Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/28/2003, 7:00 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Post Episode #801 Review (OAD: 9/14/02)

Music Video Parody: “What’s on TV” - Parody of Eminem's "Without Me". Josh Meyers plays Eminem, Frank Caliendo plays Frasier. I liked this. The premise was good, it was kind of hard to understand at first, but eventually I understood it and found it to be a pretty funny way to kick off the season. Josh's Eminem impression is quite good, and pretty accurate, he nailed it pretty well. Frank's impression was funny too. Some of the parts here were very funny as well. And then at the end, "Eminem" raps: "this seems like a joke to me that this kind of $hit is on TV, there's only one show I want to see, and that's a show called 'MadTV'!" 4/5

Anna Nicole Show - A parody of the show on the E Network with cameras following Anna Nicole Smith around, a la "The Osbournes". Stephnie Weir plays Anna Nicole, Josh plays her son Daniel, Frank plays her assistant Kimmie, Michael McDonald plays her lawyer Donald, and Debra Wilson plays a child services officer. This was very good! Definitely one of the higher points of the show. This is one of the very few impressions that Stephnie does, and it’s a superb one – it’s very accurate, and very funny. Josh’s impression of Daniel isn’t that accurate, but it’s still hilarious. I also found it very funny that they had Frank play Kimmie, because she really is so butch. This sketch just shows a day in the life of Anna Nicole and her group. I give this a thumbs way up. As an added bonus, there was quite a lot of animation in this sketch as well, which is great to see because there was so little animation on the show in seasons six and seven. 5/5

AAA – Parody of the movie XXX. This parody is pretty similar to the movie parodies that “MadTV” did in seasons one and two. Ike Barinholtz plays Vin Diesel, Aries Spears plays his boss, and Jill-Michele Melean plays the Icelandic woman. Ike is very good here, and so is Jill; Aries is pretty good too, but not overly impressive. The part where Ike and Jill make out was funny, but they dragged it out way too long. And the end was kinda dumb. So it was one of the weakest sketches of the night, but still a pretty good one, largely due to Ike and Jill's performances.
3/5

Jenny Jones Show – The recurring parody segment of the show is back. Superb sketch, I would say the best of the night. Mo Collins plays Jenny Jones. The topic for the day was mothers whose sons are lazy SOBs. One woman (Stephnie) comes out, saying that her son just eats and sleeps all day. They bring the son out, who is a baby, and one audience member (Debra) starts screaming at him. The whole thing with him being a baby continues throughout the skit. At the end, two soldiers (Ike and Josh) come out to take the baby to boot camp, but are too charmed by him, that they decide to give him a makeover instead. An excellent effort, and a very good parody of the show at that, with very strong performances from all cast members involved. 5/5.

Celebrity American Idol Part 1 - The show is back with a "celebrity" edition, where washed-up musicians compete to get a contract back. The real hosts of "American Idol" are here, and so are judges Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson; Simon Cowell is played by Michael McDonald. Michael Jackson (Aries) is automatically eliminated. WHAM (Ike and Josh), Courtney Love (Stephnie), and Bobby Brown (Aries) then compete. When Bobby doesn't do so well, Whitney Houston (Debra) comes on stage and performs the song instead. Because the song that must be performed has to be a song in German about balloons with a number and color in the title, all of the contestants perform "99 Red Balloons". All the impressions here are very good, and it's funny to see each of the artists' unique recreations of the song. All Randy talks about is how he worked with Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston, Paula only gives compliments, and Simon only gives insults. I also really thought Simon's singing was very funny. Overall, excellent performances from all cast members and guest stars, with the exception of the hosts, who I found very annoying and unfunny, actually; Seacrest was very bad here, but Dunkleman was even worse, they act like twits. 5/5.

Ted Koppel Nightline Interview With Kelly Clarkson - Ted Koppel (Frank) interviews Kelly Clarkson. And that's it. I didn't see a punchline in here at all, it's just "American Idol" promotion. Frank's impression is only subpar because the part where he starts yelling sounds exactly like his John Madden impression; but the impression overall wasn't bad. The skit itself just completely SUCKED, it was terrible. Kelly Clarkson was godawful here as well. Calling the writing horrible is being too generous. A complete waste of time. But it was short, I'll give it that. 1/5.

Allen Iversen’s Basketball Camp - Sketch in which Allen Iversen (Aries) runs a basketball camp for white kids. He doesn't do much though, having the kids just buy him lunch and stuff like that. This skit wasn't great, but it had its moments. Especially when it showed how scared that little kid was when the guy and girl were having sex in the bunk below him. Aries wasn't too good, but I was actually surprised by all the extras here, especially the kids; they were very good here. This sketch overall was very weak, they thought they were being really sharp here, and they just weren't. But it was still watchable. 2/5.

