Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 13 (2007-2008)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite sketch of #1315?
Albanian Idol 5 20.00%
Opening: The New & Improved Bobby Lee 0 0%
Domi-Lost 5 20.00%
Video Response: Star Wars Stories 3 12.00%
Johnny Gan: Tching Ling! 1 4.00%
Commercial: G-Mobile's Phone 5 #1 0 0%
Commercial: G-Mobile's Phone 5 #2 1 4.00%
Nacho Hernandez: Viva la Vote! 5 20.00%
Commercial: G-Mobile's Phone 5 #3 0 0%
New Fantasy Film 1 4.00%
Paul's Final Interview 4 16.00%
Commercial: Ray's Chain-Link Fences 0 0%
Closing: Arden & Cast/Domi-Lost Outtakes 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04/27/2008, 10:05 AM
Fresh Meat

Default Best show they have had in years

Is the writing finally returning to form a little?

Old 04/27/2008, 10:06 AM
Hardcore Fan

Finally, yes.
Old 04/27/2008, 1:07 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Yikes. And the last few episodes were so good.

On the plus side, the production values this episode were really high, and the sets they built on stage were really nice. Plus, Dominic Monaghan was very well utilized, probably one of the best uses of a guest star in recent years.

But other than that... yikes.

Old 04/27/2008, 3:42 PM
Fresh Meat

Default yeah

you guys are too technical
just watch the damn show
Old 04/27/2008, 7:15 PM
Fresh Meat

Heart Reeeview time!

If anyone cares, here's my review:

Albanian Idol: Good acting on Dan's part, good singing on Nicole's part, not that funny, though. I really wanted it to be an actual American Idol parody and it should have parodied Brooke White's forgetting the lyrics or featured the idols working with a crazy celebrity or something. I wanted to see Michael as Simon again!! Come on!!

New Improved Bobby Lee: The pantsing of Dominic Monaghan was welcome.

Domi-Lost: Great use of the outdoors and Dominic and Bobby together is somewhat funny.

Youtube, Star Wars stories: Good parody of lazy people making videos in their own home and have nothing to talk about. Not very funny, though.

Johnny Ghan: Pongo is actually quite the funny character and his blank expression represents mine when watching Johnny Ghan.

G-mobile phone commercials:

Nacho Hernandez: Johnny was actually funny for once and the laugh track on this one helped his performance a bit.

New Fantasy Film: All I remember from this one is Daheli's one second of airtime. Great distribution of cast talent, guys! I give 4 stars minus 3 1/2 for Daheli's lack of airtime throughout the entire show.

Paul's Final Interview: A McD-written sketch and a good and funny one at that! It made me laugh out loud and I am very happy that there was a genuinely funny sketch in this episode. Comedy back to its roots is what it is!

Fence commercial: Mean, but funny for what it was.

Overall notes: It looks like the overall quality of the show has improved, yay! It is finally a sketch show: no animations, no clip art, and no stock footage. That is a step in the right direction, now they just need funnier sketches! Things look like they are turning around with McD and Johnny finally delivering laughs. Nicole is a talented singer, Dan's proved his worth, and Daheli has... I hope they keep this quality up, and improve the writing a bit (or let McD write some more).
Old 04/27/2008, 7:19 PM
Fresh Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopigeons64 View Post
you guys are too technical
just watch the damn show
1) We did watch it
2) We need a place to vent our rage about it!!
Old 04/27/2008, 7:26 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Good stuff, DJ! Boy, the new guys sure are putting the rest of you to shame!

Old 04/27/2008, 8:17 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Default G's Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
Good stuff, DJ! Boy, the new guys sure are putting the rest of you to shame!
Psshh whatever

Albanian Idol: This was clever and short. Not as great as previous American Idol parodies, but it was extremely funny when Jordan was impersonation Michael Jackson. Good stuff though.

New Improved Bobby Lee: Bobby was actually really good here. I enjoyed he ended his attempt at speaking to the play by using his famous catch phrase "uh-oh hot dog!" Him admitting that pulling down his pants and acting Asian is all he knows was pretty funny.

