Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/03/2005, 7:27 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

Saw A History of Violence on Friday. It sucked

do not waste your time or money on that piece of shit movie

Old 10/04/2005, 8:53 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Well, my sattelite reciever is being replaced so I had no tv today!
So I went through my DVDs and watched The Lion King.
Yes, i'm 19. But you can't deny The Lion King is a good movie. Even if you only see it as a "kiddie movie."
I still get misty-eyed during the stampede scene. I'm such a dork.
Great story (based off Hamlet), awesome animation and catchy tunes! One of the last great animated Disney classics.
If you haven't seen it, you're a lying bastard!

-------------------------------
"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 10/05/2005, 6:27 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

I saw The Corpse Bride again today. I still love it. =)
I also saw the preview for the movie The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. I think they're doing all the Chronicles of Narnia. Should be interesting, if nothing else.
I almost forgot, saw another preview of a movie I want to see, Fun with Dick and Jane. Looks hilarious.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 10/05/2005, 6:46 PM
0ld sk00l

Quote:
Originally posted by lpshean
I recently watched (okay, it was yesterday), The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Imma sucker for horror movies. Anyway, id give it a 7/10. It wasnt a full horror movie per se... more like a courtroom drama i'd say. but interesting one nontheless.

The preview was REALLY scary, but the actual film isnt as scary though. but either way, i would recommend it. Not a bad film, nor was it outstanding for me.
I agree totally on everything you said. I liked it too.

Didn't you think the whole scene where she bent backwards looked weird..? like they messed up the effects or something..?

My Fanfics
Old 10/05/2005, 9:36 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

Quote:
Originally posted by Knickers

Didn't you think the whole scene where she bent backwards looked weird..? like they messed up the effects or something..?
Sounds like a ripoff of The Exorcist to me.

I watched The Station Agent last night and loved it. Great movie, greaat acting by the entire cast.

It's about an anti social dwarf who inherits a station depot and his new found friends try to get him to come out of his shell.

Patricia Clarkson deserves an Oscar. She was amazing in this and in Pieces of April...hopefully one will be on her way soon.
Old 10/06/2005, 11:29 AM
I'm watching you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Knickers

I agree totally on everything you said. I liked it too.

Hmm. I thought it was okay. Didnt seem like anything wrong. But freaky though.
Old 10/08/2005, 5:10 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

I saw Good Night And Good Luck today...

I saw it because of the Oscar buzz surrounding it & the good reviews and because Alex Borstein is in it (which I wanna add, she has a small role but is in the entire movie!)

The movie was good. I liked it, but the pace of it went sorta slow.

It was interesting. I never knew about the McCarthy guy or what went on with that so it was informative too.

Great cinematography, sound, makeup & costumes too...

I give it 3 out of 4 stars.
Old 10/09/2005, 6:59 AM

I watched "The Crow" last night on TV. First time I saw it and I think it was really good. Did they have to use a bodydouble on the movie after Brandon's death? 4/5

Religion is like farting: we like our own but hate everyone elses.
-Homer Simpson
Old 10/09/2005, 9:52 AM
What the...?

I saw The Naked Gun last night for the millionth time. I love that movie to death. Leslie Nielson's great.

I saw The Godfather recently. This has to be one of the best movies I've seen. Marlon Brando's performance is a must see. The baptism scene really got to me.

Why girls like the A's (Screaming Girls)
Old 10/09/2005, 2:08 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Originally posted by Claypool
I watched "The Crow" last night on TV. First time I saw it and I think it was really good. Did they have to use a bodydouble on the movie after Brandon's death? 4/5
Yeah they did.
I remember a "making of" featurette and they showed how they did certain scenes with the double.

Great movie. Sad though.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 10/09/2005, 2:12 PM
WHERE'S MY BROTHER?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Caffeine King
Saw A History of Violence on Friday. It sucked

do not waste your time or money on that piece of shit movie
What are you on? That movie was amazing. I didn't want to see it at first because I thought it was being marketed as a horror movie, but looked like crap. I went to see it, its not a horror movie, nor crap. It was very good. I'd reccommend it.

