Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09/28/2007, 1:38 AM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Post "MADtv" Is the "Best Medicine" at Malibu Benefit

If you are in the Malibu, CA area on Saturday, September 29th, then you may want to catch "The Best Medicine," a benefit concert for the City of Hope that will feature current "MADtv" cast members and alumni among its performers. Proceeds from the benefit will be used to fund breast cancer research, treatment, and education programs at the City of Hope. According to the information found here, the "MADtv" notables scheduled to appear include current cast members Michael McDonald, Nicole Parker, and Bobby Lee; "MADtv" alumni Mo Collins and Stephnie Weir; and writer Michael Hitchcock, best known to most "MADtv" fans as Simeon, the crazed announcer from the "Lillian Verner Game Show" sketches. "The Best Medicine" will be hosted by comedian Denis Leary, along with his band, the Crown Royals. Other comedians who will be present include Martin Short, "Bobcat" Goldthwait, Lenny Clarke, and Groundlings alum Tim Bagley. For your musical enjoyment (or not), the "My Sharona" boys themselves, the Knack, will also perform.

Another interesting connection with "MADtv" served as the initial inspiration for this benefit:
"Leary got involved in the project through his connection with Lauren Dombrowski, a breast cancer survivor and City of Hope patient. Leary and Dombrowski, co-executive producer for 'Mad TV,' both attended Emerson College in Boston and have remained friends.

While Dombrowski has long made people laugh, in 2003, her life took a serious turn. She arrived at City of Hope with stage 4 breast cancer after two years of failed treatments elsewhere. George Somlo, M.D., co-director of City of Hope's Breast Cancer Program, became her trusted physician.

'I knew right away that Dr. Somlo would give me the best care available,' Dombrowski said. 'But it was his quick wit and ability to make me laugh that really helped me the most.'

Today, Dombrowski does not fight cancer simply through the chemotherapy she continues to undergo regularly. She came up with the idea for 'The Best Medicine' as a way to battle the disease and support breast cancer research through humor, her area of expertise."
Lauren, we at Planet MADtv wish you and Denis continued success with your fund-raising efforts. Here's hoping that laughter can indeed be "the best medicine" as the search for a breast cancer cure continues.

"The Best Medicine" benefit will be held at the Malibu Performing Arts Center (in Malibu, CA) on Saturday, September 29th. The time listed for the event is 7:00pm, which one would logically assume is local time, or PST. (It translates to 10:00pm EST.) A silent auction for various celebrity items will also be held at the benefit. At any rate, if you have a chance to attend (and thus to catch the aforementioned "MADtv" notables in action), then please post a report for us!

"We can dig it!"

Old 09/30/2007, 7:17 PM
Totally F****able

There are some random pics of this on Mo's MySpace page.