Domi-Lost: I love the chemistry between Bobby and Crista. Not only that, Dominic had some good chemistry with Bobby as well. The real kicker in this sketch was the end where Bobby thought he was married to Crista, and was actually married to Dominic.

Youtube: Star Wars Stories: This was okay, but it didn't stand out too much. The only thing I actually liked was its relevance to how people post pointless videos on youtube that have no importance what so ever.

Johnny Gan: Ching Ling: Out of all the Johnny Gan movie review segments, this was by far the best (which says a lot about the others). I enjoyed how the female stars were merely blow-up dolls, and Pango peeing on the door was just priceless. This had a really good amount of physical humor, something Bobby really specializes in.

Commercial: G-Mobile #1-3: How ironic; my nickname is G so I'm guessing I should change my service provider to G-Mobile--I'm kidding. Anyways, this wasn't that great but it was nice to see some commercial parodies again because I know people who love to call nonstop simply because the minutes being used are free.

Nacho Hernandez: Johnny had very little airtime last night, but in that airtime he truly nailed it. WOW. This sketch had me on the floor rolling literally; that's how much I liked it. The racial humor was clever, and while the jokes may have been stereotypical, they're actually pretty accurate. Major props to Johhny for pulling it off

New Fantasy Film: This one had potential and it had a great use of the cast. My only problem was that the jokes didn't really show up until the Nancy Grace part--and believe me that woman needed to be lampooned because she is just awful in reality. Good job on Nicole's part for the impression, and as mentioned before, the sketch had a good cast distribution.

Paul's Final Interview: You know what only one word can truly describe every dynamic of this sketch: PRICELESS. This is the type of the stuff that made Michael famous to begin with.

Ray's Chain Link Fences: For a second I thought this was going to be a PSA with Tori McLachlan just like the original with Sarah McLachlan. Unfortunately it had only one joke, and it was rather mean and uncalled for but hey s*** happens.

Overall: Tonight's episode gets an 8/10 from me. Here's why. First of all, the writing was actually decent, if anything reminiscent of S12's writing. The cast was distributed fairly, not having one outshine the other entirely. With that in mind, and I'll probably get a lot of heat for this, last night's MVP was Bobby Lee. As far as the females go, that has to be handed over in bifurcated fashion: I'm giving it to Nicole and Crista. MADtv has one more episode left for the season; here's to hoping that they go out with a bang

Old 04/27/2008, 9:36 PM
Hardcore Fan

Oh, yeah. I forgot MVPs. I'm going to say ... wait for it... JOHNNY here, with some doubt. While he was only in one sketch, and did only one thing, he nailed that one thing. It's a great character, and a hilarious one. This was the sketch that felt season 12-ish to me (if they'd just get the dang lighting right... grrr) I think that sketch was what made me love this episode and have hope for Mad in it's new format. I would give it to Bobby, but honestly, though he was in a bunch of stuff, none of it really stood out.
Old 04/28/2008, 3:12 AM
Casual Fan

A couple of people have made comments about Daheli. Can I ask why?

What's she done wrong?
Old 04/28/2008, 3:45 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADoz View Post
A couple of people have made comments about Daheli. Can I ask why?

What's she done wrong?
Go here.

Old 04/28/2008, 6:21 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Just watched the episode on the miracle that is Hulu.com, and for the most part I enjoyed this episode. It seems a bit short, even though it was the standard length. I'm not sure what it was, but this episode felt a little off.

Albanian Idol - As I read the reviews I thought this was going to be an Albino Idol, you know, white skin, red eyed creepers singing in falsetto voices or something dumb like that, but this was good. Keeping Oster as the host really makes it hard to like the guy. He almost (gulp!) makes me miss having Ike around. People think stars are pretty, so I'll give this a 3/5.

Opening: The New & Improved Bobby Lee - The first of many appearances by Dominic this episode! I was shocked by the amount of times he showed up, like a real life guest star, and not a one-sketch wonder. Besides that, I didn't like this sketch very much.

