Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 8 (2002-2003)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/01/2003, 2:39 PM
Domo Arigato, Mrs. Roboto
Content Robot

Default Episode S08E15 (Aired 2003-02-15)

Cast: Frank Caliendo, Mo Collins, Bobby Lee, Michael McDonald, Aries Spears, Stephnie Weir, Debra Wilson

Featuring: Ike Barinholtz, Josh Meyers, Christina Moore, Paul Vogt

Guest Starring: Evan Marriott, Paul Hogan

Special Appearance: Nelson Ascencio, Jon Favreau, Kelly Hu, Stan Lee, Michael Clarke Duncan, David Allan Grier, Gary Foster, Avi Arad, Scott Foley, Jennifer Garner, Ben Affleck
  • Music Video: Christina Aguilera "Virginal" (Christina- Christina Aguilera, Ron, Ike)
  • Depressed Persian Tow Truck Man: Marital Breakdown (Stephnie- Terry, Josh- Tony, Michael- Mofaz)
  • Sponsor: How To Lose Eight Bucks In Two Hours
  • Happy V.D. Chucky Brown [[Animation]]
  • Joe Millionaire II (Evan Marriott- Himself, Paul Hogan- Himself, Stephnie- Anna Nicole Smith, Debra- Bunifa Latifah Halifah Shirifa Jackson, Mo- Lorraine Swanson)
  • O'Reilly Factor: Self-Debate (Michael- Bill O'Reilly)
  • Daredevil Premier (Debra- Herself, Ike- Himself, Jon Favreau- Himself, Kelly Hu- Herself, Stan Lee- Himself, Michael Clarke Duncan- Himself, David Allan Grier- Himself, Gary Foster- Himself, Avi Arad- Herself, Scott Foley- Himself, Jennifer Garner- Herself, Ben Affleck- Himself)
  • Connie Chung Tonight: Book Talk (Bobby- Connie Chung, Frank- Tom Brokaw, Mo- Jeannie Wyatt)
  • Encore: Trina's Valentine (#615) (Mo- Trina Moss, Aries, Nelson- O'Neal, Michael- Jim Cockhurtz)
  • Dot: Nursing Home Valentine (Stephnie- Penelope "Dot" Goddard, Michael- Ronald Goddard, Mo- Leslie Goddard; Frank, Debra, Paul)
  • Close: Connie Chung Tonight: Book Talk (Bobby- Himself/Connie Chung, Mo- Herself/Jeannie Wyatt, Frank- Himself/Tom Brokaw)

Last edited by tvmanismadformad; 06/15/2010 at 12:39 AM.

Old 02/01/2003, 4:27 PM
Geometry Sucks.

Hehe... BTW, this is the "Tribute to Music" episode, isn't it?
Old 02/01/2003, 5:16 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Yup.
Old 02/01/2003, 5:26 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Predictions: This & That With Rusty: Jon Bon Jovi, Daphne Aguilera performs "Filthy".

Old 02/01/2003, 6:53 PM
Geometry Sucks.

Can't wait to see the Andy Dick episode, if they even decide to air it in episode #815.
Old 02/09/2003, 4:10 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

the REAL Anna Nicole Smith will guest star in #816.

Old 02/09/2003, 5:40 PM
Geometry Sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
the REAL Anna Nicole Smith will guest star in #816.
Is she guest starring? If so, :barf: , then that would be the second time she would be a guest star on MADtv. Back in season three, she was actually sexy. But right now... ...ech.
Old 02/15/2003, 10:06 PM

This episode was okay. Not as good as the last few, but still pretty good. Paul actually gave a surprisingly good performances.

I'll give my review tomorrow.
Old 02/15/2003, 10:24 PM
Totally F****able

My review...................

The Christina aguilera parody was good........the performance was good the song was hilarious

I was very disappointed with the Joe Millionaire sketch. Stephnie did a good job, but that's pretty much where it ended. The rest was just BAD........I don't know how much more of Bunifa's(Debra) yelling I can take.......and Mo doing Lorraine this time around made me seriously ill to my stomach. I wanted to hurl, I was that grossed out by it. Plus that Joe (Evan) guy isn't very funny.

Charlie Brown VD: Good Lord why oh why must we be subjected to this animation sketch..........I just can't stand it.

Ike and Debra at the Daredevil or whatever that movie is called premiere was dull.......They've got no chemistry, and Ike wasn't funny at all.

The Depressed Persian Tow Truck Man was actually bearable, it had its good moments. I liked this one. Stephnie and Josh did a very good job as did Michael.

Dot was hilarious..........One of my favorite Stephnie characters. The whole nursing home idea was just funny.

