Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 12 (2006-2007)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite sketch of #1207?
Black Friday 2 15.38%
Capote: Infamous #1-3 0 0%
Coach Hines: Homecoming Game #1-2 2 15.38%
The 2006 Cactus Ridge P.G.A Desert Classic 3 23.08%
Celebrity Pets: Tom Cruise's Cat *Claymation* 0 0%
The Sound of Music Alternative Endings 6 46.15%
Dane Cook gets Heckled 0 0%
OJ Simpson Interview: "If I Did It, Here's How It Happened" 0 0%
Attitudes and Feelings, Both Desirable and Sometimes Secretive Pt. II 0 0%
Weekly News with Toby: Celebrity Divorces 0 0%
Happy Feet Premire 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11/22/2006, 1:34 PM
Relative Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurry View Post
This episode sounds promising so far...I have a feeling it'll be better then the last 2.

I hope they dont overkill the Dane Cook impression though, this will be the 3rd time this season he's appeared and it's only been 7 episodes. Not to mention his first appearence was in 1203...

Still, it's sounding good so far.
Funny you should mention that because I found this right now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6G_CB0QAbW8

As far as this episode is concerned, I'd say it's shaping up to be a winner. Mind you, I didn't think Eps. 1205 and 1206 were necessarily bad, but I've been yearning for something on par with the first four episodes of this season.

Question/Spoiler Warning (Highlight the box below to view the text)
Quote:
Who's the heckler in that Dane Cook sketch?

Old 11/22/2006, 1:39 PM
zlolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypn0d1scf4n View Post
Funny you should mention that because I found this right now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6G_CB0QAbW8

As far as this episode is concerned, I'd say it's shaping up to be a winner. Mind you, I didn't think Eps. 1205 and 1206 were necessarily bad, but I've been yearning for something on par with the first four episodes of this season.
LOL thats hilarious. Wonder if that's the last Dane Cook skit.

Anyway, I agree with you. I thought #1205 was decent, but #1206 was pretty bad. The first 4 episodes this season were excellent IMO, and #1205 and #1206 didnt live up to the promise of those episodes.

Like I said though, this episode is sounding good. No "Look at me, I'm asian" Bobby Lee skit (no signs of one, anyway), no HNL...

Old 11/22/2006, 2:11 PM
Fresh Meat

Weekly News with Toby is back too!!!

Bring it!
Old 11/22/2006, 2:38 PM
zlolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJeff View Post
Weekly News with Toby is back too!!!

Bring it!
Where'd you here that? I hope its true though.

Old 11/22/2006, 3:12 PM
His senses were dimmed

hahaha the Dane Cook one is awesome. I wish that would happen in real life.
You see... MadTV understands me. They too know that Dane Cook is a joke but his own jokes aren't funny.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 11/22/2006, 3:26 PM
zlolz

Who the heck rated this episode already? It hasnt even aired yet...

There should be away you could disable voting for threads before a certain date...

Old 11/22/2006, 4:08 PM
Bender: still great

I blame Potty.

Old 11/24/2006, 7:18 PM
Obsessed!

I'm excited for the Sound of Music parody....or whatever it's going to be...I love Nicole P. I hate Coach Hines....I'm def. not looking foward to it. My hopes is that Mo will come back for one episode and we get a new Stuart , but I know most are against that.

- "He looka lika man." - Bunny Swan
-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Tcha...ya know what? Huh-uh!" - The Vancome Lady
-"You're so sexy!" - 2-Litre Beth
-"Look how little my gloves are!" - Dot Goddard
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
-"Look what I can do!" ~ Stuart
Old 11/25/2006, 10:30 PM
zlolz

All I can say, that Sound of Music parody was downright WRONG, LOL...but I did find it funny.

Old 11/25/2006, 10:33 PM
Fresh Meat

sweet! I won't be able to see it til tomorrow. Has weekly news w toby appeared? please no more crappy animation!
Old 11/25/2006, 10:47 PM
zlolz

Weekly News With Toby!!!!

Old 11/25/2006, 11:11 PM
zlolz

Oh man...what a great episode.

