Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/01/2003, 7:33 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Default Michael McDonald to leave for NBC???

I found this article on a the TV Guide website.....

Fans of Fox's Mad TV hey, it's not just an SNL rip-off! know Michael McDonald for his wacky characters like nerdy Stuart and college boy Rusty. He also does a mean Dr. Phil. Now, it looks like he's caught the comedian's golden fleece: His very own sitcom.

"I don't have a show," he tells TV Guide Online, "I have a development deal with CBS to create a show." Yes folks, it's one of those cushy one-year series development/talent holding deals where the network puts a star on its payroll, just to keep 'em from getting snatched up by anyone else. How fun to be paid without actually having a job!

"I don't know if it's that posh a deal," McDonald laughs. "It's all potential. You gotta try and create something. All I know is we're going to try to do something on CBS in prime time. It'll be a sitcom, like every other multi-camera show, and I like to work in front of an audience. I want it to be character-driven like Everybody Loves Raymond and not premise-driven or jokey."

Despite much nudging, McDonald won't reveal exactly what sort of show he's got in mind. "I don't think it's secret," he says. "I'll just say I pitched them a workplace comedy. It has nothing to do with show business or any proxy for show business. It's not set in a local news show or a magazine or advertising agency. It's not a TV-show-behind-a-TV-show or set in a department store. It has nothing to do with anything you've seen in awhile... That doesn't mean it's going to be good, though."

When choosing his supporting cast, is there any chance McDonald will lure away some of his sketch comedy cronies? "I couldn't pull anybody from Mad TV because they're all committed to Mad TV," he teases. "I have a lot of good friends, but now, I don't want to name names. What do you think of that! I'm just being up front."

Sadly now that his 5 year contract on MADtv are up, it looks like NBC has bought Michael McDonald (via a similar type of contract) which would probably limit him to only working on NBC and not MADtv on FOX. This could potentially mean Michael McDonald is planning to leave the show.......?????

And Stuart meeting his father.....sounds like a farewell sketch to me for this character.....

Old 05/01/2003, 8:31 AM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

You mean leave for CBS, not NBC? Says CBS in the article.

Old 05/01/2003, 10:13 AM
Can't You Read the Signs?

I dunno. I think from watching Nicole's shows fail over and over, he'd know not to leave "MADtv" right away for his own show -- new shows get cancelled very frequently and very quickly, and it's not like the country is dying for a Michael McDonald show, considering most of it probably doesn't know who he is, except for maybe as "the guy that plays Stuart."
Old 05/01/2003, 11:40 AM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
I dunno. I think from watching Nicole's shows fail over and over, he'd know not to leave "MADtv" right away for his own show -- new shows get cancelled very frequently and very quickly, and it's not like the country is dying for a Michael McDonald show, considering most of it probably doesn't know who he is, except for maybe as "the guy that plays Stuart."
Hey now... This new Nicole show WILL MAKE IT! CAPISH?

Old 05/01/2003, 11:45 AM
Regular

Like I said once or twice before I think that $$$$$$ has alot to do with it all . So unless Mike & or Mo don't need the big bucks ???
Old 05/01/2003, 6:01 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

We already knew that Mike did a pilot for CBS. See the news page. It doesn't necessarily mean that he's done on the show.

Are you sure that he had a 5 year contract? They aren't always 5-year contracts, you know. When they initially hired him, I highly doubt they'd give him that large of a contract.

Quote:
I think from watching Nicole's shows fail over and over...
Hey! Do you realize how hard it is to get a show on the air these days, especially with the whole reality craze? Most pilots that are submitted do not get on the air. Alex also recently did a pilot that had millions spent on it, but it didn't make it. What they do, is they pick a group of people to sit in a room and watch the show. They have to pull a lever one way every time they like something and pull the lever the other way every time they dislike something. The cast is sitting in another room watching a TV screen that has graphs of the audience's reactions on it. It's complicated, but I know that a majority of the pilots submitted never end up being picked up.

Plus, I think that Nicole has done pretty well for herself since leaving MADtv. She has a good sized role on King Of Queens plus she has fairly big parts in quite a few animated shows (Clone High, Kim Possible, etc.) It's not like the shows that she filmed pilots for flopped, they just were never picked up. Now that she's a regular on King of Queens she's got a better chance because it's one of the most popular shows in America right now (it's in the top 20 shows in the country every week) and she probably is even more famous than she has been in the past.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 05/01/2003, 6:07 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

I agree Matt. I just hope that it makes it, she needs to catch another break like she did with MADtv. She deserves it too, and I don't want to see her talent "wasted" on animated voiceovers & oddball roles here & there...

Old 05/01/2003, 6:10 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
I don't want to see her talent "wasted" on animated voiceovers & oddball roles here & there...
I know, she is so versitile. She can do a number of roles VERY well. I wish she'd do more live stuff and less cartoons.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 05/01/2003, 6:12 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat_Named_CeCe
I know, she is so versitile. She can do a number of roles VERY well. I wish she'd do more live stuff and less cartoons.
Yeah... I wonder if she ever did standup comedy... I think she'd be good at it, her gestures & facial expressions are awesome. Sometimes I'd laugh more at her expressions and such, rather than the sketch...

Old 05/01/2003, 7:05 PM
Christina Aguilera

"SNL rip-off"!!!??? They are so STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Well Hello!"
"Oh great, a talking gecko!"
Old 05/01/2003, 8:13 PM
Regular

Do you think that Mike might just pull someone away from Madtv like... ?
I mean if he should leave .