Doctor Visit - A sketch in which a man with a badly stubbed toe (Ike) visits a doctor (Josh) to get help. This one is kinda hard to explain. The doctor keeps trying to sneakily break off the nail, at one point having the nurse (Jill) quickly snatch the man while he bites the toenail off. I'm not big on gross-out humor, but this hilarious! A very good sketch. 5/5

Celebrity American Idol Part 2 - The hosts say that the winner will be announced after they come back from the break. This was extremely short, the joke obviously was that it takes tons of commercial breaks for them to finally get to the point and announce the winner. This got me to laugh, but really not much to it.

“Arli$s” Parody - Spoof of the HBO show that seems to have been on forever, although nobody watches it and the critics despise it. Ike appears as Arliss, Bobby Lee makes his only appearance of the night as Rita, Aries as guest star Evander Holyfield, and Josh also makes an appearance. This was very good as well! All performers here were great, with the exception of Aries whose impression was kind of weird, but Bobby was hilarious - he had some very funny lines and made a bunch of funny gestures as well. The joke about the show was basically that it has strange humor that nobody understands, and that HBO had to include merchandise from all of their hit shows, and things like beer just to get you to buy the box set. Again, an awesome sketch, I really enjoyed it. 5/5.

Celebrity American Idol Part 3 - Basically the same as Part 2, except Whitney is so impatient she screams "Damn!! What the..", and they cut her off right there. Which made this funnier than the first time they said they would announce the winner after the break.

Close: Winner of Celebrity American Idol – Rather than a close with everyone on stage, they announce the "winner" of the Celebrity American Idol, which was Whitney Houston, although she wasn't really one of the contestants. When she wins, there is a duet between Kelly and Whitney, but Whitney keeps stopping Kelly from singing, so she just sang the whole song itself. This was very funny as well, mainly due to the Houston impression. Glad to see they're adding another sketch in the show than just gathering everyone on stage, which IMO was a waste of time when they could've aired another sketch. Thumbs up, again. Kelly was still bad here, she brought down the grade for the sketch, but Debra was very good. 4/5.

Overall – This is one of the weaker season premieres, but this was still a pretty impressive show, it was very fun and it was much better than a good-sized bulk of season seven's shows and a lot better than most season six shows. There were a couple bad ones, and the Koppel/Clarkson one bombed, but the majority of this episode was really good, and, like I said, very fun. Guest stars Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson were good here, but the other guest stars were terrible. Debra, Aries, Ike, and Josh dominated the show here, who all were very good here, except Aries, but he was still okay, most of his appearances were his not-too-impressive impressions so that brings him down; but 1Frank, Bobby, Mo, and Jill barely appeared. Ike and Josh were brought into their first episode with great results, they seem to have a bright future on the show, and I must add that Josh is much funnier than his brother Seth on "SNL". I'm glad to see that Will Sasso, Alex Borstein, Andrew Daly, and Taran Killam all gone, being the weaker of the cast members last year (Will was ƒucking horrible), but unfortunately Kathryn Fiore, who left before last season was over, decided not to return despite her being very well-received by fans. All in all, the show had its ups and downs, but the ups definitely outweighed the downs by quite a bit. I also noticed that there were NO recurring character sketches in here, which shows that "MADtv" isn't overly dependent on them, which is good. That doesn't mean I hope that there are very few recurring characters this season, I'm just glad to see that don't overly depend on them like they did from seasons 4-7. I'm very impressed with "MadTV" to include an "American Idol" parody with tons of pressure from FOX, and they succeeded very well for the most part (the only exception being the horrible Kelly Clarkson interview). And I'm impressed to see no Encores here, and no musical performances here as well, and no closing on stage where basically nothing happens, they had 100% new material wherever they could fit it in. Still, something felt like it was missing here, I guess it was the cast changes just felt different. This season looks promising, here's hoping the show gets even better than this or at least stays consistant with this level of quality. 8/10.

Old 03/01/2003, 5:00 AM
Get down tonight!

Default Re: Episode #801 Review (OAD: 9/14/02)

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87

Celebrity American Idol Part 1 - The show is back with a "celebrity" edition, where washed-up musicians compete to get a contract back.
It's funny they should use this idea for a sketch as there is a real show currently in developement in the UK in which has-been popstars compete for a potential recording contract. Gina G is one of the contestants.

P.S. Good review.

Old 03/01/2003, 6:50 AM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Who is Gina G? lol I could understand why they would have her on it then.

Thanks too
Old 03/02/2003, 4:20 AM
Get down tonight!

I think they're going to be using English popstars, but making the show in USA where none of the stars were known to begin with.

Gina G is actually Australian, but once came 7th in the Eurovision Song Contest (representing UK). Like I said, has-beens and B grade ones at that.

Old 06/09/2003, 9:01 PM
0ld sk00l

Quote:
Kelly was still bad here, she brought down the grade for the sketch
Well Jeez what do u expect? SHe isnt an actress! llol

My Fanfics