Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 8 (2002-2003)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/09/2003, 5:09 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Yeah, I understood the point of the sketch.. I'm just saying, sometimes it worked (Japanese and Italian) and sometimes it didn't (Irish and Indian).

Old 03/09/2003, 5:36 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog

You really have to see these TV specials to understand what they're making fun of. Usually the commercials are just like these; a bunch of gibberish that English-speaking people can't understand anyway then a product is shown that has nothing to do with the rest of the ad.
Well, that's also the case with commercials in English. Look at the snickers commercials for example... If you weren't fluent in English, all you would see is people doing something stupid until the commercial finally displays its product. And foreign commercials make sense to people who speak their respective languages, but they make no sense at all to people who don't.

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Reality Check: Dreamin' of Denzel Washington...

(my favorite Reality Check sketch)
Old 03/09/2003, 6:17 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

This episode was pretty bad. I blame it partially on the fact that Debra was completely absent. Luckily, she was shown on a preview for next week's Sorority Row sketch, so hopefully the next episode will be better.

There was quite a lot that was horrible (Bomb Bomb Bomb, Dating Your Mom, t.a.t.u performance) and the rest was just mediocre. Nothing stood out as great to me. It was very much like an SNL episode, way too political. Angela's sketches keep getting lamer, this was VERY similar to her debut in the camping sketch. But, it was nowhere near as humerous. The problem is that they always follow the same format. It's either her trying to seduce a middle aged man or making a video for school. I really enjoyed her at first, but the jokes are getting old to me. The Dating Your Mom sketch with Ike and Josh was almost as bad as the detention sketch. I don't think that either of them have what it takes to carry a sketch yet.

Oh, t.a.t.u.'s 15 minutes of fame is almost up. They couldn't even lip sync well and they are only famous because they are so-called "lesbians". They have no talent WHATSOEVER. The song is catchy, but the live version sounds almost...wait...no...EXACTLY like the radio version. I love how they almost kissed. That was stupid. And the short haired girl knocked over the microphone.

This is my vote for the worst episode of the season. Blech. And the Queen of Queens sketch should have had Nicole's character in it. It would have made it all better for me.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 03/09/2003, 6:28 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

They should make a real KoQ parody, and have Nicole herself guest star as Holly. That would be so funny.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat_Named_CeCe
And the Queen of Queens sketch should have had Nicole's character in it. It would have made it all better for me.

Old 03/09/2003, 6:49 PM

I don't know how fans would react to Nicole's character on the show.. some people would probably take the jokes too seriously and think the show is "anti-Nicole" or something. But yeah it would've been interesting.
Old 03/09/2003, 6:54 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

So, CeCe... What would you give last night's episode out of ten? 5/10 for me. What about you?

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Old 03/09/2003, 7:40 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
So, CeCe... What would you give last night's episode out of ten? 5/10 for me. What about you?
Hmmm...don't think that I hate MADtv Season 8 or anything, but this is probably a 4/10 from me. I'm not that harsh usually. I gave #815 an 8/10, but #817 was worse than a majority of season 7 for me. I dunno. Debra and Stephnie seem to be bringing most of the humor for me this season. With Debra absent and Stephnie in a very small role, this just wasn't up to par with the rest of the season. Way too political for my taste. 5/10 at the most, but I'd say 4/10.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 03/09/2003, 7:46 PM

I agree, I really dislike the political material. It almost always never works - that's why "SNL" sucks so much now, and it also really hindered "MADtv" in season seven.

I think this almost- no Stephnie and Debra episode proves that Debra and Stephnie are very valuable, and considering most of the only other excellent parts of this episode were Mo's, it shows with her too. Frank gave in really good performances too, but his roles as usual were very small, although he got more than usual.
Old 03/09/2003, 7:57 PM
Right-wing rocker

Quote:
Originally posted by Kai
Il y a trop de sable dans votre vagin, Mad Dog, which is french for 'all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy but too much time on her hands makes Mad Dog just plain annoying'.

Actually, with that frowny face it looks a little to harsh, so instead.
Kai, do you like "The Shining" too? That is my all-time favorite movie! Well, that and "Rocky Horror Picture Show."

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 03/09/2003, 8:15 PM
Right-wing rocker

Default Re: t.A.T.u. Performance

Quote:
Originally posted by Jericho
Is it just me, or did those t.A.T.u. girls lip sync their entire performance of "All The Things She Said"?

I swear, their "live" performance of that song sounded suspiciously similar to the recorded version!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that! I thought that their supposedly "live" performance sounded exactly like the recorded version, too. Plus Mad Dog pointed out that one of the girls knocked over a mic stand, and moved the mic away from her face, yet singing was still heard. Hmmm . . .

I hate pop music!

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 03/09/2003, 8:19 PM
Right-wing rocker

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
Sadly everyone, Debra Wilson was completely absent from this show AGAIN which makes me believe she's the next Nicole/Alex/Phil to do this.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I hope Debra doesn't leave, but if she does, I'd at least like her to get to say a heartfelt goodbye like Nicole did. Debra's my absolute favorite!

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 03/09/2003, 8:37 PM
Right-wing rocker

Here's my review of last night's episode:

Bomb, Bomb, Bomb: The only thing I liked about this was the fact that Bobby had his chance in the spotlight, and I think he did very well considering the material they gave him to work with. I'm so sick of the lame R&B and rap parodies. There's other music out there. I think this sketch also highlighted the fact that it's time Aries Spears hit the road.

