Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 14 (2008-2009)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite sketch of 1405?
I Love Lucy 2008 #1-2 4 25.00%
Show Open: Johnny Broadcasts to Mexico 0 0%
Weight Smashers 1 6.25%
Immigrants in Johnny's Dressing Room 0 0%
Condoleeza's Emergency Press Conference 5 31.25%
Celebrity Wedding Video: George Takei 0 0%
Fahrid: Voting Predictions 1 6.25%
Flirty News 1 6.25%
The View 2 12.50%
Uncle Ed at the Airport 1 6.25%
Obama's Speech Problem 1 6.25%
Extras: I Love Lucy 2008/Obama's Speech Problem 0 0%
Close: Nicole and Cast 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11/02/2008, 12:32 AM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmanismadformad View Post
Is it just me, or is Crista looking like she is being phased out when it comes to sketches where she use to be a mainstay? I mean she should have been in the View sketch. They could have said that Barbra Walters was having the problems and they were getting guests for her spot.
I fully agree with you on this. So far she could have been in the Mad Men open and probably the Albanian sketch too. I could have seen a potential Lindsay Lohan spot for her in the Lohan/Nanny sketch too.

As for the episode, is it really that good? Can someone torrent it? Fast?

Old 11/02/2008, 1:03 AM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Holy crap, this was actually a GOOD episode! I am pleasantly surprised. Lots of sets and in studio stuff, the sketches were genuinely funny and not just a few chuckles here and there, the new cast got a lot of focus, and even the extras were pretty good. It seems the three-week break did them some good.

Full review later.

And Michael DIRECTED the George Takei sketch. He didn't write it.

And... RIP Lauren Dombrowski.

Old 11/02/2008, 1:27 AM
Hardcore Fan

Shit, right when I'm doing National Novel Writing Month, MADtv becomes my top priority?

I hope I can make 50,000.
Old 11/02/2008, 1:31 AM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_light_888 View Post
As for the episode, is it really that good? Can someone torrent it? Fast?
It'll most likely be on Hulu and/or FOX on Demand tomorrow morning.

Also, does anyone else notice a difference a way the sketches are filmed? Something about the in-studio sketches looks way different from seasons past (maybe because of the new studio?). Not a complaint--just something I noticed.

Old 11/02/2008, 2:54 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADfan2004 View Post
Holy crap, this was actually a GOOD episode! I am pleasantly surprised. Lots of sets and in studio stuff, the sketches were genuinely funny and not just a few chuckles here and there, the new cast got a lot of focus, and even the extras were pretty good. It seems the three-week break did them some good.

Full review later.

And Michael DIRECTED the George Takei sketch. He didn't write it.

And... RIP Lauren Dombrowski.
You know when I saw Michael McDonald's name I promised myself I wouldn't say writing. I failed. As for the sketch. I'm surprise this didn't go to the unused sketch graveyard. Because we all know the William Shatner did not go to the wedding, so to have him not only there, but being the reverend was really inaccurate.

Who was Lauren Dombrowski? Was she a former writer, or director that I do not know about?

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)
Old 11/02/2008, 6:33 AM
Fresh Meat

I agree that this was a good episode, but in my opinion, the sketches were either really funny or unbearable to watch and just plain stupid. Like the flirty news, the Star Trek wedding skit, and the View. Those skits were awful.
Old 11/02/2008, 7:25 AM
n4yr

Lauren Dombrowski was a writer for MADtv for it's first 12 seasons and I think she was also an executiv producer. She was the last original writer to leave

It feels weird having Michael McDonald still directing

OMG will they stop splitting sketches into two parts that are completely unecessary to do so (I Love Lucy, that Johnny Sanchez open, and the Obama thingy) And enough of the outtakes/extras.

Besides that, I really enjoyed the episode. Even though I kinda changed the channel briefly during the second part of the Farhid thing to see SNL's cold opening.

