Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/12/2006, 12:04 PM
Bender: still great

Well, I haven't really tackled this thread...until now.

IMO, FFX-2 is grossly underrated (then again, the people who hate it always say "durr, durr, it so stupid and cheesy, I won't bother with it, durr, durr") I'll admit, I was first like that...I bought the game in Summer 2004, played a little bit, and said "f**k it, I'm not gonna bother with this". Now it's Spring 2006...and I can't stop f**king playing it. I guess I was able to look past the cheesy "garment grid" system, and I was able to find a lot of strategy in it. Also, the story is good, but it's no FFX as far as I'm concerned. Bottom line - look past the bubble-gum exterior...you'll be rewarded. If not...then...

Another good one is Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and the expansion pack, The Frozen Throne. Wait, let me rephrase that...Another good game is the custom map "Defense of the Ancients: Allstars" on WC3:TFT. I mean, holy sh!t, that game is literally like digital crack (I know there are a lot of games that are, but IMO that one takes the cake) It's been almost two years playing DotA...and FOUR years playing WC3...that's replay value for ya. Finally, does ANYONE here play DotA, or even KNOW about DotA, or at least have WC3:TFT, because I need more people to play with BADLY.

Quote:
While FF7 may have brought Final Fantasy to the masses, I would contend that FF4 and FF6 blow the pants off it.
Agreed. FF7 WAS great, don't get me wrong, but take away the (admittedly brilliant) graphical gloss (well...brilliant back in the day ), and it's really NO different from ANY other FF in the past...but it DOES deserve credit for making Final Fantasy mainstream.

Old 05/12/2006, 3:34 PM
His senses were dimmed

Damn I hate making myself sound like a total geek but I gotta throw in my two cents.

Hell Yeah X-2 was underrated! I personnaly think that with X and X-2 combined, you have the best FF experience ever. Both worked well together. I really can't put into words how much I loved them. I looked at X-2 as like comic relief following a sad scene like what is done in Shakespeare. There was a sad ending in X so a more chipper story followed. Same with Tactics and Tactics advanced. I think the only problem with X-2 was the lack of difficulty. Even the hardest stuff wasn't too difficult. I didn't even really think of it as a bubblegum exterior. It was a perky as life would be in reality if the events in X had happened.
I know the story or any real charateristics were as good as 10 but I don't think a comparison should be made between them at all. They are perfect together IMO.

To sum this bit up: FFX and FFX-2 = best FF universe I've seen so far but they work off of eachother and one isn't as good if it isn't linked with the other.

Before X-2 came out FF7 was my favourite. And if I didn't look at the X universe as one compilation of a game, FF7 would be my favourite. I like that FF7 is still getting huge attention but it deserves it.
I don't get how someone could like 6 or 4 more than 7. I think 5 was better than 4 or 6... Actually, 4 was good too but 6 is one I'm not too fond of.
Although it opened up FF to mainstream, it had good reason to do so because of how excellent it was. I think it had way more depth and character development compared to the previous games and 7 had the best characters and story until X came out...

Anyways I think Im done now so I'll turn {/geek} off...

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 05/14/2006, 1:30 PM
D2F

Well recent games I've played a lot are Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Half Life 2 and I've been playing Diddy Kong Racing on an emulator, and I'm determined to beat the game!

Oh and of course I am battling an addiction with Counterstrike Source every day. Its not going well so far...

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 05/14/2006, 1:35 PM
Totally F****able

gawd i haven't played video games in a long time.......at least not on my xbox. I've been completely obsessed with online RPG's. Right now Im currently playing 5, yes 5 different RPG's online. They're so damn addicting

Old 05/14/2006, 2:21 PM
His senses were dimmed

Haha they have monthly fees don't they? That gets really expensive I would think.

Old 05/14/2006, 2:52 PM
Totally F****able

Not the ones I play.......u can play for free, unless you want to become a donator which is between 3-5 dollars a month. It doesn't do anything except get you some minor useless upgrades....

Old 05/14/2006, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiogrrl4405
Not the ones I play.......u can play for free, unless you want to become a donator which is between 3-5 dollars a month. It doesn't do anything except get you some minor useless upgrades....
You don't happen to play Guild Wars?

Religion is like farting: we like our own but hate everyone elses.
-Homer Simpson
Old 05/14/2006, 6:25 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCagnazzo
Another good one is Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and the expansion pack, The Frozen Throne. Wait, let me rephrase that...Another good game is the custom map "Defense of the Ancients: Allstars" on WC3:TFT.
If I'm thinking of the right map, I never much cared for DotA. Mindlessly killing wave after wave after wave after wave of cannon fodder for no purpose, and then firing up another game to do the exact same thing all over again? In Contra or Smash TV, fine. But in an RTS? Pass. I just don't understand the appeal of mixing Warcraft's "hand of god" control scheme with the action-shooter genre. What next? Turn-based soccer?

Old 05/14/2006, 6:29 PM
Totally F****able

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmacoma
You don't happen to play Guild Wars?

Nope. I'll check it out though. The ones I'm currently playing are: HoboWars, Torn City, Mono Country, Redneck Fights, and Metro Wars.

