Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Cast Members
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/07/2006, 3:18 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

MADtv was cool, he guesses?!!? For shame!

Glad to hear about his show. As long as it isn't chock full of Bush and Madden every episode, I'd be happy to watch,

Old 10/07/2006, 12:06 PM
D2F

I heard Frank Caliendo on the Opie and Anthony show on XM satellite radio last week. I'm really not a fan of his impressions, but it was kind of cool to hear him talk about stuff in his own voice for a few seconds before he started off on the Madden/Bush/etc stuff.

What was really funny was that everyone who is familiar with Opie and Anthony know that they are really big on "cringe humor" and are rather raw on their uncensored XM only segment of the show. Frank doesn't "work blue" and so you could tell how uncomfortable he was at certain parts of his stay on the show. It was hilarious to hear him squirm

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent

Old 10/07/2006, 10:52 AM
Fresh Meat

I just found out Frank's getting his own show. Weren't Nicole S and Alex getting their own separate shows ages ago or something. I found this article on him which I posted below(sorry if it's been posted already). Where he says his show is going to be a sketch show like "Chappelle's Show" but with more pop culture and impressions. Isn't that what Madtv is but without the recurring characters? Hope the show works out for him.

Frank Caliendo channels many voices
Daily Kent Slater

Comedians are busy people - especially Frank Caliendo.

From finishing with "MadTV" to doing his own show while traveling on tour, he can rarely stop to talk.

Luckily, the impressionist/comedian was able to be interviewed via e-mail to talk about his experiences in comedy.

Andrew Gaug: Before becoming a comedian, what did you want to be?

Frank Caliendo: I went to school at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and thought I was going to get into broadcasting, doing like an ESPN kind of thing. I always loved sports and the comedy you could do while doing that job.

AG: When was it that you realized you wanted to become a comedian? Was there a certain album or concert you saw that just made you be like, "That's what I want to do"?

FC: I guess after watching some early Robin Williams stuff - his first HBO special was great. I always loved "Saturday Night Live" and thought that would be something I'd aspire to do. "In Living Color" was also a great inspiration.

At one point, I just decided I didn't want to work for real, and I jumped into the comedy world, and now I'm working a hundred times harder than I ever would have worked at a desk job.

AG: How was the experience trying to break into the comedy circuit?

FC: I got to move up pretty fast. Very few people do what I do with the impressions, and I have jokes to go with the voices and mannerisms of the people I do impressions of, so that allowed me to get noticed by people. I was an opening act for about six months and then I got on the college circuit by myself. Within two years I was nominated college comedian of the year. I didn't win.

AG: How did you feel when you made it onto "MadTV"?

FC: "MadTV" was pretty cool, I guess. I never even had to audition for it, really. I'd met with them a couple years before and then went on to do a WB train-wreck show called "Hype." But once "Hype" was canceled, they just put me on "MadTV."

AG: Do you spend much time perfecting your impersonations before bringing them out onstage?

FC: Definitely. I don't just try them out on stage - I work them for a while and see if I can get some friends, etc. to laugh. I'll do them on radio for a while to get comfortable with them, too. It's easier to do them that way because I can bounce them off of people and they can fill in the unfunny parts.

AG: Have you ever done an impersonation where you thought afterward "Wow, I'll never do that again"?

FC: Not really. If it's not that good I just make it cartoony. Like my Dick Cheney impression - it's not spot-on. It's more like a caricature.

AG: Outside of an audience, is there a certain person or friend you go to to make sure your impersonations sound good to other people?

FC: Not really anyone specific, everyone hears things differently. The audience is the only way to know if one is funny.

AG: I've noticed that your George W. Bush impersonation lampoons the president as a goofy person but doesn't politicize it. Do you try and stray away from being overtly political?

FC: Definitely. I don't like to offend. It's about making people laugh and be happy. You don't learn too much from me -?other than people's behavior.

AG: How many people come up to you and refer to you as "The John Madden Guy"? Does it bother you?

FC: I guess some, (but) not as much as they used to. The Bush impression gets more people nowadays, I think. It's more in the forefront.

Nah, it doesn't bother me a bit. You have to find a niche in this business - I did. Heck, I wouldn't even mind being "Screech."

AG: You mentioned you're very busy. Besides touring, what keeps you busy?

FC: My family. I'm always trying to be with them when I'm not on the road. I have a wife, Michele, from Lorain, who I met in Cleveland, and a 2-year-old son named Joey and 2-month old named Juliet.

TV also takes up time. I have to be involved in writing and shooting a bit for the NFL pregame every week. It takes up a lot of time.

AG: Can you give any details about your upcoming TV show?

FC: It's a sketch show - my own sketch show doing the bits I've always wanted to do. (It's similar) to "Mind of Mencia" or "Chappelle's Show," but with my slant on stuff. (It has) more impression/pop culture stuff than their shows.

AG: Are there any comedians out right now who have really impressed you?

FC: Brian Regan, Dave Attell, Lewis Black, Dane Cook. I just like people who do their own thing, who go out there and have fun.

AG: If you sum up your entire experience as a comedian in one word, what would it be?

FC: Lucky.

Last edited by stephweir_rocks; 12/21/2006 at 6:48 AM.

Old 09/10/2006, 3:17 PM
Bender: still great

Maybe cartman actually really likes Frank Caliendo, but is too ashamed to admit it, and instead, insists on saying how much he dislikes him? It's ok cartman, we know your secret, you don't have to keep it from us any longer...

"Say it, say 'Frank Caliendo Rocks!'"

"No because Frank is not funny and his impressions suck."