Anywayz here be my review

I Love Lucy 08 (Both Parts): This was freakin hilarious, best sketch of teh night. Ms Parker does an awesome impression of her and I loved Crista in this too. Johnny's Ricky wasnt that godd though. A+

Johnny Opens the Show: I think this is the first time he has opened the show. This was kinda funny. Johnny is definately improving but he still has a long road ahead of him B+

Weight Smashers: Annoying and non original. I wonder if Matt really showed his junk when they filmed this. I know everyone here is really liking Matt but I'm just finding him and his characters really annoying C

Condi's Farewell Speach: Great to see Erica doing something. I actually found this pretty funny. I know next to nothing about Condi Rice except that she's really unaffective and uninfluential A

Star Trek Wedding: Matt's impression of Mr Shatner was terrrible, or maybe it's because I kept comparing it to Frank Caliendo's. Bobby's George Takei was pretty acurate though. I din't find this sketch that particular funny though C-

Farhid- Vote Guessing (all 3 parts): Ok I'll say it- I don;t like this character. Just plain annoying and not very original concept of guessing who black woman and old guy are going to vote for. It would've been funnier if they weren't voting for who he was guessing. C-

News Flirtation: Hmm don't know what to say. Another great role for Erica. Lol at each time the camera turned to Ne-Yo. B

The View: Okay, apparently the cast of the view changed from 5 to 3. Where's Babwa Watwers. Arden's Hasselback is completely off base. Nicole's Bahar was pretty acurate. Erica's Whoopi was subpar. Lauren made the sketch though. B+

Outrageous Airport Fees: Hmm this was kinda funny especially when Matt started wearing Crista's clothes. This is the first sketch of the season that was written by a cast member believe it or not. I don't know, I'm just finding MAtt annoying. C

Bad Campaign Advice: kind of pointless C

Extras: I have nothing to say, no rating

Hmm Nicole closed the show again

All in All: B+ episode. Nice to see that Keegan and Bobby weren't in everything. This ep was all about the FP's which I'm glad it was. And Crista and Arden weren't in very much. Matt was in just about everything. An improvement over 1403 but this season still needs soem work.

Old 11/02/2008, 7:48 AM
Fresh Meat

I really liked the episode. I thought its was great that it was dominated by Matt, Eric, Erica, and Lauren. (Bobby and Keegan were barely in it) It was also nice to see Johnny in most sketches considering he has been almost absent in the other episodes this season.

I loved the News Flirtation sketch with Ne-Yo, and Matt in Weight Smashers, Bobby was great in Star Trek Wedding. And finally, Keegan is always amazing as Obama.
Old 11/02/2008, 1:53 PM
Hardcore Fan

Quick rundown here:

I Love Lucy 2008: Brilliant. Written AND performed well.

Johnny Opens the Show: One joke, carried out for wayy too long. Much like everything else MADtv does.

Weight Smashers One joke, once again.

Condi's Farewell Okay, so Condi was replaced by a robot, and is extra ghetto. Only one joke once again. Extra star for the use of Erica and her energy.

Star Trek Wedding Ouch. More than one joke here, but they all fell flat.

Farhid Why is this split into three? It's the same joke but then times three. Why??

Flirty News Okay, Mad. If there's one thing that makes you look like a crappier SNL, it's that you have exremely low production values on certain sketches. Why could you make such a nice "The View" set, and "Lucy" set, but such a horribly crappy news set with obvious greenscreening? Looking past the horrible set and graphics, there were some funny jokes in here, and loved how the camera switched back to Ne-Yo over and over

The View Good impressions, nice set, good makeup, bad jokes. Helga rips things up. Ok. Interesting that SNL did a "The View" skit too.

Outrageous Airport Fees We have what may just be a character!!! And it wasn't unfunny. Nice set, too.

Campaign Advice Nice to see Obama in a setting other than onstage doing an "address" or a reality show knockoff. His Obama impression seems to be sliding a bit, but I liked the jokes and writing here.

Extras Why are we doing Extras still? THEY GO AT THE CREDITS!!!!!! And the Obama thing didn't need to be an extra. It wasn't a blooper, it was quick, and it was funny. It could have gone right before the close.

Show Close Nicole again. She's extra peppy... And bloopers could have gone here instead of hugs.

Overall: They're getting the TYPES of sketches right, now PLEASE but writing on the front burner. Good jokes, PLEASE. This episode was severly hampered by one-joke sketches that carried on for far too long. Overall score:
Old 11/02/2008, 2:16 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

The episode is up on FOX on Demand now, so you can look at the sketches for a full review.

I Love Lucy 2008: This was pretty good. I like that they made it topical and fresh with the whole financial crisis. Johnny's Ricky Ricardo was pretty bad, though. 4/5.

