Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 8 (2002-2003)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04/14/2003, 11:50 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I didn't like this episode that well, although parts of it were great. I felt like the MADtv Commercial Countdown was just an excuse to have 3 encores. None of those were classic MADtv commercials, they were ALL from within the past 6 months. I really liked Stephnie's Anna Nicole as the "celebrity host" of the countdown though.

I loved Cloret and Vera Mangus. The rest of it was at least okay (Poetry Reading, Dr. Phil, etc.) I wasn't too happy about the return of Mickey. I thought that he was pretty dull. All of the new material was pretty good, there was just too much old material. I much prefered the music video countdown and the MADtv TRL to this. This was just an excuse to get away with only writing 20 minutes of new material.

How about a 5/10, because the new material was good.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson

Old 04/14/2003, 1:06 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

I totally agree, CeCe.. The parody countdown was just a way to fill in some time. Whats the point of doing something like this with such recent parodies? They should definitely mix some older stuff. And I didn't like Mickey either, he's a very boring character, he acts too much like Rusty. The only thing good about that sketch was Christina's performance, she was really good, in an otherwise terrible sketch. And I wasn't happy that that stupid "extasy" parody won, I was hoping for the Madden popcorn popper to win, it was much better and actualy featured a castmember or two! heh...

Old 04/14/2003, 1:49 PM
Travis aka... God!

I thought what I saw was alright. I missed half of it though. The Madden commercial was my favorite (I missed the 1st one though). Mr Folgers speech was hilarious too.

So I vote a 7.5/10 for the last half hour since that's all I saw. Stupid daylight savings time is messing with my head.

Old 04/14/2003, 3:12 PM
I'm Content With Losing

AW MAN! Saturday's a repeat of the season 8 premiere!

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream Im in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As were laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november
Old 04/14/2003, 3:58 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by madislove
AW MAN! Saturday's a repeat of the season 8 premiere!
Is it? That blows. I thought I heard someone mention that this one will be a new episode too...

Old 04/14/2003, 4:26 PM
It SaYz NiPpLe HoUnD!

Yay! Now I won't miss anything new if my friends drag me to a club

Old 04/14/2003, 7:36 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

What are you guys talking about? Mrs. Campbell and Vera are NOTHING alike! Sure, they're both old ladies played by the same cast member.. but they're complete opposites. Vera's a crock that isn't convincing at all, whereas Mrs. Campbell is EXTREMELY smartass-ish and VERY clever. Personally, I loved seeing the character return The Anna Nicole impression was awesome too.. it has to be one of the best impressions ever on the show :thumbsup:
Old 04/21/2003, 6:55 PM
Christina Aguilera

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
What are you guys talking about? Mrs. Campbell and Vera are NOTHING alike! Sure, they're both old ladies played by the same cast member.. but they're complete opposites. Vera's a crock that isn't convincing at all, whereas Mrs. Campbell is EXTREMELY smartass-ish and VERY clever. Personally, I loved seeing the character return The Anna Nicole impression was awesome too.. it has to be one of the best impressions ever on the show :thumbsup:
They both sound alike but they are different

"Well Hello!"
"Oh great, a talking gecko!"
Old 04/26/2003, 1:20 PM
Christina Aguilera

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeMcDonaldGrl
Yay! Now I won't miss anything new if my friends drag me to a club
I kinda glad I saw the repeat. The Anna Nicole thing was really funny!

"Well Hello!"
"Oh great, a talking gecko!"
Old 07/13/2004, 6:38 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Default Review: #821

Dr Phil: Housecalls: This was a mediocre opening. I don't think the Dr Phil impression is great to begin with, but they never seem to do anything out of the ordinary with it. Oprah sketches follow the same pattern too. I did think Christina and Frank were good in this sketch, however. I think it's funny how they always use the outside of the studio for "location" filming. So cheap, LOL.
/5

Anna Nicole #1: I guess these were improvised, because while they were hilarious, I could tell Stephnie was thinking things up on the spot. This one was great, especially the stuff about the "three names having threesomes".
/5

Mickey: Bank robbery news interview: This was the first time I ever saw a Mickey sketch, and it was ok, to say the least. It feels like this was just Michael annoying someone, not a character. The "jokes" were pretty funny though, I thought, and Christina did a good job in this sketch too.
/5

Anna Nicole #2: This one was even funnier than the first! Paul and Stephnie have such great chemistry, and it shows here. Only 3 squares of carpet was extremely funny, and so was the riding of the horse "I was almost theeere..."
/5

