Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12/06/2003, 1:48 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Default Annoying Recurring Jokes

Are there any jokes that MADtv keeps making that REALLY get to annoy you after a while? One down side about season 8, 9 is that they keep making certain stabs at pop culture that are so stale now. This includes...

-Michael Jackson anything (how he touches little boys)...
-Dirty priests
-Kobe Bryant
-R. Kelly
-Britney/Christina/Madonna/Jewel being whores

I don't mind them making these cracks once in a while but it gets to be so annoying by the sixth or seventh time...

Old 12/06/2003, 2:46 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

They make fun of whatever is hot topic. And all those things you listed continue to linger in the celebrity world...

Old 12/06/2003, 4:26 PM
Totally F****able

Yeah, but when you hear it week after week it gets old and boring, the parody and the joke is no longer funny...

Old 12/06/2003, 4:46 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Yeah, but every other show does it too. SNL, Letterman, Leno, etc... Thats just how it works, but I agree, it does tend to get annoying after a while...

Old 12/06/2003, 5:08 PM
0ld sk00l

I agree with MD. In two differen't Reality Check Sketches, they made practicallly the same joke.

"Look at you lustin after that picnic basket. It's like R. Kelly starin and lustin after a pampers commercial"

"OOh girl this plane makes more stops than R. Kelly's limo in a preschool Parkin lot!"

Comon now! Think of new stuff. The newest episdoe when they said " CBS doesn't want to say goodbye to everybody loves raymond.. but Ray does!" that was funny.. have more things like that!

My Fanfics
Old 12/06/2003, 5:10 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Default Re: Annoying Recurring Jokes

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
-Dirty priests
-Kobe Bryant
-R. Kelly
-Madonna being a whore

I agree with all of those. The reason why I excluded Madonna from the others is.. it's been 20 years that this joke has been made. You can't reinvent this joke as many times as Madonna can reinvent her looks.

As for Jewel.. I actually thought "Prostitution" was hilarious! It was spot-on.. she used to be all indie folk rock.. and then this last album, she went all pop and you can even see it in her song titles (i.e. "U + Me = Luv"). It was SUCH a bizarre change, and it almost seemed like she regressed (more often, pop artists try to move closer to being taken more seriously).
Old 12/06/2003, 5:16 PM
0ld sk00l

OMG i was watching VH1 today, and they were talking about the "new jewel" and they said that jewel told everyone that her video was "a parody" of how videos are like that nowadays or something..But you could tell it wasn't a joke. Comon now! Thats like how Michael Jackson said that he only had 2 plastic surgeries!

My Fanfics
Old 12/07/2003, 1:00 AM
Right-wing rocker

Default Re: Annoying Recurring Jokes

Quote:

-Britney/Christina/Madonna/Jewel being whores
It's probably just me, but I NEVER get sick of jokes about how slutty Bitchney is. I hate her, and she is a whore.

I have no problem with Christina, Madonna, or Jewel, so those get old after awhile. And the others I agree with too. It's funny once, MAYBE twice, but after that it's too many.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 12/07/2003, 1:01 AM
Right-wing rocker

Quote:
Originally posted by DaNiKsTa48
Comon now! Thats like how Michael Jackson said that he only had 2 plastic surgeries!
LMAO!

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 12/07/2003, 1:59 AM
Totally F****able

Even Madonna is having trouble selling the same package after 20 years..........

I mean meat does eventually rot and have to be thrown out.

Old 12/07/2003, 7:21 AM

You don't have a problem with Christina, really?

I mean, she has pipes.. but she overuses them. Even doing "Like a Virgin", she had to go "touched for the very first time" in all sorts of octaves and adding her own sounds and stuff.. and, I mean, it's not a fukkin power ballad!

Plus, she's just a bitch. I recently saw an article, with a bunch of celebrities that had problems with her, because of the way she treated them.. i.e. Pink, Kelly Clarkson, and I think even Jon Stewart had a conflict with her. It was really pathetic

As for Madonna.. she will bounce back. People pronounced her over in '92, and it sure seemed like she was heading down that route.. but she survived, and managed to reach new highs w/ her career too ("Take a Bow" from '95 is her most succesful song ever, followed by 2000's "Music" and "I'll Remember" from 1994).

She's not doing so hot.... in America. The whole "American Life" thing turned a lot of people off here. Two main pop stations here, Q104.1 and KIIS 96.5, said that Madonna is "temporarily banned on our playlist, sorry." just as Jethro Tull are right now. Actually, a girl (an extremely Republican one that doesn't really understand what she's saying in politics, but anyway) said to me yesterday "I really liked Madonna until her stupid thing about American life."
I'm sure she will pick up again.. when she moves on to something else, and people aren't so damn touchy like they are nowadays. I don't think this thing is potentially permanant, as the Dixie Chicks may have gotten it.

Check the overseas stats though.. she's still going strong and consistant.
Old 12/07/2003, 7:21 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
The reason why I excluded Madonna from the others is.. it's been 20 years that this joke has been made. You can't reinvent this joke as many times as Madonna can reinvent her looks.
True, but that's not really what they are making fun of most of the time. What's funny now is that she can't sell like she used to and it's amusing to watch her desparate attempts at trying to gain some publicity. She's making herself look like an idiot, but it's not like it's the first time.