I'm not real big on redneck fights though, its starting to bore me.....

Old 05/14/2006, 7:15 PM
His senses were dimmed

Smash TV... isn't that like super old? I might be thinking of another game but it was very similar to Contra.
Since we have a thread for games, anyone pay attention to E3 this year?
Nintendo stole the show hands down. FFXIII with 2 announced sequels didn't even come close to making me care about PS3 with stuff like Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Galaxy.

Old 05/14/2006, 7:52 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I'm not huge into video games anymore. I grew up on Sega Genesis/Saturn and I used to love them.

My younger brother has a Gamecube, so I play that w/ him sometimes. He loves the Mario Party series and he's been playing them since the first one on N64. He has all of them and lately we've been into Mario Party 7, the newest one. You can play w/ up to 8 people, so it's a blast when we have a lot of people over. Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 and Animal Crossing are fun too. He also really likes The Sims.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 05/14/2006, 7:58 PM
D2F

LOL If you are talking about the Nintendo Revolution then I hope you have fun trying to play a video game with a remote control

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Old 05/14/2006, 8:34 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Huh? I don't even know anything about Nintendo Revolution. I'm talking about Gamecube, which is what my brother has. I'm not that into video games anymore.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 05/14/2006, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind
If I'm thinking of the right map, I never much cared for DotA. Mindlessly killing wave after wave after wave after wave of cannon fodder for no purpose, and then firing up another game to do the exact same thing all over again? In Contra or Smash TV, fine. But in an RTS? Pass. I just don't understand the appeal of mixing Warcraft's "hand of god" control scheme with the action-shooter genre.
/Geekspeak on

Actually, DotA is NOTHING like that...well DotA Allstars that is (the old RoC DotA WAS like that somewhat)...it's basically a 5v5 fight between various heroes to destroy the other team's main hall (think WCIII with a CS twist)...it takes a lot of things into consideration, like how well you 'farm' (collect gold by killing creeps), countering the different hero types (eg. if you have Shadow Shaman and your opponent is the Anti-Mage, chances are you're SOL), what kind of items you purchase with your gold, and pushing different lanes so that you can destroy the other teams barracks, which gives you better creeps and a much higher chance to win. Basically, it's all about teamwork and combining the abilities of each hero to overcome the team (for example, using the Sand King's Epicenter ability in conjunction with the Treant Protector's Overgrowth ability to immobilize enemy heroes and the Venomancer's Poison Nova to deal additional DPS (damage per second)). So...yeah...I don't know what game you're thinking of, really (maybe the WC3 version of RoboTron 2084, perhaps?)

/Geekspeak off

Quote:
What next? Turn-based soccer?
Oh yeah, they have that too. Not to mention dodgeball, snipers, Wintermaul, turn-based RPGs, millions upon millions of Tower Defenses, etc, etc...

On an unrelated note...they just released info on the PS3...and guess how much it costs!

"$300?"

Nope.

"$400?"

Higher.

"$500?"

Almost there.

"$600?"

BINGO! That's right, kids, you heard it here first...the PS3 will officially be $600. Actually, that's not quite correct. The 20GB hard drive version will be $499, and the 60GB hard drive version will be $599. But, rumor has it, that the 20GB version can hook up to anything BUT HD-TV, whereas the 60GB version ONLY hooks up to HD-TV. And because most people will get HDTV in the next 5 or so years, not only will they have to buy the $500 version for their regular TVs, but then a few years down the line, they'll have to replace THAT with the $600 version if they should replace their old TV with an HD unit. So that's...um...$1100. For ONE gaming system. If the games looked awesome, then that wouldn't matter. But the sad thing is, they don't look any better than what Microsoft's XBOX360 offers. Even worse, they pressured Nintendo to release it's patent first for it's gyroscopic controls, which they also RIPPED OFF from Nintendo. Finally, there STILL aren't that many killer apps for the PSP beyond Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories. I have to commend Sony, though...12 years in the game market...too bad it looks like it won't last beyond the 13th.

Bottom line...GG Sony...You just got pwn3d by Nintendo, kthxbai. VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!

R.I.P. Sony's gaming division ~~ 1994-2006

And last, but not least, I've just picked up FFIV Advance (keep in mind this is my FIRST time playing it), and while I love it so far, I've had two problems with it:
  • Why is it that Sand Worms, who, according to FF mythos, are by FAR the largest monsters that exist, only have 75 HP?! I mean, jeez, I know they're early game monsters and everything...but when they can be defeated with ONE sword attack, then something isn't right.
  • That Spoony Bard Edward.

...AND I'M THROUGH!

Old 05/14/2006, 9:33 PM
D2F

PC gaming > *

Cagnazzo you have to me ****tin me. Sony is going to die because their new console is expensive? No. You might be surprised to hear this but Sony's gaming division doesn't live and die on sales in America. Sony is THE gaming console in Japan. Nobody cares about XBOX in Japan. The PSP is expensive as hell but its still selling pretty well and sure is better than the DS.

Now if you want to talk about gaming console poison then I suggest you look towards the Nintendo revolution. Remote control gaming, dont make me LOL.