Open: Crista on Black Friday: This was good for an open. It wasn't amazing, but it was a pretty decent sketch and I thought Crista did really well here.
Capote #1-#3: These were IMO the weakest sketches of the night, but they weren't horrible. The 3rd one was the best. The critics reviews saved these IMO, and glad to see no "Larry King Says..." (even though I find them funny, it woulda been overkill).
Coach Hines: Special Visit: This was a pretty good Coach Hines, the best part was when Coach Hines threatened to make Yamanashi (?) caucasian, LOL. You could tell Bobby was holding in a laugh.
PGA in Arizona: I'm not into golf, so I didn't get what they were parodying here, but I still found it pretty funny. At times it was over-the-top, but Bobby as the devil and Michael's pancake nipples saved it.
Celebrity Pets: Tom Cruise's Cat: This was tolerable. It wasnt great, but it had it's moments. This and Weekly News With Toby every week and no other claymation/animation, and i'd be ok with that.
Sound of Music Alternatie Endings: This was FANTASTIC. Everyone shined in this. I didn't like the 1st ending too much (it was basically just making goriness funny) but the 2nd one was BRILLITANT (but SOOOO wrong) and the 3rd one was pretty good, too.
Dane Cook Quits Stand-Up: Another winner. The ending was the best, with Frank saying "That guy just made Dane COok quit stand up...lets hear it for that guy!" and the audience applauding lol. Short and sweet.
OJ Simpson Interview: Started off slow, got a lot better as it went on. The cake part was brilliant.
Korean Soap Opera Part II: Not as good as the first one, but still pretty hilarious. The paragraph taking up the whole screen but her saying only one word in Korean was hilarious. The ending...was quite a shock, lol.
Weekly News with Toby: Divorces: Not the best Toby, but...Im just glad to see him back, personally. It was still hilarious even if it wasnt #1.
Arden at the Happy Feet Premiere: Red Carpet Events are Arden's thing. Another fantastic job by Arden. Just wish it was longer.
Close: Coach Hines: Didnt pay much attention to this.

Overall, this was a GREAT episode. The beginning of it was a little shaky (but nowheres near bad) and then once the Sound of Music skit came, it became brilliant. No fake performance, unless you count Dane Cook.

And about the animation...I wouldn't mind Celebrity Pets being recurred, and of course, I love Weekly News With Toby. Having those 2 sketches every week and dumping the other crap would be fine with me.

So...yeah. This episode was a HUGGGGGE improvement over 1206 and was a lot better then 1205, too (though 1205 wasnt horrible IMO). Finally, an episode on par with the first 4 episodes of the season.

8.5/10

Last edited by Rurry; 02/05/2007 at 4:28 PM.
Old 11/25/2006, 11:32 PM
zlolz

Oh and next week is a rerun, i'm pretty sure. Ughh. FOX sucks.

Old 11/26/2006, 12:21 AM
Bender: still great

Quote:
Carmero
It's Capote

Open: Black Friday - A rare excellent performance from Crista is on display here. She was definitely convincing as an frenzied consumer taking advantage of Black Friday, and so was Keegan. Good opener.

Capote #1-3 - Hrm? The first one was alright (Frank's Capote impression was quite good), but the other two were simply filler bits at their worst. However, Morgan Freeman's (Jordan) half-ass Capote impression elicited a short laugh.

Coach Hines: Homecoming Game - Another very solid Coach Hines sketch. I'm so glad that they're driving Coach Hines in a different direction, rather than him threatening students whilst a teacher talks. The line "If you don't shut up Yaminoshi, then I don't know how I'll do it, but I swear to God I will turn you Caucasian!" (along those lines) was probably the best one-liner all season, bar none.

PGA Tour in Arizona - There were parts that were way too over the top (such as the Devil appearing suddenly), but other parts were roll-on-the-floor hilarious, such as Michael's pancake nipples. Not an A+, but still quite good.

Celebrity Pets: Tom Cruise's Cat - Best stop-motion/claymation bit yet. I haven't really laughed at any of the other similar bits this year, but this was really funny, I thought. Short but sweet.

Sound of Music: Alternate Endings - If not for the third ending (which was a bit stupid, I thought) this would have unquestionably been an A+ sketch. HOWEVER, it was still top-notch. The first two endings were excellent, but like I said, the third ending brought it down a tad. But as we all know, Nicole Parker's Julie Andrews impression is comedy gold. "Heidi Klum, you can go suck it" (if you didn't find that line funny, then dieplzkthx)

Dane Cook Standup - I don't love Ike's Dane Cook impression, but it's very workable. However, does it make me a bad person that I kind of think the real Dane is...sorta...um...how do I put it...err...slightly funny? Don't get me wrong, Dane Cook is well worth parodying, I'm just saying, I don't share the same animosity over him than, say, TJ does. OK sketch, nothing amazing.

OJ Simpson Hidden Interview - God, I love how OJ is in the news AGAIN. I've seen my fair share of OJ lampooning in the past (eg. OJ Bloopers reel in S1, Blind Date with OJ Simpson in S5), but having taken that into consideration, it was still an OK sketch. The "Murderer!" lines got old, but the part where he stabbed the cake furiously was great.