Cake. It comes in flavors like chocolate and regular.
Cake. DON'T FORGET THE FROSTING.
Cake. Share it with a friend.
[/color]

Old 10/09/2005, 4:16 PM
D2F

Alright so I saw The Interpreter last night. I absolutely hated this movie. It was like a thriller that doesn't do anything in the way of thrilling. Sean Penn is in it but he plays the detective with a shattered home life cliche. I don't know. Some people liked this movie but I found absolutely nothing compelling about this movie. It followed a standard 3 minutes of excitement followed by half an hour of plodding dull storyline. The storyline isn't at all hard to follow or complicated, don't get me wrong. I'm actually finding very few aspects of the movie I can even talk about, because its just one of those movies that doesn't stick with you. All in all I would definitely not reccomend this movie.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 10/17/2005, 8:25 PM
D2F

I saw Elephant just now. This movie was really intense. It follows a few key students in a high school around for a day and then the story becomes about these other 2 kids that are making a plan to shoot a bunch of their classmates. Its really haunting the choice of music they used and the lack of music in some parts and the way the kids conducted themselves. I found it especially disquieting the way they just bought their guns online no problem and killed their classmates so unfeelingly. I would reccomend this movie, but be forewarned that there is certainly no happy ending to this one.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Old 10/19/2005, 9:12 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

This afternoon I watched M*A*S*H, the movie the (now syndicated) show is based on.
It's follows members of a mobile army hospital unit during the Korean War as they try to live day to day without going nuts. This includes some reather mean pranks to more serious officers.
The main character is Captain "Hawkeye" Pierce. He's played by Donald Sutherland. He's a real wise ass and not as manic as Alan Alda's version.
It was like... Full Metal Jacket meets Animal House
I watched the show way before this movie but I don't think I was too bias. It was good. It was funny.
I prefer the show because it was more entertaining. I know thats a stupid reasom b/c wars aren't entertainment but...well you get it.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

View Post Old 10/19/2005, 9:26 PM
Snake Pliskin
This message is hidden because Snake Pliskin was banned from the site.
Old 10/23/2005, 10:48 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

I'm watching as many horror/suspense/thrillers I can possibly can this month, and there's plenty in October.

Oct. 9th to the 23rd

Psycho (new)
Hitchcock's favorite Momma's boy, Vince Vaughn style. It's actually a Pretty accurate remake. No big changes to the story. They even used the same score. People will think i'm nuts but, I personally thought it was well done. It's a bit difficult to think Vince Vaughn's a convincing Norman Bates, but he is. Anne Heche plays Marion Crane. Julianne Moore plays her sister.

Hocus Pocus
Okay, Okay. First off, i'm sure you've seen it. This is a Disney movie about Witches. It's quite lighthearted, at the most it may spook a five year old. It's funny and like all Disney movies, it ends with a 'Happily Ever After. Even though it doesn't match up with these other movies, my friends and I love it and it's on my list of Halloween movies.

Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave
Just when I thought they couldn't make any more "Living Dead" movies, I see this one on SciFi. It's actually a Horror/comedy. College kids make a rave drug that just so happens to zombie-fy the user. Two bumbling Interpol police and a handful of students are left to fight off a rave of the brain eating undead. A movie that makes fun of itself and past reincarnations. Good, in a bad way. heh

Intensity
This is based on Dean Koontz book. I'm not into his books really, mostly long detailed nothingness with a sex scene in the middle thats 5 pages too long. But this story...it's got that disturbing quality you hoped he would spew out one day. Even this (originally made for tv) movie is great. It's about a psychopathic killer (pre-'Scrubs' John C McGinly). It's a great great movie and story.

