Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/16/2005, 11:51 PM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

Default Nicole Sullivan Stars in New ABC Pilot

According to reuters.com...
"Mad TV" alumna Nicole Sullivan has landed a role in ABC's comedy pilot "Hot Properties," playing one of four women working in a real estate office.
Apparently this show takes place in New York, but will be at least partially filmed at an upscale real estate agency on Los Angeles' Westside. No word yet on when it airs. Stay tuned for updates.

This is awesome news for Nicole fans. With her declining role on "King of Queens", I really hope this show gets picked up. Congratulations Nicole!

Old 02/17/2005, 12:16 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Very cool, sounds interesting. At least it's not a CSI type show.

Old 02/17/2005, 2:31 AM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Ah, so once again, Nicole faces the unenviable task of trying to rise to that elusive A-list status that she so richly deserves. Well, on a slight downside, I'm not 100% sure that real estate per se has much comic potential; then again, if anyone can make it hilarious, then it's Nikki Baby. The upsides to this scenario, however, are far more interesting to consider:

(1) If there is some double-entendre significance to the title "Hot Properties," then maybe it will be one of those strong-yet-sexy-businesswoman-in-their-mid-to-late-thirties deals like "Sex and the City" or whatever; and, well, that kind of show seems to have a strong appeal to other strong yet sexy businesswomen. In other words, it might be the kind of show that, should it become successful, would have syndication potential on Oxygen during those times when Ellen and Oprah aren't bogarting the air.

(2) Put three other lookers in the cast w/ St. Sully, and men will flock to it as well. And since, as all Nic nuts know, finding even one female co-star, let alone three, who have anything on Ms. S. either talent-wise or looks-wise would be a daunting task for any casting director...or whoever does the hiring for these things. (Can't you tell I've done my homework? ) In other words, if the planets align and whatnot and if the show is successful, then Nic could emerge as its breakout star a la Teri Hatcher on "Desperate Housewives."

(3) There could be some ripple effect from the huge success of "Desperate Housewives," the show which has almost singlehandedly saved ABC. If the producers and writers play their cards right (i.e., don't try too hard to make a copycat of "DH"), then Nicole & co. might be able to ride this wave of popularity to the top of the Nielsens. (Don't you just love my metaphors? God, I certainly do.)

(4) "Hot Properties" could potentially be a far more intelligent show than Nic's last unsuccessful pilot, the D.O.A. "We Are Family." That show, from what I could tell, didn't have much of a plot or potential for mass appeal; so even if ABC had picked it up this season, then it might have done Nicole's career more harm than good in the long run. Just a theory.

In summary, therefore, two-by-four, heretofore, in other words, so to speak, I'm actually feeling quite good about this one, for some reason. Now, I know that it's way too early to get excited; after all, Nic doesn't exactly have history on her side when it comes to new pilots. Still, fingers, eyes, chest hairs, ears, and teeth crossed, "Hot Properties" might be the one that turns Nicole Sullivan into a...well...hot property. (Didn't see that one coming, eh? ) Anyhoo, best of luck w/ this one, Golden Lady!

"We can dig it!"
Old 02/17/2005, 7:18 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Hmmm...it's sad but I'm doubtful that this will get picked up. Every year since she left MADtv she has done a pilot and each year it doesn't go through.

It would be cool if it did, but I just doubt it will happen. It was weird, last year I got an e-mail from her management inviting me to the taping of the pilot. Of course I couldn't go because it would cost too much to go to LA. Anyone else get one of these invites? I'm not even sure how they got my e-mail or knew that I was a Nicole fan, but maybe it was through Planet MADtv.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 02/17/2005, 10:05 AM
Hardcore Fan

Well ABC has been hot lately with shows like "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" so maybe this could be the one that ends the curse for Nicole.
Old 02/17/2005, 4:31 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Woo! I can't help but to be optimistic. Nicole has to get a break again! Go Nicole Go!

Old 04/02/2005, 12:54 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

According to The Futon Critic, they are taping the pilot for "Hot Properties" on April 21.

They describe Nicole as having "one of the lead roles" on the show.
Old 04/02/2005, 2:52 PM
Completely Unrelated.

Awesome! Let's hope it gets picked up!

Old 04/02/2005, 2:57 PM
Hardcore Fan

She gets blown off every year let this one be different.
Old 04/02/2005, 4:01 PM
Lurking around the corner
Staff Alumnus

That's good...I hope this show makes it big...she needs another big break!

Old 04/02/2005, 4:34 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Well, if 40-something Botox queen Teri Hatcher can go from practically Z-list to A-list almost overnight, then I gotta believe that Nicole will someday make the jump from B/C+-list (or whatever the hell everyone says she is) to A-list at some point, whether it's with "Hot Properties" or some other future endeavor. Then again, considering how overrated Nicole Sullivan is...ahem, not that anyone around here actually thinks she's overrated...*achoo!**ef!**Jim Cockhurtz!**PitaPockets!**tarza!**clueless!**achoo!*

"We can dig it!"
Old 04/02/2005, 11:28 PM
Hardcore Fan

They just might have a chance to be picked up by a network since this is kind of inspired by the TV series "Desperate Housewives"
Old 04/03/2005, 10:37 AM
Goren rules

Quote:
Originally posted by mizzimad
Then again, considering how overrated Nicole Sullivan is...ahem, not that anyone around here actually thinks she's overrated...*achoo!**ef!**Jim Cockhurtz!**PitaPockets!**tarza!**clueless!**achoo!*
Lol

Good luck to Nicole, hope it gets picked up!!

...So long and thanks for all the fish...

There's a tugboat, huh, huh, down by the river dontcha know
Where a cement bag’s just a'drooppin' on down
Oh, that cement is just, it's there for the weight, dear
Five'll get ya ten old Macky’s back in town
Old 04/03/2005, 4:09 PM
I'm back, bitchesss!

Awsome Nicole. I hope everything turns out to be great.

Member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 05/17/2005, 9:22 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

According to this article, Hot Properties will air on Fridays at 8:30pm.
Old 05/17/2005, 9:52 AM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Yeah baby! Nicole finally made it! Worst part now is waiting till September...

Old 05/17/2005, 10:32 AM
Staff Alumnus

Woo! I am finally glad that Nicole has a lead role in a sitcom!

Old 05/17/2005, 11:27 AM
Where's My Money!?

This is Awesome News Finally Nicole is getting the recognition she deserves, I'm looking forward to seeing HP
*Fingers crossed* ABC-1 will show it over here

Kenny Rogers CS2 CHAMPION: Want sumthin' done right, Gotta doooo it yourself!
Young People, be less picky about who you screw cause it all feels the same in the dark

Jasmine Wayne-Wayne: Je ne sais quoi = I am an Indian.
England?......Where's That? I miss the Money

WILL SASSO IS THE KING OF MADtv
Old 05/17/2005, 2:03 PM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by elscorcho
According to this article, Hot Properties will air on Fridays at 8:30pm.
I think the newspaper that reported the story is in the Central Time Zone so the show in real life will air at 9:30 in the east coast.

Also it looks like Orlando Jones' drama didn't make the fall schedule maybe it's a midseason replacement series.
Old 05/17/2005, 9:35 PM
Staff Alumnus

this link is showing that orlando's series (The Evidence) is going to put on in midseason.