Domi-Lost - As a LOST fan, I enjoyed it. Nicole and Crista has some good parts, it was well acted, good location shoot, nothing to complain about here!

Video Response: Star Wars Stories - If only every YouTube response video was this good. The ending was predictable, but I enjoyed the sketch for the most part.

Johnny Gan: Tching Ling! - Wait, what? I may have accidentally enjoyed a Johnny Gan sketch? What has this world come to!? I really did enjoy this sketch, and I think this did far more with the Johnny Gan character that any of his movie review sketches have ever done. Maybe... (double gulp!!) the best sketch of the night?!

Commercial: G-Mobile's Phone 5 Another good sketch! What's with me being pleased by an episode of season 13? They were short enough, funny enough, and well acted enough that I though that they too, may be a candidate for best sketch(es) of the night.

Nacho Hernandez: Viva la Vote! - NOW I'M ENJOYING JOHNNY?!? The crowd loved this character, and that in turn made me slightly enjoy it as well. It had enough racism without being too racist, enough politics without being too political, and it was a sketch that worked well on stage.

New Fantasy Film - Overly positive reviews must be boring to read. Another sketch I enjoyed, and it was a good twist on the regular sketch I would have expected to see. Can't tell if I like Nicole's Nancy Grace or Amy Poehler's Nancy Grace more, but that's irrelevant to this review. FOUR STARS!

Paul's Final Interview One of those sketches I feel like we've seen before. It was kind of a mix of a lot of other funnier sketches, only it was less funny. We've seen Michael go to the bathroom in front of us before, we've seen Michael put his ass in the air, it's nothing new. If anything positive, it wasn't awful, and the production values looked nice.

Commercial: Ray's Chain-Link Fences - MAD is getting better about awful static image sketches. Not as funny as others, still funnier than the Larry King sketches (which I will continue to say until I see something less funny than Larry King sketches).

Closing: Arden & Cast/Domi-Lost Outtakes - You can't judge a closing, my only request is more outtakes in the future.

My cast member MVP? They were all spread out pretty evenly in this episode, but I was probably most impressed with Keegan and Jordan in the Phone 5 sketches. Finale coming up? Bummer. Let's hope we make it to Season 14.
Old 04/28/2008, 6:33 PM
Administrator

Well, it may have taken 30+ weeks, but it appears my incessant pestering is *finally* starting to pay off!

Keep 'em comin', folks!

Old 04/29/2008, 9:55 AM
Administrator

Post bw's Review of #1315

Albanian Idol: Having just gone on a "Without You" YouTubing spree after Carly Smithson's ill-fated Idol performance a few weeks back, I, for one, understood the joke here, but, uh... did anyone else? Like, in the entire world? The parodies you guys throw together are, again, going to go over my head from time to time, but Christ, they shouldn't go over the heads of your *entire* audience! Now, one could certainly argue there isn't a whole lot to "get" here, but therein lies the problem -- if even I, someone *with* the requisite prior knowledge, didn't get anything out of these performances, I can only imagine how everyone else felt. Worse still, there's an even more pressing concern here -- this wasn't so much a parody as it was a straight rehash of the Bulgarian Idol incident with different songs, a barbarian, and, taking a page from all other successful media, a pinch of Ryan Seacrest for good measure. Oh, and also, there weren't any jokes. Despite these seemingly show-stopping flaws, though, as a whole, this wasn't a *total* wash; Dan, for example, was great as -- you guessed it -- the host (), and I also liked the Albanian takes on Randy and Paula. At first, I found myself wondering why Crista was playing the Paula character, but it quickly dawned on me: MADtv + music = Nicole Parker on vocals! What will they ever do without this girl? Enjoy your extra eight episodes in the recording studio, my dear! In any event, since Crista summarizes this sketch best, I'll let her cap this one off:

