Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/14/2010, 2:27 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

If that thread was still up, we could move this there.

The olympics ain't got shit on me. And I really don't need some world committee fucking my shit up. Could you imagine the subway system? Pandemonium 2012 or some crap.

-------------------------------
"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 02/15/2010, 3:46 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitaPockets View Post
Most of us didn't want it, seeing as we dislike tourists as it is.
Oh that's what everyone says when their city loses (at least that's what I've heard, I wouldn't know the feeling). Sounds like you're still suffering in stage 4 of my Losing the Olympics Stages of Grief. Stage 1 is shock that you lost. Stage 2 is shock on who got it. Stage 3 is belittling the city who won. Stage 4 is belittling the Olympics themselves by calling them things like a waste of money and other things like that that you wouldn't be saying if you had actually won the games. Stage 5 is acceptance, where by the time the city you were going up against hosts the games, you've almost completely forgotten that you've lost, and after seeing how fun it looks, you think maybe it might be time for your city to host the games. It's pretty accurate.

And to PetaPockets comment that no one cares about the Olympics, I read that the Opening Ceremony here garnered over 32 million viewers for NBC. That's only about 3 million lower than Beijing, and makes it the highest ratings for a Winter Games Opening Ceremony broadcast by a US network for an Olympics not held in the United States in history. Also, the Ceremonies garnered the largest ever viewership in Canadian television history. 2 out of 3 people saw it, meaning that in Canada, if you're sitting next to 2 Canadians, and you saw the opening, that means that one of the people sitting next to you saw it too. But I guess you're right Peta, no one cares.

Anyway, I skipped Day 2 on Saturday, but I went to Day 3, and attended the Victory Ceremony at BC Place for Jennifer Heil silver medal in Moguls, and Kristina Groves's bronze in speed skating, which also had a concert by Nelly Furtado. Nelly's performance was really good, and the medal ceremony was well done. This is a really good idea for the Olympics to do because even though they are not free anymore, they are cheap, and by going to a victory ceremony you can say that you did attend an Olympic event. I should say though that if you don't like listening to national anthems, or Simon Says this is not for you, as it's a lot of getting up for national anthems. The screening to get it was also crazy too. Dare I say it was even more crazy to get in there than it was to get on an American plane. I also didn't like it that the person to tell me that Canada won it's first gold medal on home soil was Ben Mulroney.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)
Old 02/16/2010, 3:49 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

So anyway, not much new in my travels yesterday, but I did see something that was like meeting a myth. I was walking by the Olympic Cauldron (which has much too much fencing. to paraphrase the CityCaucus.com and Ronald Regan (I think) article title, Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson, tear down this wall!) today when I saw a reporter walking by from Fox News. I was so surprised to know that they exsisted. I thought they were just a myth like the mummy, or the wolfman.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 02/16/2010, 9:36 AM
D2F

Canada vs US women's hockey is going to be awesome. It looks like it's eventually going to come down to that. Canada completely wrecked Switzerland yesterday afternoon.

Also, I was watching pairs figure skating again last night. Is it just me or are there WAY more falls than usual? I think during last night's round of skaters, all but the last 2 pairs had at least 1 fall, and the last pair technically had a fall when the guy dropped his partner but they recovered well enough and still won gold. I know at the speed skating rink the ice was getting really slushy. I wonder if that might be the same case at the figure skating rink...

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 02/16/2010, 9:18 PM
Casual Fan

Quote:
Anyway, I skipped Day 2 on Saturday, but I went to Day 3, and attended the Victory Ceremony at BC Place for Jennifer Heil silver medal in Moguls, and Kristina Groves's bronze in speed skating, which also had a concert by Nelly Furtado. Nelly's performance was really good, and the medal ceremony was well done. This is a really good idea for the Olympics to do because even though they are not free anymore, they are cheap, and by going to a victory ceremony you can say that you did attend an Olympic event. I should say though that if you don't like listening to national anthems, or Simon Says this is not for you, as it's a lot of getting up for national anthems. The screening to get it was also crazy too. Dare I say it was even more crazy to get in there than it was to get on an American plane. I also didn't like it that the person to tell me that Canada won it's first gold medal on home soil was Ben Mulroney.
Really? Oh man, I love Nelly Furtado. Well, loved, back in the I'm Like A Bird days. I'll have to look that up.