*zap*

Old 09/10/2006, 3:06 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Cartman why do you post so much in this thread if you don't like Frank? O_o

Old 09/10/2006, 11:39 AM
Hardcore Fan

Did anyone watch FOX NFL Pregame show with Frank Caliendo on?

Old 09/10/2006, 10:38 AM

In your face cartman2002!!

Old 09/10/2006, 10:20 AM
Fresh Meat

Thumbs Up Frank Was Great In Irvine

I saw Frank at the Impro in Irvine last night and I couldn't stop laughing. He was fantastic! He mentioned a couple of things I hadn't heard before, which I assumed he wasn't joking about.

First, he said he recently performed in Congress with Dick Cheney sitting next to him. Naturally he did his Dubya impressions to (suprisingly) the great amusement of Cheney. He said Cheney, who normally appears to be a pretty dour guy, was laughing his butt off. He did a bit in which he compared Cheney's laugh to that of the Burgess Meredith's Penguin on the old Batman show. It was hilarious!

Second, he said Madden is apparently not too pleased with his impressions. He said his manager or agent or someone associated with him (I don't remember which) ran into Madden and asked him what he thought of Frank and his impression. Madden's response was a curt "I don't like it." The guy needs to loosen up. Frank's impressions of him are hilarious and he should be flattered. My wife didn't even know who John Madden was, but she does now thanks to Frank.

Just thought I would share that with you. If Frank comes to a club near you I highly recommend you go. It was standing room only and worth every penny. Frank is fantastic!

Old 09/04/2006, 8:43 AM
Hardcore Fan

Did he do Jerry Lewis on the Jerry Lewis' Telethon and was Mr. Lewis was up when Frank was on the air?

Old 09/04/2006, 2:18 AM
JAVAN said so.

post #100!!!! YAY!!!
anyway, he's on the Jerry Lewis Telethon doing impressions as i type...

Old 08/22/2006, 2:48 PM
Hardcore Fan

He does do a good impression of Bush, he just does it WAY too often.

Old 08/20/2006, 4:38 PM
0ld sk00l

LMFAO, I'm glad Frank was a semi-good sport about it. I wonder if he ever battled the show to NOT do another countless Bush/Madden/whatever else sketch..

My Fanfics

Old 08/20/2006, 11:58 AM
Hawt bytch
Staff Alumnus

I'm on cartman's side. Good for him I wish a Aries Spears or someone would have specifically acknowledged me for hating them.

Selena Luna = Best. Castmember. Ever.

Old 08/20/2006, 11:53 AM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

BOOs and HISSes in the general direction of cartman2002!!!

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!

Old 08/19/2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Uh, huh... Cartman2002 of
Planetmadtv.... your dreams will finally come true-- ha-- how fast before this
gets posted on the site????????
Own3d.

Quote:
A revamp is definitely what is needed the last couple seasons post season 8 had potential to be a lot better than they were hopefully they have learnt from some of the past mistakes.
Although last season wasn't any better than S9/10 (hell it was even worse), by the end of last season you could tell it was taking a turn for the better. The final episode was full of original sketches...whether it being a sign of the writers just wanting to go out on a bang, or whether they finally realized "hey...we need to start improving, and fast" won't be proven until later this season, though. That, plus Frank and Nicole RJ look really good, all keeps me psyched for S12.

Old 08/19/2006, 10:27 PM
I AM A ROBOT ALLIGATOR

I wonder what he means by "revamped".

Old 08/19/2006, 9:33 PM
His senses were dimmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatMeWorry View Post
but others will be very happy (Uh, huh... Cartman2002 of
gets posted on the site???????? (Unfortunately, I agreed with some of your
comments about my stuff--ugh, another John Madden sketch? come on!!!!!!!!!!!--
Well.. maybe that's not perfect, I might need to get hit by a semi to make your
dream come true).
This is amazing and unreal and maybe the coolest thing ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatMeWorry View Post
Oh, did i mention I have a pilot for my own show? We'll be shooting in
Sept/Oct. I'm acting, writing, and exec producing on it... It's tentatively
called "Chappelle's show"... but I think we'll have to change the name because
of a possible law suit. I just thought name recognition would be good for the
show.... Maybe I'll just call it "Mind of Caliencia"... Wait... just got a note
from the lawyer on that one, too.
Hahaha I lol'd. But I think Frank could definately get his own show similar to the Chapelle's show. I hope his pilot works out well.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards

Old 08/19/2006, 8:36 PM
I AM A ROBOT ALLIGATOR

Wheel Gator wonders what he means by "revamped".

Last edited by Wheel Gator; 09/04/2006 at 9:20 PM. Reason: WHEEL GATOR

Old 08/19/2006, 8:20 PM
26/07/16!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
This new theme song idea has been brough up before, but I just don't see that happening. Friends never changed their theme song, most all popular shows don't change theme songs. But I'm still excited for the new revamp. New writers, perhaps? I'd like new credits, though.
A revamp is definitely what is needed the last couple seasons post season 8 had potential to be a lot better than they were hopefully they have learnt from some of the past mistakes.

Old 08/19/2006, 7:49 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Some people will be sad I'm gone -- (Yes, you, Eric Matilano (a guy who emailed
me last week)... but others will be very happy (Uh, huh... Cartman2002 of
gets posted on the site???????? (Unfortunately, I agreed with some of your
comments about my stuff--ugh, another John Madden sketch? come on!!!!!!!!!!!--
Well.. maybe that's not perfect, I might need to get hit by a semi to make your
dream come true).
LMAO.