Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 7 (2001-2002)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/04/2003, 1:25 AM
Domo Arigato, Mrs. Roboto
Content Robot

Default Episode S07E01 (Aired 2001-09-22)

Cast: Alex Borstein, Frank Caliendo, Mo Collins, Andrew Daly, Michael McDonald, Will Sasso, Aries Spears, Stephnie Weir and Debra Wilson

Guest Starring: Mark Wahlberg and Jennifer Anniston

Special Appearance: Nicole Sullivan and Dr. Joyce Brothers
  • Music Video: Lady MADtv (Aries- Missy Elliott, Mo- Lorraine, Debra- Melina, Stephnie- Dot, Alex- Ms. Swan)
  • Blind Date (Andrew- Host: Roger Lodge, Mo- Marnie, Michael- Gary Condit, Stephnie)
  • Gutter (Debra- Mariah Carey, Frank- Al Pacino, Will- Robert Deniro)
  • Trina's Speed Date (Alex, Mo- Trina, Andrew- Gill, Frank- Larry, Aries- Shawn, Michael- Jim Cockhurts)
  • Rock Star Premiere (Alex, Will; Tommy Shaw/Styx, Deborah Gibson, Beautiful Creatures, Zakk Wylde, Fred Durst, Poison, Jennifer Anniston, Mark Wahlberg, Orgy)
  • Family Feud 2 (Will- Louie Anderson, Aries- Robert Meiger, Andrew- Darren Cragger, Stephnie- Sharon Meiger, Debra- Shaboukwe Meiger, Mo- Gerdie Cragger)
  • Wedding Video (Stephnie- Elizabeth, Andrew- Doug, Michael, Debra, Alex, Dr. Joyce Brothers?- Elizabeth's mother)
  • Encore: Sopranos (#624) (Will- Tony Soprano, Nicole- Carmella Soprano, Debra, Alex)
  • Close: Mo (Solo)

Last edited by tvmanismadformad; 06/15/2010 at 10:34 PM.

Old 07/04/2003, 11:25 AM
Get down tonight!

Lady MADtv: I downloaded this one back when it first aired so it was nothing new to me but still good to see in full. I liked it a lot, but on watching it over I realised it wasn't quite as good as I first thought. To me Lorraine was the only character who worked really well, as Mo managed to find just the right balance of Lorraine acting in the Moulin Rouge style but still acting as herself. The others didn't quite acheive this for me. Swan dancing seductively as she did, and Dot, a seven yer old girl wearing a corsette, didn't really fit. Also, I know the writers took this as a good oportunity to use Melina one last time but I thought Bunifa would have been more interesting in this sketch.

Opening Credits: Same as season 6 but with the voice-over. I have to say I actually liked the voice-over, it kinda got me revved up a bit in anticipation for the rest of the show. Mind you, almost 2 years without MADtv had me pretty revved up also. But possibly after a few episodes I might tire of the voice-over, we'll see.

Blind Date: This was great, and quickly reminded me why Mo is my favourite cast member of all time. Ahh, Mo. Anyway, this was trés funny, and Mo and Michael were both very good. Loved the captions on the screen. "Gary is a love 'em and leave 'em kind of guy. If anyone has information on where Gary is leaving 'em, please contact the FBI."

Gutter: Ha! This was great! Someone remind me to show this to Beth, my somewhat delusional Mariah-lovin' friend. My favourite part was Mariah smashing this dishes. Two things struck me about this sketch. Firstly, Will's De Niro isn't great, and brought down the sketch for me a bit. And secondly, there was no laughter, which was odd. Usually, even on sketches not filmed in front of the studio audience (ie the red carpet sketches) you still hear the audience laughter, but not with this one. I wonder why...

Trina's Speed Date: Mo! Mo! Mo! This was spitze. The first time I watched it, I decided the dialogue wasn't really as sharp as previous Trina sketches, but after another viewing I decided I didn't care. Mo and Michael's hilarious delivery made up for it, and the parting of the hair to reveal the extra nipple was priceless. However, the sketch ended with basically the same vomiting gag as the Valentines sketch which was great the first time, but not nearly so interesting the second time.

'Rock Star' Premiere: This was good but not as funny as previous red carpet sketches. Jennifer and Mark aside, the celebrities Alex and Will interviewed were a fairly B-grade bunch. Deborah Gibson? Poison? It's like a who's who of 1989.

Family Feud: This was pretty funny, but Will's Louie isn't as good as Frank's, which I much prefer. Witty dialogue, good performances in general, and it ended in a brawl, which is what you always want to see on the real Family Feud but never do. Good work.