Open: Johnny Broadcasts to Mexico: I liked this one. Johnny's been MIA for the last few episodes, so it's actually nice to see him. And the part about the places to sneak across the border was funny. I don't know if this is really relevant, though, because it doesn't seem like illegal immigration is as big a deal as it was even a year ago. 3.5/5

Weight Smashers: This one was REALLY good. Matt got a good role, and it was just good. 4/5

Immigrants in Johnny's Dressing Room: Don't have much to say about it. Short, but it was pretty good. Short, sweet, and to the point. 3/5

Condoleeza Rice Press Conference: I really wish they'd start building sets for press conference skits again instead of just putting up a podium and a curtain on the main stage. Yeah, it's effective, but it would have more of a sense of realism that way. That being said, I LOVED this one. Erica's Condi is clearly exaggerated, but it was good. 5/5

Celebrity Wedding Videographer: This was one of the weaker sketches of the night. It wasn't unbearable horrible, but it wasn't that great. Matt's William Shatner leaves much to be desired, and the whole shtick about Eric's character not actually being gay wasn't hit hard enough. The only part that really got a laugh out of me was the Jamaican part. 2/5

Farhid Guesses Voting Habits #1-3: These were very good. Much better than his first appearance. I liked that they actually built a set for the convenience store instead of using a real one. But I guess this means that he got a new store since the register was on a different angle. Anyway, part three was the best ("We rock the vote!"), but I'm gonna rate them all as one sketch. 4/5

I Love Lucy 2008 #2: Another short reprise. Also not bad, but I'm not sure why they used it. I'm not sure why Lucy would cheat with Fred(?). It would make more sense for Ethel to cheat with Ricky. 3/5

Flirty News: That set looked cheap as hell. Anyway, I thought this was quite possibly the weirdest use of a guest star ever. He doesn't play a musician, he barely even sings. Though I guess that's kind of cool since playing a news anchor isn't something you'd expect from a guest like Ne-Yo. As for the sketch itself, it started off pretty lame, but it started to pick up in the end. I especially like the part where Matt says they're supposed to report serious news, then he goes into a fluff story about Lindsay Lohan. They probably should've covered up Ne-Yo's tatoo, though. 3.5/5

The View: Erica's Whoopi wasn't that good. It was like she was straining too much to get her voice down. They also didn't do much with Arden's Elizabeth, especially since they bring up the election (unlike SNL's View parody, which suspiciously aired at around the same time ). Anyway, this was another fairly weak sketch, much like I had thought. It had its moments, but it was just Lauren throwing shit around the stage. 2/5

Uncle Ed at the Airport: I expect this to be a new recurring character. Nice set use, which is a plus. It started off slow, but it really started to pick up once he started stuffing his wife's clothes in his pants. 3.5/5

Obama's Speech Problem: I agree with the idea that his Obama impression is getting a little stale, but I liked this sketch. I liked how they redid the Obama picture with Keegan like they did with the McCain picture with Bobby. Anyway, nice sketch. 4/5

MADtv Extras: I Love Lucy 2008: I REALLY wish they'd stop doing these things, but at least they didn't take up a whole segment like they did in 1401 and 1402. They kept to a minimum, which I can appreciate, and this one was actually pretty funny. This is a blooper, so no rating.

MADtv Extras: Obama Speech Alternate Ending: Why didn't they just put this as part of the regular sketch? It aired almost immediately after that one. Either way, this was pretty funny. Again, blooper/extra, so no rating.

Close: Nicole with the cast: I'm glad they're bringing back cast closings, but other than that, it was a pretty typical show close. Cast close, so no rating.

Final Thoughts: This is exactly how the rest of the season should be. Was this episode perfect? No, but it was by far the best one so far this season. They really got the format down pat. There was A TON of in-studio stuff, which is great. There was no filler bullshit like Rice & Beans or Red Carpet bits, there was only one remote sketch, and they kept the Extras to a minimum (which, while not as good as doing away with them entirely, is pretty good). The sketches didn't drag on (though there were a couple that really didn't need to be split up), and they were legitimately funny. 1401 and 1402 barely even got a chuckle out of me, but this episode was genuinely making me laugh the whole time. I never once even thought about switching over SNL. It's a shame, though, that this episode probably got CRUSHED by SNL this week because John McCain was on.