I
Old 05/01/2003, 8:20 PM
Regular

Default Re: Michael McDonald to leave for NBC???

[QUOTE]

When choosing his supporting cast, is there any chance McDonald will lure away some of his sketch comedy cronies? "I couldn't pull anybody from Mad TV because they're all committed to Mad TV," he teases.

Hmmmm ?
Old 05/02/2003, 3:50 PM

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat_Named_CeCe
Hey! Do you realize how hard it is to get a show on the air these days, especially with the whole reality craze? Most pilots that are submitted do not get on the air. Alex also recently did a pilot that had millions spent on it, but it didn't make it. What they do, is they pick a group of people to sit in a room and watch the show. They have to pull a lever one way every time they like something and pull the lever the other way every time they dislike something. The cast is sitting in another room watching a TV screen that has graphs of the audience's reactions on it. It's complicated, but I know that a majority of the pilots submitted never end up being picked up.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Like I said, leaving an extremely stable job like he has on "MADtv" for a show that most likely will never take off past the first episode, and if it does will get cancelled within a month, is quite simply an extremely stupid move.

As for Nicole, besides Artie and Phil she's definitely had the most past-"MAD" success. It's just that it's not going anywhere. Sure, that supporting role on "King of Queens" is nice.. but usually she doesn't get much airtime, and even the show still manages to land in the Top 20, it's not in its heyday anymore. What's she going to do after the show ends? Look at all of the supporting cast of "Seinfeld", whose popularity easily beats "King of Queens" and basically any show for that matter, you NEVER see them around anymore, except for Julia-Louis Dreyfus's medium-success show and the occasional Jason Alexander KFC commercial (translation: careeer desperation). I'm not saying that her role means nothing, but it's not gonna last forever, and because the show is quite a few years old now its end is nearing more and more.
Not to say she's not trying, but NONE of her shows did well and most of them didn't even pick up. She's had, what, four now? Don't get me wrong, I wish her the best of luck, I'm just saying that from seeing how hard Nicole's trying to find success should prove to Michael that right now the time is not right to leave "MAD".
Old 05/02/2003, 6:51 PM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87

Couldn't have said it better myself. Like I said, leaving an extremely stable job like he has on "MADtv" for a show that most likely will never take off past the first episode, and if it does will get cancelled within a month, is quite simply an extremely stupid move.[/B]
Even though I agree with what you're saying, I'd like to add onto it a little bit. I mentioned this in the non-public thread (sorry to the moderators for the "double-posting"). Anyway, we don't know how the rules are with Madtv. Maybe the cast aren't allowed to try new things on competing networks while they're still in contract to the show. So, they're stuck doing other Fox things (let's face it, Fox doesn't have much). Even though it seems stupid to leave, they have to take chances in their lives sometimes. They can't stay on Mad forever.

But again, I understand what you're saying and I do agree (whether it sounds like it or not). Pilots and Neilson ratings today are a bitch. 4 shows for Nicole is nothing. I've liked Gary Cole for years now and believe me, failed shows come in bigger numbers than 4. He's extremely talented and only gets parts here and there. Sadly, that's how it is for most actors if their names aren't Cruise, Travolta, Hanks, etc. They have to just keep on trying.

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 05/02/2003, 7:01 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Keepsakers

Pilots and Neilson ratings today are a bitch. 4 shows for Nicole is nothing. I've liked Gary Cole for years now and believe me, failed shows come in bigger numbers than 4. He's extremely talented and only gets parts here and there. Sadly, that's how it is for most actors if their names aren't Cruise, Travolta, Hanks, etc. They have to just keep on trying.
I think you nailed it ,it has to be very difficult but actors need to take a chance and move on
Old 05/02/2003, 7:13 PM

Actually, a success for Travolta is about as rare as an eclipse

I was thinking about the Fox contract too. But if you remember, in season five, Nicole did numerous side projects, in fact she even said she was leaving.. but then of course her show got cancelled quicker than a ray of light, did the smart thing and stuck around a bit I think the older, popular cast members are given more freedom (i.e. Phil, Nicole, Mary), and obviously because of Stuart alone I would think Michael would get this freedom. I'm sure the producers wouldn't want to lose him right now.
Old 05/03/2003, 9:53 AM
Get down tonight!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keepsakers
I've liked Gary Cole for years now and believe me, failed shows come in bigger numbers than 4. He's extremely talented and only gets parts here and there.
He was great in the Brady Bunch movies.

"Remember, kids, as a wise man once said, 'wherever you go, there you are'".

Old 05/03/2003, 6:19 PM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Nooo! Don't remind me of Mike Brady! Ugh!! LOL, no he was really good in that role, but he just wasn't fun to look at.

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 06/09/2003, 12:11 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Well guys, the news that Ron, Ike and Josh have all been promoted to season regulars, in my mind, confirms that Michael McDonald has left MADtv after five years! Obviously they're trying to fill the shoes for the striaght white guy roles and that's why the hired 3 cast members to replace him. The MADtv gang has been pretty quiet about this two (i guess to not upset their fans) But we can look forward to him on his new sitcom this fall.

This is a rumour BTW.

Old 06/10/2003, 10:59 AM

Yeah I think that basically gives it away. The other two I think were hired just to fill in the gaps. And they'll hire a girl to replace Jill.