Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Movies
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09/18/2005, 11:06 PM
Not a fighter a writer

The Last movie I watched in The Theater was Just like Heaven last night.I really enjoyed that movie alot it was cute.And on DVD Mean Girls.I finished watching Mean Girls a little while ago.

Heroes,Private Practice,Greek, Ugly Betty,Grey's Antomy, Pushing daisies,Gossip girl are all great shows.

Country Music, and 80's and 90's pop is great music

Old 09/19/2005, 4:48 PM
WHERE'S MY BROTHER?!

This weekend I saw Cry_Wolf in theaters. I've been waiting for this movie since before there was a teaser trailer lol. I was pleased with the movie. I thought it was entertaining and the two twists only dissappointed me slightly. I hate when people think a horror movie is going to suck just because its pg-13. But, if you see this movie you'll understand me whne I say there was no way it would be R unless there was a like.. rape scene or something. Thats horrible I know but you know what I mean. Its not even a slasher flick really..

I also got to go to one of the lucky 459 theaters the movie Venom was in. My advice, don't waste your time. Its a bore of a flick. It seemed rushed out by the film company like they didn't give a sh*t about it.

Cake. It comes in flavors like chocolate and regular.
Cake. DON'T FORGET THE FROSTING.
Cake. Share it with a friend.
[/color]

Old 09/20/2005, 9:38 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Last night I watched my DVD of Donnie Darko with the commentary by director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal.
Donnie Darko is a great movie about the mechanics of time and destiny and how changes occur within it.
Like Eternal Sunshine... it may need more than one viewing to fully understand it, but when you do, you'll love it.
The commentary was ok, somehow I hoped there would be a crazy revelation I would get from it, but not really. They talked about everything from paradoxes to the budget problems.... and Jake does an impression of Frank the bunny if the role was played by Christopher Walken.
All in all, very entertaining.

-------------------------------
"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 09/21/2005, 7:41 PM
WHERE'S MY BROTHER?!

Quote:
Originally posted by PitaPockets
Last night I watched my DVD of Donnie Darko with the commentary by director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal.
Donnie Darko is a great movie about the mechanics of time and destiny and how changes occur within it.
Like Eternal Sunshine... it may need more than one viewing to fully understand it, but when you do, you'll love it.
The commentary was ok, somehow I hoped there would be a crazy revelation I would get from it, but not really. They talked about everything from paradoxes to the budget problems.... and Jake does an impression of Frank the bunny if the role was played by Christopher Walken.
All in all, very entertaining.
I LOVE both of those movies.

Cake. It comes in flavors like chocolate and regular.
Cake. DON'T FORGET THE FROSTING.
Cake. Share it with a friend.
[/color]

Old 09/21/2005, 9:38 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Originally posted by LookWhatICanDo
I LOVE both of those movies.
Same here

I watched Thirteen earlier. Now that's an angsty teen if there ever was one! If i descibe it, it'll sound really cheesy "after school special" so here's what IMDB.com says:

At the edge of adolescence, Tracy is a smart straight-A student--if not a little naive (it seems...she smokes and she cuts to alleviate the emotional pain she suffers from having a broken home and hating her mom's boyfriend, Brady.) When she befriends Evie, the most popular and beautiful girl in school, Evie leads Tracy down a path of sex, drugs and petty crime (like stealing money from purses and from stores). As Tracy transforms herself and her identity, her world becomes a boiling, emotional cauldron fueled by new tensions between her and her mother--as well as, teachers and old friends

Great cinematography. Well played story. It's some pretty heavy subject matter so, don't watch this if you're looking for the "Feel Good Hit of the Summer."

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 09/22/2005, 2:16 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by PitaPockets

Same here

I watched Thirteen earlier. Now that's an angsty teen if there ever was one! If i descibe it, it'll sound really cheesy "after school special" so here's what IMDB.com says:

At the edge of adolescence, Tracy is a smart straight-A student--if not a little naive (it seems...she smokes and she cuts to alleviate the emotional pain she suffers from having a broken home and hating her mom's boyfriend, Brady.) When she befriends Evie, the most popular and beautiful girl in school, Evie leads Tracy down a path of sex, drugs and petty crime (like stealing money from purses and from stores). As Tracy transforms herself and her identity, her world becomes a boiling, emotional cauldron fueled by new tensions between her and her mother--as well as, teachers and old friends

Great cinematography. Well played story. It's some pretty heavy subject matter so, don't watch this if you're looking for the "Feel Good Hit of the Summer."
Yeah I liked Thirteen...Evie pissed me off! What a manipulator! And Tracy was such a follower. lol but I still liked it.

Anywho, I watched Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead the other night. I've actually seen it like a million times, but I like it more everytime I see it. It's very unrealistic, but it sucks me in everytime. Definitely one of my favorites.
Old 09/22/2005, 5:55 AM
Where's My Money!?

