Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/15/2005, 8:03 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Post Aries Spears assaults former colleague

From Celebrity Justice:
It was the slap heard around Sacramento, as Aries Spears, star of FOX's "MADtv" went head to head with Mike E. Winfield, a comedian and contributor on Sacramento's KSFM world famous morning show. Aries once headlined a show that Winfield once opened. But Winfield was let go and the two never saw each other again until a heated encounter at KSFM.

We're told that Spears was unaware that Winfield would be on the show at the time he was booked. On the air, Winfield confronted Spears and asked why he was fired. And during a commercial, things got ugly. The situation escalated, coming to a head when Spears slapped Winfield across the face. Winfield tells "CJ" he is thinking about pressing charges. But was Spears set up? Winfield says no.
All I can say is that I'm thankful he is no longer on MADtv. This is pretty disgraceful, Aries should be ashamed. You can view the article, and accompanying video, here.

Old 07/15/2005, 8:44 PM
His senses were dimmed

The video mentions that Aries may have been set up. The whole thing is a bit suspicious.

I'm not disgraced with Aries at all we don't have the full story of what happened so he could have been provoked.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 07/15/2005, 10:12 PM
what do you want!!!

Like, after seasons 7, i should say, he was only into MADtv for the money, he never really cared for it anymore, hardly appeard in any sketches, and seemed like he would just hang out in his dressing room the whole time adn ignore everybody!
Old 07/15/2005, 11:19 PM
Hardcore Fan

Clearly, I don't think we want to see any cast member from MADtv in trobule with the law regardless if we hate him or her.

Let's hope Aries doesn't get into further trouble in the near future.
Old 07/16/2005, 1:52 AM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

As the giant once said while sitting on a tiny toilet, "I don't have a whole lot to go on here." Seriously, though, I would have to know much more about this incident before I could pass judgment on Aries, esp. since it appears that this might have been a setup or at least a blatant provocation on Mr. Winfield's part. The story strikes me as an isolated incident, not as proof that Aries Spears is some kind of amoral hothead who picks fights with former colleagues for no good reason. All I really know about Aries is what I see on "MADtv," and much of that is pretty damn good.

Well, O.K., I could have done w/o Dolemite, but anyhoo....

"We can dig it!"
Old 07/16/2005, 2:24 AM
Right-wing rocker

Setup or no, what Aries did would still be considered wrong by most people. And really, that just kinda proves what a scumbag he seemed to be. Ugh. No wonder so many cast members couldn't stand him.

Then again, we must also remember 2 things;

1. Artie Lange assaulted a police officer and he is beyond awesome, despite the fact that what he did was wrong. Except that Aries isn't awesome, but whatever.

2. Sometimes, some people simply BEG for a good old-fashioned bitch-slap. So maybe the guy deserved it. Who knows.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 07/16/2005, 3:09 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

The "setup" aspect refers to the fact that Aries didn't know that Mike Winfield was going to be a part of the radio show. Not that he was "set up" to physically assault the guy. I'm sure Aries was "provoked" to an extent, but I still think his actions were completely out of line, regardless of the minor details. And this isn't the first time something like this has happened regarding Aries. It's the first time I've heard of him physically hitting someone, though. There was this:

Quote:
August 15, 2004 -- "MAD TV" star Aries Spears was booted out of Comedy Company in Midtown because of his hardcore heckling of stand-up comic Bob Jeurgens. "He demanded the microphone and screamed at the top of his lungs that he was funnier than Bob," says a witness. "The crowd was hissing at him, and finally the manager asked him to leave. As he was leaving he got in the manager's face and started screaming about how he has been on Conan O'Brien and deserves respect because he has been in the business since he was 14. He continued to scream all the way up the stairs until the manager literally slammed the door in his face." Audience members were offered comped admission to the club any time — all they have to do is mention "Mad TV" at the door.
and this:

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat_Named_CeCe
I saw Aries on Coming To The Stage. What a pompous, arrogent asshole. I'm sorry. From what I had heard, I thought that he just annoyed people a little. He was worse than Simon Cowell!

He pissed off contestants and made them cry as well as picking a huge fight with the other judges. This really makes me dislike him. He's not even funny on the show at this point and it has obviously all gone to his head. I don't respect him and I won't be watching any more appearances of his after he leaves MADtv. He was ok in his early seasons, but at this point I can't stand him.

Who does he think he is? One of the contestants who was pissed at him was like "I don't even know who the f*ck he is anyways!"
I didn't find Aries particularly funny to begin with, but to me it seems that his ego far outweighs his talent. This is just MY opinion.

Old 07/16/2005, 4:55 AM
Be Kind to Your Nuggs

Quote:
Originally posted by Dartanian
I didn't find Aries particularly funny to begin with, but to me it seems that his ego far outweighs his talent. This is just MY opinion.
I agree 100%

MySpace

<Badgina> No, many women have had their babies vacuumed out.
<Devin_> What if the bag is full?

