Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04/23/2009, 1:30 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Default tvmanismadformad: Planet MADtv, the First Year

Today is a very special day for me. It was on this day 1 year ago, that I officially joined Planet MADtv. In order to do something special for this day, I decided to write this thread to tell all of you how I got hooked to MADtv, and how this little site changed my life up to now.

My first experience with MADtv was in May of 2001. We had just gotten cable for the first time, and this was back when MADtv ran reruns on TNN. My dad pointed it out to me because of Nicole Sullivan's role on the show. I had already been familiar with Nicole from her role on King of Queens, a show I was actively getting into watching. Though this was my first introduction with MADtv, I didn't really watch the show, due to the fact that I was 10, and a lot of the comedy flew over my head. I do remember a few things from those episodes, like the Lowered Expectations opening, and a vision of the Vancome Lady, the transitions for season 1, and the season 4 opening, but most of that is a blur. We had MADtv reruns for less than 4 months before they moved to E! Network (a network that was not received up here). It was not much, but none the less it was my first experience with MADtv.

Because these memories are faint, none of these can really be considered my first experience watching a full episode of MADtv. My first experience watching a full episode of MADtv came on September 21st 2002, watching the first airing of episode #802. I remember almost everything about this episode. This was probably the only full episode I watched when it aired until the 13th season, as once again, a lot of the shows jokes flew over my head due to my age.

In 2006 I was starting to take an interest in sketch comedy, but in Canada no network ran MADtv, or SNL in reruns. At the time I was watching SNL, because my family and their friends watched it. My dad had stopped watching MADtv after Nicole Sullivan left. A reason I always resented him for when I became a MAD fan. SNL was ok but there were so many times that I found myself saying "what the hell was that" when it came to their sketches. Then I had a feeling that whichever show could get actively (5 days a week reruns) into reruns on a Canadian network would be the show I would choose, and this is where my MAD love really started.

In 2007, Canada's Comedy Network bought MADtv episodes from season 8-10 to run on Friday nights. At first I didn't watch the show at all, because I kept forgetting it was on, but then as the new year dawned so did MADtv. In 2008, the Comedy Network started running MADtv from 4:30-5:30 Monday to Friday, just as I was coming home from school. As I watched the show, I found it quite funny, and like a tsunami wave, the comedy hit me fast, and brought me into the sea. By the end of March of that year I found myself always looking forward to the new episodes. The quality of the season 8-10 episodes was enough to get me through the obvious flaws of season 13. Little did I know that this was just the beginning of my MAD fandom

In late January of that year I was looking around for some good MADtv information. I came across an interesting looking site called Planet MADtv. The site looked fun and interesting, but I didn't sign on right away. Like other sites I've signed on to, I liked to look around first at how the site was before I got committed. On April 23rd, 2008 my love of the show was so strong that I could no longer deny the site, and I signed on.

For about the first month, I didn't do anything on the site. I only started contributing to the site after the final episode of season 13 was aired. When I first started, I must say I think I thought of myself as God's gift to the site. I was finding all this news on the show that was fairly new and I wanted to be the one to post it so badly, but that's not really how things worked on here. Only 2 members who were still active at the time (mizzimad, and Dart) could write those (P.S. Sorry to mizz for bugging him with constant e-mails in my beginning stages. At least you took my annoyances better than the other mod). One problem I had when I first began was wanting control. I wanted to be like mizzi or Dart. Now that I think about it, it's good I kept a bit of that spirit in me, because over that summer I would get responsibilities, and I would get them fast.

My first big successful venture on the site came on June 27th. A week earlier mizzimad reported on the departure of long time cast member Michael McDonald. In order to honour him, I created a timeline of when his characters began, and ended. The timeline went over huge. For the next month I did more and more of these for the long running cast members, and just like that, I made my first impact.

On July 10th, I completed my first transcript. It wasn't very good (at least not as good as my other transcripts) but I guess it was good enough, because 8 days later, mizzimad gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. The job of transcript editor for the site. Not knowing what I was getting into, I said yes. I'm glad I did, as during the summer, I kept my position busy by making countless of transcripts for the show. Transcripts that were not done during season 13. I was all ready to start doing transcripts for the new season, but after the first episode, my transcript writing days (for the next few months) were over, as by episode 2 I was given a newer, better duty to do, that would allow me to achieve my dream of having a little more control on the site.

