
Stand-Up Performance: Jon Reep 1 1.89%
Closing: Bobby & Cast 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11/24/2007, 11:42 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Mizzimad I concur. I enjoyed the episode even though it had a few flaws here and there. If you turn into Oprah I'll bow down

Old 11/24/2007, 11:46 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustG View Post
Mizzimad I concur. I enjoyed the episode even though it had a few flaws here and there. If you turn into Oprah I'll bow down
If it were physically possibility for humans to shoot wads of dough from their rectal orifices, then I would soooooooooo be there.

"We can dig it!"
Old 11/24/2007, 11:49 PM
Obsessed!

I watched the umbrella song, begging of Dan, and the Kathy Griffen sketch. I TiVO'd it and only watched those things as of now.

The Umbrella song felt like the old MAD TV we all know and love, and I loved it.

Dan was funny and I think will be a good part of the show. I loved how he made clear he was only a featured player. Hopefully he moves up....unlike some good people we know....(Lisa D!)

Kathy Griffen thing I thought was halarious. I love Kathy Griffen, and I actually saw the real episode w/ her and Michal when they actually went to Iraq, and it was good. They did a great job on this.

I saw they did Coach Hines live........while fast fowarding to get to Kathy, that seems just like a bad idea......a lot of the characters aren't good (or wouldn't be good might be better to say) live. Like Coach Hines Live = doesn't sound good. Vancome Lady Live...would work. Coach Hines is more of a sketch only character (using my terms here lol) like Darlene McBride is. (Darlene is much better though )....sorry this is starting to turn into a I miss Nicole S. thing, lol it wasn't meant to be. Basically, the characters should be in the old Mad Tv format, and taped.

- "He looka lika man." - Bunny Swan
-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Tcha...ya know what? Huh-uh!" - The Vancome Lady
-"You're so sexy!" - 2-Litre Beth
-"Look how little my gloves are!" - Dot Goddard
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
-"Look what I can do!" ~ Stuart
Old 11/25/2007, 9:03 AM
zlolz

I liked the episode a lot more on re-watch, although it's still not what i'd call "awesome"

Old 11/25/2007, 10:34 AM
Season 14 is Here!

Sketches I can't wait till they youtube: Umbrella Parody, Bon Qui Qui at King Burger, and Adam talks to the Police.
Sketches that I'll watch on youtube if they get put on: Dan Oster, Coach Hines, Kathy Griffen and Michael McDonald,
Sketches That were ok but won't really watch again if go on Youtube: Stand Up: Jon Reep
Sketches I WON'T watch if they go on youtube: All the rest LOL too lazy.

Umbrella Parody: This was pretty good but too short no? I thought it was funny and MADtv made look a lot like the actual music video, the sets and effects, everything. But like I said to me it seemed too short

Dan's Introduction: I ussually go on this forum before the episode airs here because it airs earler to everyone on this forum and I can read the reviews before watch the episode, so when Rurry was talking nake men stand up I thought he mean't this on at first and thought to myself this isn't bad like Rurry said, of course though he was talking about Jon Reep, and I didn't know til he came on. Anyways this was funny I liked the part where he mentioned the period LOL. This defintly changed the way I thought of Dan, I thought he would suck, but this wasn't bad.

Coach Hines: I didn't think this would work when I saw coach hines on stage with just the chalkboard, and it sort of didn't but they did waht they could and they followed some you guy's advice to use the stage *yes, I know this sketch was taped before the 'How can Season 13 improve thread' , but I like to think MADtv listens to us fans :/ * It worked better than I thought it would but like people said it was a little long to watch. Jordan's part was funny and this might have worked else where but there, but at least their using the stage

Dangerous Jobs: no...

My Life on the D-List: Entertaining the Troops: Was this taped last year? Techniclly *excuse my spelling* this was deleted scenes from Katy's show no? Well anyways this was ok, it wasn't awesome, but it had it's moments, like when katy was telling the people that all the american soilders would be at there show and that they were only armed with their sense of humor LOL.

Commercial AT&T: No... Noo....A waste of Dan...

Rice & Beans Tour - Part III: I wish they would stop these, but theres no way there is a whole season worth of these....rite?! I liked when Bobby got freaked out by the puppet man though LOL.

Bon Qui Qui at King Burger: My favorite sketch of the night LOL, I seriously thought Umbrella would be my favorite, but it was to short. Anyways Bon Qui Qui rapping was unexpected and funny and when she thought Arden wanted to fight her that was funny too, the thing is if this Character returns how will she make it different from this one, thats one thing that worries me about Anjelah, She is funny, but will we be seeing the same thing all the time like tammy the nail salon lady being repeted at every stand up she does, but good job Anjelah this was funny and I believe in you.

