Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/25/2003, 6:59 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Thumbs Down Two musical performances in one episode to appear soon..

Legendary cult folks Kingston-style trio, The Folksmen stopped by MADtv to play a haunting yet pleasingly upbeat rendition of Blood On the Coal, followed by a folksy version of the Rolling Stone's Start Me Up. For those of you who are not familiar with The Folksmen, they are a three person band who began in the 1960's with mega-folks-hit albums such as Hitchin', Wishin', Ramblin' and Singin'. The Folksmen have returned after almost thirty years of virtual silence opening for heavy metal acts such as Spinal Tap. See the Folksmen's on MADtv with an all-new look and sound reminiscent of their original look and sound. Coming soon to MADtv!

Oh well.. hopefully it'll at least be good like Queens of the Stone Age

Old 02/25/2003, 7:13 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Since Cat_Named_Cece updates the schedule often, I suppose this will help....

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Reality Check: Dreamin' of Denzel Washington...

(my favorite Reality Check sketch)
Old 02/25/2003, 9:11 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

I hate musical performances... And what's with some old geezers from the flower power era?

Old 02/25/2003, 9:55 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

MADtv wastes a lot of money doing stupid crap like this!

Old 02/25/2003, 10:33 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
MADtv wastes a lot of money doing stupid crap like this!
Perhaps its cheaper to hire some deadbeat band than to write more sketches, hehe... Usually a musical performance takes away time for 2 sketches or so, more if its a double performance, which I hate the most.

Old 02/26/2003, 9:06 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

As I have said before, as much as I hate musical performances for the most part, I think that they really boost the ratings and spark interest in MADtv from people who otherwise would never have watched it. For instance, MADtv is frequently mentioned in Rolling Stone magazine for having an act on an upcoming show. Seeing as FOX never advertises it, I think this is the best form of advertising. Usually, it is also advertised on the band/artist's website. The performances usually just last 3-5 minutes, which just means losing about one skit. I think two songs is excessive, but I don't have a probelm with MADtv using musical performances to boost ratings, because I think that it could help them get more viewers and get MADtv renewed for a 10th season.

Enough ranting...uh...anyways... I just got up.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 02/26/2003, 10:44 AM

I agree with you, Matt, but I also think the hiring of the musical performances is out of laziness, at least when there's one nearly every episode (like this season) and when there's two of them. I agree with the ratings thing, although I think it depends on the cast and quality of the sketches for these new reviewers to keep watching "MADtv", but they should have them about every other episode or so, rather than every, and they should only be about 3-4 minutes long; NEVER have two of them either.
Old 02/26/2003, 7:58 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

MADtv still has a long way to go before it's SNL-quality. You know, they have a guest host and a musical performance every week?

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Old 02/26/2003, 8:17 PM

"MADtv" used to have hosts, in fact they had a host in every episode of season two, and pretty frequently in season three - the hosts included stars such as Queen Latifah and Halle Berry. But usually the hosts didn't do a good job acting, which is usually the case for the hosts on "SNL" now, so..
Old 02/26/2003, 8:20 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
"MADtv" used to have hosts, in fact they had a host in every episode of season two, and pretty frequently in season three - the hosts included stars such as Queen Latifah and Halle Berry. But usually the hosts didn't do a good job acting, which is usually the case for the hosts on "SNL" now, so..
Still, you barely noticed them on the show. But in SNL, they usually have each host do a monolouge (Have you seen the episode last year when Reese Witherspoon told a joke about polar bear balls? Ugh.), and they include hosts in Weekend Update also.

--Reality Check

Old 02/26/2003, 8:25 PM

They usually had the hosts do monologues too in season two. Again, they tried the host idea, but it didn't work out. At some point sometimes "SNL" has funny hosts, but usually they're not good - remember Robert DeNiro not too long ago? Yipes
Old 02/26/2003, 8:32 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
They usually had the hosts do monologues too in season two. Again, they tried the host idea, but it didn't work out. At some point sometimes "SNL" has funny hosts, but usually they're not good - remember Robert DeNiro not too long ago? Yipes
Yuck. I still remember that episode.