Quote:
Originally posted by elscorcho

Anywho, I watched Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead the other night. I've actually seen it like a million times, but I like it more everytime I see it. It's very unrealistic, but it sucks me in everytime. Definitely one of my favorites.
I Love that Movie and have the DVD "I'm right on top of that, Rose!"

Kenny Rogers CS2 CHAMPION: Want sumthin' done right, Gotta doooo it yourself!
Young People, be less picky about who you screw cause it all feels the same in the dark

Jasmine Wayne-Wayne: Je ne sais quoi = I am an Indian.
England?......Where's That? I miss the Money

WILL SASSO IS THE KING OF MADtv
Old 09/22/2005, 3:37 PM
D2F

Ok, first off I'd just like to say: Viper, your avatar is tEh sex!

Ok so yesterday on HBO I happened upon a movie called Thunderheart starring Val Kilmer and then some other people that nobody has ever heard of. I was really impressed with this movie. Its about a guy who is 1/2 Siouxe (sp?) Native American and he works for the FBI and is sent to investigate a murder. THe town he is sent into along with his other white FBI colleages is sort of torn apart because its home to a lot of rednecks and a lot of Native Americans. Over the years the Native Americans have become reaquainted with and proud of their heritage because the white people that live in the area treat them so badly, so they feel the need to kind of seperate from that culture.

Anywho, not to ruin the story on the off chance that somebody will see this movie, but I will continue. Val's character is kind of struggling because he is torn between a really wise tribal police officer who truely wants to find out who murdered one of his own and the FBI, who seem like they don't give a damn if the Native Americans get the houses shot up every day. He also begins to realize his heritage and think more about his prorities.

Oh reah right now I'm watching a movie called Broken Glass. Its pretty lame so far. Hayden Christensen is an almost distractingly bad actor. He is damn lucky he got picked to be in Star Wars.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 09/25/2005, 7:47 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Yesterday I went to see The Corpse Bride
From IMDB.com:

Victor (Johnny Depp) is getting married to his fiancee Victoria (Emily Watson). Practicing for the wedding, Victor puts his wedding ring on a finger-shaped stick in the ground and says his wedding vows. The stick turns out to be a rotted finger belonging to a murdered girl (Helena Bonham-Carter), who returns from the dead and insists that she is now Victor's lawfully wedded wife.

I loved this movie, and I think if you like Tim Burton films you'll like it. But my praise for this movie is in the Corpse Bride thread so, i'll shut up now.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 09/25/2005, 8:59 PM
<3 True Love <3

The Latest Movies I've seen were...

The Princess and the Pauper...Yeah I watched a Barbie Movie...YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT!?...but I have an excuse...I was babysitting and my cousin wanted to watch it...eh it's okay...but King Dominic ....lol sorry...

I also Saw Red Riding Hood Which is a Decent movie...twas worth my 5 bucks I guess....it was a bout this girl whose father was killed when she was young(you see how he dies in the beggining) and she grows up to "be like" her father by killing people that did un-moral deeds....IMO the Plot is grand...but the main character's(jenny) Acting was terrible in some parts.....so Plot=Grand...acting=Could've done WAY better...i was shocked that I haven't heard of it before...all I can say is if You are looking for a "horror" movie...and I say that in quotes meaning "not expecting much" then go ahead see it...

I also saw Dark Harvest...the acting was better in this one..but like in the part where Shaun(the main character) is convincing his friends they have to leave...twas kinda crappy IMO....the cover of the DVD reminded me of Jeepers creepers 2(with the whole scarecrow theme)...but again the Plot was good...if only it had better acting though...again it's a "horror" film...and the only reason I would really watch it again would be to see the Creatures and the blood...some parts confused me though....but whatever..twas cheap and I didn't expect to piss my pants from it So I couldn't complain....

Over all...The Princess and the Pauper would be the only one worth watching time and time again out of these three....

*disclaimer: this post is not intendid to offend male homosexuals due to it's flamboyancy...any discrepencies from this post need be discussed in a pm to the poster thank you!

Old 09/29/2005, 6:01 PM
D2F

Well I've been in the habit lately of watching IFC when I get home every day from school. Sometimes the movies I watch aren't really worth writing about but I just saw a movie called Basquiat. Its a sort of biography about an artist in New York that did this really ultra abstract strange artwork. Im really not a fan of the style of art that he did, but I found the movie really interesting. It kind of showed how the art world works and I found it interesting how Basquiat kind of floated through life. Its a hard movie to describe. I'd reccomend it.