Great job, MADtv. Keep doing what you did in this episode and this could be a top season. /5

Old 11/02/2008, 11:37 PM
Hardcore Fan

They've been depending a lot on featured players because there's only 6 repertory players, I believe.

Btw I'm in a place with lots of mosquitoes and that can't get to Hulu or Fox on Demand, so someone please torrent. Thanks again.

This episode sounds so good...
Old 11/03/2008, 1:57 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

I'm waiting for torrents too .

This is looking to be a good episode!

Old 11/03/2008, 9:53 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Just watched this episode on Fox on Demand and thought overall, it was an interesting episode. Tons of Matt, Erica, Lauren and Johnny! I'm not going to do a full episode review, as this episode had like a million different parts, but I will say that sometimes I like the sketches split up. In the placement of the episode, it works. I also love the Extras. Bloopers are my favorite.

The only stand out sketch to me was Condi. The rest were good, but not as great as what Erica brought to the table. And I'd like to see more of Lauren outside of wacko-bananas characters. Her role in Uncle Ed was a nice change.
Old 11/03/2008, 10:31 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

You know I'm trying to watch this on demand on the fox site and I can't. I think they are having technical problems right now because to program I am using seems to be working on other sites. I really hope it works because that is the only place I can watch the episode.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 11/03/2008, 11:05 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

A review of SNL's vs MADtv's "The View" parodies:

The View: SNL vs. MADtv
For all of the heightened awareness of Saturday Night Live this fall, you'd think that perhaps the media or viewers likewise would tune in to see how MADtv is spoofing current affairs. But, ah, ha, no. You would be wrong. Both SNL and MADtv spoofed the women of ABC's The View on Saturday night, but when The View convened for "Hot Topics" this morning, they didn't even mention MADtv. It's as if it didn't air at all. Talk about a snub. Not that the folks at FOX are trying to get heard or mentioned -- as I type this on Monday afternoon, they still hadn't posted their episode online at Hulu.

Most of the gripes this morning centered not on how SNL mocked them, but rather about how they left out co-hosts Barbara Walters and Sherri Shepherd, with Walters adding later, perhaps it's for the best not to ask for further mockery. They had SNL head writer Seth Meyers on the show Monday, too, and talked to him about SNL's politics.

But the fact that both SNL and MADtv parodied the same thing on the same night gives us a chance to compare apples to apples, so to speak. So. How did they break it down and try to make it funny?

SNL: Put men in female roles, Kenan Thompson (Whoopi) and Fred Armisen (Joy), which can be looked at either as sign that SNL lacks strong female comedians in the cast, or on the flip side, that the show carries on in grand comedic tradition of absurdity by having men play women. Either way, Kenan and Fred both shined in their roles. Kristen Wiig (Elisabeth) not exactly on point but OK. Barbara and Sherri overlooked. Instead, show cast Casey Wilson as Jen Aniston and Ben Affleck as Alec Baldwin to round out roundtable. Both did well with what they had been given. Show's current conflicts heightened, with Elisabeth pictured as someone who gets all of her info from Internet rumors.

MADtv: Erica Ash (pictured as Whoopi) Nicole Parker (Joy), Arden Myrin (Elisabeth) are efficient and proficient, but compared to the guys on SNL, lack a certain spark. (Does SNL automatically get an edge by crossing gender roles?) Barbara and Sherri overlooked here, too, while Lauren Pritchard plays American Gladiator Helga as guest host trying to find her feminine side, which drives the plot of their sketch.

So SNL went with the current political turmoil on the set, while MADtv went broad with physical comedy. SNL's tactics provided more fodder for watercooler talk and Monday morning emails. What about the MADtv sketch made you want to talk about it on Monday morning, much less the women of The View, who themselves were the subjects of the sketch?

SNL also, obviously, went live, whereas MADtv taped in advance. In terms of energy in the room and onscreen, SNL wins on that front, too. If MADtv wants to grab our attention, then they're going to need to shake things up somehow. I know the newcomers over there (Matt Braunger, Eric Price, Pritchard and Ash) are doing some good things, but, well, how will everyone else ever know about it?

http://thecomicscomic.typepad.com/th...ew-snl-vs.html

Old 11/03/2008, 11:47 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

As for the not putting the video on Hulu thing (which I could care less about since those SOB's will only air there footage to US viewers) I think that is because it's not working on there own player. I've tried to watch the episode on the Fox site and the player comes up but nothing happens.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 11/04/2008, 3:15 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

Still no torrents, by the way.

