Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Movies
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09/07/2010, 1:29 AM
D2F

You tend to watch a lot of the popular, popcorn kind of movies it seems was all I meant.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent

Old 09/17/2010, 11:18 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

45 Minutes into Scott Pilgrim.

Shoot me.

-------------------------------
"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 09/17/2010, 11:32 PM
D2F

I watched American Beauty. Overall I liked it but the messages in it were a bit heavy handed and probably didn't deserve all the praise it got but it was still good.

I also watched Gandhi the other night. I forgot how great Ben Kingsley is and I also can't believe how no history class I've ever taken has covered India's history in the least.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 09/18/2010, 9:09 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

stfu morgie. don't make me come ovah thar.

Old 09/18/2010, 11:01 AM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanian View Post
stfu morgie. don't make me come ovah thar.
Please do, we can make paella, snort some rails, and scissor.

But yah I finished it and, ugh.
I dunno, *I* just did not like it. It was distracting because it was essentially fighting itself to tell two stories, and I wasn't very interested in either.

The one story was the typical "Michael Cera tries to get the quirky girl."
That was a shallow story at best, you don't get much into the character of Ramona Flowers except that she's a remorseful "bitch" licking her own wounds.
(Scott is also a bitch, using his poor annoying Asian school girl g/f for an ego boost.)

But then there's this whole, "League of Exes" story that doesn't even make sense except as a vehicle to showcase fighting, video game style. And I am not a big action movie person anyway, so shitty "fight" scenes are not my thing.

Also, wtf was up with the end? Ugh. That was a case of too many ideas and only an hour 45 to play them out. There's A LOT of nuances I could go on about, but I won't, I know i'm like the only person in the world that hates this movie so i'll give you all that satisfaction of not picking it apart any further.

I will however say this, Kieran Culkin was easily the best part of this movie.

Scott Pilgrim is best left as a comic.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 09/18/2010, 3:57 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Alright here we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitaPockets View Post
But yah I finished it and, ugh.
I dunno, *I* just did not like it. It was distracting because it was essentially fighting itself to tell two stories, and I wasn't very interested in either.
You have to take into account that he's fighting for her. He's fighting to save her from being controlled by Gideon, and trying to finally rid her of her bad past so she can live without it haunting her where ever she goes. That's why she likes him.

Quote:
The one story was the typical "Michael Cera tries to get the quirky girl."
That was a shallow story at best, you don't get much into the character of Ramona Flowers except that she's a remorseful "bitch" licking her own wounds.
(Scott is also a bitch, using his poor annoying Asian school girl g/f for an ego boost.)
I've said this to so many people. Yes, Michael Cera plays his typical "Michael Cera tries to get the quirky girl." role, but he plays it better then at any time in his career. Also, they could have picked so many people to do this role. Jesse Esenburg, Jay Baurichele, it wouldn't have been the same, as Cera was the best choice because he looks like what Scott Pilgrim looks like in the book. Believe me, if they had hired anyone else, everyone would have been saying "why didn't they hire Michael Cera for this. He would have been perfect."

Also, what do you mean they don't get much into Ramona's backstory. They get into it a lot. That's a good portion of the movie. She's someone who has dated so many people but always dumped them when things got too real, or when the next hottie came along. That was the case except when Gideion came along. She was obsessed with him but he didn't pay attention to her until she finally got him to date her, but she found herself more alone with him then she ever was on her own, so she ran, and that's when Gideon noticed her, and gathered up the "League of Evil Ex's" to get rid of Scott and control Ramona's love life. That's another reason why she likes Scott. He's fighting for her.

Quote:
But then there's this whole, "League of Exes" story that doesn't even make sense except as a vehicle to showcase fighting, video game style. And I am not a big action movie person anyway, so shitty "fight" scenes are not my thing.
I explain the League thing above.

Quote:
Also, wtf was up with the end? Ugh. That was a case of too many ideas and only an hour 45 to play them out.
What was the problem with the ending, the ending was great.

Quote:
There's A LOT of nuances I could go on about, but I won't, I know i'm like the only person in the world that hates this movie so i'll give you all that satisfaction of not picking it apart any further.
Please go on, I can defend almost every part of this movie.

Quote:
I will however say this, Kieran Culkin was easily the best part of this movie.
I agree and disagree with this statement.