Oh and right now im in the process of watching a movie called Waking Life. I'm only about 15 minutes in but I find it absolutely fascinating. Its an animated movie and so far it seems like its about this kid that goes around and hears sort of philosophical discussions going on from all sorts of different people. The thing that is fascinating about this movie so far is that its got amazing art. It goes from this strange sort of posterized art to black and white sketchy sort of gestural artwork to ultra distorted. Any fan of interesting sort of indy animation should check it out. I can't seem to take my eyes of the screen. Good stuff

OK so edit: Walking Life was an incredible movie. Go watch it. Its got amazing art direction in it but the different philosophies and soforth are the real reasons to watch this movie. I'm extremely impressed.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Last edited by NemesisDesign; 09/29/2005 at 7:34 PM.
Old 09/29/2005, 7:22 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

I watched some of Our Song today and really liked what I saw.

I also saw The Corpse Bride last Saturday and didn't find it to be all that great....7 out of 10 for me
Old 10/02/2005, 1:24 AM
0ld sk00l

Today I watched two movies:

The Butterfly Effect: Truly amazing movie..I had no idea it would be so great..to tell you the truth, I didn't even know the plot. Ashton Kutcher did a superb job, as well as everyone else..except the mother kinda was like..ehh..but that didnt bring the movie down at all. Had so much thought put into it, and it really made you think. I highly reccomend it.

Monster: The most depressing movie I've seen in a long time..Wow..Charlize really deserved the oscar for her performance..she pulled off the hooker/lesbian/serial killer so well. I laughed sometimes though because of the **** she said was so god damn funny like when the guy told her everyone else went to college and she was like "**** YOU! (throws papers) GO **** YOURSELF! (bumps into secretary) AND **** YOU LESLIE!" lmfao. I reccommend this to anyone who likes really depressing stories, but really good ones.

My Fanfics
Old 10/02/2005, 2:01 AM
D2F

Well this morning I watched Whale Rider. Since Morgie already talked about it, Ill just concur and say it was really good.

Alright so this evening I watched Pi. I made the mistake of watching it with my parents who have short attention spans when it comes to movies like this. Overall I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the ultra sharp black and white contrast it was filmed in and I thought the movie documented the main character's descent into madness very well. I really don't think the final meaning of the movie was terribly deep or insightful, but it doesn't make the movie any less enjoyable. Pi is a decent rental, I was fascinated by how it was filmed.

Old 10/02/2005, 5:05 AM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Yesterday I put on The Godfather with Marlon Brando and Al Pacino.
Even if you haven't seen it, you still know the story (vengence turns Michael Corleone from a war hero to mafia don), you know the quotes ("I'll make him an offer he can't refuse") and if all else fails, you've seen a celebrity talk about it on MTV: Cribs.
That's how classic it is.
Although that doesn't make it a particularly great movie.
It's very intense, but I find their version of the mafia to be too poetic and surreal. Like I said, its a classic, so it's a movie you have to see for the sake of seeing it, but i'd rather watch Goodfellas or Donnie Brasco.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 10/02/2005, 5:08 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

I liked The Godfather...

But I'd rather watch Scarface.

Old 10/02/2005, 5:18 AM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Boys...

Heheh, kidding...

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 10/02/2005, 1:12 PM
Casual Fan

Default movies

The last movie I saw was The 40 Year Old Virgin.
I have seen it several times actually.
I think this movie is the funniest movie I have watched in a long, long time!!
Plus MO rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She is the best part of the whole movie in my opinion!!!!
Old 10/02/2005, 4:40 PM
D2F

I forgot, yesterday I watched Dodgeball because it came on HBO. This absolutely has to be the worst movie I have seen in recent memory. I understand not to take Ben Stiller comedy movies too seriously, but it wasn't even remotely funny. The whole movie seemed like the directors/writers were just lazy and trying to churn out another piece of crap in the hopes it would catch on. I'm highly disappointed.

Last night I watched The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys. I enjoyed this movie. Its sort of a coming of age movie I guess you would call it. Its about this group of 4 kids that go to a very strict catholic school where Jodie Foster plays their mean nun teacher. Intermittently, the movie is interrupted with cartoons which are supposed to play out an episode of the comic book that these kids are writing together. The cartoons draw parallells to what they are experiencing in their lives. I personally found the movie really depressing because it kind of shows that all american childhood/teenage years thing. It kind of bums me out that mine didn't really play out in the same way, but I'm sure thats just me being irrational. Near the end there are some serious tragedies that hit the 4 boys. Pretty darn good little movie, I'd reccomend it.

Lastly, this morning I watched I Heart Huckabees. I think this movie was one of the big film companies attempt at an 'offbeat comedy'. I found this movie really incoherant. There were some funny parts, but I think that if they were trying to make any serious philisophical statements, they sure as hell didn't do a good job of it. I got really impatient with the movie towards the end. I would definitely not reccomend this film.

Old 10/03/2005, 2:23 PM
I'm watching you.

I recently watched (okay, it was yesterday), The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Imma sucker for horror movies. Anyway, id give it a 7/10. It wasnt a full horror movie per se... more like a courtroom drama i'd say. but interesting one nontheless.

The preview was REALLY scary, but the actual film isnt as scary though. but either way, i would recommend it. Not a bad film, nor was it outstanding for me.