Wedding Video: Possibly the best sketch of the episode, and it was all on the strength of Stephnie, who I consider a very valuable addition to the cast. She was great, and Andrew was good too, although as the straight man there wasn't much to judge him on. There was a lot to like about this sketch, but I feel like I've been writing this episode review for ages, so I won't go in to it. Maybe another time. Interesting point, though, when Stephnie makes a comment that she doesn't photograph well. This struck me as I think it might really be true of Stephnie. In all of her appearances in this episode, especially this sketch, I thought she looked really pretty, but in the various promo shots on the offical website from season 7 and 8 she doesn't look that great. Just a thought.

Encore: Sopranos (#624): The final sketch of the episode, and of course, an encore. This is a funny sketch but an uninteresting choice as it only just aired the season before. In fact towards the very end of the season before. I prefer when they dig a little deeper into the archives.

Closing: The lovely Mo, but in serious mode. This reminded me how old this episode is, and how far behind we are down here, but really, with the world in as bad a state now as it was then it was still quite fitting.

Summary: All in all, I really enjoyed this episode. Perhaps because of all the season 7 bagging my expectations were lower than they would have been otherwise. Or perhaps because it's been so long since we last had MADtv in Australia i'm feeling like a sex-starved prisoner who will take whatever he can get whenever he can. Either way I'm happy.

Old 07/07/2003, 4:32 AM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

Lady Madtv

i had heard about this, but finally seeing it was good
i thought that out of all the characters, dot fitted the least, she didn't really get too much of a good reaction
Lorraine was hilarious
as always, so was swan....i agree though, melina wasn't really the best choice to be in this and bunifa would of been better

Blind Date

Mo was great, this sketch i found to be pretty average, mainly cause we didn't really get heaps of media coverage of the whole intern disapperance thing that happend in america...so i don;'t think i enjoyed it quite as much

Gutter

i LOVE debras mariah impression
i loved this...i think my least favourite thing was the al pacino part
i just didn't like that, but everything else was good

Trinas speed date

ha ha...i downloaded this sketch actually
i really thought it was funny
and the nipple
oh man, as soon as i saw that, i was gone...
plus i love it when it looks like mo is about to totally crack up
lol

Rock Star premire

ha, loved this, i love alex and will on the red carpet
and when alex asked jennifer aniston if she thought she was prettier then her, lol, i loved it

Family Feud

i didn't really like this sketch....at all
the end

wedding video

fave part has to be where stephanie jumps out and gets it on with debra, i so wasn't expecting it, it was so funny

encore-
whatever....i mean....i forgot this sketch was pretty funny
but yeah

overall

i liked this ep, and after all the stuff u guys had said...i was expecting much worse
this was good

7.5/10
Old 07/09/2003, 11:05 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Also, I know the writers took this as a good oportunity to use Melina one last time but I thought Bunifa would have been more interesting in this sketch.
Quote:
i agree though, melina wasn't really the best choice to be in this and bunifa would of been better
I have ALWAYS thought that. I'm sure that it was just a chance to work Melina into a sketch one last time, but Bunifa would have been much better. Personally, I thought that the other 3 characters worked quite well though. One of Nicole's characters would have probably worked better in Dot's spot, but since she's gone I thought that Dot was a pretty good choice. She didn't get as strong of a reaction from the crowd because she was still a relatively new character, while the others were well established. Many called this sketch a "cheap shot", but I thought that it was a great intro to the first episode of the season.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 09/04/2003, 4:09 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

OMG!!! I never knew there was another Mariah Carey sketch (other than Love Muffin, Not Insane) Can Some Describe it for me? Or better yet, does anyone know where i can download it? HiVolt? PLEASSE SOMEONE!!!!

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 09/04/2003, 6:36 PM
0ld sk00l

I wish i saw this episode- Sounds hilarious! But I saw the Lady Madtv and Sopronoes sketch before.. I love it!
"I dont have any more gabbagoo okay? So SHUT THE FU-" lol

My Fanfics
Old 01/08/2004, 7:06 PM
0ld sk00l

Hey when I saw episode 701 on comedy central, it had Lady Madtv and Gutter right after one another before the credits. Can anyone else back me up on this?

My Fanfics
Old 01/08/2004, 9:53 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by DaNiKsTa48
Hey when I saw episode 701 on comedy central, it had Lady Madtv and Gutter right after one another before the credits. Can anyone else back me up on this?
no
mariah carey and i haven't seen it

Old 01/09/2004, 12:14 AM
Totally F****able

Lady MADtv: I Loved this sketch, both times that I've seen it. I agree that Dot was a poor choice considering she's supposed to be 7 and this was an adultish video, but everyone else was good. 4/5

Opening Credits: I can't begin to tell you how much I hate the voiceover. HELLO WE CAN READ! WE DONT NEED ANYONE TO TELL US WHO'S WHO. Although I've noticed that Mo and Michael get the most applause and noise.