It's funny, her latest album featuring unreleased songs, remixed American Life material, her gap Commercial, her stuff w/ Christina and Britney, etc. didn't even crack the top 100 on Billboard.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 12/07/2003, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat_Named_CeCe
True, but that's not really what they are making fun of most of the time. What's funny now is that she can't sell like she used to and it's amusing to watch her desparate attempts at trying to gain some publicity. She's making herself look like an idiot, but it's not like it's the first time.

That's sorta true.

The Britney-Madonna-Christina thing, I don't see as a desperate attempt. More just an attempt to be funny, since it fit the theme.

"Me Against the Music" made me throw up, though. IMO, that's one of the most shameful things Madonna has done

I think the thing is.. she and her husband refuse to pay attention to the media. Matt Lauer was talking to her about Swept Away, and was about to talk about what they were saying about her and Guy, and she told him to not. Which makes sense, in a way, because the media really did hurt her marriage to Sean Penn. Ignorance is bliss, in that case.

But, in that way, she also doesn't know about constructive crictism. She probably doesn't realize how much of a fool she's making of herself, and what people think of it lately. During Music she made statements against Britney, but didn't really know her.. and she keeps going on and on with her "but-I-DO-like-Britney" thing and it's making me sick.

Quote:
It's funny, her latest album featuring unreleased songs, remixed American Life material, her gap Commercial, her stuff w/ Christina and Britney, etc. didn't even crack the top 100 on Billboard.
There's only one unreleased song, "Your Honesty", from the Bedtime Stories recording sessions. The rest are remixes from American Life, besides the "Like a Virgin"/"Hollywood" VMA performance (audio only).

The thing is.. it's an EP, not a new album. Seven songs, only one of which is new. I didn't buy it, myself.. I downloaded "Your Honesty" (and I can understand why she ditched it for that album). I don't give a sh!t about remixes, still don't understand the big deal about them.
Old 12/07/2003, 12:40 PM
for the emperor

I find whenever somebody ,entions black people being on cops alot get's incredibly annoying after awile..

I'm back baby

In all my years I have never seen them do that!
Old 12/07/2003, 1:29 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

I just mean look at how many music video parodies over the years have been about blond pop stars being whores. I don't mind it once ina while and if they did it less, I wouldn't mind them repeating that joke. I have also noticed, like mista_mo how they've made that joke about black people starring on COPS and America's Most Wanted. It was hilarious the first time but after...

Old 12/07/2003, 1:30 PM
for the emperor

Yea those are used to damn much. But in all honesty, Britney Spears IS a whore.

I'm back baby

In all my years I have never seen them do that!
Old 12/07/2003, 2:22 PM

Yeah, the black people on "COPS" is waaaay overdone. I remember them saying that as early as season 5, in the "No Blacks on the TV Screen" parody.
Old 12/07/2003, 4:21 PM
Regular

I agree that these pop-culture jokes get really stale after a while--no matter what show you're watching. Once every so often is fine, but repeatedly is just annoying.

It's better to dish out these jokes at the right time, like when a celebrity does something really stupid and is all over the news. I mean, now is the most appropriate time to completely diss Michael Jackson. How can you not considering what happened last month?

Also, now is a very good time to poke fun at Paris Hilton. How can you not slam her during these times? Yeah...

Old 12/07/2003, 5:56 PM
Right-wing rocker

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
You don't have a problem with Christina, really?

I mean, she has pipes.. but she overuses them. Even doing "Like a Virgin", she had to go "touched for the very first time" in all sorts of octaves and adding her own sounds and stuff.. and, I mean, it's not a fukkin power ballad!

Plus, she's just a bitch. I recently saw an article, with a bunch of celebrities that had problems with her, because of the way she treated them.. i.e. Pink, Kelly Clarkson, and I think even Jon Stewart had a conflict with her. It was really pathetic

It's just my opinion.

And Christina doesn't oversing. The problem is, there's so many horrible singers out there today, that it SOUNDS like she oversings. But she is a real, true singer.

And I don't think she's a bitch. I think she's just outspoken and honest, like me, and people give her sh*t for it. And no offense, but Kelly Clarkson...Pink...? These people's opinions don't impress me. Although I don't know why anyone would have a problem with Jon Stewart.

Personally, Britney is 1,000 times more pathetic than Christina. I don't like pop music, but at least Christina has talent and she's respectable.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 12/07/2003, 6:47 PM
WHERE'S MY BROTHER?!

Quote:
Are there any jokes that MADtv keeps making that REALLY get to annoy you after a while? One down side about season 8, 9 is that they keep making certain stabs at pop culture that are so stale now. This includes...

Quote:
Originally posted by DaNiKsTa48
Comon now! Thats like how Michael Jackson said that he only had 2 plastic surgeries!
interesting......sounds like MADtv isnt the only one

Cake. It comes in flavors like chocolate and regular.
Cake. DON'T FORGET THE FROSTING.
Cake. Share it with a friend.
[/color]