Adam Talks to the Police: I liked this, this was funny and different from the ussual Adam & Jennifer *thats her name right LOL* sketches. Did anyone else notice the other people looking through their windows and doors? Obviously they were curious about what was being filmed in their area LOL

Standup Performance: Jon Reep: This was ok, but I don't think I wanna watch it again, it wasn't THAT bad because it had some funny moments. Except I don't wanna see that bagel joke again...

Closing: CLOSiNG!!!111!!!!!1 yeah it was a closing thats all to it..., but like someone else metioned I did notice Michael walk off early, poor Michael.

Anyways this episode was much better than #1306, or #1307, I almost even didn't notice the format change....ALMOST!! Anyways I have question? Does anyone else sing the old MADtv theme song only to later remember that it's longer the theme song ? I also forget that MADtv Season 13 is even MADtv, I guess #13 really is unlucky.

EDIT: WOOT!! This has got to be the longest review I have ever made, No I bet it's the longest POST I ever made, I rule LOL!!!

Old 11/25/2007, 10:58 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

The website that they showed after the Coach Hines sketch is actually a legit website: www.coachhinesrants.com.

They have 5 of his sketches on there: Football Rant (where the high school alumni comes back and plays a prank on Hines if I remember correctly), School Bus Rant, Oliver Twist Rant (the school play), Juicin Rant (the Steroid Buster one), and Ice Cream Rant (Coach Hines at the Ice Cream parlor).

I wonder if they're gonna start doing this with the other characters as well.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:09 AM
Season 14 is Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustG View Post
The website that they showed after the Coach Hines sketch is actually a legit website: www.coachhinesrants.com.

They have 5 of his sketches on there: Football Rant (where the high school alumni comes back and plays a prank on Hines if I remember correctly), School Bus Rant, Oliver Twist Rant (the school play), Juicin Rant (the Steroid Buster one), and Ice Cream Rant (Coach Hines at the Ice Cream parlor).

I wonder if they're gonna start doing this with the other characters as well.
Oh yeah I forgot about that website, I remember thinking don't forget, I forgot. I don't think they'll do that with every character, but who knows maybe. But don't domains *thats what there called right?* cost money? Imagen a new website for every character, that would cost a lot of money, of course though I'm not sure . I remember they made a website for this duralog commercial back in season 11. The website included a calander of the month of November or December don't remember with Danelle Gaither and Arden Myrin. I printed and put it in my school locker LOL.

Old 11/25/2007, 12:24 PM
Crista's biggest fan

Couple things I gotta say which maybe you will all find helpfull

first and foremeost, the episodes you guys are seeing are greatly editied from what I saw live. They are also pieced together from various dates. For exmaple, they showed us the gotcha squad live when I was there for this screening but instead they played the michael talks to the police sketch on the actuall show.

They edit the laughter, they edit the jokes, they edit everything and anything. The final episode is a far cry from what actually took place. Especially the coach Hines live sketch. Keegan did so many more jokes that I guess were only done for the live audience because they never made it on air.

The best part which you guys missed was he did an immpression of the infamous cardinals coach Dennis Green's rant of last year where he says "The bears were who we thought they were!"

Lastly, I told you it was gonna be john reep as the stand up. Reep did like 3 times as much material live. The odd thing is, they didn't even put his best jokes on the actual show. I mean, our audience reacted well enough to some of his jokes, but I guess the mad producers chose the jokes they felt the home audience would like the most.

Old 11/25/2007, 12:58 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

AwYeahKrumpin I have a question for you. Now before I ask let me just point out that your answer will be like a heads up for what to expect. Umm I plan on going to Cali for spring break next Spring to actually see a taping/screening of MADtv. In your honest opinion, would you say that shows are better Live as in being in the audience or better to just watch from home? Oh and my second question, does the audience actually respond more than what we actually see on TV?
Old 11/25/2007, 1:17 PM
Crista's biggest fan

I have not been to many screenings, but I can tell you with confidence that seeing mad live is much better than watching it on tv

there's a chance you meet your favorite cast members, win a mad tv hat or shirt or maybe even a set of dvds or get turned down while asking to date crista flanagan!

there is a good atmosphere i think there at the henry fonda theater. you get to drink at the bar (although the drinks do cost alot)

the audience reacts slightly diferent in person to the jokes. what we laugh at there, is not neccacerliy what you hear on the laugh track on the show. you will also see alot of other funny "behind the scenes" type things happening that will likely never make it on the air.

Like the keegan coach hines sketch i saw live was maybe like 10 minutes long in person while the edited version of it was maybe 3 or 4? im not sure how long it was on the air... but you get the idea... you guys missed quite a few jokes that i got to see live

Last edited by AwYeahKrumpin; 11/25/2007 at 1:18 PM. Reason: crista is the reason for the season
Old 11/25/2007, 1:53 PM
zlolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwYeahKrumpin View Post
Couple things I gotta say which maybe you will all find helpfull

first and foremeost, the episodes you guys are seeing are greatly editied from what I saw live. They are also pieced together from various dates. For exmaple, they showed us the gotcha squad live when I was there for this screening but instead they played the michael talks to the police sketch on the actuall show.