Opening: The New & Improved Bobby Lee: To recap, this was the third or fourth sketch about how low-brow, predictable, and repetitive Bobby is. I hope the irony wasn't lost on anyone. Anyway, as someone who's gotten significant mileage out of poking fun at ol' Bobby over the years -- as a matter of fact, I think my Bobometer is just about to roll over to zero -- this is the kind of Bobby outing I can truly get behind, even if it *has* been done before. Best of all is that, this time around, the material isn't coming from those who work with the man every week and are constantly faced with the unenviable task of molding his immeasurable talent into something half-way watchable -- it's coming from someone who, presumably, doesn't have a whole lot of time to watch the show, and yet, has still identified what all of us here at Planet MADtv have. In and of itself, that, to me, is funnier than all seven years worth of Bobby in his undies put together. Maybe that's just me, though. Either way, a guest star writing his own material? And genuinely *funny* material, at that? Color me impressed! Here's a thought -- as long as nobodies like Jon Reep, Steve Byrne, and our beloved Cragg are appearing on the show, how's about having me on sometime? I have one hell of a sketch idea in mind for Crista and I, the likes of which will surely wow audiences nationwide and... coat the inside of my mouth with the sweet taste of her saliva. If I have the time, I might even include the accepted standard of two or more jokes. Worth a shot, no? Fine, be like that! I'm confident you'll see the error of your ways in time, so until then, I leave you with this conclusion: Oster laid it down hard in #1308 and I'm still loving both of Crista's openings (hey, get your minds out of the gutter -- mine needs its space), but if this wasn't the best opening of the season, it definitely ranks amongst its, if you'll pardon the extended double pun, stiffest competition. I can't in all good conscience give this a five -- it *is* a Bobby sketch, after all (ZING!) -- but I'm sure a solid 4.5 will suffice. With that, then, I bid thee farewell, 99,999.9!

Domi-Lost: First off, am I the only one who was crestfallen by the lack of full-frontal by Crista? Okay, okay... I'll quit while I'm still ahead. So, Domi-Lost. First off (for real this time), I should point out that, despite having only seen a single episode of Lost (and probably not even the full hour, at that), surprisingly, I found a lot to like in this sketch. Whether or not that's because the Lost phenomenon is inescapable -- yeah, the writing is highly convoluted, and yeah, that's become common knowledge among TV viewers -- that, to me, is the mark of a truly great parody. Even with Bobby at the helm, this was consistently funny throughout, and although it too had some stiff competition (don't bother looking for the joke this time around; it's not there), it was *probably* my favorite sketch of the night. Speaking of irony, I actually had a good chuckle at Bobby's invisibility scene here. Not only was it a great gag in light of the prior segment, this week's customary editing gaffe -- the fact that, after he "pulled down" his diaper, the blurred portion very clearly contained a diaper-shaped white splotch -- put it over the top for me. On the bright side for the editing team, the black smoke monster was a good (albeit simple) effect, and I cracked a smile of recognition over the Photoshopping of the S13 promo images into that wedding photo. Bobby's nowhere *near* that tall, mind you -- I would've been a *much* better match for my girl -- but I guess you can't win 'em all, can you? That, of course, *finally* brings us back to dear Crista, which means this will likely end up being my longest review of the week. Excited? I thought so! For starters, having her play two roles instead of bringing Arden in? Loved it. Let's see more of that in the future! Next up, as if Crista wasn't a potent enough comedic force by her own merits, whenever she, as herself, is plunked into situations where she doesn't quite belong, hilarity never fails to ensue. This sort of juxtaposition is something that needs to be done *far* more often. Obviously, it worked to far greater effect in last year's Shawne Merriman football sketch in which she, presumably, was given free reign to do her thang, but it was still great to see her playing herself here -- not Terrence, the cross-dressing cave-dweller with the clubfoot, not Nicole Parker, the MADtv cast member/experienced outdoorsman (outdoorswoman?), but instead, just... Crista. Just wearing a sweater. Just oot and aboot in the wilderness for some reason. Had I not been spoiled several weeks back by promo images, she would've had me in stitches here by simple virtue of her presence, and that, I think, is something truly special. Maybe that's just me, though. [In fact, it probably is. ] Speaking of promo images, let's get on snapping some high resolution, 5000x8000 bikini shots, photographers! What are these people paying you for!? Anyway, temporarily moving beyond Crista and back to the topic at hand (as much as I hate to do it), the overarching point here is that I thoroughly enjoyed this sketch. Once again, not worthy of five stars, but once again, close. Thumbs up!

