Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04/27/2003, 7:24 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Default ARCHIVE: TVGuide.com Chat w/ Michael & Andrew (1/25/99)

Dug up another chat transcript for you guys!
Andrew Bowen and Michael McDonald
January 25, 1999

TV Guide: Hey kids! Andrew Bowen and Michael McDonald from Mad TV are here to chat.

Andrew: Hi, it's nice to be here.

SweetOne_15F: What characters do you play on Mad TV?

Andrew: I play Keanu Reeves, Nicholas Cage, Toby Braga, Brad Pitt, Charlie Sheen, Christian Slater, Christopher Walken, etc.

Michael: I don't really do impressions but I have "Stuart" and "Rusty" and an old man named "Happy Folger".

Big_Pappa12: About how long does it take to film one Mad TV show?

Andrew: It boils down to one show per week.

Regurgitator_69: Hey how long has your show been running? Coz here in Australia it only started in the last couple of months.

Andrew: We are on our fourth season which means that they are just at the beginning of the show. You'll have about 4 years of it since we're on our 4th season. We do 25 per year so there are a 100 or so episodes in the can.

horrorguy14: Did you guys attend any special schools to strengthen your comedic abilities?

Michael: I went to the Groundlings theatre.

Andrew: I don't have any prior training at all! I did more film/commercial work than comedy. This is my first foray into that.

WildEyedSouthernBoy75: Do you all ever feel that your competing with SNL? Do you think you are funnier than them?

Michael: I don't really think of us as competing with them and I really think they're funny and good friends of mine.

Andrew: We are our own show and we both have our strengths (and our weaknesses).

salmon_n_swiss: How do you keep yourself from laughing at your own jokes? They are so funny!

Andrew: A second take! Sometimes it's very hard. Sometimes they leave the laughs in though.

Michael: If you watch the show close enough you can see us breaking up... they usually cut away but you'll see it.

s0806: Which guest star do you plan on having next on Mad TV?

Andrew: Brett Hart coming up which is going to be very cool (no details yet). Tyson Beckford is coming this week. Also Robert Goulet is going to show up too.

ClueLeo: How did you guys get the idea for Stewart on Mad?

Michael: I did it on stage a long time before I did it on the show at the Groundling Theatre.

ToBrNo2B: What comedy venues do the producers of Mad TV find their talent at?

Andrew: I don't believe they search out people. I believe it's more a casting process. People come into the office and audition.

Michael: But they have had a few from the Groundlings.

mj711mitchell: What is the part about Mad TV you enjoy the most?

Andrew: Rehearsals. I think there's a certain amount of loose fun that happens between everybody. We let loose. The pumping. It is a fun time for me personally.

Michael: The paycheck!

chefgrfx: What cast member makes you laugh the hardest?

Andrew: Michael McDonald!

Michael: And Andrew Bowen! LOL!

Both: Everybody's funny.

TRU_504_Soldier: If you were able to go back in time and start Mad TV over, what would you do with it? Would you have more stars? What?

Andrew: I'd go back and put myself in at the beginning!

Both: Then we'd call it the Michael and Andrew show!

thx_guy: Are there plans to spoof Star Wars when it comes out in May 1999?

Andrew: Yes, we actually spoofed a little last week (taped - will air soon) with Hans Solo.

Michael: Featuring Andrew Bowen!

Andrew: Next year we will dive into spoofing SW. It will be ripe for the pickings!

Baby_Blonde_314: Andrew you are so fine! Will you marry me and let me have your kids? PLEASE?

Michael: Andrew already has enough children around this country.

jeremy_076: Are you good at improvisation, or are you better at stuff that's already written?

Andrew: I happen to be on an improv show Mon-Fri 10:30 on FX.

Michael: He is the improv king.

winki_40: The cast seems so crazy. Do you guys play jokes on one another?

Both: No.

Michael: Nobody in the cast can TAKE the joke. All comedians are very sad and angry.

Andrew: Except Me.

Michael: I said "comedians".

hotstuff_240: Do you have any tips?