The Connie Chung (Bobby) interview was ok......I particularly enjoyed Frank's impression of Tom Brokaw, and Mo as the whore was laughable......Especially in the closing credits where she kept screwing up and laughing.

NO MORE BILL O'REILLY...........I don't care for him in reality so I can't stand any impersonations of him...........although the "I am God" premise was funny

TRINA VALENTINE'S: (Encore) I don't remember what season it's from, but it remains my favorite Trina sketch ever. I actually laughed more than the first few times I saw it.

Um.....I dunno If I left anything out, and Maybe i did miss something because I don't recall seeing Aries...........or maybe I'm just blind...........

But that's my review.........Can't wait for next week, It's gonna rock!
Old 02/15/2003, 11:06 PM
Geometry Sucks.

Just one more hour... Grrr... I live in Los Angeles, and I'm going to be the last one here in these mainland 48 states to see MADtv because of time zone differences. And they even tape MADtv here, for crying out loud.
Old 02/16/2003, 8:27 AM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

My quickie for the week:
I loved the "Virginal" video! LOL so funny and just a great parody. I also loved The O'Reilly Factor! They are always great. I also liked the Connie Chung sketch, but mostly for Frank's impression. That cracked me up!

As for the rest, it was pretty mediocre. The Dot sketch was cute though. And the Daredevil red carpet thing had its moments.

I guess the screaming at the end of Bunifa sketches is going to be a continuing thing, huh? Ugh!!

That's all for now.

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 02/16/2003, 9:23 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

My quicky review...

Viginal Video: funny, Christina Moore was good. Getting bored with pop princess videos just portraying them as sluts for the premise

Tow Truck Guy: I hate this character and his whiny gross out humour. i hope the crash at the end of the sketch means he's dead

How to Lose Eight Dollars in Two Hours: This was hilarious, best sketch of the night!

Chuckie Brown VD: This was funny considering I just saw the real version of this hours earlier. I was very impressed.

Joe Millionaire 2: Good premise, terrible in execution.

O'Reilly Factor: This wasn't as good as the other ones which i enjoy very much, still watchable though.

Dare Devil Premier: Okay, Ike soooo ruined this, no matter how much Debra tried to save it. Ike just doesn't make chemistry, he's not funny but rude and annoying and even Jennifer Garner pointed that out. However he's "Jewish" so MADtv found sympothy Worst Red Carpet Special so far.

Connie Chung Tonight: This wasn't very funny, the writing was boring.

Dot: Senior's Home: This character lacks any definance it had when she had her rival twin sister but I still chuckled throughout the sketch.

ENCORE Trina's Valentine: This was a good choice to Encore although I want new material. I'm tired of this put 8 sketches into the first half hour and only 3 new ones into the second half.

Connie Chung/Close: This was funny, but it's sad that the bloopers were funnier than the actual sketch itself.

OVERALL: I could be missing a sketch from this review but this episode was disapointing. Too many recurring characters, a matter of fact, only 2 sketches werent character sketches (Christina Aguilera, Movie Ad) This episode lacked variety and I'm getting bored with this problem which is getting worse throughout the season. The writing was dull, most cast members did put in an honost effort at least. Some one-off sketches would've really helped tonight. Overall, I got bored fast, not that anything was a total failure, some sketches came very close. I'm going to have to give it a 6/10.

Old 02/16/2003, 1:12 PM
I'm Content With Losing

I went camping over the weekend and had a great time... guess I didn't miss much.

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream I’m in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As we’re laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november
Old 02/16/2003, 1:21 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
How to Lose Eight Dollars in Two Hours: This was hilarious, best sketch of the night!
Yeah, I just checked my tape again. That sketch never aired here. What was the premise? I watched the whole episode, it never showed anything by this name.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 02/16/2003, 1:37 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Oh! Nevermind! That was just a 5 second commercial right before the break. I remember now. Sorry.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 02/16/2003, 3:06 PM

Hey, I only got to tape half of it, BUT I stayed up all night to watch the show, so luckily I saw the whole thing.

But because I don't have a full tape, I can't provide a proper summary because I'm unclear about a couple things. I definitely will, but I need some questions answered first. Who was that girl that Mo played in the Chung sketch, her name? Was she supposed to be a celebrity? Was Aries completely absent from the episode? And finally which sketches were written by a cast member?

Anyway here's my opinions for now at least..

CHRISTINA AGULEIRA - This was hilarious! Christina (Moore, that is) was very good, and it's sharp satire of Aguleira, and the video (showing the people who are "virginal"). This is my favorite video parody of the season, even besting out "Like I Am You". After a sketch like this, I was expecting an awesome episode, but unfortunately that expectation was for the most part not met.