Video Response: Star Wars Stories: Well, I personally don't partake in YouTube culture, as I simply can't be bothered to waste precious minutes of my life on the extensive societal contributions of those who go online to bitch about the work of others in video form -- I, for one, have better things to do with my time, such as go online to bitch about the work of others in text form -- but it's clear to even me that this is something that needed to be parodied. The problem? Jordan, once again, failed to take it far enough over the top. I think you'll all agree this is the kind of sketch Crista would've blown out of the water, which, I believe, is further proof still that her supposed "rampant overacting" -- a technique she has utilized and *continues* to utilize only where appropriate -- definitely has its place. Admittedly, her presence here would've spoiled the punchline to some degree, but on the whole, this *is* her forte, and anyone incapable of matching her heat should kindly stay the hell out of the kitchen. On the bright side, this was certainly good for what it was, and while I'm unable to award 3.5 stars -- again, my baseline standard of acceptability -- I briefly considered doing so. Better that than the alternative, right?

Johnny Gan: Tching Ling!: So, this is the third time this season we've seen possibly the worst character in MADtv history, and meanwhile, Crista's lineup has been, for all intents and purposes, benched? I'm speechless. Each and every time Johnny Gan hits my television screen, I can't help but put my head in my hands and shake it back and forth in disgust throughout the duration of the sketch. He's just that painful. I'm in actual, physical pain when I watch Johnny Gan. I mean, at least I could flip the channel back in the day when Stuart, Rusty, Fightin' Ron, and McDonald's other 27,000 brain-hemorrhagingly awful characters showed up, but now, like the dumbass I am, I've committed myself to submitting a review each week, so I no longer have any such luxury. This brings me great rage; yes, possibly even greater rage than being denied Crista's midriff. The bright side here is that the various sight gags in the "Tching Ling" trailer combine to make this the most watchable Johnny Gan to date, but mind you, that's akin to saying, "the view of the parking lot and my doctor's warm fingers combined to make this my most enjoyable invasive rectal examination to date". I realize that's not even a particularly funny slam, but you'll have to bear with me for the time being -- my brain has gone numb just *discussing* this sketch. In the interests of getting out before I cause irreversible damage, then, this was, again, the most watchable Johnny Gan to date (no, I'm not counting the original), but if you're expecting anything higher than one star here, I'm afraid you've got another thing comin'.

Commercial: G-Mobile's Phone 5 #1: I have but five things to say about these segments: No, no, no, no, and NO. I mean, I'm glad this week's batch of uninspired filler wasn't as blatant as it has been in weeks past, but this was the very *definition* of "concept over comedy" -- beyond the concept, there was nothing here at all. In fact, I'm throwing down the gauntlet this time -- *I* could write better material than this dreck, and you can print that statement out, sign my name beside it, and take it all the way to the bank! Uh, whatever that means. Short story even shorter, these were even worse than this week's Johnny Gan outing, and *that's* saying something!

Commercial: G-Mobile's Phone 5 #2: Dude.