Attitudes and Feelings... Pt. 2 - Call me retarded (eg. "You're retarded, you sad, sad, git-faced gimboid!"), but I really didn't expect them to continue this. Having said that, this is probably one of the better things Bobby has done so far. He was great, and it surely beats the hell out of all the Bae Sung BS they shoveled the past three seasons. Considering I don't watch (or even know anything about) Korean soap operas, this was still pretty funny, although I would have liked this better if I had a better understanding of the source.

Weekly News with Toby: Celebrity Divorces - Not the best Weekly News bit, but still good.

Happy Feet Premiere - God knows, if Arden did these type of events last year instead of Ike/Bobby, then maybe I wouldn't have ragged on her NEARLY as much as I did in S11. The best parts of this was Robin Williams interacting with Arden, and Arden saying how she needed to go back to Hooters to get to her shift. I still say that Arden would work even better with another person, notably Ike or Nicole Parker.

After last week's *ahem* trainwreck, this was a very refreshing, satisfying episode. I might get desecrated for saying this, but it felt like a solid Season 5 episode. Except for that lame 3-part Capote parody, nothing truly bombed. Also, there wasn't a fake performance, which is good, because we need a break from those. This week wasn't particularly focused on one member, and with one exception, everyone had something worthwhile. Even the weaker castmembers, such as Bobby, Ike, and Crista, did very well with what they had. No NRJ to speak of, though. Whether that's good or bad, I'll leave it to you, but honestly things were very good even without her.

I'll round all of the scores to a final rating (out of 10), along with weighing certain skits heavily in lieu of others to form an opinionated rating, which is what I've been doing before.

TECHNICAL SCORE: 6.8/10
OPINIONATED SCORE: 8/10

Last edited by Cagnazzo; 11/27/2006 at 1:02 PM.
Old 11/26/2006, 1:58 AM
Casual Fan

I missed the first two sketches "Black Friday" and "#1 Capote". Is there anywhere I can see them? Someone mentioned Frank was in the first Capote, which actor did he play in it?
Old 11/26/2006, 2:09 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

I'm not sure how much of the sketch it is, but on the www.fox.com homepage they have a clip from the Black Friday show opening. Just scroll through the shows in the video player at the bottom of the page.

Old 11/26/2006, 3:51 AM
D2F

Ok, I'd first like to say that my TIVO is a bastard and I am no longer talking to it. The title of this episode in my TIVO program guide was "Lady Sovereign Performs" and of course that didn't happen. I am normally against musical guests but I would have liked to have seen that Not sure what happened there. I know she got sick and had to cancel some tour dates in the LA area recently so maybe that interfered with her performance.

Anywho...

-Open: Crista on Black Friday: I hate to be a broken record but Crista just can't be beat as far as facial expression goes. This may have gone on for a liitle too long but it was still genuinely funny. Note that they used a PS3, nobody in their right mind would fight over a Wii
-Capote #1-#3: I really could have gone without these. I'd agree that these were easily the weakest sketches but it was still better than some of the sketches in the season.
-Coach Hines: Special Visit: Awesome. I can't for the life of me figure out why so many people dislike Coach Hines but I have never seen a Hines sketch and not laughed out loud. The only minor gripe I have is that ol' Asian Horatio Sans lost his composure at some point. This is usually funny when it happens, but with Bobby it's a constant thing. Still a great sketch.
-PGA in Arizona: I thought the best part of this sketch was the delivery of the lines by Keegan and Michael. They got the awkward tone and pace of a golf announcer perfectly. Quite good.
-Celebrity Pets: Tom Cruise's Cat: Enough with the friggn animation/claymation.
-Sound of Music Alternatie Endings: Hilarious. This was a perfect sketch. Great concept and very well executed.
-Dane Cook Quits Stand-Up: I like this impersonation. It was pretty funny. I'm not one of these people that hopped on the "hate Dane Cook now that he's big" bandwagon, but I found this sketch genuinely funny.
-OJ Simpson Interview: So-so until the end. Overall pretty decent.
-Korean Soap Opera Part II: I never saw the first one but I loved this. It totally reminded me of when I went on a Korean movie bender recently. They captured Korean melodrama perfectly, I think. Huh?
-Weekly News with Toby: Divorces: This is the only animation I can tolerate and its not really animation. Pretty funny.
-Arden at the Happy Feet Premiere: For as much as I dislike red carpet sketches, this was pretty darn good. Arden handled herself quite well especially considering what a retarded movie she was assigned to cover.
-Close: Coach Hines: I love Coach Hines!

This is definitely a highlight of the season so far. Very funny all around and very few weak points. I'm glad that the season is getting back on track. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go scold my TIVO some more for giving me false hopes

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 11/26/2006, 9:53 AM
zlolz

If anyone cares, the repeat next week is 1203. I dont understand the random repeat FOX always puts between the 7th and 8th episode of the season..