Darkness
This movie was creepy, but confusing. A family relocates to a house that has a dark history of a cult and the deaths of children. It's effecting the family, especially the father and son. The story is a bit off, but creepy ghost children always seem to make everything a bit more frightning. The cinematography, effects and timing make this otherwise boring movie watchable.

The Amityville Horror (original)
A family moves into a nice house on Long Island that was once the scene of a family murder. The house comes complete with flies, bloody walls, a ghostly imaginary friend and a passageway to hell. Although it's not particularly good by my standards, it is a classic Halloween must see. (A nurse I had lived in Amityville and we've seen the house before it was remodled. There's alot of myth but it's not that scary really.)

‘dishon (Audition)
Japanese horror that actually starts out like a Meg Ryan movie! A producer holds a mock audition with the hopes of finding a wife. He starts seeing a woman that pops out of nowhere and is surrounded by mystery. This movie is very intricate and needs to be watched start to finish and then some. Alot of mind games going on in the mivie. The end scene was actually cringeworthy. I loved it.

Ginger Snaps
The title sounds like an adult film from the 70's, but it's a horror movie from 2000. For a movie involving teens and a werewolf, it's actually quite clever. The changes Ginger goes though as she becomes a werewolf and the changes she goes though as she becomes a young lady paralell eachother. This movie doesn't try too hard and I like that they don't always show all of "the creature" and it makes it more frightning.

Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed
Starts off shortly after (I assume) the events of the first movie. "B" is on the run from both the taunting apparition of her sister and a male werewolf. After an attack by the creature, she finds herself in a rehab. Intent on getting out, she escapes whith Ghost, a twisted young girl facinated with Bridget. It all makes for a crazy ending that was unlike anything I had expected. As far as horror sequels go, this was pretty good.

Mary Shelly's Frankenstein
My favorite movie version of 'Frankenstein'. It's story is the closest to the book and I think it's an incredible. I have never felt so frightend by a character one moment and sympathetic the next as I have watching this. It really brought out the emotion and humanity the Hollywood's Frankenstein was always lacking. Robert De Niro really impresses me as the monster,and Kenneth Branagh plays a great egotistic and foolish Doctor Frankenstein.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 10/24/2005, 4:09 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

I watched this indie called Dark Days, I think it was on Sunday...

It's a documentary about this group of homeless people who live underground in the tunnel of the Amtrak train below NYC.

It was so sad, moving, touching, and at times a bit funny.

I felt especially bad for this one homeless woman named Dee who is struggling with a drug addiction who tells the audience that she went to jail and while in jail saw on the news about a house fire and her two boys were in it and died.

It was so sad watching her say that she wishes that it was her and not her two kids and that everyday she misses the responsiblity of having kids and having someone there to love and nurture.

I also felt bad for this kid (about 18-20 years old I'd say) who ran away from home (I think he said when he was 16, or maybe I'm imagining things..) because his alcoholic, dope head father would beat on him, his mother, and three sisters and his mother didn't care. He lived in one of the shacks with his 4 dogs (a mother and her four babies.)

The film had a hopeful and uplifting ending, most of the homeless people got on Section 8 and were able to get [nice] apartments.

If you ever see Dark Days in your Blockbuster, rent it...you won't regret doing so.
Old 10/24/2005, 4:35 PM
I'm back, bitchesss!

The last movie I watched was...

"The Fog"

Some people say it sucked. Some people liked it. Me, personally, I'm more on the liking side. Now it's not my favorite movie, and it's not the scariest movie I've ever seen, but I didn't think it sucked. The story was pretty good. But at the end I was like, "Woah, WTF just happned?" And during the movie they had flashbacks, which take me awhile to catch on if it's a flashback or present time. For some reason, the trailer looked a lot scarier than the actual movie. At one point though, I got so scared that I teared up. Lol. It was an Ok movie. 5.9/10

Member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 10/24/2005, 8:34 PM
D2F

Ahh Pita must have been watching IFC at the same time as me. I saw Ginger Snaps and part of Ginger Snaps 2. Good stuff. Oh and I recently saw Audition. I found the scene near the middle with the bag actually made me jump. Good stuff.