Nacho Hernandez: Viva la Vote!: Ladies and gentlemen, Johnny Sanchez has done something impressive -- I repeat, Johnny Sanchez has done something impressive! Please remain calm, return to your homes, and await further instructions. THIS IS NOT A TEST! With that much-needed PSA out of the way, then, let's begin discussing this most monumental of monumental events. Taking a page from the book of Anjelah and Daheli, it seems Johnny has finally picked through his stand-up, identified his most successful bit -- the one portion of his act I genuinely enjoyed, no less -- and fleshed it out into a full-fledged character. I must admit, it translated well! Make no mistake -- the jokes here will never in a million years be mistaken for Carlins, but this time around, Johnny's top-notch performance was *more* than enough to make up for the shortcomings in his writing. Not only does this mark the third time he's impressed me to date, best of all, it marks the very first time he's impressed me in a starring role. Coming from someone with such an extensive back-catalog of all-out blunders, what could be better than that? Hell, if he sticks around another four years, his cumulative track record of success just might end up equalling that which Crista delivers on a weekly basis! Or... maybe not. Whatever the case, I'm positively *thrilled* the man has finally stepped up to the plate and proven to us that he (possibly) deserves his spot on the cast. Had this sketch shown up in the second episode of the season instead of the second to last, in all likelihood, Johnny, you could've ridden the benefit of the doubt all the way into S14; still, better late than never, I suppose. Kudos! Anyway, I wanted to award 4.5 stars here, but the hacky, surely improvised conclusion brings this down to a very strong four. I mean, who does Johnny think he is? Me? Hitting on women in such a clumsy, ham-handed fashion that it's almost kinda sorta semi-half-charming is an acquired, highly refined skill, and it's not one you can just pull out of your sombrero on a whim, muchacho. No, this is the kind of thing that takes a lifetime of universal rejection to perfect, and even then, it's something that's probably best kept to one's self. Right, Crista? Yeah, YOU know!

Commercial: G-Mobile's Phone 5 #3: Okay, that seals it -- whoever decided wraparounds should be included in every single episode *MUST* be taken out back and shot. You, sir, are a fucking putz.

New Fantasy Film: I often wonder if the shortening of my reviews as each episode draws to a close is a symptom of the material or simply my own laziness. Whatever the case, prepare yourselves for more of the usual trickle-off, because I truly don't have much of anything to say here. I mean, I liked this sketch and all, it kept me smiling all the way through, but aside from Crista's acting, nothing here stood out as particularly excellent. I'll admit to laughing out loud after the three seconds that would surely be Daheli's first and last of the night (as it turns out, I was right), but that was more parts schadenfreude than anything else. The punchline? Somewhat amusing. The conclusion? Similarly amusing, I guess. Was Dan the pigman here? If so, that deserves a marginal thumbs up as well. Beyond that, this was what it was. Decent offering overall, but if *I* was the one making the calls, this baby wouldn't have made the final cut.

Paul's Final Interview: Question: Why, pray tell, is the word "doofus" gross? If one was a prude, one could certainly argue it classifies as dirty language, but "gross"? Say whaaaaaaat? Anyway, here's the thing -- I can always see a Michael McDonald writing credit coming from a mile off, and this was no exception. As far as his #1315 offering goes, it wasn't *awful*, per se -- it certainly had its moments -- but ten years into the man's tenure, I'm just so sick of his brand of humor at this point that, in my eyes, this was doomed to fall well short of its potential right from the get-go. In fact, the vast majority of my laughs here came complete with eye rolls, head shakes, and mutterings of, "Gee, I wonder who wrote this one!" On the bright side, his casting choices? Brilliant. If I have to sit through a Michael McDonald sketch, Crista and Keegan had damn well better be prominently featured. On the dark side? I found that I kept developing the overpowering urge to shoot myself in the face after each successive joke, but... at least the laughs were plentiful, I suppose, if not fully genuine. Overall, again, this was what it was. As it turns out, I didn't end up taking even a single bullet to the brain, so I guess that has to be a positive thing, right?

Commercial: Ray's Chain-Link Fences: Well, the conclusion didn't do much for me and the song hit a little too close to home, but at least this wasn't another G-Mobile segment. Good grief.