By the second episode, episode summarizer JustG was having trouble keeping up with the demand for episodes. With the episodes needing summarizing, and JustG unable to do them a new person would have to be chosen. For this newly open position Dart (blackwind and mizzi had gone MIA by this point, leaving only Dart as the active moderator) asked me if I wanted to do them, and I agreed. After a rough start in which I managed to fail at writing 2 episodes, I got into a groove. I then started writing summaries for things like season 12, and the best of's. I enjoyed doing it then, I enjoy doing it now, and I will miss doing it in the future. With this new responsibility, I also became an official Contributing Editor. With this position I was now able to add content to almost any thread. On October 31st I started adding impressions to the lagging impressions spot, and more threads to the repository. I had reached a goal. The ability to add information to the site. Now that I think about it, maybe I should have focused more on something like stopping world hunger, or picking up trash off the highway, but hey, what ya gonna do (hands open with fingers facing out at shoulder level)?

Well, that's it. My entire Planet MADtv story up to now. I'd like to bring some credit to some of the great people I've met here. People like mizz, Dart, sean, MADfan, Scorp, tarza, StopThatTicking, edk, mad_life and more. I hope to have a lot more to add to the story. This is very much a to be continued story. What will the future hold? I will have to wait and see, but I am sure that it is going to be MAD!

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)

Last edited by tvmanismadformad; 04/24/2009 at 7:49 PM.

Old 04/24/2009, 2:59 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

OK.

Old 04/24/2009, 7:34 PM
Totally F****able

um............in love with ourselves much?

Old 04/24/2009, 7:47 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Geese I was just telling the story of my first year on here, how I got interested in MADtv, how much fun I have been having, and how much I appreciate everyone on here. How does that make me "in love" with myself?

Rise from the Dead!

Old 04/25/2009, 12:50 AM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Well, I guess I'll be the first one (and judging by the previous comments, apparently the only one) to say something nice here. That said, I *will* be taking a few comedic liberties along the way, all of which I'm sure the starter of this thread will appreciate.

Why, tvman, it seems like only yesterday that I was instructing you in the finer points of forum etiquette, all the while veering from pulling out my own hair to wishing I had a firm grasp on yours. (Now, now, it gets better. ) One year, seven thousand lashes, three hundred cases of bourbon, ten 72-hour stays at a nearby psychiatric ward, and many of your wonderful contributions later, I can honestly say that you have more than proved your mettle as both a Planet MADtv forum member and staff member. If everyone else had your dedication to this site, then....Well, let's face it: no one else will ever have your dedication to this site. Ah, but take it from someone who has turned OCD in a lifetime art form: there is no shame in this. Sure, there will be ill-timed spit wads aimed in your direction, rocks thrown at your skull, napalm hurled at you as you walk down the street, the occasional limb or five lost. (And this is just before noon!) However, when the going gets tough, the tough....Well, since I've never been tough, I can't help you there. Actually, now that I think about it, I should never have let that middle-school bully use my stomach as batting practice during P.E. Ah, you may have had twenty-plus years of freedom and laughs at my expense, Dennis Polomski; but one of these days...one of these days....Pow! A Hank Aaron special right in the Polomskis! You can run, but you can't hide; and when I'm through with you, you won't reproduce either. Huh? How 'bout them steamed apples, Polomski?!?

Ahem, where was I? Ah, yes, anyway, tvman, whatever frustrations I may have felt upon your arrival have in time been replaced by a never-ending respect for your consistent contributions to the Planet. I too look forward to seeing what the next year brings; and keep up the great work...well, you know, if you want to...no pressure or anything.

"We can dig it!"
Old 04/25/2009, 1:17 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Thanks mizz! I knew I could count on you to say some nice things while slamming me in the process! I think you have invented a new kind of writing. Saying something nice about someone while slamming them. We could call it nicmming!

Anyway, I'm glad I could lead you to your eventual white padded room and straight jacket. Maybe to commemorate this occasion I should e-mail you a question like if I can call you mizz. Even if you say I can't, I'll still do it anyway, because that's how I roll!

I really hope to bring a lot in the next year. I have a lot of irons in the fire. I will have to now because since the show is going bye-bye, it's going to be up to the mods like us, and the dedicated for life fans to keep the MAD love on this site going. I will try to keep it going until the well runs dry.

Thanks for the thanks. At least your nicer than some people who have desert bug in there name.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 04/27/2009, 10:31 PM
D2F

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 04/28/2009, 1:16 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Thanks NemesisDesign! I think this is the first time we've ever actually communicated with each other. Probably because you stay mostly in the off-topic forum, and I stay mostly in the MADtv sections.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 05/02/2009, 10:14 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i think its mostly cause pretty much no-one puts their autobiography on here choosing to instead have others shower them with praise...
*ahem*
oh and those that have been around for a while i guess..too..may feel they're more deserving of a um..thread party..thing..
*ahem*

yeaaaaaaah
Old 05/02/2009, 11:57 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

I wasn't doing this to shower myself with praises. I was doing this because I wanted to tell the story of my first year. I wasn't doing it for the praise, I was doing it for me. I really wish others could do this one here too. I think there are some people on here who have a lot more intersting stories than mine.

Rise from the Dead!