Alright so I've been watching a crapload of movies lately. This afternoon I watched a movie called Barton Fink. I've been on a bit of a Coen brothers bender lately so I decided to give this movie a try. I'm finding that I really enjoy a lot of the movies made by the Coen brothers. This movie is about a writer that moves to hollywood named Barton Fink who gets writers block in his hotel room. It sort of follows him in his attempt to get past his writers block. The story is chock full of irony as Fink goes on and on about writing cinema for the common man, and in the process ignores the only common man he comes in contact with regularly. I'd reccomend it.

I watched Code 46 on Saturday. This is a really odd little movie starring Tim Robbins. Essentially its a movie based slightly in the future where theres an 'Inside' world in Shanghai china and an outside. The outside is impoverished and the inside is really prosperous. Tim Robbins is an investigator who is trying to find out who is giving away forged immigration papers. The movie deals with some really heavy issues like governmental inhumanity, cultural diversity and to some extent, cloning..sort of. I really liked how everybody spoke 1 language in the movie, a mix of english, spanish, french, chinese, etc .

Lastly, in film class we watched The Man Who Wasn't There by the Coen brothers. I LOVED this movie. Its a neo-noir movie starring Billy Bob Thorton. The thing in this movie that really stood out was the incredible lighting/shadow effects. The director of photography should have definitely win something, every scene looks absolutely stunning. Frances McDormand does a great job in this movie and, though it may seem a little weird of me, I find her to be absolutely stunningly beautiful in this movie. The story follows this barber, Ed Crane as his life spins out of control by no fault of his own. GO WATCH IT.

Thats about it for now, I'm going to go watch another Coen bros. film, Blood Simple, I hope its good.

Old 10/24/2005, 9:56 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Frances McDormand does a great job in this movie and, though it may seem a little weird of me, I find her to be absolutely stunningly beautiful in this movie.
Have you seen Fargo? She's stunningly beautiful in that too.

I've seen a sh!tload of movies since the last time I posted in here, but not all of them are worth mentioning so I'll just list a few.

I was bored out of my mind last weekend so I started going through my video and DVD collection, watching whatever stood out to me. I was in a "musical" mood for a while, so first I watched one of my favourite musicals: The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It just never gets old. I've seen parts of various shows on the net and on tv, but I would kill to see the musical performed live. I'd love to go to a midnight screening also.

After that, I watched one of the very few romantic comedies I can stomach, which also happens to be semi-musical: The Wedding Singer. As far as on-screen duos go, Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler have the kind of natural chemistry that all the romantic comedy whores like Jennifer Lopez wish they had with their on screen partners. I don't like many of Sandlers movies, but anything he does with Drew Barrymore is worth watching in my opinion.

Aaaand rounding out my musical affliction is ANOTHER one that ranks highly for me, A Mighty Wind. This is the most recent mockumentary by Christopher Guest, about three folk acts that reform to perform a tribute concert for a recently deceased folk icon. This movie is like fine wine (figuratively speaking, as I don't drink wine because it tastes like feces) as it gets better with each viewing. It's not an in-your-face comedy, and the songs the groups sing are so well written (by the cast, I might add) and performed that if you didn't know it was a parody of 60's folk music, you might think this was a real documentary (which is kinda the whole point, I guess).

Anyway, Jennifer Coolidge and Michael Hitchcock (Simian) have some of the smallest roles, but they also have some best moments in the movie. The best performances come from Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara as Mitch and Mickey (their characters were so well recieved that they were invited to perform "A Kiss at the end of the Rainbow" at the 2003 Oscars), Harry Shearer as a gender confused bass player and Fred Willard as the manic "Wha Happened?" guy. I highly recommend this movie to everyone, and if you don't like it the first time, do me a favour and watch it again. And again. AND AGAIN.