Your math is off on the PS3 thing. A few years down the line we will be onto the next version of all the consoles and the PS3's price will have dropped. I am willing to predict that Sony and Microsoft (not going to mention Nintendo because they don't matter) will be fine when it comes to the HDTV thing. You need to realize that people do actually use their TVs to watch television as well as play games.

LCD/Plasma flatscreen technology prices have gone WAY down in the past year or 2 and as a result we are seeing that more people are buying them. The same thing will happen to HDTVs. They will get cheaper, cable/satellite companies will make HDTV a more compelling choice and they will become commonplace. You can't blame the progress of the television industry on Sony.

The PS3 graphics don't look any better than XBO360? Were you sleeping during the Killzone demo? The PS3 has MUCH stronger technology behind it and was not released prematurely like the 360 and as a result it is going to be a little pricier. Sony isn't new to this. I think they will do just fine. Sony isn't going ANYWHERE.

But as I said before, PC gaming > *

Old 05/14/2006, 9:59 PM

WOW. KILLZONE. WHOOP-DE-FRIGGIN-DOO. Let's see...it's that...and MGS4 (and I'm not even sure that's a PS3 exclusive or not). Hell, look at the E3 booths if you want proof. The Nintendo Booth had a 180 minute minimum wait time to play games. The Sony and Microsoft didn't have a wait time. Microsoft, yea, I can understand, because the XBOX360 has been out for a while, but when you consider that this is the DEBUT of the PS3, then you can't help but think that Sony messed up somewhere.

Oh yea, while Sony's Gaming Division will probably survive in Japan, like SNK of years past, it's more or less done for in the US. But that's just my opinion.

Old 05/14/2006, 10:06 PM
D2F

Oh please like wait time is any indication of quality. Sony is careful about what they release, but they make good games. MGS4 will be genius, just as 3 and 2 were.

I think there are plenty of playstation fanboys hear to keep Sony afloat. Just like there will always be enough children and zelda fanatics to keep nintendo alive despite all their stupid gimmicks.

Old 05/14/2006, 11:12 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TJ~
Smash TV... isn't that like super old?
Very much so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCagnazzo
Actually, DotA is NOTHING like that...well DotA Allstars that is (the old RoC DotA WAS like that somewhat)...
Quote:
So...yeah...I don't know what game you're thinking of, really
Sounds like you do.

In any event, I wasn't aware that there was more than one iteration of DotA. Given an in-depth understanding of WC3 and all the numbers behind it, Allstars definitely sounds like it could be interesting. Unfortunately, I haven't taken the time to learn all the ins and outs of the game since WC2, so it's probably futile for me to jump back into the fray at this point.

Quote:
Oh yeah, they have that too. Not to mention dodgeball, snipers, Wintermaul, turn-based RPGs, millions upon millions of Tower Defenses, etc, etc...
Any idea if a WC2 campaign mod has been released yet? I've been craving a little Warcraft action lately, but I just can't get into the new WC3 style of play.

As for the E3 debate...
  • The 20GB PS3 only lacks HDMI inputs, which the 360 does as well. An HDTV can still be connected via component cable.
  • Last year's Killzone demo was pre-rendered. Don't expect the final version to look or play like that.
  • After the $130 wireless adapter, the $100-150 HD-DVD player addon, and the $80 for a year of Xbox Live, your $399.99 Xbox 360 Premium with 20GB comes out to a grand total of $710-760. Compare that to Sony's $600 offering (which includes 60GB, Blu-ray, wireless networking, media center/DVR capabilities(!), and free online play), and all of a sudden, the PS3 doesn't look like such a bad deal.
  • If Sony doesn't sell a *single* PS3 in North America or Europe, Japan will still carry them through. Until Microsoft buys Square Enix, the PlayStation brand isn't going anywhere.
  • MGS4 is PS3 exclusive. So is FF13, so is Tekken 6, so is Virtua Fighter 5, and so are most of the other franchises that matter. This is why Sony has remained largely untouchable over the years.
  • Don't underestimate the Wii.
Finally, let's keep the squabbling and fanboyism to a minimum. We're here to discuss video games -- not to crown the winner of the console war.

Old 05/15/2006, 12:10 AM
D2F

I have no vested interests in who is going to win the console wars. I don't really play console games, I'm a PC guy. The only thing that I'm dreading is that I will be at some point faced with the decision to buy a 500 dollar gaming system just for MGS4 (Michael needs his MGS). Once again Konami screws us PC gamers!

I had a feeling killzone was pre-rendered. I was reading some stuff about the demo and somebody was saying that the ps3 would be capble of those graphics and soforth but it sounded like backpedaling. I'm really not following E3 this time around simply because I dislike G4TV so much for ruining a great thing (TechTV, which ruined ZDTV long long ago).

Old 05/15/2006, 1:04 AM
0ld sk00l

Wow this is FAR off topic, because I'm not too much of the Video Game enthusiast (although I do love DDR ) But has anyone ever played...

Because it is the best. game. EVER. and it was on super nintendo. MM MEMORIES!

My Fanfics