Commercial Parody Winner #3: Spishak: Hey It's Ovens for Kids: I didn't tape this, but here's my original thoughts on this sketch: This was a great sketch and a welcome return for Spishak. I thought Josh did well as the Spishak Spokesman, not as good as Pat's spishak spokesman, but he filled the role set for him regardless. The writing of this sketch was very well done and the performances were excellent, especially the young girls, they were great. I especially liked the light bulb explosion and Debra's reaction, and when they kept saying "No more lightbulbs?" and the spokesman got pissed off. Great sketch. I still think it was stupid to repeat sketch from 10 episodes or less, so I'm going to give this 1/2 the original grade.
/5

Vera Magnus the Pychic Lady: I was disappointed with this sketch. It was still funny, but Vera's not my favourite Stephnie character. I agree that's she's way too similar to Mrs Campbell, so it's a good thing that they only show her appearances sparingly. I like when they do audience interaction sketches, they should do them way more often.
/5

Anna Nicole #3: I'm struggling to remember what was in these now, but I think this was the one with the security camera... "Look a celebrity! Hi Miss Piggy!" haha.
/5

Commercial Parody Winner #2: John Madden: The Quick-Pop Popcorn Popper: I taped this one because I had accidentally taped over the episode when it first aired: I love the Madden Impression, and being from NZ I barely know who Madden is (I had never heard of him before I started watching MAD tv) but this is definitely Frank's signature character because he puts such life into it. This was an excellent sketch. I loved everything about it, especially the ease with which Bobby used the Quick Pop Popcorn Popper. I'll give this one 4 stars because it was my personal choice for best commerical.
/5

Mr Folger: Poetry Group: Not much to say about this one, it was pretty good and the poem was funny. Not my favourite sketch of the night.
/5

Anna Nicole #4: This one was just as hilarious as the others. Something else I noticed with Bobby's inclusion in this sketch is that all three (Paul, Bobby, Stephnie) work really well together, like in the Grand Theft Auto sketch. Usually I don't like Bobby, but whenever he works with Paul and/or especially Stephnie, I think he does much better.
/5

Commercial Parody Winner #3: Ecstacy Anxiety Medication: This only aired 5 episodes ago. I didn't think it was that great when it aired, and my opinion hasn't changed all that much. It was ok, but I wouldn't have chosen it to make the top 3 commerical parody, personally.
/5

Musical Performance: Folksmen "Blood On the Coal": I love 'A Mighty Wind' and all Christopher Guest movies, so I liked this. I think this was the first time I recorded the Musical Guest for the season. They should have musical guests like the Folksmen more often.
/5

Cloret meets Countess Vaughn: This was okay, I don'[t really like this character all that much, but it was good nonetheless. Good use of a guest star, and it's so true about United Airlines, LOL, they are so cheap.
/5

Close: Anna Nicole: Who the hell was that Drag Queen? For a minute, I thought it was one of the writers, because s/he was quite freakish, but then I figured it was just a shopper. I thought it was sweet how Stephnie broke character to try to explain to that foreign woman what commercials were. LOL, and the kidnapping of the kids. This was my favourite closing from season 8, hands down.
/5

Overall: This episode was weird. I didn't like the commerical parody, because I don't think that at the stage this episode aired, that any of those commercials were "classics", with the exception of the John Madden one. I thought it was cool that they only used underused recurring characters, some of which I had never seen before, and they were for the most part pretty successful. The best thing about this episode, however, was definitely the Anna Nicole Smith segments. They were absolutely hilarious. For the Anna Nicole segments and the originality of this episode, I give it 7/10
/5

Old 07/13/2004, 6:42 PM
26/07/16!!

