Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09/03/2004, 11:48 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Thumbs Down Impressions/Characters that should be retired

What characters and impressions are you sick to death of seeing?

Here's my list:

CONNIE CHUNG: Her show was cancelled like 2 years ago and she still appears...give it a rest.

STUART; Without Mo to play Doreen, this character doesn't do much for me anymore. And besides, he turns 7 years old this year.

AVERAGE ASIAN: We get the joke. It's simplistic you keep doing it over and over again. We're not all 12.

DRAMA QUEEN: I have just never found this character funny enough. I think she needs to do more physical humour and less chit chat for her to be funnier.

DOT: Without Karen, Dot ends up more in weird Alice In Wonderland situations than be the alter ego to the brainiac twin. And they hardly play up the annoyance she provides to the father anymore.

SHAQ: Like most of the athlete impressions Aries does, this one is too stupid and should go.

Old 09/04/2004, 12:02 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Drama Queen is great. She's the only character that can consistently be relied on for great monologues on the show, which are very rare these days. And besides; she barely appears anyway. Dot sketches are, for the most part, always funny IMO, and I like them better without Karen. The ones with Karen always seemed to follow the same format. The difference between Stuart and Dot is that a big portion of the comedy in Stuart sketches came from Mo, whereas Stephnie carries Dot sketches herself, with or without Michael as the father. I think perhaps they could do one final Stuart sketch at the end of the season, with Mo as a guest star, but I wouldn't like to see anymore with "excuses" as to why Doreen isn't there.

IMO, they need to STOP doing Connie Chung. It hasn't been relevant since early Season 8, and it hasn't been funny in a long time. The need to stop doing John Madden and Rod Roddy too - out of respect for Rod, and just because the John Madden sketches are pointless. Frank is talented enough to do many other impressions and if they must bash celebrities 20 times per episode, they could at least use some new impressions. Average Asian, to me, is funny. Not spectacular, but they are always cleverly written and pretty funny.

I would like to see them stop doing Kim Jong Il also. All they use that impression for is to somehow weasle Bobby Lee into episodes that he normally wouldn't be in. Not clever, not funny in my opinion. They also need to cut down the number of that Asian Translator sketch they do with Bobby. Blech.

Hopefully they won't run the new good impressions into the ground. Clay Aiken, Ellen Degeneres, Renee Zellweger; all impressions by 2 of my favourite cast members, but they get put into the most pointless and irrelevant sketches. If they are going to use them, I hope they use them in smarter sketches and not as often.

But remember, the castmembers, writers and producers don't really have a say in what we see. Alot of the material is decided on by the Network Executives, and I'm sure the cast get sick of doing the same characters over and over again.

Old 09/04/2004, 1:04 AM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Default Re: Impressions/Characters that should be retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog

DRAMA QUEEN: I have just never found this character funny enough. I think she needs to do more physical humour and less chit chat for her to be funnier.

DOT: Without Karen, Dot ends up more in weird Alice In Wonderland situations than be the alter ego to the brainiac twin. And they hardly play up the annoyance she provides to the father anymore.
Couldn't disagree with you more there... These characters are great.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 09/04/2004, 2:37 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Yeah, Average Asian is simplistic, but so what? Keep it.

Anyway, get rid of...

DOT: Her sketches are very inconsistant. Sometimes they're funny (Dot on Oprah), sometimes it's okay (Dot Spelling Bee), but more often than not, it just flat out sucks (Dot and the Missing Glove, Dot: Not a 24 Sketch)

BAE SUNG: Now, that's a simplistic sketch. "Uh-oh, hot dog! Uh-oh, hot dog!" Give me a f*cking break.

STUART: I don't believe I'll be saying anything someone else hasn't already said.

