Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 12 (2006-2007)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite sketch of #1214?
Open: Tim Gunn 0 0%
Grey's Anatomy with House M.D 5 33.33%
Great Moments in African-American History with Flavor Flav #1-3 2 13.33%
Attitudes and Feelings, Both Desirable and Sometimes Secretive Pt. III 0 0%
The Ellen Degeneres Show: Ugly Betty 1 6.67%
Cupid's Lesson Gone Wrong 0 0%
Ike Meets Bobby's Family #1 2 13.33%
Luann at the Laundromat #1-2 3 20.00%
Gwen Stefani Video 2 13.33%
Close: Ike Meets Bobby's Family #2 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02/18/2007, 12:09 AM
Fresh Meat

My favorite sketch was without a doubt the laundromat sketch. Nicole was definitely funnier though but still, that sketch had me on the floor.

Old 02/18/2007, 12:33 AM
Fresh Meat

Open: Stylish Audience Members: I personally enjoy it when cast members improvise with the audience. I feel like Michael made a few good jokes. Although it was weak for an opening, it was solid material.

Music Video: The first half of this was dreadful. It wasn't until the "behind the wheel" line that I thought a lyric was decent. The editors should be adding laughs to the music videos... I don't know why they quit the tradition, but its ruining them.1/2

Grey's Anatomy/House: This sketch wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad either. Some of the humor was repetitive (like the injuries from the door) which were only funny the first time.

Flavor Flav and African American History #1-3: The first one started off weak, the second one was funny throughout, and the third one was decent. These were okay, but I didn't care for them that much.1/2

Attitudes and Feelings Pt. III: I loved the random old man in the pool. This went right along with the previous ones... and the ending was once again shocking. I liked it.1/2

Ellen DeGeneres Show: Ugly Betty: Lisa did a great job. She made me smile. Nicole did a good job too (as always). This sketch was one of the better ones... haha "big black bear"1/2

Claymation: Cupid Goes Wrong: This was cute. It could have probably been funnier, but it was short and sweet. I liked it.

Ike Meets Bobby's Parents: This was funny... not because of Ike... not because of Bobby... but because of the parents. The whole Star Wars presentation cracked me up! I'm scared to bathe. 1/2

Luanne Lockheart: Laundramat #1-2: This was my favorite sketch... mainly because of Nicole RJ. Her monologue at the end about the boot, in my opinion, saved the episode... especially when she randomly said she needed to kill someone. XD The rest of this sketch was entertaining; if not funny.

Overall: It was better than average (for this season), but not amazing. Some sketches looked like they had a lot of thought put into them, and others were just "blah."

7.2/10
Old 02/18/2007, 1:35 AM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurry View Post
After re-watching the sketch, I think it's this...

Girl on Bench - Arden
Guy on Bench - Ike
Cupid's Trainer - Jordan
Cupid - Bobby

So yeah, no Frank. I will say though, Bobby did a really good job of changing his voice in the Cupid sketch, I couldn't tell it was him except for the very beginning.
That was Keegan, not Bobby, I thought.

Anyway, I'll do a review tomorrow; I'm only halfway through the ep right now (west coast viewer).

Old 02/18/2007, 1:52 AM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

BTW, can someone upload the "new" credits with Lisa in them?

Old 02/18/2007, 6:20 AM
just crazy

Did someone noticed that after Lisa's debut, new people had arrived to speak at the forums?

Welcome all users to the site!

Trying to make my way into college...
Old 02/18/2007, 8:24 AM
Fresh Meat

Eh, I didn't like this episode that much either
The better sketches was the show opening, Ellen DeGeneres Show, the claymation, Ike meets Bobby's Parents and the Luanne Lockheart sketches. The rest were really bad
Old 02/18/2007, 9:11 AM
zlolz

Yeah, I noticed all the new members, too. Welcome, guys!

Old 02/18/2007, 9:58 AM
Fresh Meat

Open: Stylish Audience Members: This was an O.K. opening. I love it when the castmembers improv and I thought Michael did a good job.

Music Video: Aren't Asians Great?: The only thing that proved to be marginally amusing in this sketch was Bobby and even that was old.

Grey's Anatomy/House: Finally, something funny! Great performances from Nicole and Michael; best sketch of the night, easily.

Flavor Flav and African Amerian History #1-3: These were sort of pointless, I thought. They didn't make me laugh one bit.

Attitudes and Feelings Pt. III: This was just really, really random. I think that the 1st Attitudes and Feelings sketch was the best; they could have done more with the subtitles in this one.

Ellen DeGeneres Show: Ugly Betty: Lisa did a really good job! I'm excited that she's a featured part of the cast now. Nicole did a nice job portraying Ellen, as usual.

Claymation: Cupid Goes Wrong: Great sketch! Simple and funny.

Ike Meets Bobby's Parents: Ike and Bobby are, in my opinion, pretty funny in sketches like these. This Ike-Bobby sketch, however, wasn't as good as the others. Neither Ike nor Bobby were amazingly funny (I must admit that I laughed a couple of times at Bobby's parents, though). The ending was good.

Luanne Lockheart: Laundramat #1-2: Regardless of how acurately Crista's portrayal of Luanne is, I didn't find her funny at all. But, since Nicole RJ did a good job, I'll give it a star.

Overall: Not good. It'd be nice if they could have as good an episode as was 1213 every week, but I know it's not going to happen. I'll remember The Grey's Anatomy/House and Ellen sketches. Other than that... blah.

5.5/10
Old 02/18/2007, 10:22 AM
Season 14 is Here!

Stylish Audience Members: I think this was ok and it wasn't bad imo, but there were better opening
Music Video: Aren't Asians Great?: I was really looking foward to this because no one has really done an impression of Gwen, but I was disappointed it wasn't BAD but it wasn't OK, I liked Nicole's impression, but there wasn't enough of Jordan's Akon I don't even think he said anything...
Grey's Anatomy/House/ER: This was a funny skitch *sp?* espeacialy that they made it a crossover, it was so funny with Nicole RJ when she came out and you saw the height LOL
Flavor Flav and African Amerian History #1-3: I thought these were funny especially the MLK one.
Attitudes and Feelings Pt. III: This one was pretty funny and strange LOL, these skitches always feel like a real soap opera, it makes me wonder whats going to happening next all the time
Ellen DeGeneres Show: Ugly Betty: This was HILARIOUS especially Nicole's line "Big Black Bear" I couldn't stop laughing! Lisa Nova did really good I am looking foward to see what she's got. Crista was great in this too.
Claymation: Cupid Goes Wrong: This was funny, short and sweet.
Ike Meets Bobby's Parents: Bobby's parents are funny if it weren't for them this would have been one of those boring Ike and Bobby sketches.
Luanne Lockheart: Laundramat #1-2: Crista was funny but the real star here is Nicole RJ. Just seeing that face she made when she found that boot was enough to make this one the best sketches. I really like Nicole RJ I think she is a pretty strong castmember.

Full episode: I thought this was an above average episode, but some of the sketches disappointed me like the Gwen Stafani video. Some were great like the Ellen DeGeneres one . And some could have been better.

Old 02/18/2007, 11:28 AM
Fresh Meat

I'm not new... I've been coming to this site a lot, I just figured I might as well start posting... and I don't remember my old username. :-/
Old 02/18/2007, 2:48 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Here are some quick screen caps of Lisa's opening credits. Just a simple Print Screen with RealPlayer, so nothing high-res or anything like that.

Last edited by nick; 02/18/2007 at 9:27 PM.
Old 02/18/2007, 3:06 PM
just crazy

Because this is middle of Season 12, the Lisa Donovan Part looked like when they put Susan Sarandon's S5 "Intro", the film qualities are different. But no harm done.

Trying to make my way into college...
Old 02/18/2007, 3:43 PM
Hardcore Fan

I really enjoyed this episode. The only thing bad about it was the Flava Flav black history month thing. It was repetitive and NOT funny...but the rest was spectacular.
Old 02/18/2007, 6:01 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I'm not overly impressed with Lisa yet, but of course, that was her first sketch ever. Compared to others, she had a much lengthier and larger first role, and that shows that MADtv has got to have some faith behind her.

For reference, not including the 1101 opener or the Jessica Simpson parody, Caeti's first sketch was the House sketch, Arden's was Jazzed for Crafts, and Nicole RJ's was the View.

I was only really disappointed with Arden's first appearance, but she grew on me. Hopefully Lisa will do the same. She didn't seem to have the click with the cast that you got with when watching the S11 newbies, but again, it was her first sketch.

Outside of Lisa, I didn't like much in the episode. Luann was funny, but I think Mrs. Bell has more potential to be a recurring character. Nicole RJ gave me the most laughs of the night in that sketch alone. Aside from that, the Claymation was the only other thing I liked.

Another nitpicky thing I have to point out, is that when sketches go to the stage for their second coming, I think they get funny. For example, compare the way Attitudes and the Grey's Anatomy parody looked the first time, like the way they were shot. They look much less set-y, and I think being "on location" makes them much funnier. Attitudes III was funnier than II, I'll give it that.

We're in the mid-season slump right now, IMO, but I always come back and watch every Saturday. As much as I complain, I love this show.
Old 02/18/2007, 6:23 PM
zlolz

Yeah, I agree about the mid-season slump thing. Most midseason episodes are always just "ehh", and usually weaker then the rest of the season, no matter how awesome or how horrific the season is. Of course, you have exceptions to that rule (like 1213 and a lot of the S11 midseason episodes, and obviously alumni month in S10...), but for the most part, they aren't good. Oh well, we only have a few more mid-season episodes left. When there's 22 episodes in a season, i'd say the end of the season starts around the 16th or 17th episode.

Old 02/18/2007, 6:29 PM
Hardcore Fan

Pongo with the mustache looked a lot like Horatio Sanz. Plus Simian was at the laundry mat.

Last edited by King of Kings; 02/18/2007 at 7:56 PM.
Old 02/18/2007, 8:08 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Open: Stylish Audience Members: Project Runway's Tim Gunn (Micheal) finds some members of the audience to sit in the "elite seats."
-Never been a big fan of the cast interaction with the audience. It's great to see the audience involved, but these almost ALWAYS fall flat. The only times I can think of that they were really good were "Yo, Here We Go" from Season 10 and George Bush's questions from the audience in Season 11. The former didn't really have any real audience interaction except for some suggestion, and the latter was probably scripted. So... yeah.
Rating: 2.5/5

Music Video: Aren't Asians Great?: A parody of the Gwen Stefani (Nicole) and Akon (Jordan) music video, parodying Stefani's love for Asian girls in her videos.
-Meh, it could have done so much more than just Asian stereotypes. And after the really good music parodies of this season, this one fell flat.
Rating: 2/5

Grey's Anatomy/House: A crossover between Grey's Anatomy and House. When the crew from Grey's Anatomy can't figure out what to do with a patient, they call Doctor House (Micheal). When HE can't figure out what to do, they decide to find a show that can: ER.
-Okay, I guess. Nothing truly outstanding, but decent.
RatingL 3/5.

Flavor Flav and African Amerian History #1: Sidney Poitier (Keegan) introduces Flavor Flav (Jordan) as he talks about how George W. Washington and Abraham Lincoln were playing cards one day. When Lincoln lost, he was forced to free the slaves.
-Certainly one of the better sketches of the night. Jordan's Flavor Flav never ceases to amaze.
Rating: 4/5

Attitudes and Feelings Pt. III: Wasn't paying attention.
Rating: N/A

Ellen DeGeneres Show: Ugly Betty: On the Ellen Degeneres show, Ellen (Nicole P) interviews Selma Hayek (new castmember Lisa Donovan) about her inspiration for Ugly Betty. Selma goes on to talk about how none of the boys would talk to her, so she had to study. But then she developed breasts, and now all the boys would talk to her and she didn't have to study anymore.
-A pretty decent sketch. I wasn't overly impressed by Lisa, but she wasn't as misused as some other new cast members in their first sketches (*cough*Jordan*cough*). I couldn't help but think that she was upstaging Nicole and Crista. Meh, I don't know.
Rating: 3/5

Flavor Flav and African Amerian History #2: Flavor Flav now talks about how Blacks were once not allowed to go on buses or roller coasters, and how Rosa Parks outlawed them.
-See #1

Claymation: Cupid Goes Wrong: Cupid (voice of Keegan) and his trainer (voice of Jordan) are watching over two people sitting on a bench (voices of Arden for the female and Ike for the male). (Arden) is trying to get (Ike's) attention, but he's not interested. Cupid's trainer tells him to shoot him with a love arrow, but he shoots him with a REAL arrow and kills him.
-Oh, my God, this was HILARIOUS. It was short, like most of the other animations this season, but unlike some of the earlier ones ("Real Police Video," "Terrorist Darbie," "Cartoon Network Rejects"), this one really hit it home. Fantastic.
Rating: 5/5

Flavor Flav and African Amerian History #3: Now Flav is talking about Martin Luther King and his X-Ray eyes, but Sidney Poitier is having no more of it.
-See #2
Rating: 4.5/5

Ike Meets Bobby's Parents: Ike goes to have dinner at Bobby's parents' house, but is taken aback by their customs and Bobby's father's constantly calling him "Jew."
-Not bad at all. Bobby's family really took the sketch though.

Luanne Lockheart: Laundramat #1-2: Luanne Lockhart (Crista) is performing at a laundromat's new open mike night.
-I still don't like or even understand this character. Plus, it was really Nicole RJ who stole the sketch as the laundromat owner.
Rating:
Part 1: 2/5
Part 2: 3/5

Final Thoughts: This was decent. Nothing truly awful, but not really as "standoutish" s last week's episode, which was brilliant. It seems like every time there's a really good episode (1201, 1204, 1209, 1213), it's followed by a not-so-good one (1202, 1205, 1210 [awful!], and now 1214). Then again, 1207 was a really good episode and so was 1208, and 1209 was even better than both of them. Anyway, I was a little disappointed by the lack of Frank, and there wasn't any real standout cast member this week. I felt Lisa was upstaging the other cast members in her debut sketch, and the best sketch of the night was the animation. So, all in all, I'll give it...

Old 02/18/2007, 11:24 PM

Lisa rocks! I really hope she sticks around.

Very good ep, all around, but I didn't like the Black History Minute. Everything else was awesome.
Old 02/19/2007, 10:11 PM
Season 14 is Here!

Quote:
Music Video: Aren't Asians Great?: I was really looking foward to this because no one has really done an impression of Gwen, but I was disappointed it wasn't BAD but it wasn't OK, I liked Nicole's impression, but there wasn't enough of Jordan's Akon I don't even think he said anything...
Im changing my review for this one because after watching over agian on youtube, I think Nicole's effort on this was great her impression was dead on. Jordon was funny for doing the same movements as Akon did in the real video, and bobby was pretty funny in it, it was just the writing of the video that brought down it's qualty. Maybe Michael McDonald should practice on his writing.
I raise my review to a not much of an update but the effort of the cast memebers raised it

EDIT: nick thanks for posting the Lisa opening pics

Old 02/20/2007, 3:14 PM
Hardcore Fan

If this "Aren't Asians Great?" clip was made ten years ago, you would have seen Nicole Sullivan due Gwen Stefani instead of Nicole Parker.