Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/12/2010, 1:16 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Default Vancouver 2010

I got to see the Olympic torch yesterday as it passed through my town. It was great. I got my picture taken with 4 different torch bearers, grabbed 2 route marker signs, and got special edition Coke Zero bottles.

This was so much fun that I can't believe that it's going to be 1000000000000x better in the next 2 week, when everything goes into full swing. I probably won't be here close to at all in the next 2 weeks.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)

Old 02/12/2010, 1:17 AM
D2F

I'm like 2 hours from the god damn Olympics and I can't go to them. Being poor sucks.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 02/12/2010, 1:28 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Tell me about it. I haven't been able to do anything/only little things with money for the last few years because I have been specifically saving for these games. Now they are here, and it's time to slaughter piggy open and party!

Rise from the Dead!

Old 02/12/2010, 11:56 AM
Totally F****able

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post
I'm like 2 hours from the god damn Olympics and I can't go to them. Being poor sucks.
I know how you feel.

Old 02/12/2010, 11:22 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Nelly Furtado's ass at the opening ceremonies =

Old 02/13/2010, 12:10 AM
D2F

I wish my stream was clearer when she was on but that thing was looking damn good. Almost distracted me from how much it sounded like an 80s movie montage.

Overall it was a major fail-ceremony that confused the hell out of me.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Old 02/13/2010, 1:46 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

As a person who could not see it first hand, but is very close to these games, I have to agree that it was a little bit of a failure. There were some good things, like Nelly Furtado's performance, Donald Sutherland's narrating was very powerful, slam poet Shane Koyczan proudly Canadian speech, and k.d Lang's great rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah were good, but there was some pretty bad things.

The thing I was probably most upset about, was that they chose Nikki Yanofsky to sing the Canadian national anthem. I didn't like this because 1. A month ago, most of the country had never heard of her, 2. For one of the most important renditions of Canada's anthem in history they should have used someone famous. Not a 16 year old girl, who only shut in moms with no jobs who watch the morning news at 8:30 may have known about, 3. She came to fame less than a month ago by making a song called "I Believe" for the broadcaster of the games up here CTV, so this move gave off a little bit of a feeling that CTV may have payed off the crew to put her in there, and 4. She altered the tune a bit, which should NEVER be done. It's the Canadian national anthem. No one wants to here it changed. It's just one of those things where it's perfect just the way it is.

I also didn't like that they looked at Native culture, French Quebec culture, but no English Canadian culture. I know the Native culture is an important part of these games, but they shouldn't completely ignore the White English culture. I mean, everything wouldn't be here without it.

I said all week that I didn't want Wayne Gretzky to carry the torch because 1. He never played for Vancouver, 2. He broke almost every record against Vancouver, 3. He wasn't born in British Columbia, 4. He doesn't even live in Canada anymore (he lives in Phoenix), 5. He barley counts as an Olympic athlete. It should have been Rick Hansen. He's one of the biggest heroes to come out of this area, and he shows the real spirit of the city.

There was also the pesky torch not rising, and the wind not blowing the flags, and the fact that Catriona Le May Doan was left just holding her torch was sad.

All in all, a good ceremony, but not at all fantastic or spectacular. So many things could have been done differently and better. I did like though that they didn't try to copy Beijing. People are going to say out there "It was not even close to Beijing" and "It wasn't as good as Beijing", but remember, Beijing had a limitless budget and could have launched all of there athletes into space in the Opening Ceremony if they wanted to. Money was not an option. They also had a bigger stadium. They didn't do as good as Beijing, but they didn't copy Beijing, and for a show that can never be duplicated, you have to give them credit for that.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 02/13/2010, 3:24 AM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i pretty much don't care about the winter olympics.i think the australian team consists of about 30 people and we've won about 4 medals total in the history of the games.not winning anything = not worth watching
Old 02/13/2010, 4:12 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Oh come on! You don't remember Steve Bradbury?! That's like one of my favourite Olympic moments! Besides, I feel the same way when it comes to summer. In the first week, we couldn't win one medal, but we all kept going, and supported our athletes no matter what.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 02/13/2010, 3:27 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

I'm pretty sure you people are the only ones that seem to give a shit about the olympics. I had no idea it started.

-------------------------------
"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 02/13/2010, 3:34 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

yes i remember steve bradbury but i'm surprised anyone else did,lol.Thats kind of winning by default though,cause he was in last place,lol
Old 02/13/2010, 4:23 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmanismadformad View Post
I also didn't like that they looked at Native culture, French Quebec culture, but no English Canadian culture. I know the Native culture is an important part of these games, but they shouldn't completely ignore the White English culture.
I, too, made a few snide remarks about this, but then I realized, what was the alternative? There were Mounties, there were D-list celebrities, and there was snow. Aside from beavers and maple syrup, what else do we have?

Old 02/13/2010, 4:33 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
I, too, made a few snide remarks about this, but then I realized, what was the alternative? There were Mounties, there were D-list celebrities, and there was snow. Aside from beavers and maple syrup, what else do we have?
Degrassi. Obvs.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 02/13/2010, 5:01 PM
Administrator

I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. Except this one.

Old 02/13/2010, 5:12 PM
D2F

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitaPockets View Post
I'm pretty sure you people are the only ones that seem to give a shit about the olympics. I had no idea it started.
We get it, you guys are all too cool for the Olympics. Congrats

Quote:
Also:

Old 02/13/2010, 5:26 PM
Administrator

And both heaping handfuls of our national pride, naturally. That goes without saying.

Old 02/13/2010, 7:32 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post

Old 02/14/2010, 12:39 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Your just jealous because New York and Chicago didn't win 2012 and 2016. We got it here on the first try. How does it feel to know that Vancouver is much better than New York?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzapam View Post
yes i remember steve bradbury but i'm surprised anyone else did,lol.Thats kind of winning by default though,cause he was in last place,lol
I heard an interview with him, and he said it wasn't a win by default, it was a victory for the 12 years he fought to get there, that included his entire leg getting cut from a skate. Also, default victories are not considered default in short track. You'd be surprised to know how many people have moved on, or won medals because of other people falling.

Quote:
Are you calling Donald Sutherland and K.D Lang D-Listers?! They are both more manly then you will ever be. But you are right, there was not much else, but it was a long show so I guess we can look at that in a good way. And at least it wasn't TOO stereotypical.

Quote:
Degrassi. Obvs.
Quote:
I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. Except this one.
Degrassi? Is that the show that only stupid brainless American teens and post teens (which there seems to be a lot of there) watch?

Rise from the Dead!

Old 02/14/2010, 12:14 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Your just jealous because New York and Chicago didn't win 2012 and 2016. We got it here on the first try. How does it feel to know that Vancouver is much better than New York?
Like everything else NYC does, we did it for the money.
Most of us didn't want it, seeing as we dislike tourists as it is.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 02/14/2010, 1:09 PM
D2F

Requesting someone rename this thread "Morgie acts too cool for the olympics" in the vein of the old "Fuck Morgie and NYC" thread.