Quote:
Scott Pilgrim is best left as a comic.
This however, I don't agree with.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)
Old 09/18/2010, 5:51 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

It really boils down to the story, and I just wasn't into it. I don't think it has to do with me not liking Cera or the books or not being an avid player of video games. I just was not into the story. I was not into the life as video game form it took.

I saw Ramona as a flighty serial dater that needed to be attached. I saw Scott as a flighty, whiny, pain in the ass. I don't think a character like Gideon would go through all that trouble because once he had her, he would stop caring. And, as they were trying to paint Ramona as a somewhat wiser version of her former self, trying to start fresh, would she really fall for that shit again?

As far as format goes, I feel like there was hardly any transition in the movie. I only read two of the comics and then I got bored, but through that form, you have more control. Smushing (7?) books into under 2 hours just muddles a story. And that's me DEFENDING the actual story, and why I think it plays better as a graphic novel or comic or whatever they're calling it these days.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 09/18/2010, 6:29 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
I don't think a character like Gideon would go through all that trouble because once he had her, he would stop caring. And, as they were trying to paint Ramona as a somewhat wiser version of her former self, trying to start fresh, would she really fall for that shit again?
Gideon never cared in the first place, but started caring after she left him. I think he thought he was too good to be dumped so he didn't accept it. Also, she didn't fall for Gideon again, Gideon attached a mind control chip to her head, and got into her head. She didn't fall for it, she was brain washed.

Quote:
As far as format goes, I feel like there was hardly any transition in the movie. I only read two of the comics and then I got bored, but through that form, you have more control. Smushing (7?) books into under 2 hours just muddles a story. And that's me DEFENDING the actual story, and why I think it plays better as a graphic novel or comic or whatever they're calling it these days.
This was really a part I felt a little wishy washy about. In one way I did feel the movie didn't have a lot of transitions and was trying to pack it all into one movie, but in another way I feel that if they did focus on each ex seperately, the movie series would have been too long. For example, I can't think of a way they would have been able to turn someone like Roxy's story into an hour and a half long movie. It may have been better to make this a 2-part movie like Kill Bill but when you look at the fact that the movie didn't do well at the box office they most likely would have not made the second movie. So when that's put into accout, it's not that bad that this was one movie.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 09/18/2010, 7:23 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmanismadformad View Post
Also, she didn't fall for Gideon again, Gideon attached a mind control chip to her head, and got into her head. She didn't fall for it, she was brain washed.
See, I took that scene literally at first, then figuratively, then literally again. Either way it was a bit ridonkulous.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 09/19/2010, 12:28 AM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Last night I saw Toy Story 3, which I hadn't seen yet. It was amazing, yes. That's pretty much all I can say about it. It was awesome. But I wouldn't expect less from Pixar.

And I FINALLY saw Scott Pilgrim tonight. I liked it, and I enjoyed the diversions they took from the graphic novels. My only real issue is, since they were adapting six books into one two-hour movie, the pacing ran too fast at parts, and there wasn't enough breathing room in between the first six fights. I'm trying to look at the graphic novels and the movie as two different things, but the movie could have really used some more moments like the novels had where Scott and Ramona do normal couple things, instead of constantly arguing about the exes. Which is not to say that the arguing about the exes all the time wasn't appropriate or perfectly fitting for the film, but some breather moments would have really helped hit the "running from your past/starting a new life" thing home better.

I will, say, though, I did like the movie version of Scott was a lot better than the graphic novel version. Maybe it's because I'm (probably one of the only ten people who is still) a fan of Michael Cera, but his more subdued acting really made Scott a much more bearable character, and the movie version seemed a lot more sympathetic. Also, I liked how there was more of a struggle between picking Knives and picking Ramona. There aren't really any moments in the graphic novels where Knives is anything more than the crazy girl obsessed with Scott, and while she's still very much that, there are points in the movie where I actually thought he would pick Knives, and there's never a moment like that in the graphic novels.

Old 09/19/2010, 12:34 AM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmanismadformad View Post
I've said this to so many people. Yes, Michael Cera plays his typical "Michael Cera tries to get the quirky girl." role, but he plays it better then at any time in his career.
I agree, but I think that's just one of the unfortunate side effects of casting Michael Cera. People are gonna think it's like that, but that's exactly what the books were about.

Quote:
Also, they could have picked so many people to do this role. Jesse Esenburg, Jay Baurichele, it wouldn't have been the same, as Cera was the best choice because he looks like what Scott Pilgrim looks like in the book. Believe me, if they had hired anyone else, everyone would have been saying "why didn't they hire Michael Cera for this. He would have been perfect."
Well, I don't know about that. Scott Pilgrim in the comics is very loud and upbeat and hyper, while Cera's style is more subdued, laid back and woobie-ish. But like I said, I think Cera's style works better here because the movie Scott is more likable than the book Scott in that respect.

