Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 12 (2006-2007)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite sketch of #1206?
Show Open: Britney and K-Fed 3 30.00%
Drive by #1-3 0 0%
Macy's 297th Thanksgiving Day Parade 0 0%
Larry Felner goes to the Movies 1 10.00%
RU486 0 0%
Studio 69 on Van Nuys Boulevard 4 40.00%
24: Bobby Lee gets a Physical 0 0%
Celebrity Pets: Mariah Carey's Dog 0 0%
HNL: Deck the Halls 1 10.00%
Dax Strutter Performs #1-2 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11/25/2006, 11:31 PM
D2F

I suspect she's using one of those super duper push-up bras when she plays JLH. Those things can make mountains out of mole hills, so to speak

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent

Old 12/17/2006, 11:46 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

There have been some pretty positive reviews about the "Studio 69" sketch posted on the net. Here are a couple:

"MadTV isn't exactly considered the West Wing of late-night variety shows, but when the guy who created West Wing steps on their turf, they certainly step up their game.

Studio 69 on Van Nuys Boulevard is a spoof so detailed it's almost creepy. Every bit is dead on, from the patronizing lectures (including a shout out to all our brothers who are "standing in the middle of Afghanistan") to the Amanda Peet-esque studio head who thanks the producer for saving America from the terrorists. Also like Sorkin's comedy, Studio 69's big climax (pun intended) isn't at all erotic or original!

Really, the great tragedy of this parody is that it's totally lost on the millions of Americans who have gotten fed up with watching the stick in Sorkin's ass spin, and now turn off their TV after that show with the superheroes to, I don't know, talk to their loved ones or study up on arcane Italian pantomime formats.

MadTV may only get a fraction of Studio 60's dwindling ratings. But as far as we're concerned, they get the last laugh FOREVER. "

Source

"We missed this pretty dead-on Mad TV parody of Studio 60 back when it originally aired in November, due largely to the fact that we had no idea that Mad TV is still on the air. (Usually when we say that, we're just being wiseasses, but we genuinely thought the show was canceled two years ago--hey, even their official website thinks they only went 10 seasons.) But now, thanks to the power of YouTube, we're offered a peek into a parallel television universe, where the Sorkinesque patter crackles rather than grates ("Dammit! Can anyone here be a fluffer, is a fluffer, *know* a fluffer?!"), where we fully believe in the talent of Savannah, their featured performer, and where the stakes are appropriately high--we find ourselves not only caring deeply about our tumescent boys at King's Air Force Base in Bellevue, Illinois, but believing that if their rocks are not gotten off, national security would, in fact, be compromised. Enjoy your all too brief trip to Studio 69 on Van Nuys Boulevard."

Source

Old 12/18/2006, 12:45 AM
Hardcore Fan

It's good to see that Mad TV is getting some more attention and positive reviews. This show and its cast, needs more media coverage. Mad TV may not be "considered the West Wing of late-night variety shows", which should be taken as a compliment, but it is very creative and it has a great cast. Mad TV is at least willing to take risks and it does an excellent job of fully exploiting the cast’s talents. Saturday Night Live nowadays depends way too much on the celebrity of its guests and on the writers. The SNL cast rarely gets to sing, dance, do stand up, interact with the audience, and show off a talent other than reading cue cards. In that respect, I would say that Mad TV is much more of a variety show than most variety shows out there today. In many ways, Mad TV reminds me of Married… With Children, another show that took a lot of risks and pushed the boundaries of television but is not remembered with esteem that it deserves due to people’s initial impressions of the show when it came out and their refusal to admit their mistakes. Hopefully the same thing won’t happen to Mad TV.
Old 12/18/2006, 4:12 PM
zlolz

^I agree completely. It's a shame that MadTV doesnt get the respect it deserves. It's miles ahead of SNL (which is pretty much down the drain at this point) and yet, SNL is still bigger. At least now that the show is on Comedy Central (which is HUGE) and YouTube (which is even bigger), it's getting more attention then it ever did.

Old 12/18/2006, 11:47 PM
Hardcore Fan

SNL can be saved if they just let the cast do some of their own stuff and stop catering so much to their hosts. That's how the show became so popular in the first place. They were creating hits and propelling talented people to stardom. If SNL was being run the way it is today then people like Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, and Eddie Murphy would have never became famous.

It’s great that Mad TV is getting more attention on Comedy Central and YouTube but it really needs higher ratings on Fox. It is really up to Fox do advertise Mad TV more. Fox needs to stop focusing only on its most popular shows while treating shows that have been giving it steady streams of income like crap.

Old 12/19/2006, 12:05 PM
zlolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kings View Post
SNL can be saved if they just let the cast do some of their own stuff and stop catering so much to their hosts. That's how the show became so popular in the first place. They were creating hits and propelling talented people to stardom. If SNL was being run the way it is today then people like Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, and Eddie Murphy would have never became famous.