Old 11/26/2006, 10:05 AM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Default Review Ep 1207

Open: Crista on Black Friday: Eh, it was amusing to say the least. Other than that, I don't have much to say about it.

Capote #1-#3: I didn't get it. The first two just confused me but the last one I kinda liked.
"The New York Times Says: 'Is the only difference in this movie that the actor is black and miscast?' We ask the New York Times: 'Why do you hate black people?'"

Coach Hines: Special Visit: This wasn't as good as the one in 1201, but still better than most of the crap sketches since its debut. It's funny, though, that Jordan was actually the star of the sketch and Keegan just kinda ruined it.

PGA in Arizona: It was okay, but I'm not really sure I understand the parody. Did something like this actually happen recently?
"I've never seen a black man with sunburn before."
"Yeah, it surprises me when I look in the mirror."

Celebrity Pets: Tom Cruise's Cat: I think I liked this one better than last week's, and I LOVED last week's. I just think it's so awesome (and probably accurate) that Tom Cruise would have a pet and never even touch it.

Sound of Music Alternatie Endings: At first I was thinking, holy hell, this is crap, but after the first ending, it came around. The second one was even better, even if it was wrong on so many levels. The third one was good too.

Dane Cook Quits Stand-Up: I didn't really catch the whole thing because they reran the SNL episode with Sacha Baron Cohen, but it looked okay. I thought, though, that because of the heckler, they were gonna do something like the Michael Richard's incident, but oh, well. I did love how the heckler who made Dane Cook quit doing stand-up got a standing ovation from the audience.

OJ Simpson Interview: Nice job on this one! It was especially great since this happened on Monday, which made it so recent (and it gave MADtv an advantage since SNL was a rerun this week). I loved pretty much everything about this sketch except for how abruptly it ended. But still, best sketch of the night.

Korean Soap Opera Part II: I didn't get this either, and the only real parts that made me laugh was when the girl said, like, one line and the subtitles took up the entire screen, and when she and Bobby found out they both had the same mother. It was weird, too, that I wouldn't get this, as I watch this kind of stuff quite often.

Weekly News with Toby: Divorces:This was AWESOME. Loved the part about Tom Cruise and his "prisoner" Katie Holmes.

Arden at the Happy Feet Premiere: Honestly wasn't paying much attention because Arden was looking HOT.

Close: Coach Hines: This was better than the actual sketch.

Final Thoughts: A definite improvement over the last two episodes, but still not that great. I was extremely disappointed by there not being a single one-off sketch, but that didn't stop it from being a solid episode (see: 922). It was nice to see Frank finally DO something for a change, but didn't like the lack of Nicole RJ. The animations were good this week, and it was nice to see Weekly News back. No fake musical performance was also a good thing. Though there were some sketches that were mediocre/bad/confusing (Capote 1 and 2, Korean Soap Opera, Coach Hines, PGA), they were outweighed by the decent/good/great sketches (OJ interview, Weekly News, Celebrity Pets, Dane Cook, Capote 3, Sound of Music), which is why I give this episode a...

Old 11/26/2006, 12:31 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I was out and didn't get home until the Dane Cook Standup sketch came on, but it was a pretty solid episode for the most part.

Dane Cook Standup - Ike's best impression, for sure. No one really parodies him, so it's nice to see. But when Dane "quits standup" does that really mean we'll never see this impression again? Are they stopping before they run it into the ground? Or are they going Bae Sung on us?

OJ Simpson Hidden Interview - Not really funny, ever, for me. The cake part was the best. Not sure how Jordan's OJ was, but it seemed to be pretty good.

Attitudes and Feelings... Pt. 2 - Lost the touch of the first one. Shooting this one on set was definitely the downfall. The first one had that "on location" touch that, I think, made it a really good sketch. This one just wasn't as funny. BTW, all info you have on these characters is going to be really helpful for the guide, so remember all the names you can.

Weekly News with Toby: Celebrity Divorces - Any Toby is a good Toby these days. Which is surprising, because I wasn't really accepting of him in the beginning.

Happy Feet Premiere - Sorry guys, Arden really disappointed on this one. I'm going to blame it on the fact that it's a children's movie, and premieres for these types of movies aren't really funny. It was kind of funny to see her leech off Brittany Murphy while she was doing her VH1 interview though. Other than that, send Arden to better places.

Close: Coach Hines - If I had actually seen the first part, I could have enjoyed it. But I'll take bloopers over anything.

I'm obtaining the rest of the episode as we speak, and I'll add my updates in later.