CSI: Probably one of the only good sketches in this episode. Mike and Mo did an excellent job!

Angela: I liked this one a lot. Stephnie is excellent in the role of Angela, and these sketches never fail to make me laugh. It was kind of long, but that's my only complaint.

Queen Of Queens: Frank's impression in this was good. It was also short, which I liked. Other than that, though, it didn't make a huge impression on me.

Jump Rope #5: I'm getting a little tired of these sketches by now, but it did a good job spoofing that Grand Theft Auto video game. The girls who do this, though, are pretty talented.

Commercials: This was OK. It wasn't that great though.

Saddam's Party: Michael was good in this, but the sketch itself was pretty bad. Like a lot of others here, I'm tired of the 9-11 humor.

Bush Family Fitness: Frank and Mo did well with what little material they had here. This sketch didn't strike a chord with me, either.

ENCORE - Murderer (#714): Stephnie and Michael were good here, but this sketch went on for too long. If it had been shorter, it would have been better.

Dating Your Mom: This, in my opinion, sucked. Neither Ike or Josh did particularly well here. The writing was pretty bad too.

t.A.T.u. Performance: Wow. What to say about this. I dislike pop music, so that already made this performance bad for me. It was a terrible act, too. The girls couldn't seem to keep the mics in order, and I KNOW they did not sing that song themselves. And all these pop acts bitch about why people tease them for lip-synching! Good God, this was just terrible. Except for the fake lesbian action, which was mildly funny, and the problems with the mics, this was stupid. I hope MADtv only had them on to laugh at them.

Close/ Jump Rope #6: This was alright, but like I stated before, these sketches are getting kind of old to me.

Overall: This was definately one of the worst episodes of the season, if not the worst itself. The writing wasn't good, and some of the performances were bad too. The only things I liked were Bobby's perfomances, and the tiny bits with Stephnie that we got to see. What made this bad episode even worse, in my opinion, was the fact that Debra was completely absent from this one. She's a majorly important cast member, and very talented, so she left a gaping hole in this episode. I also missed Stephnie. I hope they do better next time.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 03/10/2003, 12:48 AM
Regular

Quote:
Frank's impression is only okay but for some reason it's the best compared to Will Sasso's, Christian's, Chris Parnell's and Will Ferrel's. Bush isn't easy to do and at least it wasn't annoying and the voice was close. 3/5
Will Ferrell's was the best I've seen so far since he already sort of looks and sounds like him. Frank looks nothing like Bush, but the voice is perfect and his impression is still better than Duguay's mediocre impression and Sasso's horrible one.

Quote:
Birdsitter: This was possibly one of the worst sketches of season 7, Rob said so himself.
When did you hear him say that?

Quote:
A very mixed bag. Aries for once actually changed his voice a little bit,
That's not saying much. His voice in this sounded similar to his real voice to me. Funny, though, seeing him play the OTHER James Brown instead of the singer.

Also, why was Simon in this episode? I thought he was gone from the show.

Old 03/10/2003, 10:43 AM

I think Frank's is the best Bush impression too - most impressionists can't nail the voice right, and the way his eyes kinda slant and the way his mouth moves, but Frank nails it spot-on, even though he's built nothing like him.

Rob rated the Murderer sketch as THE worst sketch of season seven, in the season seven overview.

The sketch with Simon was taped awhile ago. They don't show all the sketches taped in one episode together, they'll often show ones much later (such as Daphne Aguleira) and ones earlier than planned (like Angela).

BTW.. Debra isn't the first one to be absent this season too. Aries was absent, and the past couple episodes he's been appearing more than he usually does. Bobby was absent for two consecutive episodes, and now he gets more roles than he ever did. I'm sure Debra won't be going anywhere.
Plus, if that Daria R. person is right, Debra will be sticking around for another season.
Old 03/10/2003, 11:48 AM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
Rob rated the Murderer sketch as THE worst sketch of season seven, in the season seven overview.
Saying something like that makes season 7 sound like it was pretty good! That sketch was funny, dammit! The only thing I didn't like about it was Andrew Daly.

There were sooooo many much worse sketches than that one.

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 03/10/2003, 2:09 PM
It SaYz NiPpLe HoUnD!

The murderer sketch was pretty good. I especially liked it when Andrew Daly got choked by the telephone cord Another funny part was when Mike threw the little bird at the floor and then was like "OMG I just killed the bird!!!"
Old 03/10/2003, 2:20 PM

I definitely agree there were definitely worse ones.
Old 03/10/2003, 3:17 PM

BTW, if this does turn out to be Angela's last sketch after all, how do you think it turned out? I personally thought it was a pretty good idea. Although the character didn't really get to step out, by this time her personality was pretty well developed, and I think it's a good idea that they turned her to the roots of her first sketch. It reminded me of how they handled Antonia's last sketch, which I massively enjoyed Too bad the character only had five sketches though.

I guess this episode is the start of the Stephnie drought if this is true
Old 03/10/2003, 9:19 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Keepsakers

Saying something like that makes season 7 sound like it was pretty good! That sketch was funny, dammit! The only thing I didn't like about it was Andrew Daly.

There were sooooo many much worse sketches than that one.
I'll have to agree. The sketch was ok, but a sketch can be WAY worse than just "OK."

--Reality Check

Old 03/10/2003, 9:20 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Default Re: Re: t.A.T.u. Performance

Quote:
Originally posted by Bryansgirl
I hate pop music!
You're not alone. So do I.

--Reality Check