Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Cast Members
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/16/2006, 3:46 PM
Fresh Meat

Default Aries Spears on Def Comedy Jam

If anyone is interested, Aries just did a stand up routine on the latest episode of Def Comedy Jam. I didn't even know he did stand up. I think he is a very talented comedian and I always thought he was funny on the show, but I wasn't crazy about his stand up although he did have a few moments. Just thought I would pass it on for any Aries fans.

Last edited by BlueWolf; 10/17/2006 at 10:36 AM.

Old 09/29/2006, 10:10 PM
JAVAN said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post
I just saw him on The Tyra Banks Show the other day (its one of those shows that makes me yell at the tv but I can't stop watching). She was doing some segment on virgins and he had a piece where he was teaching this 39 year old virgin dude how to kiss. It was pretty lame. He basically came on the show to promote his Showtime show.

The virgin segment was reallllly creepy btw. Aries is supposedly quite the ladies man but hes no miracle worker.
buffalo-but is a ladies man? wow...btw, LOVE the tyra banks show!

Old 09/28/2006, 9:04 PM
D2F

I just saw him on The Tyra Banks Show the other day (its one of those shows that makes me yell at the tv but I can't stop watching). She was doing some segment on virgins and he had a piece where he was teaching this 39 year old virgin dude how to kiss. It was pretty lame. He basically came on the show to promote his Showtime show.

The virgin segment was reallllly creepy btw. Aries is supposedly quite the ladies man but hes no miracle worker.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent

Old 09/13/2006, 7:01 PM
Hardcore Fan

I saw Aries on Late Night With Conan O'Brien in which Mr. Spears promote his new sketch comedy series called "The Underground".

In the interview he talked about the times he met some of the people he parody in his comedy act and MADtv including Mike Tyson, Eddie Murphy and Shaquille O'Neal.

Also, There is a magazine advertising for the new series on Showtime which also features Damon Wayans and which Aries called "In Living Colour" on Steriods where the entire cast look insane and are dress in straight jackets.

Didn't the original cast of MADtv do a similar cast photo for Season 1?

Old 08/21/2006, 12:11 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
DOWNHILL RUN:

Comedian Aries Spears left "Mad TV" last year after eight years on the sketch show, and now he says the long-running show has become, well, not good. "It's gotten horrible. It's not just me saying that. I've got people coming up to me consistently saying that they think the show is unwatchable," he insists. "It's bound to happen because you have cast and writer changes so chemistry changes. Also, censorship got tightened, especially after that whole Janet Jackson thing, so things change." When asked why he left the show, Spears responds, "It was bound to happen from my end because I felt like I had run my course there. I had stopped having fun and it became just about the work. And I think they felt that I was done. I didn't like the way that they went about showing me the thanks for what I had given to the show."

Now Spears is looking forward to his next TV venture, "The Underground," premiering Sept. 14 on Showtime. The half-hour comedy sketch show is being spearheaded by Damon Wayans. "I just liken the change to Shaquille O'Neal leaving the Lakers and going to Miami. It's unfortunate that it had to be that way. I know there are a lot of fans of 'Mad' that hated to see me go, but now I feel like I have a chance to win the title with 'The Underground.'"
If MADtv sucks now, it sucked moreso when Aries' unfunny ass was stinking up the show.

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman...27267829.shtml

Old 06/11/2006, 2:40 PM
Casual Fan

OK ... I had sent Aries a quick message on myspace a few months ago, and I got a response yesterday that said something like "thanks dog! now i need you to do a big favor for me. go to my website and buy a t-shirt (blah blah blah ordering info, etc.)." Then at the bottom it said "I KNOW THIS IS AN AD BUT YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE ITS ME! DOESN'T MAD TV SUCK NOW THAT ALL THE GOOD PEOPLE ARE GONE? (then something else I can't remember).

Uh, no, Aries, I don't think I'll be buying anything from your site.

Old 06/11/2006, 12:39 PM

I was bored and browsing some old VHS's and noticed over two years old Aries' interview from Late Night with Conan O'Brien. I threw it to youtube, if you're interested seeing it. Quality sucks, there's two big black tiles and Finnish subtitles.

Religion is like farting: we like our own but hate everyone elses.
-Homer Simpson

Old 04/04/2006, 4:16 PM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ McC
I never liked Aries, other than a few (and I mean a few) of his impressions. He just wasn't funny, seemed arrogant, often stole a scene that he didn't belong in. Just plain annoying.
That is exactly how I feel!

Old 04/04/2006, 2:19 PM
Hardcore Fan

Wow!

Aries' post MADtv career has really "taken off" since last year.

Old 04/03/2006, 8:13 PM
Totally F****able

Aries is currently on "Mind Of Mencia" right now as a singer in a parody about Kanye West

Old 03/09/2006, 8:01 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Aries continues to spread his comedic wings with the development of feature film projects, which he is currently involved in writing. He is presently developing a feature project based on an original character that he created on Mad TV, as well as a thriller about a young black man immersed in hip-hop culture.

Old 03/09/2006, 2:10 PM

Aries' homepage is finally updated and now it looks like a real home site, not just crappy fanbased site you've done using Notepad. http://www.ariesspears.com/

Religion is like farting: we like our own but hate everyone elses.
-Homer Simpson

Old 01/13/2006, 6:56 PM
Casual Fan

I never liked Aries, other than a few (and I mean a few) of his impressions. He just wasn't funny, seemed arrogant, often stole a scene that he didn't belong in. Just plain annoying.

Old 01/12/2006, 9:26 PM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

Though he left his spot on the cast of ``MAD TV'' last year, Aries Spears is a busy man.