They edit the laughter, they edit the jokes, they edit everything and anything. The final episode is a far cry from what actually took place. Especially the coach Hines live sketch. Keegan did so many more jokes that I guess were only done for the live audience because they never made it on air.

The best part which you guys missed was he did an immpression of the infamous cardinals coach Dennis Green's rant of last year where he says "The bears were who we thought they were!"

Lastly, I told you it was gonna be john reep as the stand up. Reep did like 3 times as much material live. The odd thing is, they didn't even put his best jokes on the actual show. I mean, our audience reacted well enough to some of his jokes, but I guess the mad producers chose the jokes they felt the home audience would like the most.
Well whatever they did with this episode, they should continue doing, because it was a HELL of a lot better then 1306 and 1307.

Old 11/25/2007, 2:14 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Eh, not really.

This episode was kinda weird to me. Outside of the end of "Adam," nothing really stood out to me as laugh-out-loud hilarious, unlike 1305 and 1307 (yes, I liked 1307, so **** YOU). But unlike the last three episodes, this one actually FELT like a real episode of MADtv, wheras the other ones were... I don't know what. So I gotta give them points for that.

I did enjoy Angelah's character and I liked how Dan didn't do a stand-up, though. And it was at the beginning, so he actually got to do things throughout the episode.

Also, Coach Hines being on the stage was a little inappropriate. They couldn't find a high school auditorium to shoot in?

Old 11/25/2007, 2:37 PM
zlolz

I think MADfan just likes to be the devil's advocate...how do you not like this ep and like the pile of crap that MADtv had the nerve to call an episode that polluted our screens last week?

Old 11/25/2007, 2:43 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Oh, you're full of shit, Rurry. The only reason you didn't like last week's episode was because Mo and Debra weren't in every single sketch.

Old 11/25/2007, 2:49 PM
zlolz

Actually...no. I didn't want them to be in every single sketch. But come on now. A random comic? A text-only sketch talking about how book-based movies are so short they must be based on ClifNotes? A news segment featuring a pickpocket beating people up, in 4 different videos? Rice and Beans? The return of encores? Not exactly what I'd call a good episode

Old 11/25/2007, 3:11 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurry View Post
A random comic?
Who was hilarious, btw. You even said yourself that you thought he was funny.

Quote:
A text-only sketch talking about how book-based movies are so short they must be based on ClifNotes?
Eh, it was a commercial parody. They're kinda always like that.

Quote:
A news segment featuring a pickpocket beating people up, in 4 different videos?
Aw, I loved that sketch.

Quote:
Rice and Beans?
I'll give you that one, but I did think it was the better of the three so far.

Okay, let's pretend that 1307 WASN'T the 300th episode (which, technically, it wasn't). Would it be a good episode then?

Old 11/25/2007, 3:20 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I'm gonna have to side with Rurry on this one and say that regardless of whether 1307 was the 300th episode or not, it still wasn't that stellar of an episode because of the material shown throughout the episode. Rice and Beans in general is crap (even though the 3rd installment was better than the first 2). The news segment dragged after the second video. They didn't even have encores; they just showed one sketch from season 1 and that was it and even then they misused the encore because Raging Rudolph was from the Christmas special 12 seasons ago and it's mid/late-november. PLus a lot of people who go to the shows now barely remember stuff from 1995. The least they could have done was have sketches from different seasons showcased going into commercial break like they did for the 100th and 200th episodes. So no episode 1307 still wouldn't be good regardless of what number it was because of the material.

And Rurry you're right; whatever MADtv did last night is something they should keep doing if they wish to survive (which they will).
Old 11/25/2007, 4:46 PM
zlolz

Honestly, I don't even consider 1307 the 300th episode at this point. It was just a sucky episode in general, 300th or not. The writing was just completely horrendous, all through-out. Granted many of the sketches were probably last-minute add-ons, but still.

And as for all commercial parodies being like that....Tickle Me Emo? Spishak? The Welfare Game? A Little Pill Called Ectasy? I rest my case

Getting back to 1308 discussion...I think my favorite sketch is actually the Umbrella parody now. I dont know how to change my vote though -_-

Old 11/25/2007, 5:58 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurry View Post
Getting back to 1308 discussion...I think my favorite sketch is actually the Umbrella parody now. I dont know how to change my vote though -_-
By any chance, do you own a time machine?

Old 11/25/2007, 6:33 PM
Hardcore Fan

I'm impressed with Anjelah Johnson and Dan Oster. I think MADtv has found itself two great cast members. These two are the #1 reasons why MADtv will continue past Season 13.