Closing: Arden & Cast/Domi-Lost Outtakes: If this wasn't simply luck of the draw -- that is, if genuinely funny outtakes were specifically selected here from one of the night's top sketches -- I guess that makes this the fourth consecutive week I've had one of my wishes granted. Mind you, because this one doesn't relate to Crista in any way, shape, or form, that's not *nearly* as exciting a prospect as it has been in weeks past, but a little extra assurance that the world continues to revolve around me is always nice. Now, let's just get my girl stripped down for the finale -- the most important of my remaining wishes -- and perhaps we can consider the latter half of this season a kinda sorta semi-half-success! Speaking of that loveliest of lovelies, ironically enough, Crista's laugh was the portion of this segment that brought *me* the most laughs. Only you, my dear, could steal a scene you weren't even in.

Overall: Truth be told, I think I once again had more fun writing my review this week than I did watching the episode, but I suppose that's bound to happen from time to time. Good news, though -- this time around, I actually have a few positive things to say in my conclusion. For starters, Dominic? First worthwhile guest star all season long, and probably one of the better guest stars of all-time. If you must continue bringing on celebrities we don't give two shits about (yeah, I know -- ratings, ratings, ratings!), please, choose from the ones who truly want to be there and are capable of contributing something -- not the ones who are only appearing to promote their latest project or, worse still, the ones who simply have nothing better to do with their time. Joey Fatone, I'm looking in your direction. To borrow a line from Crista, I've got more comedic talent in the tip of--well, you know the rest. Next on the agenda, of course, is Johnny. Any other week, and I'd be repeating the Aaron Carter line right about now, but after #1315? Well, I'm not sure it necessarily holds any less true -- to be perfectly fair, it *was* only one sketch (and not even the most brilliantly written one, at that) -- but again, better late than never, and something is always better than nothing. Well done, Johnny! Keep up the good work! On the negative end of this week's equation, Crista, once again, wasn't given a whole lot to do here (although you'd never know it by how many times I've mentioned her in my review ), but at least she continues to receive an acceptable amount of screen-time, I guess. I'd still like to see her receive more starring roles -- after all, when truly given a chance to shine, she never fails to do so -- but... at least she continues to receive an acceptable amount of screen-time, I guess. As for the show as a whole, the level of complete, utter shit that continues to make it through the script reading phase continues to confound me. I mean, do you guys have *any* idea how easy it would be to consistently score high? Really, all I've been asking all season long is that you make every sketch count; (3.5 * 12) / (5 * 12) = 7/10. It's just that simple. Toss a few five-star offerings on the fire, and all of a sudden, we're up to an eight or a nine, which is firmly within the boundaries of must-see television. Ultimately, I realize our ratings here at the site are worthless, but surely you guys want to be able to take pride in your work, right? As is, I just don't see how you could possibly do so. In any event, this week, I'm choosing to count the closing in my calculations, because, in a complete reversal of last week's proceedings, I can't in all good conscience rate this episode below the one prior. With that in mind, then, here's another just barely passable 5/10. Even though the unrelenting barrage of filler here ended up laying waste to your overall score, not a bad effort!

Episode MVP: Ladies and gentlemen, Johnny Sanchez is in contention for this week's MVP award -- I repeat, Johnny Sanchez is in contention for this week's MVP award! What are the odds, eh? This time around, we seem to have a close battle between Johnny and Dominic, with Dominic bringing more to the table in terms of writing and screen-time, and Johnny bringing more in terms of performance. It pains me to my very core to do this, but I think I'll actually toss ol' Johnny a bone here and make him my MVP of #1315. If he's with us for the long haul one way or the other, I guess the man could use a bit of encouragement!

Special Note: Regarding #1316, THIS COULD VERY WELL BE THE SERIES FINALE, and as such, I'd just like to make it perfectly clear that I don't want to see the finale of "The Bobby Lee Theme Hour" -- I want to see the finale of MADtv. Give the rest of the cast their due, for Christ's sake; after all, Bobby isn't the only one who won't be back next season. Beyond that, it'd be nice if you guys pulled together the rest of our suggestions for the finale as well, but I certainly won't be holding my breath in that regard. Just make it a good one, alright? Please?