Both: On what? On cooking? Wear a condom, hotstuff. hee hee...

la_cajun2_98: I just want to say that I think the cast of Mad TV is the greatest and I really look forward to laughs on Saturday after a long hard week! Thanks for being such great comedians!

Both: Thank you for being so astute. No, thank you so much for watching and hope you watch every week.

mj711mitchell: I was wondering, do you have any plans for changes in the show?

Michael: We don't have any control over that.

Andrew: Nothing major. Just keep on trying to make things funny.

thx_guy: What was it like working with Sandra Bernhard?

Andrew: She is incredibly smart and funny and I thought she would be kind of nasty, funny or mean, but she was really nice and smart. She was hilarious.

Michael: And smart!

sdlil85: What is your favorite sketch?

Andrew: The one Michael was in with Nicole Sullivan about the oral sex thing. Called "Head of the Family". It made me laugh the most so far.

Michael: I don't have a favorite. I have a lot I love. Mostly the ones with the characters.

Dummy736492: Do the cast members have a lot of influence on what material goes into the show?

Both: Yes.

loserbait: How is it like, working with such a tremendous team of people such as Debra, Nicole, Mary but especially Phil?

Andrew: Well Loserbait, it's fantastic.

Michael: It's a very humbling experience to be around that much talent.

Andrew: And Phil owes me money!

chefgrfx: If you could have any guest star on the show, who would it be, and why?

Andrew: I would have Nicholas Cage on the show because I've impersonated him and would love to have a chance to engage him in a comedic scene. Possibilities limitless on how funny it would be.

Michael: Mike Myers. That's a good one. The man!

duster57: Hey is that one hot chic on there single?

Michael: Nicole? Or Debra? They're all pretty hot. Nicole may be dating somebody, not sure.

Michael: Two of the ladies are married.

Andrew: And two are not able to keep a man. (kidding!)

TV Guide: Andrew, Michael — thanks for being here! Do you have anything you'd like to say to your fans?

Michael: Thanks for watching!

Andrew: Ditto! LOL! Have a nice day.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson

Old 04/27/2003, 7:33 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Interesting how Andrew Bowen thought he would return come season 5. I wish he did, he's a lot better than some other people who have been promoted to perminants and were on for a few years.

Old 04/27/2003, 8:10 PM
Regular

I thought Bowen was pretty dull, and one of the reasons I don't like Season 4.

Old 04/27/2003, 8:18 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
Interesting how Andrew Bowen thought he would return come season 5. I wish he did, he's a lot better than some other people who have been promoted to perminants and were on for a few years.
I liked Andrew. Too bad they didnt bring him back.

Old 04/27/2003, 8:19 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

He was the weakest of the season 4 cast...but Stephnie was not well-liked (Andrew was at least liked) and look how big she eventually grew! And to blame an unenjoyable season (in your opinion) on one cast member who wasn't bad (maybe he wasn't "good" but he was average at least) isn't really fair. But I guess we all are entitled to our own opinions. Season 4 was great in mine and so was he !

Old 04/28/2003, 1:15 AM
Regular

I wasn't blaming my entire dislike of the season on him. I'm just saying he was ONE of the things I didn't like about it. I don't think Season 4 was terrible, but I thought it was kinda weak and it's my least favorite of the first 5 years.

Quote:
maybe he wasn't "good" but he was average at least
That's my problem with him. He was too "average" and didn't stand out to me, except for maybe a few good impressions (Nicolas Cage). Though I at least tolerated him more than Michael McDonald (who I can't stand).

Old 04/28/2003, 1:51 PM
It SaYz NiPpLe HoUnD!

OMG! You can't stand Michael McDonald?????

Old 04/28/2003, 4:25 PM
I'm Content With Losing

That's his opinion.

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream I’m in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As we’re laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november
Old 04/28/2003, 4:57 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

I find Michael annoying in the "angry man" roles.

Old 04/28/2003, 8:32 PM
It SaYz NiPpLe HoUnD!

The ONLY time Michael is annoying is when he plays Rusty. That character really gets to me sometimes. He should hurry up and retire it already!