Blind Date: This was funny, and Mo did an incredible job as the vacant young woman on a date with Gary Condit. I've never seen this ep until recently on CC, and seeing this bought all that Condit news back to light. This was just funny. Michael and Stephnie did excellent jobs as well. 5/5

Gutter: I thought this was funny, making fun of Mariah and her mental instability. Debra's Mariah impression never fails to make me laugh. 3.5/5

Trina's Speed Date: This is an excellent reminder of why Trina is my favorite out of all of Mo's characters. I loved how she scared away all the guys with her numerous conditions, but when she showed the third nipple, it was all over I almost died laughing. At the end though I had a bit of an "aww" moment when Michael as Trina's boyfriend proposes to her. 5/5

'Rock Star' Premiere: Yeah, ok I usually enjoy the Alex/Will red carpet segments, but this was just stupid. I mean seeing all those has been "celebrities" again I felt like I was 12. It was scary.

Family Feud: This was hilarious. I loved how Will as the host kept trying to piss off both families, because one was white and the other black. The brawl at the end was just funny. 4/5

Wedding Video: One of the best sketches of the night and it was all due to Stephnie's incredible performance. I laughed out loud at this sketch, I dont think there was a dull moment in it. 5/5

Encore: I didn't like this choice for an encore. I don't know why but it didn't sit well with me. But It could've been worse. 3.5/5

Closing: Mo, solo, in serious mode. She talked about how they understood what was going on in the world, and how they just wanted to go out there every week and try and make people laugh again. I got a bit teary with this 5/5

Old 03/01/2004, 5:37 PM
BREAKING BENJAMIN

I love this episode, especially the Lady MADtv opening. And yes, it aired on Comedy Central this weekend and Gutter did air directly after Lady MADtv, and the credits followed these two sketches.
Old 03/01/2004, 5:51 PM
0ld sk00l

Thank you for backing me up on that I thought I was going Mad! hah i made a funny! :shuts up:

My Fanfics
Old 04/08/2004, 7:01 PM
BREAKING BENJAMIN

It was Frank who played Louie Anderson in the Feud sketch, not Will.

This episode was on again the other night and I still think it's one of my favorites!

Where and who was Dr. Joyce Brothers? I didn't catch her.

Old 04/08/2004, 8:10 PM
Totally F****able

I think she played like Stephnie's Mom in the wedding sketch.

Old 04/08/2004, 8:19 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

I would LOVE to see the wedding sketch

*cough*sketchoftheweek*cough*

Old 04/08/2004, 8:52 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MJB12
[B]It was Frank who played Louie Anderson in the Feud sketch, not Will.
No, it was clearly Will. Frank didn't play Louie Anderson until after Will left.

Old 07/25/2004, 4:55 PM
BREAKING BENJAMIN

The Andrew-Stephnie couple in the wedding video sketch, were they the same ones in the sketch where Liz (same name) beats up Mo's character, who she went to school with and was really cruel? I heard the name Liz and I thought that they were the same characters, but I'm not sure.

Old 08/23/2004, 11:02 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

I finally saw GUTTER

Old 06/01/2005, 8:26 PM
what do you want!!!

I totaly agree, i haev no idea why they used Melina, it would be better with Bunifa, but i dont think she would have fit in good with the whole whore thing, though it could do with ehr saying "is it cause IM BLACK!"
But who else could thye have put in, maybe Oprah, Cloret( lol)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kai
Lady MADtv: but I thought Bunifa would have been more interesting in this sketch.

Old 03/13/2007, 4:47 PM
zlolz

Lady MADtv: Just an awesome music video and an awesome way to kick off a new season. Nothing else to say except that this rocked.
Blind Date: One of the weakest sketches of the night, but it was ok. For some reason the "Facts about [insert name here] parts amused me the most. Mo performed well as well as Michael, but the writing was "ehh". Anyway...
Gutter: Out of all of the sketches about Mariah Carey, this was my least favorite. I just found it kind of dull, but it had a few funny moments.
Trina's Speed Date: I really like Trina (that's right mizzimad ) and this was no exception. Mo is awesome at (almost) everything she does. This was hilarious.
Rock Star Premiere: As usual, an awesome Alex/Will red carpet event, although it was admittley one of their weaker ones.
Family Feud: Funny sketch, but a lot of the time, I couldn't understand what Will was saying. But the concept was funny and it was a pretty good sketch overall.
Wedding Video: This was hands down the BEST sketch of the episode - it was hilarious! It even topped Lady MADtv. Stephnie performed awesome-ly. Andrew was mediocre as usual, but everyone else performed really well. Hilarious sketch, A+ material definitley. Best part was the fast fowarded part - LMAO.
MADtv Encore: The Sopranos: A hilarious sketch, good choice for an encore. :starhalf (4.5 originally, -1 for encore)

Overall: A pretty impressive episode. Not one of the better season premieres, but still a good episode. Nothing bombed, and there were two 5-star sketches. Better then 90% of Season 7. Sadly, this pattern didn't contiune for the rest of Season 7, but like I said, a good episode. Stephnie was the star of the episode - how can anyone even say she was bad, ever?

7.5/10