Old 09/04/2004, 2:48 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by MADfan2004
DOT: Her sketches are very inconsistant. Sometimes they're funny (Dot on Oprah), sometimes it's okay (Dot Spelling Bee), but more often than not, it just flat out sucks (Dot and the Missing Glove, Dot: Not a 24 Sketch)
Dot Spelling Bee was VERY funny to me. Even Dot and the missing glove was okay, but I agree that it was probably the worst Dot sketch. It is completely unfair to call Not a 24 Parody a Dot sketch. She didn't even say anything in it! To me she was actually the funniest thing, I just watched what she was doing in her screen and she got her gum stuck in her hair

Old 09/04/2004, 2:54 PM

Default Re: Impressions/Characters that should be retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
What characters and impressions are you sick to death of seeing?

Here's my list:

CONNIE CHUNG: Her show was cancelled like 2 years ago and she still appears...give it a rest.

STUART; Without Mo to play Doreen, this character doesn't do much for me anymore. And besides, he turns 7 years old this year.

AVERAGE ASIAN: We get the joke. It's simplistic you keep doing it over and over again. We're not all 12.

SHAQ: Like most of the athlete impressions Aries does, this one is too stupid and should go.

I agree with all of those.... I don't really care about Shaq, but I agree that without Mo, Dot and Stuart don't have much to go on..... They could meet each other, but I can't think of a single other scenario where Dot could be alone (or just somewhere with her dad). Bae Sung annoys me, I'm sorry to say.... But it's true.
Old 09/04/2004, 11:40 PM
Remember me?

i this is my list-

Bae Sung- Annoyed me from the start...progrssively got more awful and repeptitive as the season went on. There was no real substance to it anyway, it was just a guy who couldn't speak english or translate........not much to work with.

Stuart- Theres a time when a character has gone a little too far.......gotten old u might say LOL. I used to like it, like everyone else probably did BUT even if Mo was still in the cast i'd want this character gone. Its just annoying and repetitive. You can tell michael's even sick of it.....and thats just sad

Funkenstien- Never funny, really annoying, goes on way too long every time, run into the ground only in one season, awful acting and a crappy attempt at another dolemitesque sketch. I HATE this sketch. ..........................a lot

Wayne Brady- Not funny anymore, theres not much to do now that his shows over anyway. All airies had to work with was that he seems gay. not much to work with IMO

in addtion i really don't want to see the taco hell sketch become recurring i hated that sketch more then any sketch i've ever seen on the show. it was awful
Old 09/04/2004, 11:56 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Dani

Yes I agree. I never liked it to begin with, and they has it in SO many episodes this season.
No, they had it in 3 episodes this season. I'd hardly call the *SO* many. Personally, I like Funkenstein sketches and I hope they do more. There are many different horror movies they could parody.

Old 09/05/2004, 1:20 AM
Remember me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Cockhurtz
No, they had it in 3 episodes this season. I'd hardly call the *SO* many. Personally, I like Funkenstein sketches and I hope they do more. There are many different horror movies they could parody.
true, but u have to admit that they go on for way too long...it gets old. Plus isn't more of a 70's film style parody then a horror movie parody?
Old 09/05/2004, 6:38 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

I think Season 9 provided alot of good new recurring stuff, like the 7am Condo Report, Lillian Verner Game Show, Abercrombie and Fitch (Which has probably, and should be put to rest), Funkenstein etc. I just hope they are as creative with *new* stuff this season and don't keep repeating the Season 9 stuff all the time, considering there aren't many actors on the show anymore that have a barrage of indvidual characters that they can rely on to fill episodes (with the exception of Michael and Stephnie).

Quote:
Originally posted by madOC112789

true, but u have to admit that they go on for way too long...it gets old.
I don't have to admit nothing! LOL, just kidding. I've only seen the first and second Funkenstein sketches; the first being my favourite, but I didn't think they were that long, and I've seen much, much longer sketches. I don't mentally block out sketches either, or skip them (The first time at least) I always let them conclude, because sometimes all a sketch has going for it is the pun or joke at the end.

Quote:
Plus isn't more of a 70's film style parody then a horror movie parody?
70's Film isn't a genre, it's an era. If you look at all the Funkenstein sketches, they've parodied Horror Movies (Not neccesarily from the 70's), ie. Blackula (Dracula) Bride of Funkenstein (Bride of Frankenstein), Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde, Werewolves, the Invisible man etc. There are other horror movies from lots of decades they could parody - like the Mummy, Witches, Creature from the Black Lagoon (White Lagoon? lmao) etc.

Quote:
in addtion i really don't want to see the taco hell sketch become recurring i hated that sketch more then any sketch i've ever seen on the show. it was awful
That's too bad, that was one of the most popular sketches of the season. I'm sure we'll be seeing that recurred. What was so bad about it anyway? Keegan and Daniele were hilarious!

I can't believe people want Dot sketches to end! In the words of Dot "Are you nuts!?!?". Mo never really had anything to do with those sketches anyway, and Dot didn't disappear just because Alex left, infact, IMO, they got better after she left. I agree that they are somewhat inconsistant, but I think they've ALL been funny, although to varying degrees of hilarity. I hate to beat a dead horse here (Again, for like the 10th time today even) but if Dot continued past 20 of her own sketches (not including tiny ass appearances like "Hey MAD!" and "Not a 24 parody) and continued for as long as Stuart has, I'd definitely want to see it end. It's too bad that as long as people are demanding "More Stuart! More Dot!", the show will probably continue to churn them out.

Old 09/05/2004, 11:02 AM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

How could you even recurr Taco Hell to begin with? The joke is over... Taco Bell has completely ruined Mexican Cuisine and he's mad about it. Whats left to do?

Old 09/05/2004, 11:14 AM
okay :|

Quote:
Originally posted by ef_7
How could you even recurr Taco Hell to begin with? The joke is over... Taco Bell has completely ruined Mexican Cuisine and he's mad about it. Whats left to do?
Other eating establishments??

Old 09/05/2004, 11:49 AM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

IMO, it will just be the same old joke... just leave it as a One Off

Old 09/05/2004, 9:55 PM
Remember me?

i hope you're right it should be kept as a one off anyway, i hated it because keegan was being overly obnoxious with an accent that was annoying and it seemed to never end. danielle with her small small part was the only one who made me laugh hehe.
Also i think that sorority row should end too....its not the same without the original characters IMO
Old 09/05/2004, 10:23 PM
Sorry, I don't eat Cat!

Yes indeed.

SORORITY ROW: Dead now. No more Mo makes it dead. No 4th female cast member either.

BAE SUNG: I find him funny *wonders how much actually laugh whe one of his sketches comes on*

STUART: If and only If, Mr. Muckenthaler is still used, I can see Stuarts popularity maintain itself until season 10 is over. Even with Mo, the sketches seem the same.

TACO HELL: Well, I just saw this on Saturday and I liked Danielle Gaither better than Leagan. But remember when Drama Queen first aired, it was a bomb in my opinion but they continued it anyways. So the Taco Hell guy may return in "Hell Taco!" (Del Taco).

DRAMA QUEEN: I want to push her off a cliff so bad. Too bad she isn't real.

Old 09/05/2004, 10:55 PM
His senses were dimmed

I can't really think of who drama queen is. Unless its Mike as that girl with blond hair screaming "this is BULL****"

I liked Abercrombie beause I only saw baby abercrombie and the one with Bobby Lee so its not repetitive yet. Since Josh is gone it might be dead tho.

For some weird reason I think Geert is done. lol

I wouldnt care if I never see another Bobby lee recurring character again. He is not funny at all.

I think it's time to end "Real Mother******* Talk" too. They just try to get laughs by swearing and its gotten old.
Old 09/05/2004, 10:58 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by ~TJ~
I can't really think of who drama queen is. Unless its Mike as that girl with blond hair screaming "this is BULL****"
Thats Andra, Drama Queen is Stephnie's character, aka Dorothy Lanier

View Post Old 09/07/2004, 5:09 PM
Andres
This message is hidden because Andres was banned from the site.
Old 09/07/2004, 6:28 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Andres
I think Sority Row should go, Marvin Tikvah, Connie Chung and Rob Rodny.
Its Rod Roddy

View Post Old 09/07/2004, 6:44 PM
Andres
This message is hidden because Andres was banned from the site.