The comedian is trying to sell his comedy CD ``I Ain't Scared,'' is working on getting his next film gig, and is getting ready to fly out to Gary Fields' Comedy Club in Kalamazoo, where he'll be Friday and Saturday.

The life of Spears is ``a lot of hysteria,'' he said via a cell-phone connection that kept breaking up as he drove around the Hollywood hills. What he's excited about is a part in the horror/comedy spoof ``Urban Sprawl,'' starring Snoop Dogg. He had just left a lunch meeting on it. ``We hope it'll be out this spring.''

Anything else for Spears? ``That's about it right now. I can only handle so much at one time.''

For his stand-up act, ``I like to try to give people what they watch and what they ask for, what they like on the show (``MAD TV''), and maybe some things that they may not expect.''

Spears, 30, began in the clubs at a tender age of 14. He played around his home state of New Jersey and the New York area. He was spotted by the producers of HBO's ``Def Comedy Jam,'' on which he made his debut at 16. From there he landed spots on ``A Different World,'' ``Brisco County Jr.'' and many others. In film Spears has been in ``The Pest'' and was Cuba Gooding Jr.'s brother in ``Jerry Maguire.''

On ``MAD TV'' since 1997, he's noted for being ``El Diablo Negro,'' ``Mother Love,'' the center of the ``Talkin' American'' sketch, and for impressions of Bill Cosby, Al Pacino, Michael Jackson and a crowd of others.

In his stage act he may star as Cosby and Eddie Murphy fighting over the last unappetizing piece of meat in the disaster/cannibal movie ``Alive,'' do dirty jokes as Redd Foxx, or speculate on why ``white women always trip'' in horror movies.

Spears doesn't hold back on the ``white people are like this, but black people are like this'' type of comedy.

``There's always something from the race card, because that's a part of life,'' he said. ``We reinvented the book a little bit on some of that material. Of course Richard Pryor wrote it, but then he invented it. You just try to put an interesting spin on what has been done before, and will continue to be done.''

Spears' is adult humor and messes with racial topics, but he doesn't try to be controversial -- not too controversial, anyway. A review of his CD on comedy-gags-jokes.com begins: ```I Ain't Scared' is a good comedy CD with a very offensive cover.''

So, why did Spears picture himself about to be lynched by hooded KKK members on his CD?

It seemed like a good idea -- he just doesn't understand why some get upset over it. ``Yeah, I don't know why,'' he said. ``You see the cover, and that's all you see, so you think that's where it begins and ends. Actually, if you turn to the back of the CD, that's where the comedy is, the contrast. Because the back picture kind of has the answer to that.''

On the back, the klansmen have dropped their hoods and their rope and are smiling along with Spears, apparently since they've just been joined by scantily clad women in the woods. ``White babes,'' Spears pointed out.

That's the kind of world Spears wants, free of hate and full of buxom women. ``It'd be a lot more interesting place, wouldn't it?''

Old 01/04/2006, 10:54 PM

I met Aries once; he was pretty cool. I was never really a very big fan of him, though... But he was pretty funny at times.

Old 11/01/2005, 3:42 PM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Dartanian
... and when you're not, you get booed out of comedy clubs and thrown out of radio stations. Kidding!

ROFL!

Old 11/01/2005, 3:37 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by MysterE
"When you're good at doing it, it's just a connection you make with the audience."
... and when you're not, you get booed out of comedy clubs and thrown out of radio stations. Kidding!

Old 11/01/2005, 3:31 PM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

Spears takes pride in straight stand-up
Tuesday, November 01, 2005
By Rachael Recker
The Grand Rapids Press
GRAND RAPIDS -- Comedian Aries Spears said he believes his former television persona speaks for itself.

The 30-year-old Chicago native, provided a national spotlight eight years ago when he was a "MadTV" cast member, headed out on his own in 2004.

"It was great, but, you know, it's just time to move on," Spears said from a New York tour stop.

And moving on means moving back to his comedic origins: the comedy-club circuit.

"(I'm) just working on my stand-up right now," said Spears. He said local audiences this weekend can expect to see what he's already given them on the tube.

"I mean, I just always say people (who) are familiar with me from 'MadTV' generally will get what they've been seeing on the show."

For those who aren't familiar with the multi-genre comedian from that show or his appearances on HBO's "Def Comedy Jam" and Fox's "Best Damn Sports Show Period" -- or his film credits such as "Jerry Maguire," "Why Do Fools Fall In Love," "Josie and the Pussycats" and "Jiminy Glick in Lalawood" -- it's worthwhile to note Spears enjoys exploring comedy "that people can relate to" via everyday experiences, drawn from his personal life.

He also taps "stuff in the news, politics."

Spears -- whose first name coincidentally aligns with his zodiac sign -- began comedy at age 14. He said he "always had a good time being funny, liking the attention."

Ultimately pursuing a career that has resulted in two CDs, Spears said the most enjoyable aspect of stand-up is his relationship with the audience.

"When you're good at doing it, it's just a connection you make with the audience. It's pretty cool."

That connection directly relates to the bond-building qualities of humor; the comedian said he does not have "a particular style" or concerted stage presence but knows how to hit a funny bone or two.

"I think, at the end of the day, comedy is comedy (and) stand-up is stand-up to me."

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/g...040.xml&coll=6

Old 10/10/2005, 12:36 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Yeah I posted about it a while back in the myspace thread in the rumor mill after I got a friend request from him.

Old 10/10/2005, 12:35 PM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

Default Aries @ myspace

This was sent in to us by a visitor....

http://myspace.com/ariesspears