It’s great that Mad TV is getting more attention on Comedy Central and YouTube but it really needs higher ratings on Fox. It is really up to Fox do advertise Mad TV more. Fox needs to stop focusing only on its most popular shows while treating shows that have been giving it steady streams of income like crap.
The only shows FOX really treats well are Family Guy, The Simpsons, 24, and American Idol. The only time MadTV is advertised on FOX is in the 11:50 time slot the week before...well, and local news people say "Up next, MadTV!". It really is a shame, MadTV's type of humor is what's "in" right now and it could be HUGE if it was given proper promotion by FOX. Being up against SNL doesn't help, but still.

As for SNL...it was VERY VERY good at one point, in fact IMO it was good up until 4 or 5 years ago. It's just really bad now and needs some serious help.

Old 12/22/2006, 8:58 PM
Fresh Meat

Default Celebrity Obsessed

A friend of mine who was an intern at MadTV was included as an extra in this episode's "Celebrity Obsessed" sketch. Unfortunately, they told her the wrong air date for the episode, so she (and her friends/family) never got to see it. I've been searching alllllll over the internet trying to find a download for this skit, but it's practically non-existant. The best I could find was a torrent download for the entire episode, but that will take me a couple of weeks to download (I don't know why it takes so long).

Is there any way someone can upload this skit for me? YouTube would probably be the best format for this, since it instantly plays the video as it's being downloaded. The skit from episode 1201 is on YouTube, but the one from 1206 is nowhere to be found. I would greatly appreciate anyone who can help me out or point me in the right direction.

-Dan
Old 12/22/2006, 9:00 PM
zlolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw1138 View Post
A friend of mine who was an intern at MadTV was included as an extra in this episode's "Celebrity Obsessed" sketch. Unfortunately, they told her the wrong air date for the episode, so she (and her friends/family) never got to see it. I've been searching alllllll over the internet trying to find a download for this skit, but it's practically non-existant. The best I could find was a torrent download for the entire episode, but that will take me a couple of weeks to download (I don't know why it takes so long).

Is there any way someone can upload this skit for me? YouTube would probably be the best format for this, since it instantly plays the video as it's being downloaded. The skit from episode 1201 is on YouTube, but the one from 1206 is nowhere to be found. I would greatly appreciate anyone who can help me out or point me in the right direction.

-Dan
You can always request the sketch in the MadTV YouTube group (you have to join it, though) and im sure someone will upload it for you Make sure you specify its the 1206 one though, not the 1111 or 1201 one.

Old 12/22/2006, 9:09 PM
Fresh Meat

Thank ye muchly, Rurry.
Old 12/22/2006, 9:48 PM
Hardcore Fan

You can download the entire episode on bittorrent.

Old 02/19/2009, 1:40 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Default Review

Show Open: Britney & K-Fed: Really good. The highlight was Britney saying that she was the Funion fairy because she was drunk.

Drive by #1: Good.

Drive By #2: Really just the same as the last one.

Macy's 297th Annual Thanksgiving Day Parade: This one wasn't very good. I hate Arden's JLH. It is really the impression that says anyone can do impressions as long as they have a wig. Bobby's Kim is always good though. The highlight was Kim talking about how much Garfield 2 sucked and high fiving Al, who agrees that the movie sucked.

Drive by #3: I love seeing that jackass get what he deserves. Way to go smart bum. The highlight was the bum saying gotcha right after he left.

Larry Felner goes to the Movies: I love Larry. He's the best, and this is another great example of how great a character sketch this is. The highlight was when he fell in love, because I just thought that was so sweet. I know, I'm a girl.

RU486: This was good, but I just felt that it didn't fit with the flow of the episode. The highlight for me was when she said that she could be more happy. I don't know why though.

Studio 69 on Van Nuys Boulevard: Anybody else think it's odd that Arden is considered a really hot cast member, and yet she is one of 2 cast members not in this sketch? This was actually really creative, but I fear that for people who don't know the LA area, this may have gone over a few people's heads. The highlight was Savannah and Kitten practicing tongue exercises.

24: Bobby Lee gets a Physical: This to me was actually one of the more better 24 with Bobby Lee episodes. Maybe because Bobby had Jordan helping him out. The highlight was Bobby and the dancing robot.

Celebrity Pets: Mariah Carey's Dog *Claymation*: This one was actually also one of the better Claymations. The highlight was Mariah's dogs ear drums bursting.

HNL: Deck the Halls: Not one of the better HNL's. The highlight was Danny sitting on Keegan's lap. That was so cute.

Dax Strutter Performs #1: Great singing by Frank here. His songs were infectious. The highlight was the song "2 kids in the yard". A rare 5 starer

Dax Strutter Performs #2: Really a stretch. Taking a good thing too far. The highlight was the dance they did just before the end credits.

Out of 65 stars, this episode got 43. That's about a C rating. An average episode.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)