There Trey, happy now?
Old 07/16/2005, 5:16 AM
Remember me?

His actions will catch up with him sooner or later and he'll realize that an attitude like his will keep him from getting jobs. Since his MADtv security blanket is gone there's no way he'll get a better gig acting like an egotistical ass.

Last edited by madOC112789; 07/16/2005 at 6:28 AM.
View Post Old 07/16/2005, 5:52 AM
MoForPresident
This message is hidden because MoForPresident was banned from the site.
Old 07/16/2005, 11:20 AM
I'm watching you.

Okayy...

Maybe he was set-up.. maybe he wasnt. Whatever it is, hope he has a good reason to bitch-slap the other guy.
Old 07/16/2005, 12:17 PM
Right-wing rocker

Quote:
Originally posted by Dartanian

I stand corrected. I had a feeling he was a bit of a stuck-up jerk, but I had no idea that it was to THAT extent. Jesus. Even I'M not that bad!

And I'd agree that his ego is much much bigger than his talent. He only made me laugh a few times and now that I know he's like that, it'll be hard to even laugh at reruns. What an assh*le.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 07/16/2005, 12:29 PM
Right-wing rocker

I just had to add that it pisses me off that he has that huge ego and thinks he can treat people like sh*t when he was such a take it or leave it cast member, when the real stars of the show like Debra, are some of the sweetest people in the world. I want to know who's been lying to him and telling him he's so great.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 07/16/2005, 2:47 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

I want to explain my last post in this thread. First, in no way am I saying that what Aries did is right. I agree that even if there had been a setup, then Aries should have taken a step back and cooled down before resorting to fisticuffs. The only point I was trying to make is that the "accidental" encounter with this former colleague does seem somewhat suspicious to me. If Aries and Mr. Winfield really do share a negative history, then why would the persons involved with KSFM's radio show deliberately spring Mr. Winfield on Aries in this manner? I say "deliberately" because I don't buy that no one at the station would have had prior knowledge of the history shared by the two men; it's too much of a coincidence. Though I don't care at all for the manner in which Aries expressed his rage, I certainly think that he would have a right to be angry if such were the case. Certainly, no one "forced" Aries to assault this guy--that was Spears' decision alone, naturally--but I still feel that either Mr. Winfield or someone else involved was trying to provoke Aries in this instance.

Celebs are certainly not above reproach, even though some, like Aries, may think so. Still, even so, I won't stop watching the guy on "MADtv" simply because he's not a model human being. Whatever his recent "MADtv" shortcomings, he's still, IMO, among the top dozen or so cast members ever. You guys are entitled not to share my opinion--I'm sorta used to it by now.

"We can dig it!"
Old 07/16/2005, 2:56 PM
Be Kind to Your Nuggs

I understand what you mean Mizzi. I too feel that Aries is among the top 15 for me. But he definetly should've had better control over his own actions. This whole story does make me think twice about a possible set-up.

MySpace

There Trey, happy now?
Old 07/16/2005, 4:32 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
August 15, 2004 -- "MAD TV" star Aries Spears was booted out of Comedy Company in Midtown because of his hardcore heckling of stand-up comic Bob Jeurgens. "He demanded the microphone and screamed at the top of his lungs that he was funnier than Bob," says a witness. "The crowd was hissing at him, and finally the manager asked him to leave. As he was leaving he got in the manager's face and started screaming about how he has been on Conan O'Brien and deserves respect because he has been in the business since he was 14. He continued to scream all the way up the stairs until the manager literally slammed the door in his face." Audience members were offered comped admission to the club any time — all they have to do is mention "Mad TV" at the door.
Does anybody else find this hilarious?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat_Named_CeCe I saw Aries on Coming To The Stage. What a pompous, arrogent asshole. I'm sorry. From what I had heard, I thought that he just annoyed people a little. He was worse than Simon Cowell!

He pissed off contestants and made them cry as well as picking a huge fight with the other judges. This really makes me dislike him. He's not even funny on the show at this point and it has obviously all gone to his head. I don't respect him and I won't be watching any more appearances of his after he leaves MADtv. He was ok in his early seasons, but at this point I can't stand him.

Who does he think he is? One of the contestants who was pissed at him was like "I don't even know who the f*ck he is anyways!"
Actually, this post is taken way out of context. He wasn't being an asshole, and he wasn't being a Simon Cowell. He was actually being honest. That guy wasn't funny to me either (I can't believe he won), and he shouldn't have to sugarcoat his opinion just because he's on TV.

Old 07/16/2005, 5:14 PM
Hardcore Fan

Ohhh! Thats bad!
Old 07/16/2005, 6:35 PM
JAVAN said so.

is it me, or is aries bigger?

Old 07/16/2005, 6:51 PM
Be Kind to Your Nuggs

Yeah, I definetly think Aries has gotten a little bigger.

MySpace

There Trey, happy now?
Old 07/16/2005, 8:49 PM
His senses were dimmed

Yup he has been putting on weight. I noticed that too.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards