Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/27/2005, 10:37 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Post **OFFICIAL** Questions for Lisa Kushell Thread

Lisa Arch (Kushell) recently contacted me and expressed interest in answering any questions we might have for her. Since she has been so kind as to offer to do this for us, we expect nothing but respectful and mature questions in return.

This is also her first time posting on a message board, so if she doesnt get the hang of it straight away, please be patient with her.

Welcome to the forum, Lisa!

Last edited by tvmanismadformad; 03/15/2009 at 5:00 PM.

Old 10/27/2005, 10:40 PM
Lurking around the corner
Staff Alumnus

Welcome to the planet, Lisa! I'm glad you will be able to interact with the fans.

My question is what did you like most about being on MADtv?

Old 10/27/2005, 11:26 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Welcome Lisa! I don't have a question (yet)...I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your work on MADtv and it's really awesome that you're doing this for us.
Old 10/27/2005, 11:31 PM
Hardcore Fan

My question to Lisa is a two-parter.

Did you get along with any cast members on MADtv back in 1997-98 and do you ask any backstage photos from your time on the series.
Old 10/28/2005, 2:57 PM
Susan Whitfield
Cast Member

Hi Everyone! I hope I'm doing this right... any suggestions would be appreciated!

So, here are the answers to the first couple questions:

My favorite thing about being on Mad TV, (without being too corny) is that I met my husband there. He was a Production Assistant at the time, and went on to work in the script department and eventually sell a sketch to the show. It was the sketch with Aries playing Eddie Murphy in "Behind the Song". Meeting him there was definitely the best thing.

Besides that, I loved getting to do all those characters and, since I had done sketch comedy on stage since I was 15, getting to do it on TV was a HUGE DEAL! I will always be thankful for it.

The other question was if I got along with the cast and if I have any back stage pics.

I got along with much of the cast very well. Alex Borstein and I have known each other since we were 15, so that was easy. Phil is one of the nicest guys on the planet, as is Will Sasso. I run into Mary sometimes, and it's always great to see her. She's so talented. And Debra Wilson is awesome. I see Mo Collins at auditions and around town. She came on after I left, so we never worked together, but I think she's incredible and hilarious. Here's a funny story: the first time I met Mo was at Alex's wedding. She came up to me and said, "Hi, I'm Mo. I think I have your dressing room now!"

I probably have some back stage pics, but I'd have to search long and hard. I'll let you know if I find any!!
Old 10/28/2005, 3:30 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

I have a couple of questions:

What led to your departure from MADtv?

Do you have any new projects in the works? Usually I scour your website and get updates for the news section, but since it is rarely updated, despite certain new years resolutions ... Just kidding, we all understand that you lead a very busy life cooking gourmet chicken and rice for your dog.

Old 10/28/2005, 3:52 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Omigod, omigod, omigod! I thought that this was going to be like the Mo thing, in which someone acts as an intermediary, but The Lisa is actually among us? Fo' shizzle? Aw, man, first of all, okay, I promise never, ever, ever again to say anything negative about Susan Whitfield (not that I said many negative things to start with). Second, the Parker Sisters, Farrah Fawcett and Fiona Apple (or at least your Fiona and Farrah) rock and always will. Third, like every other fan of your "MADtv" work, I wish that we had been able to enjoy your wonderful comedic talents for more than one season; still, I'm very glad that we have 25 great episodes from Season 3 to relish always. Finally, yes, my posts are normally this long; just ask around.

O.K., so here's my (short) laundry list:

--How did the Parker Sisters come about? Did you and Chris Hogan brainstorm; did just one of you come up with the characters; or are they just the show's creation?

--This question will probably sound very naive, but I'm asking anyway: how did you obtain your cameo in Guess Who, and what was the experience like? Also, did you and fellow "MADtv" alum Nicole Sullivan get a chance to meet up at any time during the film's shooting?

Lisa, thank you for taking time out of what I'm sure is a very busy schedule to hobnob with a bunch of eggheads like us. This is truly a privilege.

P.S.: You may call me Michael, mizz, mizzi, mizzimad....Take your pick or make something up. (Uh oh, better be careful about what I wish for. )

"We can dig it!"
Old 10/28/2005, 4:21 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

It's great seeing castmembers on this forum. So cool. I don't have any questions now, any real questions, but I'll give it a go.

Do you ever watch yourself on reruns?

I get weirded out watching myself on a video camera or some performance I was in that a relative taped.
Old 10/28/2005, 5:16 PM
His senses were dimmed

Wow, welcome to the forum Lisa It's really cool that you want to keep in touch with your fans.

My first question: Is Needy Evie creepier in real life than on tv?

Edit: Oh, thought of another one...
Do you still watch MadTV? Or if not when did you stop?

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards

Last edited by TheGooseGoblin; 10/28/2005 at 6:32 PM.
Old 10/28/2005, 5:19 PM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by mizzimad
(or at least your Fiona and Farrah)
What is THAT supposed to mean Mizzi?

But, back on topic...

Wow! It's great to have you hear Lisa! I miss Susan Whitfield...

Anyway, hear are my questions-

1. Is Susan Whitfield simply made-up, or is she based on someone you've met in real life?

2. Im also an Improv-er and find it really fun! I really want to make a career out of it, tips?

(I've taken classes and plan to take more, when Im old enough I hope to attend Second City)

3. Have you ever met Stephnie Weir? I would think that two very funny ladies like yourselves would get along really well.

Thanks for taking time to answer everyone’s questions Lisa! I hope you stick around awhile and really enjoy your stay here!
Old 10/28/2005, 6:23 PM
w00t!

Hey Lisa! It's cool thats you're on the forum. I'll probably think of some better questions later but...

-What kind of music do you like?
-Republican/Democrat (That's kind of personal...so yeah, if you don't wanna answer...I understand)
- What kind of movies do you like?

***Winner of Worst Username in the '05 Planet MADtv Awards***
Old 10/28/2005, 6:34 PM
Hardcore Fan

Thanks Lisa for answering my first two questions to you about the relationship you had within the cast and that you would probaly show us some behind the scenes photos whenever possible.

But I do have two more questions Lisa.

Did you have a problem working with Nicole Sullivan during your time there and do you have a recent photo of you and Mary Scheer within let's say the last two years.
Old 10/29/2005, 12:43 AM
Susan Whitfield
Cast Member

Hey Guys!

I'm gonna answer a couple quick ones, and then I'll do more soon:

Dartanian-what let to my departure was that they didn't ask me back. I had a little bit of a hard time there, as sketch is a rough game and you have to be a very strong woman to play it. I don't think I was totally ready for how hard it was, and because of that I didn't come back for a second season. I know that's kind of vague, but that's basically the answer.

I don't have any projects in the works right this second. You can see me fairly often on Vh1, right now I'm on Awesomely Bad Celebrity Fashion. Other than that, I audition a lot and I'm trying to write some stuff.

Mizzi-I got in the movie "Guess Who" just by auditioning. It was actually a scene they added on to the movie just weeks before it came out in theaters. I auditioned on Friday and shot it on Sunday. It was a blast. And I didn't see Nicole, as she shot her scenes probably months before.

The Parker Sisters came about when Chris Hogan and I were sitting in the office of Terry and Lanier, two of the writers. We were trying to think of something we could do together and for some reason we decided to be two ugly sisters. Then we thought it would be funny if they were really egotistical. Then I remember suggesting the "You ain't getting none of this" line. Then Chris and I just went off and started doing the characters with that hand movement and the line. It pretty much wrote itself! Terry and Lanier loved it and went off and wrote it. We loved doing those characters. They were just so stupid and fun.

TJ- Needy Evie was pretty damn creepy! The prop department was very good at their job. But, I was equally creepy in my little-girl dress!

I don't watch Mad TV, and I never really have. I mean, I had seen it a few times before I auditioned for it, and I saw the episodes from the 3rd season as they aired, but I never really watched after that. I catch a rerun occasionally on Comedy Central, but I never really sit and watch it. And to be honest, it's probably just because I watch very little TV on Friday and Saturday nights!

I'll answer more either this weekend or next week, and I'll try to stay as caught-up as possible. Thanks for your questions!! It's great to be a part of this.
Old 10/29/2005, 8:50 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I have a few:

You mentioned knowing Alex since you were 15, how did you two meet?

And here's a silly one...how do you pronounce your new last name, like "Artch" or "Ark"?
Old 10/29/2005, 10:18 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Welcome to PlanetMADtv, Lisa!

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer our questions. I loved you on MADtv and I think you're hilarious.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 10/30/2005, 1:25 PM
Hardcore Fan

Lisa, if you could do a sketch with any current castmember who would it be?
Old 10/31/2005, 6:06 PM
Susan Whitfield
Cast Member

Hey Everyone!

Nick: I catch myself on reruns every so often and sometimes it's really weird and sometimes I enjoy it. It's funny because I'll see something every once in a while and think, "Oh yeah! I totally forgot I did that!" It's a little odd seeing how young I look, too.

Texas: Susan Whitfield is based completely on me when I was 15. I always felt like such a big loser, and even if I didn't seem like it on the outside, that's what I felt like inside. I first did that character in a sketch show on stage in Hollywood. I wrote the original monologue in about 10 minutes, because I felt like I knew the character so well.

Do I have any tips on making it in improv or sketch? Just keep doing it. The more you exercise your "funny muscles" the better you'll be at it. And, you pretty much have to be in New York, L.A., or Chicago to get into a sketch group that'll get you seen.

I have met Stephanie Weir one time at an audition. She was incredibly nice. I've seen some of her sketches and I think she's amazing.

Death Cab: Music? A little of everything. I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to music, unfortunately. But I love Billy Joel, this guy Dan Bern, my best friend Deena Noroian's CD is always in my car and I listen to it constantly. I like a lot of music, to be honest.

I won't discuss my political affiliation, but I'd like to think it's pretty obvious.

Movies? Defending Your Life, Broadcast News, When Harry Met Sally, The Way We Were, Say Anything, Shawshank Redemption... Just to name a few.

I'll answer more later!!
Old 10/31/2005, 8:07 PM
Be Kind to Your Nuggs

Yola Lisa! Thanks so much for taking time to answer our questions.

I suppose I have a few...

-How much do you feel MADtv helped to extend your status in the "TV world"?

-If you could go back and add/do something different on MAD, (kind of an "either or" question) what would you do?

and, the ever-popular...

-Who were your comedic influences growing up?

MySpace

<Badgina> No, many women have had their babies vacuumed out.
<Devin_> What if the bag is full?

There Trey, happy now?
Old 11/01/2005, 6:24 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

Welcome to Planet Mad Lisa,its good to have interaction with the cast members and i'm sure all of us here fans,really do appreciate it,i know that i do

My questions...
*What was your favourite impression to do?

*With crank yankers,is it even possible to plan out things to say on the phone,or do you just have to have real quick wit???

Thanks in advance
Old 11/03/2005, 2:22 PM
Completely Unrelated.

It's the REAL Lisa. Wow. LoL. Welcome to the forum. You are so amazingly talented and funny.

Did you have any favorite cast members/guest stars to work with?