DEPRESSED... - I'm extremely disappointed this character returned, I was so happy when they originally retired it. I'm sure they'll be bringing back Rusty too now, which really blows. Anyway, this was actually better than most of this character's sketches. Stephnie has chemistry with just about everyone, as does Josh, so naturally these two worked excellently together. Performance-wise, Michael was okay, it's just the character's material isn't that good like usual. Hopefully this is the character's final sketch, because in the end he crashes and goes into a coma. Anyway, there were still a few funny lines, and the very strong Weir-Meyers team worked out really well, and those aspects made this sketch watchable overall.

HOW TO LOSE A GUY... - I think this is the shortest sketch (if you can call it a sketch) that MADtv has ever done. It got a chuckle out of me, but it's really hard to judge this one.

CHUCKY BROWN - This was excellent, best of the night. It was funny, and very strong satire of ghetto stereotypes and the way Peanuts specials usually are (like in the way they talk). Even better than the Halloween one. I just hope that this recurring animated segment doesn't replace Public School House Rock, as we haven't had an installment of it since the first Chucky Brown sketch.

JOE MILLIONAIRE - Disjointed. A very funny premise, the execution not as good. I hate how they have Bunifa scream constantly, but otherwise the character was good. Lorraine seemed a tad watered-down, but that's probably because she didn't get much scream time, but she was still really funny. Unlike the other two, the Anna Nicole impression's small timeframe didn't affect it, so Stephnie did the best job here, and Anna Nicole provided the funniest parts. I expected Evan Marriot to be terrible, but he was actually pretty good, definitely among the better of the guest stars this season (which isn't saying much), and he had some pretty funny lines, like "I don't think I can ever have an erection again" after seeing Lorraine near-buff. Pretty good, but not as good as I expected.

O'REILLY FACTOR - I always enjoy these. There's been funnier installments, but this was nonetheless quite good. I find it weird that they're changing this segment with every installment - last time they changed the theme song and added the live audience, this time they totally changed Michael's make-up.

DAREDEVIL PREMIERE - I still find the Barinholtz-Wilson pairing odd, they must be going out or something. Anyway, this was better than the Bond one last time, but like most Red Carpet segments aren't overly impressive. They overkilled the Hulk thing. Debra didn't get much word in, which is disappointing because she provided most of the funniest lines in the last two installments. As for Ike, he was okay; he overdid the Jennifer Garner date thing, and you could tell that he thought he was hilarious. But he still put in funny lines, like saying this one short-blond-curly-hair woman was Sisqo's mom, and interviewing a fan acting like she was Jennifer Lopez. Ironic that they used the music from the "Alias" parody last season in this while also interviewing Garner, considering the parody really ripped her show to shreads. Lots of ups and downs to this, and they pretty much equal out to make a watchable segment.

CONNIE CHUNG - Also very disjointed. Mo was very funny, and Bobby was good as usual with the Chung impression. Frank's impression was surprisingly not too good, it's too similar to his Koppel impression IMO. The writing also was pretty bad when they constantly kept having Brokaw advertise his book. It's also disappointing that this is Bobby's only appearance of the night, considering how much airtime he had been getting as of late and doing an impressive job. Again, okay overall.

DOT - I enjoyed this. It was definitely too long, but nonetheless a high point of the show. I used to think that the Dot sketches without Karen would really suck, as her season seven Karen-less ones did, but I guess as long as they keep Dot in a realistic situation (no weird ones like Laundry Land in #722). Stephnie did a great job as always, as did Mo and Michael. Debra and Frank were okay. Paul was actually quite good; I think now that he indeed has potential. Whenever he doesn't play someone whiny (this, Bible Dude, Epstein Brothers), he's very good, he's just terrible in the straight man roles or whenever he acts like a normal person; I guess it's like Alex Borstein, who was absolutely terrible in straight or normal person roles, but was awesome at everything else.

ENCORE: TRINA - This was okay. Mo is good in delivery, but Trina was kind of annoying and too stupid. Michael was quite good. It was bad seeing Nelson again. Like most Trina sketches, she had some very funny lines; but unlike a lot, this was too long and just too weird even for Trina. Not much else to say

CLOSE: CHUNG - Again, okay. Bloopers would've been a nice treat in past seasons, but this really compares in comparison to most of the improved closings this season.