Also, did you guys hear that some guy died doing luge?! (Just kidding. But that's seriously all anyone brings up when I talk about the olympics.)
Old 02/17/2010, 4:24 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post
Canada vs US women's hockey is going to be awesome. It looks like it's eventually going to come down to that. Canada completely wrecked Switzerland yesterday afternoon.
That was nothing compared to what they did to Slovakia. 18-0. Even the main anchor for the Olympic coverage up here said that when a team is being beaten like that it's so hard to watch, and I agreed with him. I always thought that mercy rules were bullshit, but after seeing that game, I have kind of changed my stance on it. I just think that if the score is over 10 goals it just gets degrading for the other team. Well it's already degrading by then but after that it gets sad degrading.

Quote:
Also, I was watching pairs figure skating again last night. Is it just me or are there WAY more falls than usual?
No it wasn't just you. In fact here's a video montage of the falls to prove it!

Quote:
I know at the speed skating rink the ice was getting really slushy. I wonder if that might be the same case at the figure skating rink...
No it's not the same case because an Olympia ice cleaning machine (or a Zamboni as most of you would call it by a brand name) broke there, spilling slush, and hot water all over the ice. The machine was faulty, that's not the case at Pacific Colosseum. Maybe it's the low altitude? Maybe they are use to a higher altitude and they are finding a little heavier now?

For some reason, these Olympics are being besieged by a comedy of errors, as in today in Women's Snowboard Cross, pretty much every snowboarder had a spill today (which wasn't so bad since it knocked out a lot of the good people and gave room for Canadian Miella Ricker to win gold, which I saw in Live City Yaletown, with thousands of other people and was awesome!). Even the commentator said that for anyone who is not accustom to snowboard cross, this is not normal, and that it was a real comedy of errors. He was even making fun of it after a while despite the fact that these women's dreams were being dashed before his eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedBerries View Post
did you guys hear that some guy died doing luge?! (Just kidding. But that's seriously all anyone brings up when I talk about the olympics.)
Yeah, that's an unfortunate story about these games. People say it's due to our countries "aggressive" Own the Podium campaign, but everybody knows that if a country can have a chance at winning the medal total at their own games, they are going to take the chance. To prove it, apparently the papers saying it are some from the states, and one from Britain. If the British paper did some research, I'm sure he'd find that Britain is doing this too for 2012, and if the United States paper looked at passed US Olympics like at Salt Lake, they would see that the US had the most training on their runs. It may show differently, like saying that Canada got a lot of runs, but most of those were in the great winter months of August-September.

So now they've moved the men to the women's track, which has 2 less extra turns, and moved the women to the junior track, but now they are all saying that they have made it less challenging. Before they were all saying it's too fast, and too dangerous to ride on, but now when they say they will make it sifter, they are all like "well wait, now it's not challenging anymore". So basically what they are saying is that they don''t want to die, but they don't want a course that doesn't pose a risk of them dying. Friggin luge prima donnas!

Rise from the Dead!

Old 02/17/2010, 10:57 PM
D2F

Hey Canada, Japan, Finland, ETC how does it feel to have Shaun White show up, score higher than all of you on his first run then win the gold medal without having to try on the last run (yet still busting out some crazy ass move nobody else can do just for shits and giggles)?

Also what's up with the weird warped shape on the gold medals this Olympics. They look like someone accidentally dropped them under a lawnmower or something.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Old 02/18/2010, 9:07 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

I don't know, I guess it feels like Maelle Ricker leading her final race in women's snowboard cross by a whole lot to win the first gold medal for a Canadian woman on home soil.