--Reality Check

Old 02/27/2003, 3:36 AM
Fresh Meat

Default The Folksmen

Hey. I posted this somewhere else already but I'll put it here too. The FOLKSMEN is not a real group. It's from Christopher Guest's new movie. He's the guy who made "Spinal Tap" "Waiting for Guffman" and "Best in Show". Funny. It's presented like a real group but it's really a comedy sketch promoting the movie that's coming out soon, I guess.
Old 02/27/2003, 8:30 AM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Default Re: The Folksmen

Quote:
Originally posted by critical "I"
The FOLKSMEN is not a real group. It's from Christopher Guest's new movie. He's the guy who made "Spinal Tap" "Waiting for Guffman" and "Best in Show". Funny. It's presented like a real group but it's really a comedy sketch promoting the movie that's coming out soon, I guess.
LOL this is great! Normally, I can't stand when there are musical acts on the show, but if they're affiliated with Spinal Tap and the rest of the above movies/Christopher Guest, I'm all for it. I didn't know they had a new improv movie coming out. Cool! I hope it's as good as the others.

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 02/27/2003, 10:49 AM

lmao, well it would make sense! I was gonna say, "MADtv" was pretty much hitting rock bottom hiring two old former flower-power fogies has-beens from the '60s as the musical act.. haha. And I had NEVER, EVER heard of this "mega-hit" album. And a haunting performance? ON "MADtv"? I didn't think so, lol

I've seen Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, and Best in Show, and I love all of them, they're so hilarious! Will Sasso makes a cameo in Best in Show BTW

Well then I'm really looking forward to this.. I guess this is MAD's response to people requesting season three's Corky and the Juice Pigs back (they've broken up), and they had to do with this instead
Old 02/28/2003, 8:44 AM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
lmao, well it would make sense! I was gonna say, "MADtv" was pretty much hitting rock bottom hiring two old former flower-power fogies has-beens from the '60s as the musical act.. haha. And I had NEVER, EVER heard of this "mega-hit" album. And a haunting performance? ON "MADtv"? I didn't think so, lol
LOL that's what my first thought was as well.

Quote:
I've seen Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, and Best in Show, and I love all of them, they're so hilarious! Will Sasso makes a cameo in Best in Show BTW
Yup, I remember him being in it. I love all three of those movies too. They are classics! I'm really looking forward to "A Mighty Wind" (that's the name of the new one). And, of course, all the same actors are back too! Love that. The trailer is on the imdb.com site if you want to see it. On the trivia page, it says:

"The Folksmen" was originally a sketch performed on "Saturday Night Live" (1975) during the 1984-85 season, when Christopher Guest and Harry Shearer were cast members and Michael McKean was the host.

Quote:
Well then I'm really looking forward to this.. I guess this is MAD's response to people requesting season three's Corky and the Juice Pigs back (they've broken up), and they had to do with this instead
LOL I hope it's good. Although, I don't see how "The Folksmen" could possibly outdo Spinal Tap...nothing beats Sex Farm, Lick My Love Pump, Big Bottom, Stonehenge etc! LOL! I'm sure the Folksmen are going for the more corny angle.

"I think the problem was that there was a stonehenge monument on stage that was in danger of being crushed by a DWARF. That tended to understate the hugeness of the object." Spinal Tap's the greatest!

Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
--Family Guy
Old 02/28/2003, 2:36 PM

lmao haha.. that part was funny, they had the 15" statuette of Stonehedge instead of 15', and so they had to have these midgets just dance around the 15" one... hahaha

What is A Mighty Wind about, Angie?
Old 02/28/2003, 2:37 PM

Oh BTW I love those songs too.. don't forget "**** Sandwich". And the way they were performing all of those songs at that formal party for the army..haha
Old 03/01/2003, 8:14 AM
Staff Alumnus

LOL! **** Sandwich! Yeah, that movie was great.

This is all I know about Mighty Wind:

Mockumentary captures the reunion of 1960s folk trio the Folksmen (Guest, McKean, Shearer) as they prepare for a show at Carnegie Hall to memorialize a recently deceased concert promoter.

--Family Guy