OVERALL - I enjoyed this episode, nothing was outright bad. Of course, only a couple sketches were really good. This really pales in comparison to the last three episodes. I've noticed that they don't let Debra completely dominate the episodes lately like she did most of the season, so she's funnier. Mo and Michael dominated the show, Mo was very good as usual and Michael was okay. Bobby barely appeared, which was disappointing because he's really shined lately, Christina, Josh and Paul (surprisingly) were very good in their one role. Aries was completely absent other than from the Encore, but it made absolutely zero difference; I didn't notice that he was absent for awhile, and it seems no one else noticed, and that really proves he does nothing for the show anymore unfortunately. Another thing I noticed is that this episode was full of recurring characters, which is rare for season eight, as #809 is the only other episode with a good deal of recurring characters; they're also bringing back formally retired characters such as Fightin' Ron, Drama Queen, and Spishak, so I guess they're going to be cranking up the characters again, hopefully they won't overdo it. Anyway, this episode was okay, it's kind of unimpressive for a sweeps episode though. 7/10

BTW these are the finalized ratings of each season episode so far..
801 - 8/10
802 - 10/10
803 - 9/10
804 - 10/10
805 - 9/10
806 - 5/10
807 - 7/10
808 - 10/10
809 - 8/10
810 - 7/10
811 - 6/10
812 - 9/10
813 - 8/10
814 - (haven't seen it yet)
815 - 7/10

Last edited by koolboee cdmo87; 02/16/2003 at 4:00 PM.
Old 02/16/2003, 3:14 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Overall it wasn't a bad episode... I didn't mind the encore, it was a funny one. And again, no musical performance which is always a bonus. I didn't like the O'Reilly factor, I never did like those anyway. Tow Truck man was hilarious, I really hope the crash at the end wasn't the sign of the sketches coming to and end, or perhaps Michael leaving. Ike & Debra red carpet thing stunk, Ike was so freakin' lame. And the Jewish comment was totally uncalled for... With a name like that everyone knows yer Jewish, you dont have to advertise....

Old 02/16/2003, 3:27 PM

I don't think the Tow Truck sketch is a sign of Michael leaving.. I would think that they would do a bunch of Stuart sketches instead.
Old 02/16/2003, 3:55 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Default Here's my quick 2 cents..

Virginal - Christina Moore's first major role as Christina Aguilera went over pretty well. Hopefully this will be the start of a good run on MADtv for her. She has a lot to live up to, considering the female trio (Debra, Mo, Stephnie) are the strongest cast members right now.

Depressed Persian Tow Truck Man - For once, I loved this character. His lines were sharp and witty and Michael put on an excellent performance for one of the first times this season. I never liked this character before, but this sketch was quite funny.

How To Lose Eight Dollars - I barely even remembered this one. Nothing noteworthy IMO.

Happy V.D. Chucky Brown - Even better than the first one. Had my brother and I cracking up throughout the whole skit. One of my favorite animation sequences of season 8.

Joe Millionaire II - Good, but not nearly as exciting as I expected. All 3 characters (Bunifa, Lorraine, Anna Nicole) were great throughout the skit, except it ended horribly. I don't understand why they have Bunifa screaming hysterically at the end of the past 2 sketches that she appeared in. And she didn't even get an attitude with him. The best part was seeing Lorraine in her underwear. Good, but not as good as I had hoped.

O'Reilly Factor: Seeing Double - I hate this segment. And the joke that he had himself guest star on his own show was lame and got old very quickly. Good thing this wasn't very long.

Ike & Debra at the Daredevil Premiere - Ike's humor seemed very forced, and while Debra was funny she didn't have the chemistry that she had with Michael or Mo in red carpet segments earlier this season

Connie Chung: Sex - I don't think that Bobby's impression is very accurate, but the writing is not bad so it makes up for it. Mo was funny, Frank was okay.

Dot: Old Folks Home - This was good. Although it isn't quite as funny since Alex left, this skit proves that Dot can still be good as a solo character.

ENCORE: Trina's Valentines Day - This was a good sketch to encore, considering it's a Valentines Day episode. Definitely one of my favorite Trina skits. Her more recent appearances just don't compare to back then.

CLOSE: Chung Bloopers - Not as funny as past bloopers, I would have preferred a different type of closing. But it was okay.

Overall - A pretty good episode. A little too heavy on recurring characters, but still very good. I wish they would have a balance. I don't like when there are no recurring characters like many season 8 episodes, but here we were bombarded. Although the skits were mostly good, I wish that there was more of a balance. The quality of the character skits was great though. None of these characters felt overused or played out to me, like many characters have in past seasons. Maybe MADtv really has learned how to use their characters better. There were a few bad skits, but a majority of them were good. I know that my grade seems high for this episode, but it was one of my favorites this season. I'll give it an 8/10.

Old 02/16/2003, 4:09 PM

BTW is this the first episode that Aries has been absent from?