It gives the medals some design flare. Each one of those medals are special. No one is the same. I honestly think they are probably the best medal design of any medal in games history. They have some personality, and the most creativity of any medal I've seen. They are certainly better than the Torino Donut medals.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 02/18/2010, 10:34 AM
D2F

Flare? Wut? They look like those foil covered chocolate coins if you accidentally left one on the dashboard of your car during the summer.

Old 02/18/2010, 6:03 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

OMG it got stuck in a gear factory!

This is the only relevant thing I have to share

http://inspiredology.com/olympic-log...t-and-present/

PS: Shawn White ia a cocky ass ginger.

"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 02/18/2010, 6:40 PM
D2F

Helsinki 1952 and Nagano 1998 are the best olympic logos IVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE YO.

PS: Shaun White seems to have earned his cockiness as he completely styled on the competition last night so there

Old 02/18/2010, 11:00 PM
Totally F****able

Quote:
PS: Shaun White seems to have earned his cockiness as he completely styled on the competition last night so there
I agree...he's earned the right to be cocky by simply being that good, and with an impressive work ethic that a lot of Olympians can learn from

Old 02/19/2010, 2:05 AM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Quote:
Also what's up with the weird warped shape on the gold medals this Olympics.
I'm gonna go ahead and second this. The more I see these things, the more I think, these people train over half their lives to win Olympic gold, and we hand them something we could've found by the train tracks? Sorry, world.

Old 02/20/2010, 3:44 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

The warped shape is what helps give it the symbol. If you look at the picture, the symbol on the front of it is shaped by the warping, and I think it brings character to the medals. No one is alike. If a person gets 2 silver medals for instance, they will not look the same. Plus, I like the warp design. It gives them a different look and feel than just the standard circle.

As you all can tell, I haven't been on here in a little while. It's been a whirlwind of Olympic action for me. I went to both tapings of the Colbert Report, which was filming 2 days of segments out here. The first day I was amongst the crowd of chant whores (Steven's nickname for us because we chanted for almost everything), but the second I managed to get to the front with some cunning moves (actually, it was mostly not waiting in line with everyone, and going to the other side of the park the show was filming on where there was no one to stop me, so that when it was time for everyone to rush for the stage, I would have a completely unobstructed running path to the front row gate). I was so close the second time that Steven even responded to some of my comments. I also got a rare pin from the event. The one surprising thing about the taping is that during it, Steven actually sweared. I know it's not that big a deal because he does it on the show, but on the show it's always beeped out, so to see him swear and for it to not be blocked out was pretty cool.

I can say a few things about the taping. He interviews Michael Buble, the captain of the 1980 Miracle on Ice Olympic hockey team, Bob Costas, 2 alpine skiers, and some 2010 US Olympic gold medalist from a new sport. He also interviewed South Vancouver's MP of the region for his Better Know a District series, which he retitled to Better Know a Riding. I won't say anything about the interview except for the fact that I think it might be one of the most racist interviews I have ever seen. He also reads from an English to English dictionary, and closes the show on a moose holding while holding a Canadian flag (which was our idea). Also, for next weeks show, he may take Canada off notice, which was actually my idea!

That was the most exciting thing in the last 2 days, but there have been other great moments like me finally getting into Atlantic House (a show that was MCed by Shaun Majumder!), 4 First Nations House, and Sochi Russia House, which by the way is filled with some of the hottest Russian chicks I think I have ever seen (Science World). I still have some other events I need to get into like the 7 hour lined Zipline ride, the 2-3 hour gold medal touching line at the Royal Canadian Mint (which then I will be able to tell you if you comments about the medal are justified) and the 5 hour line to get into Heineken Holland House, but I'm going to do it. I also still have to get a good picture of the cauldron, but the problem is that it's a little out of the way. I can get there, and I will since it is only like a 30 minute wait to get a good picture, but the problem is my camera is pretty crappy, and I'm going to be getting a new one soon.

The best thing to do though, that's free and does not take long to do, is to go down Robson Street and see all the people just supporting Canada. I have never seen so much Canadian pride before. Down there, all you have to do is yell out something like "Canada #1", or "Go Canada", and people will yell and cheer in celebration around you. It's so great to see. I know a lot of the world is harping on these games and calling them the worst ever, but frankly, they are not here to see how great it is, so they can just go fuck themselves (especially you British paper writers. You think our Own the Podium campaign is bad, but go down the your Great Britain Olympic Committee offices and you'll find that your Olympians are competing under the same type of thing that we are for your 2012 Summer Games in London).

P.S. I also noticed that there are now so many more hot Canadian chicks out there, which is always good. Also, you can really tell it's a party out here because I went into a mens bathroom, and women were walking out of them because they couldn't wait for the womens. They were hot though so it wasn't that bad.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 02/20/2010, 9:06 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

shaun white is a ranga.thats all u need to know

i wanna watch womens ice hockey..i didn't even know there was womens ice hockey.
oh and australia won a gold medal.horray!
Old 02/20/2010, 10:51 PM
D2F

The women's ice hockey has been pretty good this time around. I've been keeping a close eye on Finland. They've got a really good goalie Noora Raty (whom my friend is obsessed with for some reson). The final games for them and the men should be coming up soon so you should totally check that out.

Also tomorrow is supposed to be pretty huge because it's men's hockey, Canada vs USA (hoping for USA but most likely Canada will win) and Finland vs Sweden (Sweden is gonna get massacred). All the other teams aren't worth watching.

Old 02/20/2010, 11:19 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Your right that the United States is going to lose, because Canada is a friggin powerhouse, but then again, there was 1980.

Why do you think Sweden is going to lose? They've won both there games, and they have the Sedin brothers, one of which, Henrik Sedin is one of the highest scoring players in the NHL right now, and are playing somewhat on home ice, as they both play for the Canucks.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 02/21/2010, 12:01 AM
D2F

Their men's team won barely in both instances and they've been playing pretty poorly compared to Finland (that goes for women's as well). Consider this:

Men's
Sweden vs Germany: 2 - 0
Finland vs Germany: 5 - 0

Sweden vs Belarus (lol wut?): 4 - 2
Finland vs Belarus: 5 - 1

Their women's team is in good shape too except for the 6-0 beating they took from the USA, but then again Sweden got beat 13-1 by Canada. Much bigger margin there.

I think USA vs Canada will be a good game and I really hope the USA wins for the sole purpose of being able to troll every Canadian I come in contact with. It just seems like it will be a big challenge because Canada's team looks beastly. The only thing that gives me hope is Canada just barely squeeking by in their match up against Switzerland in overtime. That's gotta hurt the pride a bit.

Old 02/21/2010, 2:22 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

I heard that MSNBC will be running the game live coast to coast in the States (which is weird since I thought MSNBC was a political news channel). And also, how are you going to be running into any Canadians? They are all 2 hours north of you attending the games. And Canada's team is beastly. Jerome Iginla, Roberto Luongo, and of course Sid the Kid Crosby. Also, about the comment of our squeek by Switzerland, you are right. I was going around the city that night and the whole town was just generally freaked out that it was so close.

So another interesting story from the past week. One day when I was on the Skytrain, and forced to stand as usual, I just so happened to be standing next to two really hot lesbians, who were just gently kissing each others faces and neck as the train was moving. It was awesomely hot! The next day I was taking the Skytrain and I had another gay sighting, only now it was 2 guys, and I'm going to tell all you guys out there, that if you think you're not gay because your fat, slovenly, and have a beard, this guy knocks all of those out, as he had it all. This wasn't the worst part though, the worst part was when he began to talk with his other guy "friend" about his experience of first learning about what a strapon was. As if it wasn't horrifying enough to have to not picture how this guy was first learning about this strapon, the worst thing was when he said that it was "uncomfortable", and that he would just rather use his dick. There were two more stops to go, and I was just begging for these guys to get off (the train perves!), but of course they didn't so once I got off the train at the stop, I tried to get as far away from them as possible.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 02/21/2010, 9:04 PM
D2F

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmanismadformad View Post
Your right that the United States is going to lose, because Canada is a friggin powerhouse
Empty net goal... 5 - 3