I agree with the rest of your post, too.

Old 09/19/2010, 12:43 AM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADfan2004 View Post
the pacing ran too fast at parts, and there wasn't enough breathing room in between the first six fights. I'm trying to look at the graphic novels and the movie as two different things, but the movie could have really used some more moments like the novels had where Scott and Ramona do normal couple things, instead of constantly arguing about the exes.
That's what i'm sayin you.

A quick side note while we're talking SP, there's a contest on DeviantArt to design an 8th evil ex or whatnot? Well, the winner goes to my school and apparently only entered for the money/doesn't care for the movie/books.
My fb is literally blasting up with angry status messages by the SVA animation/cartooning majors (aka nerds.)

Imma tell you right now, they will find out where she dorms and there will be a flaming bag of poo involved.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 09/19/2010, 3:11 AM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

meh i won't argue with any of this stuff.i can see why people would not enjoy this movie,even though i really liked it a lot.
One of the things i think best translated from comic to the movie was how the music was played out and its role in the film.Obviously its in the comics but having it all brought to life is another thing again.

Onto something else...wtf is "catfish"??? i saw the dudes that made it on ellen and apparently theres some major twist that u can't have ruined for u and now i'm curious to see the movie cause i want to know wtf this twist is...without getting spoiled before i get a chance to see it.I doubt it'll even release here tho
Old 09/19/2010, 5:01 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
See, I took that scene literally at first, then figuratively, then literally again. Either way it was a bit ridiculous.
Yeah, I actually let out a little bit of a "what?" at this part. I kind of wish they elaborated on the science of this chip and how Gideon was able to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzapam View Post
Onto something else...wtf is "catfish"??? i saw the dudes that made it on ellen and apparently theres some major twist that u can't have ruined for u and now i'm curious to see the movie cause i want to know wtf this twist is...without getting spoiled before i get a chance to see it.I doubt it'll even release here tho
I read a summary of this and saw the trailer and I am really interesting in seeing it. The movie is an independent film that is apparently (people doubt it, but it is confirmed true apparently) a true story about a guy who meets a girl on facebook. Seeing that something special is about to happen, his brother, a documentary filmmaker decides to film the thing which he thinks might very well become a story of meeting that special someone via facebook. Over time the guy apparently becomes friends with the girls entire family, but after getting a message from her that contained a post of her singing live on Youtube, that he figures out is a fake, and not her, he breaks off all contact with her. His brother, not wanting to have his film end like that, convinces him to go to her house in rural Michigan to meet her, and that is apparently where the twist happens.

I read about the twist on the internet and even then I thought it was very confusing. Apparently it was the most talked about film at Sundance, and it got caught in a bidding war when director Brett Radner recommended it. One critic said that this is the best Alfred Hitchcock film that Alfred Hitchcock never made and people are also saying that it will make you think differently about anybody you talk to on the internet. I think it's coming to my theatre next week, and I really want to see it.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 09/19/2010, 10:02 AM
Resident Movie Snob <3

I had gotten an invite to go to a screening of CATFISH on the day I had two teeth pulled.
I was so seriously thinking of going, but I was drooling blood and in so much pain I probably wouldn't have gotten much out of it.

It really piqued my interest, even though I know it's like The Blair Witch Project. Not the subject matter, but the way it's being marketed.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 09/19/2010, 2:51 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Speaking of screenings, I really want to see It's Kind of a Funny Story
The screening is during a class. But if you are near any of these cities, you should go and I will be mad jealous of you.
http://filtermagazine.com/index.php/...screening_rsvp

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 09/19/2010, 2:56 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Yeah I want to see Funny Thing too. It looks pretty good. I'm interested in seeing Emma Roberts in this film. She looks really hot in the trailer, and since this is her first non kid role (I think) it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 09/19/2010, 2:57 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

I will watch anything Zack Galifinakis is in

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 09/19/2010, 3:01 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Yeah I'm really starting to like him. Due Date looks like it's going to be really funny. I know it's probably just a Planes, Trains, and Automobiles rip off, but it still looks pretty damn funny.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 09/19/2010, 3:04 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Yah, that one looks great too.

I can't believe we're agreeing on movies and NO ONE brought a camera.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04