Default Episode #821

Dr. Phil makes a house call
This was alright, it pretty much followed the same idea as the previous Dr Phil sketches but at least it was short. It was funny how Dr Phil stole that guy's wife.
3/5

Anna Nicole #1: VIP Guest- Commercial Countdown Party
This was funny, Stephnies impression of Anna Nicole is great.
4/5

Mickey: Bank robbery news interview
I've enjoyed the previous appearances of this character on the show but this one seemed to drag a little bit, still it was good nevertheless.
3/5

Anna Nicole #2
Lol Anna Nicole riding on a toy horse, i remember one of my friends doing that once for fun......
3/5

Commercial Parody Winner #1: Spishak: Hey It's Ovens for Kids (#812)
This is a good sketch and a welcome return for Spishak to the show although i did think it ran on for too long. Girl: "I dont think this will fit", Spishak Guy: "Your insane"
3.5/5

Vera Magnus the Pychic Lady
I like this character, it seems like she improvises these segments which is great. The carrot top reference at the end was funny.
3/5

Anna Nicole #3
Haha Bobby Trendy, that guy is a weirdo...
3.5/5

Commercial Parody Winner #2: John Madden: The Quick-Pop Popcorn Popper (#805)
I missed #805 when it previously aired so this sketch was a good choice to reair (for me atleast ). Frank was great in this.
4/5

Mr Folger: Poetry Group
Ive never thought this character was hugely funny this time is no exception, still there were some good parts in this. Lol at Debras reaction at the end thinking his balls were on the seat, Happy Folger: "No its just a haemorrhoid" lol
2.5/5

Anna Nicole #4
Lol funny how she lost Howard's ashes.
4/5

Commercial Parody Winner #3: Ecstacy Anxiety Medication (#816)
I thought this was funnier than when i first saw it. Its short and to the point, the ending was funny: "Ecstasy is not for everyone side effects include paralysis willingness to have sex to Margret Cho and listening to crappy techno music. Ecstasy is often made by community college dropouts, in trailers or cockroach infested bathrooms a lot of these can lead to prolonged discussion with socks, shoes or other footwear. Occasional ecstasy can lead to death or in severe cases a tendency to waste votes on the green party"
4/5

Musical Performance: Folksmen "Blood On the Coal" & ??"Start Me Up"??
This was good, i atleast watched a musical performance this time which for the most part was entertaining. Lol at that Harry Shearer(sp?) guys voice you can tell he does Principal Skinner from the Simpsons (and alot of others including Smithers).
3/5

Cloret meets Countess Vaughn: United Airlines
This was great, a good job by Debra and the guest star put in a solid performance as well. Good stuff.
4/5

Close: Anna Nicole
This was a good closing to the show. WTF? A random foreign woman and a drag queen? Funny stuff.
3/5

Overall
A pretty good episode, i noticed there was alot of Paul in this episode with no Josh, Ike or Aries. The commercial parodies were a bit of a waste of time since they were all from this season (the estacy one from only 5 episodes ago!) you can tell they are sort of scraping the barrel at this point. Still with the commercial parodies aside it was a suprisingly refreshing episode better than the last few IMO.
8/10

*All sketch names appear courtesy of Mysteres Episode Guide

Last edited by funny_guy; 07/13/2004 at 8:39 PM.
Old 07/13/2004, 10:25 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Default Re: Review: #821

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Cockhurtz
Cloret meets Countess Vaughn: This was okay, I don'[t really like this character all that much, but it was good nonetheless. Good use of a guest star, and it's so true about United Airlines, LOL, they are so cheap.
/5
Ohhhh!!! I loved this from Cloret!!! oh well... lol

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 08/02/2004, 10:07 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Lead Singer GINGER COYOTE also made a guest appearance on the Fox Series "MAD TV" in a skit with STEPHANIE WEIR who was spoofing "ANNA NICOLE SMITH." Producers of the show have also expressed interest in having the band appear on the show.
Bwah! I didn't realise it was a real person, I thought it might have been one of the writers in drag.

http://128.121.137.85/wtd/photos.html

Old 08/02/2004, 11:50 PM
Totally F****able

White Trash Debutantes.................INteresting.

Old 08/03/2004, 1:33 AM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Cockhurtz
Bwah! I didn't realise it was a real person, I thought it might have been one of the writers in drag.

http://128.121.137.85/wtd/photos.html
Anna Nicole #1-5....which one was it? This appearance should go in the notable appearances thread.

Old 08/03/2004, 2:10 AM
26/07/16!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MysterE
Anna Nicole #1-5....which one was it? This appearance should go in the notable appearances thread.
It was in the closing.

Old 08/06/2004, 1:36 AM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

Ok, Ginger Coyote has been added to the guide.

Old 10/23/2004, 5:21 PM
Fresh Meat

Hey I was wondering...in episode 821 there's a skit called "Mr Folger: Poetry Group" and in that skit he says a poem bout his ummmmmm private parts and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get that poem?
Old 10/23/2004, 5:25 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

You can view the transcript (including the poem) here.

You're welcome.