Old 04/30/2008, 5:04 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

I watched the clips available on youtube, since the episode hasn't been uploaded on mininova.org. Haven't got much to say, but here goes:

The GREAT:

- Lil Joker / Nacho Hernandez. Kudos to Johnny on this one, seriously. This sketch consisted of nothing but Johnny and Arden standing in front of a brick wall backdrop doing an interview and it worked for the entire 3.5 minute duration. The interview / news report sketch is something we've seen alot this season, and is something that hasn't always worked, but it really did here, due to Johnny's performance. Definitely a character that deserves recurring. Arden was decent in her role also.

The GOOD:

- While the sketches weren't superb, Dominic Monaghan's contribution, like Neil Patrick Harris the week before, were genuine and seemed like he put effort into them. The Domi-Lost sketch was too "been there, parodied that" to be great, and the Movie sketch did not capitolise in its potential (although the make-up was kick ass) but still.

- I like the idea of "Youtube Video Responses" as sketches, and would not mind seeing something like this again, although I have a feeling if they were to do it again, it would...
a) Be something that only Jordan did
b) Follow the exact same format as this one, and
c) Be loathed by all by this time next week.
Were they to be original, or even have concepts like the filmed, but never aired "Stay at Home Mom's Youtube Video's" from season 12, This could be a great segment. What was my point again?

- Tching Ling! Johnny Gan is hit or miss, but I understand where they are coming from with this character, and in my opinion, it is one of Bobby's better characterisations. This was the best sketch for Johnny Gan, by far.

The BAD:

- The G-Mobile sketches were completely lost on me, although I do think commercial parodies (along with music video parodies) are a MUST with this current format. The can both be filmed in a way where they look authentic and can be very funny (see "Under Barack Obama" and the Feist parody from this season, and "Levitrol", "Domino's Pizza and Brownies" from last season as examples) which adequately pad out the show with enough pop culture satire to appease fans like me. This sketch was unfunny, despite its great production values.

- Ray's Chain Link Fences. No. Just no. "Youtube Response" was filler, and it should have been limited to that. Why not cut them both and air Daheli's character in their place?

- Albanian Idol. Wow. They could have done a decent American Idol parody, but instead they did this. Umm... who the fuck wrote this shit?

Average episode. Johnny was the stand-out here. I bet my bottom dollar that Daheli will infact be in the season finale, and, if there is in fact a next season, her FP contract will be carried over into that, much like Crista in seasons 10/11 - remember the hullabaloo over whether she would be a regular or a FP? Although Crista only did 4 episodes in Season 10... but anyway!! Not much else to say about this, folks.

Old 05/01/2008, 5:24 AM
Administrator

Since everything seems to end up on YouTube these days, what did you think of the episode, MADoz and Rossy? Full reviews would be much appreciated.

Old 05/01/2008, 1:24 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

I'll try to post some episode reviews soon. (What, and deny a certain someone who can't wait to quote them fifty times each and rip them apart that many ways from Sunday?) I'm working on some news items right now; so as soon as I clear out some of those, I'll submit my sure-to-net-countless-horselaughs tomes on #1314 and #1315.

"We can dig it!"
Old 05/01/2008, 5:19 PM
Administrator

Hey, at least you've since learned how to avoid that particular outcome. Sounds good, though. I look forward to, uh... reading them!

Old 05/02/2008, 10:02 PM
Hardcore Fan

2 notable omissions in the Who/What: Nicole Parker as Nancy Grace in the New Fantasy Film and Danny Cho as Pongo in Johnny Gan.
Old 05/02/2008, 10:31 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
2 notable omissions in the Who/What: Nicole Parker as Nancy Grace in the New Fantasy Film and Danny Cho as Pongo in Johnny Gan.
Thanks for pointing out the Nicole Parker as Nancy Grace one. As far as Danny Cho goes, he was never listed in any of the WHO/WHAT's from S12 regarding the Johnny Gan sketches. Plus he wasn't listed in the Johnny Gan sketch earlier this season back in February, so we don't really include him because he's mainly an extra.