Old 11/04/2008, 7:43 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Is anyone else having trouble watching the episode on the Fox website? Everytime I try to watch it the player doesn't play and then when I click on the video the page becomes unresponsive. I've tried looking at other places but I can't find it anywhere else. I don't have it recorded so I can't watch it and I need to watch it to write the summary.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 11/04/2008, 11:03 PM
Totally F****able

I had trouble watching it last sunday.......it would get about 2/3 of the way through then would just restart from the beginning again........it did it several times.

Old 11/06/2008, 2:01 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Default My #1405 Review

I Love Lucy 2008 #1: Best sketch of a great episode! Nicole's Lucy was spot on, and it's a shame we won't be seeing more of it. The highlight of the sketch was anytime Lucy was there. So close to perfect.

Show Open: Johnny Broadcasts to Mexico: Ok. Not very original but it had it's moment.

Weight Smashers: Pretty creative. It kept getting more funny as Don was more and more willing to pull his pants down to show his penis. Very well done, but it did leave me wanting more.

Immigrants in Johnny's Dressing Room: Kind of short and not that funny. It's almost barely worth rating.

Fahrid: Voting Predictions #1: Good, but not very creative.

Condoleeza's Emergency Press Conference: Ok, I'll be honest. It was great seeing Erica actually have a decent role, but I don't know why the writers chose this one. With Condi leaving the house soon, and the fact that it's been done by 3 different women on MADtv, I don't know why they chose this for her. Another problem I had with this sketch was... Well, I'll just say this, I couldn't understand about half of this sketch because of the black talk. What the h*** does trill mean? It was weird and a little too outlandish.

I Love Lucy #2: I honestly don't know why they did this one. It didn't really go with the first one. I think the only reason why they did it was because they didn't want to throw out the set without getting as much as they could from it.

Celebrity Wedding Video: George Takei: I'm surprised this sketch didn't go into the unaired graveyard. With the fact that William Shatner did not go to the wedding, and the fact that now gay marriage is illegal in California as of 2 days ago (although they can be forgiven for that) it's very inaccurate. As for the sketch itself, it was funny. Bobby does a great Takei. The laugh is infectious enough, and the fact that it was directed by the great Michael McDonald is better. Decent, but inaccurate.

Fahrid: Voting Predictions #2: Good, but again, not very creative.

Flirty News: Not too bad. I thought that it was pretty funny. So many people on her have said that the set was bad, but I didn't think so. I thought it looked better than most news studios. I don't know really who Ne-Yo is, but I do know that he is a singer, and he did a good job acting in this sketch. Funny and creative. Something that Johnny's sketches were missing on this night.

The View: The fact that this aired 4 minutes before the SNL one was great, but as for the sketch is was not very funny. It was just a little too outlandish, and since I don't watch the View, I really don't know if this is funny or not.

Uncle Ed at the Airport: The first sketch written by a castmember (Matt Braunger) and it was great! I laughed so much at this sketch, because it is so true no matter how old you are. I really hope this becomes a recurring character because it's a good one, and MADtv needs a lot more recurring characters these days.

Fahrid: Voting Predictions #3: This one was the best one of them all. It was more creative than the other ones, and the rock jokes were funny.

Obama's Speech Problems: I must say like many of you I am kind of getting tired of Obama on the show. I just want a break from him for a few episodes. Keegan's Barack is the best there is, there is no doubt about that but if MAD keeps putting him on every night, that distinction will soon change in a bad way. Who here is up for an Obama break?

MADtv Extra: I Love Lucy Outtakes: Funny, but not really a sketch.

Obama's Speech Problem Alternate Scene: I kind of wish this had been in where the cast closing was, or in the credits. Why does every episode have to have a closing cast good by?

Close: Nicole and Cast: Nicole closes the show for a 3rd time.

Best male castmember in this episode: Matt Braunger: The first and only person to write a sketch so far this season. It is a constantly switching battle between him and Eric on who is the best rookie castmember in my opinion.

Best female castmember in this episode: Nicole Parker: Her Lucy was great, and that is enough to get her this award. This is just one more episode that proves how much I am going to miss Nicole when she is gone.

Rise from the Dead!